他们必须稀释纳米容器里的血液
They had to dilute the nanotainers
才能在西门子的设备里进行检测
to run it on the Siemens machines,
但是这些设备原本不是这么用的
which was not how they were supposed to be used,
因此临床实验室的工作人员
and so people who worked in the clinical lab
对这种违反操作规范的行为
were nervous about that because they were violating
非常担忧
the operating standards for those devices,
要知道 因为要用于检测疾病
which, you know, are rigorous standards
这些操作流程都极为严谨
since they're being used to test people for diseases.
我们在伪造结果
We were fudging results,
重复进行质检直到达标
rerunning quality control tests until they passed.
那时的解决方案是
The solution at some point was,
如果其他三组数据看起来不错
You know, If you just throw out that one data point,
就忽略一组不好的数据
then the other three look beautiful.
这不是解决问题的方法
And that's not the way you approach,
这可是人命关天的技术
science that's going to be impacting people's lives.
有些员工不得不在
There were people who had to run tests
他们自己都不相信的设备上进行检测
on devices that they knew weren't working,
并把这些结果提供给患者
and give those results to patients.
工作人员压力都很大 经常崩溃哭泣
People were very upset, you know, crying.
实验室的员工甚至
Some members of the CLIA lab would even
要打电♥话♥通知病人
have to call patients and tell them that they had to go
由于检测结果过于反常 他们需要去看急诊
to the emergency room 'cause the lab test was, you know, so far off.
最终令我受不了的是
What really hit home for me is
我们开始做更多传染病检测
we were starting to do more infectious disease.
丙肝 前列腺癌
Hepatitis C, prostate cancer,
甚至是梅毒
and even syphilis.
我在进行梅毒精确检测
I was running precision testing for syphilis,
这项检测有很多参考变量
and there was a lot of variability in the test,
但Theranos说
but Theranos said, "This is safe to use
这技术用在临床上是安全的
on real patient samples."
我真的震惊了
And I was kind of blown away.
如果一百个梅毒患者
If a hundred people who had syphilis
在Theranos设备上做检测
came and got tested on the Theranos devices,
我们只能检出其中65人
we would only tell 65 of them that they had syphilis,
那我们就会告诉剩下的35人
and we would tell the other 35,
你们完全健康 不需要治疗
"You're healthy. No need for medical intervention."
所以 如果人们依靠Theranos来检测梅毒
So, if, people are testing themselves for syphilis using Theranos,
那这世界上可要有更多梅毒患者了
there's going to be a lot more syphilis in this world.
他们的垮台始于
Their downfall was when they started
我们发现他们的检测结果
giving us results that were not matching up
与其他实验室的检测结果不符
with other labs.
我们最早发现的是TSH
We started seeing that, at first, with TSHs,
也就是促甲状腺激素
which is the thyroid stimulating hormone.
有些复诊患者
Patients that had been coming to us for years
常年进行TSH检查
to get their TSH done,
他们去Theranos做检查
they had gone to Theranos and their labs
得到的结果与平常相比变化太大
were changing really drastically.
所以我们把样本送到独♥立♥医学实验室
So, we started sending them to LabCorp,
来进行确认
just to verify, and that's when we started
那时起 我们发现了很多异常结果
seeing some pretty abnormal results.
我能理解
I understand how a patient
病人们想要自行订购血液检测
would wanna order their own labs,
但他们拿到结果却无法分♥析♥
but then they get it and they don't know what to do with it,
或者上谷歌♥
or they go on Google
瞎搜索一堆
and Google everything under the sun,
然后发现自己得了癌症
and see that they have cancer, so...
- 其实并没有 - 对 其实并没有
- When they don't. - When they don't!
当你发现到底有不少结果是错的
When you read about how many tests were actually wrong...
- 嗯哼 - 这让你担心吗
- Mm- hmm. - ...did that concern you?
当然了 因为我也给我和孩子们
It did because I had some of those tests
买♥♥了一些检测项目
performed on me and my children!
我吓坏了
I did!
所以我赶快去了
So, I immediately went back to...
其他大的检测公♥司♥
the other big lab companies,
重新进行了同样的检测
and got my test done, the same test done,
比对结果 真的差距很大
and I compared them, and there was a big difference.
所以 真的很恐怖
So, yeah, it was scary.
