我太太都要拿起武器了
my wife was about to pick an iron out,
烙铁就放在壁炉旁边 她就要敲他了
hand iron right out of the fireplace and clobber him.
我祖父把我们隔开
My grandfather physically separates us,
让Theranos的律师们去客厅
and puts the Theranos lawyers in the living room,
我在餐厅
and I'm in the dining room,
他在两个房♥间之间斡旋
and he's going between the two rooms negotiating--
- 像一个国务卿一样 - 没错 像一个国务卿一样
- Like a Secretary of State. - Yeah, like a Secretary of State.
我祖父似乎
And my grandfather seemed like he had grown--
对Elizabeth和Theranos的忠诚又加深了
that his allegiance to Elizabeth and Theranos had grown even stronger.
您对Ms. Holmes有很高的评价
Do you have a high opinion of Ms. Holmes?
是的
Yes.
您相信Ms. Holmes在跟您的来往中
Do you believe that Ms. Holmes was truthful
是诚实的吗
with you in all of your interactions with her?
是的 我相信
Yes, I think so.
在她跟您的来往中
In any of her interactions with you,
她做了任何让您觉得
did Ms. Holmes ever do anything
她可能在欺骗您的事情吗
to give you reason to believe that she was trying to deceive you?
没有
No.
从那时开始
Yeah, that's when...
律师们成了我生活的一个重要部分
lawyers became a really big part of my life.
他们威胁要告我
They were threatening to sue me for
违反了保密协议
violating my nondisclosure agreement,
泄露商业秘密
for giving up trade secrets.
好几次 我接到出庭通知
Many times, I had written notices to appear in court,
然后快到出庭时间的时候 他们就取消
and at the last minute, they would cancel it.
我父母总共花了四、五十万美元在律师费用上
Overall, my parents spent between 400 and $500,000 in legal fees.
那个时候情况恶化到
It was getting to the point where
他们说他们可以卖♥♥掉房♥子
we would need it to find money somewhere, so they...
来筹集资金
they said that they would sell their house
帮助我打这个官司
to keep fighting this legal battle.
我后来跟一个律师谈了
So, I ended up talking to a lawyer,
他说 他们就是想要吓唬我
and they said, they're trying to scare you.
他说 你可以做的其中一件事是当告密者
And he said, one of the options that you can do is you can whistle-blow.
如果跟监管部门合作的话你可以得到保护
You could be protected if you talked to a regulatory agency.
我当时觉得 什么监管机构 怎么操作
And I'm like, what regulatory agency? How do you that?
我非常紧张 不敢发出这封信 甚至有点不敢写
I've been nervous to send or even write this letter.
Theranos把保密这事做得非常极端
Theranos takes confidentiality and secrecy to an extreme level...
临床实验室经常出现错误
Mistakes always happen in a clinical lab,
但是发生在Theranos的事情是完全的失职
but what went on in Theranos was complete negligence
说实话从很多角度来说感觉都是在犯罪了
and honestly felt criminal in many ways.
高层管理一直在为他们的不安找借口
Upper level management constantly made excuses for their misgivings...
但是他们继续...
but they continue to...
我不觉得这完全是个残酷的骗局
I don't feel like it's sort of a cold- blooded scam, right?
一开始可能
It just seems it started off
是个很小的谎言
as something small, like one lie,
接着谎言像雪球一样越滚越大
and snowballed into this really
直到现在这个疯狂的局面
crazy situation.
你们对FDA的批准怎么看
So, what do you guys think about the FDA clearance?
大概在2015年7月4日前后
It was around the 4th of July of 2015.
公♥司♥里洋溢着欢乐的气氛
It was euphoria at the company.
你懂的
It was, you know...
对Elizabeth和Sunny来这是一个很有意义的里程碑
This is a very meaningful milestone for both Elizabeth and Sunny.
感觉像是个很大的胜利
It felt like a great victory at the time.
为一场小胜利他们搞了一个很大的庆典
It was a big celebration for a little victory.
FDA最后批准在爱迪生上进行
The FDA had finally approved one rarely used test for herpes
一项不太使用的疱疹化验
to be run on an Edison prototype.
这对Walgreens来说杯水车薪又来得太迟
That was too little too late for Walgreens,
他们暂停了新健康中心的开放
which put the brakes on opening new Wellness Centers.
当Theranos宣称2015年收益可以达到
And while Theranos had boasted revenues
十个亿美元以上时
of more than a billion dollars for 2015,
实际上的收益现金只有几十万美元
the actual cash in the door was only a few hundred thousand.
但是Elizabeth和Sunny并没退缩
But Elizabeth and Sunny were not backing down.
