她是一个很好的偶像
You know, she was a really good idol to have.
非常感谢
Thank you so much.
从某种意义上说 我非常天真
In a sense, I was super naive and like,
就像喝酷爱牌饮料一样上头得有点太快了
almost drank the Kool- Aid, like, a little too quickly,
更热衷于成为其团队一员
and was just more enthusiastic to be a part of the team.
你们都是一场革命的一部分
You all are part of something that is a revolution,
你们都是将改变我们世界的一部分
and you're part of something that is going to change our world.
生活中还有什么比能够做到这一点更崇高的目标吗
What higher purpose is there in life than to be able to be doing that?
我去面试的时候 Elizabeth就在那里
When I went on an interview, Elizabeth was there.
我有点惊讶 觉得自己就是个无名小卒
and I was a little surprised, considering I would be the low man on the totem pole
后来我发现所有人的雇佣都要经过她
I found out later there was no one that got past her in order to get hired.
我知道这听起来很奇怪
I know this sounds odd,
但我的第一印象是她都不眨眼
but my first impression was that she didn't blink.
所以 我一直想确保我跟他人保持很好的眼神交会
And so, I always wanted to make sure that I kept great eye contact
因为我不想成为到处乱看的那个人
'cause I didn't want to be the one to look over, right?
她非常紧张
Uh, so, she was very intense.
与我在旧金山湾区对其他科技公♥司♥
Comparing it to the other interviews that I had
做的采访相比 这次情况有所不同
with other tech companies in the Bay Area, it was different.
他们几乎没有告诉我他们在做什么
You know, they didn't tell me nearly as much about what they were doing.
她在接受采访时从不眨眼
She never blinked during the interview.
她确实告诉过我关于那一滴血的事
She did tell me about just the one drop of blood,
还有医疗检测公♥司♥
and you know, medical testing company
他们没有说它是如何运作的
Um, they didn't say anything about how it worked,
或是它的技术是什么
or what the technology was.
他们只说"你的工作和生产耗材相关"
They just said, "You'll be working with consumables,"
这种模棱两可的话
which was kind of vague.
- 他们如何描述这个项目的 - 他们没有说过
- How did they describe the project? - They didn't.
那么你怎么知道你是来做什么
So, how did you know what you were signing on for?
我有一个非常模糊的想法 但我不知道
You know, I had a very vague idea, but I didn't.
这情况在初创公♥司♥里并不少见
That's actually not that untypical in startup environments.
他们想对自己所做的事保密
They want to keep what they're doing secret.
大型实验室公♥司♥的反应是
The response of the major lab companies was to say, "Well, we don't know
- 我们不知道他们在做什么 怎么做 - 没错
- how they're doing what they're doing." And- - - Exactly.
如果它真的很棒的话 他们为什么不展示出来呢
And if it's so great, why don't they show it?
他们太过保密了
There's too much secrecy is what they said.
没错 他们就是这么说的
Right, that's exactly what they said.
我们的立场是
And, you know, our position on that is,
首先 我们认为我们不需要向竞争对手解释自己
first of all, we don't think that we need to explain ourselves to competitive companies.
我们正在努力发明一种集成解决方案
What we're working to do is to invent an integrated solution
所有人可以
where every person gets access
通过几滴血获取丰富的信息
to this wealth of information from tiny droplets of blood,
并观察它们是如何随着时间的推移而变化的
and then see how they change over time.
她谈到了如今
She talked some about currently,
人们可能每年做一次血液检测
you get a blood test maybe once a year,
你能获得的信息就像一张张快照一样
and so you get a snapshot of what's going on.
如果你每个月做一次的话 就会获得一部电影
If you were to start doing it every month, say, you would get a movie.
你有了电影的多个画面
You have multiple frames from that movie,
你就可以开始看到预测某人前进方向的背景
and you can begin to see the context of projecting where someone is heading.
随着时间的推移 你会看到实验室数据的变化
You're seeing changes in laboratory data over time,
并了解其临床意义
and understanding the clinical significance of that.
这些数据可以更有意义地被使用
The data can be used in a more meaningful way.
这是个人化医疗
It was personalized medicine.
也许你可以早些发现一些问题
Maybe you could catch something very early.
你可以早些发现患了癌症
You know, you could catch an early cancer,
或是早些发现患了...在还来得及的时候
or you could get- - you know, when there was still time.
这是一个宏大的愿景
This was sort of the vast vision.
爱迪生的概念是把实验室放进一个盒子里
So, the idea with the Edison was to stick the lab inside the box.
因为它包含了许多不同的学科
Because it incorporates so many different disciplines,
所以很难做到这一点
it's hard to pull this off.
把这些所有不同的部件放进机器里
There's all these different components that go into the machine.