非常恐怖
It was very scary.
有很多人联♥系♥我们 感谢我们
There are so many people who reach out to us and thank us.
有一个哥们 他说 幸亏有Theranos
This one guy, he said, "Thank God for Theranos."
有几家公♥司♥能得到这样的评价呢
I mean, how many times you say that about companies?
你买♥♥他们的产品 但你会说 幸亏有优步吗
You buy a product, and do you ever say, "Thank God for Uber?"
也许有时会哈 但是
Well, maybe sometimes, but- -
但你每天都会想说 幸亏有Theranos
But you will say thank God for Theranos every day,
因为每次你需要进行血液检测的时候
because every time you need a lab test,
每次你的家人需要血液检测的时候
every time your family needs a test...
对于给患者提供这些检测
I couldn't feel comfortable
我真的不赞同
with running these tests on patients
因为最终
because, at the end of the day,
我不会用它做检测
I wouldn't run them on myself.
我也不会让我的家人做检测
I wouldn't run them on my family members.
这样真的不可理喻
And it just didn't make sense that,
对于这些检测
internally, we had so little faith
我们毫无信心
in these tests,
但我们依然向患者提供结果
but we're still resulting them on patients.
前所未有的透明度
Unprecedented transparency...
我终于决定 不能再这样了
I finally decided enough is enough.
我去Sunny的办公室 对他说
I went into Sunny's office and I said,
当检测结果有问题 或者我们操作有误时
"We're not letting patients know
患者们并不知情
when these results are false or when we make a mistake."
但实际上 他却说
And effectively, what he did is said,
你凭什么觉得你有资格这么说
"What makes you think you're qualified to make that call?"
赶紧回去好好工作
And, "You need to just sit down and do your job."
谢谢
Thank you.
那时候 我知道了
At that point, I knew.
这家公♥司♥在做的事是令人无法接受的
It's just unacceptable what this company is doing,
我不想成为骗局的一员
and I don't want to be a part of that.
你们在研发的技术
The kind of technologies that you're building
真的在改变人们每天的生活
practically are changing people's lives every single day.
我无法理解怎么会有人能说这么久的谎
I couldn't understand how someone could continuously lie.
这真的改变了我对她的看法
It really changed my perception of her.
这个人
That, okay, this person,
扮演了这样一个
you know, plays this role of,
想要为人们提供保健服务
you know, wanting to make health care more accessible,
想要利用新科技
of really trying to leverage innovative new technologies
解决医疗领域问题的角色
to solve this huge problem that we have in health care,
但都是假象
but it's all a show.
我童年时期的暑假
I grew up spending summers and the holidays
- 是和我叔叔一起度过的 我非常爱他 - 我清晰的记得
-with my uncle. I remember how much I loved him. - I have a really vivid memory.
- 很爱他 - 他还好
- I loved him so much. - He was fine.
有一天他被诊断为皮肤癌
He was diagnosed one day with skin cancer...
- 非常突然 - 有一天他得了脑癌
- All of a sudden, - And one day, he has brain cancer...
- 之后他得了骨癌 - 突然之间
- And in his bones... - All of a sudden...
他离世得非常突然
He was gone before I ever got to...
- 我叔叔 - 我叔叔
- My uncle... - My uncle...
每当我想起Theranos
When I think of Theranos,
就感觉有两个完全不同的世界
I really feel like there were two entirely different worlds.
一个是铺着地毯的办公室
There was the carpeted world,
一个是铺着瓷砖的实验室
and there was the tiled world.
在铺着地毯的办公室 Elizabeth是个女神
In the carpeted world was where Elizabeth was a goddess.
每个人 甚至会膜拜她走过的土地
Everyone, you know, almost worshiped the ground she walked on.
她完美无缺 她是下一个Steve Jobs
She could do no wrong. She was the next Steve Jobs.
Theranos正在改变世界
Theranos was changing the world.
然后我们走进实验室 到处都是问题
And then you go into the tiled side and nothing works.
我们要完蛋了
We're on a sinking ship.
一切都是谎言
Everything's a lie.
在两个世界间切换
Reconciling the differences between
对我来说太难了
those two worlds was really hard for me to do.
我和Elizabeth的私交
I knew Elizabeth personally from all these
她和我家人的关系
interactions through my family,
电影精选列表