我们要给Quest诊断公♥司♥发出一个信息
We are going to send a message to Quest Diagnostics.
记得吗 就是那些追着我们不放的家伙
Remember, these are the guys who are after us,
他们还攻击你们做的工作
and they're attacking the work that you guys are doing.
- 准备好了吗 - 是的
- Are you ready? - Yeah!
好 1
Okay. One,
two, three.
操♥你♥妈♥
Fuck you!
我早上起床的时候看见了推送
I saw the alert when I got up in the morning,
就在床边读完了
and I read it by my bed.
文章题目不那么醒目
It had this really understated headline.
但是内容是毁灭性的
But the contents of the article were just devastating.
我到公♥司♥之后 又读了两遍
When I got to work, I read it a couple more times.
突然间 所有的商业秘密什么的都讲得通了
Suddenly, all of the trade secret stuff made sense.
哦 我明白了 根本没有商业秘密
Oh, I see. It's not a trade secret.
呃
Um...
是另一种秘密
It's a different kind of secret, and, um...
读这篇文章之前
I did not know that Siemens were being used
我根本不知道他们在用西门子的机器
until after the article hit.
这也解释了我们为什么要做静脉抽血
And then that kind of explains why we were doing venipuncture,
然后我就开始修改简历
I then started... revamping my résumé.
不好意思 但是我就是那么做的
I'm sorry, but I did!
华尔街日报最终发表了他们的文章
I was lucky when the Wall Street Journal
我感到很幸运
actually ended up publishing their article
因为文章一发表
because once that happened,
Theranos的精力就放到那上面去了
Theranos' efforts were focused elsewhere.
我们从没上过法庭
We never went to court. We never...
没有达成过任何协议 感觉这事无疾而终了
had any sort of settlement. It just kind of died.
公♥司♥的前途命悬一线
The fate and future of the company was at stake.
所以 我们在食堂里集♥合♥
So, we gathered in our cafeteria.
Elizabeth和Sunny解释了发生的事情
Elizabeth and Sunny spoke to what was happening,
说指控都是假的
and that these allegations are not true.
然后Elizabeth说我们要
And then, Elizabeth made a comment about
对华尔街日报开战
taking on the Wall Street Journal as a fight.
那天我一醒来看到那篇文章
I knew immediately
就马上知道 这将带来巨大反响
when I woke up that day that the article
因为读者和同事们的邮件
was having impact because e-mails from readers
潮水般涌进我的邮箱
and from colleagues were flowing in to my inbox.
我被邀请参加各种媒体采访
And I was also getting asked to do various media interviews.
John Carreyou带来的华尔街日报新报道
The New Wall Street Journal story by John Carreyou.
感谢加入我们 John
Thanks for joining us, John...
文章对硅谷来说是敲响了警钟
The article was a wake-up call for Silicon Valley.
这种淘金热已经进行了很久
This sort of gold rush had been going on.
这些独角兽们也正在被创造
These unicorns had been created.
公♥司♥们估值动辄十亿美元
Companies that have valuations of more than a billion dollars.
他们比那些九十年代的互联网创业公♥司♥
They were staying private much longer
保持更久的不上市状态
than start- ups had in the dot- com boom of the late '90s.
结果 比起那些每个季度都要向股东汇报的上市公♥司♥
And as a result, they were able to be less transparent
他们的经营
than companies that have to report
有着更多的不透明
to investors every quarter.
我想这对硅谷来说
And I think suddenly there was a realization in Silicon Valley
他们突然意识到 这导致诈骗滋生
that this has allowed fraud to thrive.
很明显 我打给Theranos
Obviously, when I called Theranos
想要跟Eliazabeth讲话的时候
and tried to speak to Elizabeth and was told
他们告诉我 她整天都没空
that she was going to be unavailable all day.
她正在被引荐给哈佛医学院的董事会
She was being inducted into the Harvard Medical School Board of Fellows.
我都惊呆了
And, um... I was just stunned.
我脑子里想着
I was thinking in my mind, you know,
华尔街日报刚刚报道了
the Wall Street Journal has just said...
你是个骗子 你的公♥司♥是个骗子公♥司♥
that you're a fraud, and that you're company is a fraud,
我放上杂♥志♥封面的公♥司♥是个骗子公♥司♥
and the company I put on the cover of a magazine is a fraud,
然后你花了
and you're going to spend...
一整天时间
the whole day...
躲在这个
hiding out at this, uh...
这个 呃
at this, uh...
狗屁荣誉性的引荐仪式
honorary horseshit, you know?
你得出来
You need to get out here,
好好读一读这篇文章
and go through this article,
一段一段地读
paragraph by paragraph,
解释一下他妈的到底你公♥司♥里正在发生什么
电影精选列表