有离心机 有放样本的小东西
There's a centrifuge, there's a... a little thing the samples go into.
还有戳刺获得血的方法
There's a way to prick the blood.
所有这些都还是技术原型
All these things were prototypes, right?
首先看一下化学家们在做什么
The first thing is, you look at what the chemists are doing.
- 没错 - 对吧
- Right. - Right?
因为你正在把别人已经在做的事情自动化
Because you're automating what somebody is already doing.
你不是在创造全新的东西
You're not inventing something totally new.
产品运行的流程就像一种舞蹈
I'm going to have to have a kind of dance, let's say, right?
得把这个东西放到位
I'm going to have to have this thing go to the place,
摄取 释出 混合等
pick up something, drop off something, mix something, etcetera.
想法是用移液管
The idea was the pipette
在这些装有试剂的塑料
poked holes into these little plastic containers
小容器上扎一些洞
with reagents in them.
使得一部分试剂与血液混合
It mixes some of the reagents with blood.
我的小组负责开展
My group was responsible for developing
约60种不同的检验
about 60 different tests,
并试图用爱迪生来完成这些检验
and trying to get those to work on the Edisons.
难点在于怎么使结果具有可信度
The trick was how do you make it dependable,
然后怎么合并成一个涉及
then how do you incorporate it into a bigger process
50毫升样品的更大的程序
that involves these 50 milliliter samples?
这是一个复杂的设备
It was a complex device.
有很多移♥动♥的零件 很复杂的系统
You know, a lot of moving parts, and a complicated system.
要达到所有这些功能不简单 所以
It's not easy to do all this stuff, so it was...
我觉得我们能做到
You know, I figured we'd get there.
那时候我们觉得我们在通往
We felt we were on the path
成功的道路上 能让机器做到这件事
to be able to make machines that could do this.
Elizabeth Holmes 我们正在录音 除非你说不愿意
Elizabeth Holmes, we're on the record unless you tell me not.
我要开始了 当你回忆起自己的童年时
Let me begin. When you think about yourself as a child...
我采访了她好几次
I had multiple interviews with her,
有一次是在帕洛阿尔托的一家中餐厅里
but one of them was to go to a Chinese restaurant in Palo Alto.
那里的菜很好吃
And it was really good food.
我很幸运 能够在很年轻的时候
I had the blessing of being able to figure out
就想清楚了
- what I...
谢谢 我要做的事
Thank you. ...wanted to do very early.
我对于创造发明的概念很有兴趣
And I was very interested in the concept of creating things.
我当时大概是 七岁吧 我在一个笔记本里
I must've been, like, seven, and I had a notebook
画了一个时间机器的完整设计图
of a complete design for a time machine.
设计图非常详细
It was a very detailed drawing
在使用界面方面 功能齐全
of all the functionality, in terms of the interface.
我在创造和建造东西上
I got really interested in the idea
兴趣十足
of creating and building something.
可是最终 我清楚地认识到
But ultimately, it became clear to me
企业的载体是
that the vehicle of a business provides
影响变革的最佳工具
the greatest tool for being able to affect change.
我以前非常用功
I was very studious.
我都不怎么看电视
I never really watched TV.
我上学的时候
As I went through school and went through high school,
最好的朋友是 书本
my best friends were... were books.
我很小的时候就看了白鲸
I got into Moby Dick and The Iliad and The Odyssey
荷马史诗和奥德赛
at a pretty young age.
理解伟大的人和伟大的领导者们
Understanding how great people and great leaders
怎么领导一大群人
led groups of people.
我们的社会在科技上进步了很多
So much changes in our society technologically,
可是作为人类 我们并没有改变多少
but as humans, we don't change a lot, you know?
斯坦福周围的科技气氛很浓厚
This is a high tech atmosphere around Stanford.
因特网 创业公♥司♥ 生物科技 还有医药行业等
Internet, the startups, the biotech, and medicine.
我1984年开始在此执教
I started on the faculty here in 1984.
现在我是终身教授了
I'm currently a tenured professor.
我在一些公♥司♥担任过董事
And I was on boards of companies,
包括很多私营和上市公♥司♥
many private and public companies,
我自己也创建过一两个公♥司♥
and I started a couple of companies.
所以那些对做生意
So, I tend to be sought out
有兴趣的孩子们倾向于找到我
by kids who have an interest in business.
然后他们还赚钱了
And people have made fortunes.
学生们 年轻人
Students, young people,
变成了千万富翁
turn into multimillionaires.
这造成了一种奇怪的道德观
It makes for an odd morality.
我在斯坦福上学的时候 我开始用所有的时间
When I was at Stanford, I started to spend all my time
来思考 在早期检测和预防方面
thinking about how you could build something
是否可以发明点什么
that would change what we know
电影精选列表