The judge allowed her to have a phone
-这是法♥院♥的命令 -贝亚特 请你不要录我了
It's in the court order. -Beata. Please stop recording me
贝亚特是护士 不是律师
Beata was a nurse, not a lawyer
但她知道医院在做什么
But somehow, she knew what the hospital was doing
她记录下了一切
She documented everything
每一封邮件 每一次纸条 每一通电♥话♥
Every email, every writing, every phone call
这些记录都是我们可以起诉的理由
and all of that documentation is the reason we can sue
因为他们插♥进♥来告诉我们一个谎言
Because when they come in and tell us a falsehood
我们拥有真♥相♥
we have the truth
我听到那些电♥话♥ 作为一个母亲 我懂
When I heard those phone calls, as a mother, I got it
我能理解贝亚特的绝望
I got the frustration of Beata
就像压力锅一样
It was like a pressure cooker. You know?
我能感觉到压力在逐渐累积
I… I could feel that just kind of building up
作为律师 我们接受过训练 在案件中分离自己的情绪
As lawyers, we're trained to separate the emotion out of it
但你无法控制自己
but you can't help yourself
你会想 如果这是我的孩子 会怎么样
You think about "What if it was my child
她身上有病 会导致异常的疼痛
and she's got something that's causing extreme pain
然后你找到了说有希望的医生
and then you find doctors that say there's hope?"
那一瞬间 这些全都被夺走了
That was all just stripped away instantly
多数家庭会放弃
Most families give up
不是因为他们想放弃
Not because they want to
而是因为他们面对的 是大的法人团体和整个州
but because they're taking on a huge corporation and the state
所以多数父母没有能力 没有资金 没有毅力 也没有法律顾问
So most parents don't have the ability, the funds, the fortitude, or the counsel
去回击 所以他们只能认同 法♥院♥给出的监护计划
to fight back, so they enter into a case plan
我的律师建议 进入监护计划 是最安全、最快的方式
My attorney advised that it'd be safest and quickest to take the case plan
监护计划是父母选择遵从
A case plan is where a parent chooses to go along
州要求他们做的任何事
with whatever the state requires of them
可以说是一个清单 把孩子弄回来
A checklist, if you will, to get your child back
(愤怒管理评估)
(婚姻咨♥询♥)
进入监护计划会简单很多
It's just simpler to go through the case plan
就算你并没有做错
even if you're innocent
然而 如果你同意 签署了监护计划
However, if you go ahead and sign the case plan
就让医院没有了责任
you're releasing the hospital from liability
但考尔斯基一家没有接受监护计划
But the Kowalskis didn't take a case plan
贝亚特不会同意
Beata wasn't gonna do that
她知道自己是对的 她想奋战到底
She knew she was right, and she was gonna fight
我不知道他们在考虑很远的未来
I don't know that they were looking to the future
但我知道那样会让他们分开
but I do know that set them apart
如果她没有采取这么激进的策略
If she hadn't taken such an aggressive approach, we couldn't have sued
我们就无法起诉
所以我们要追究医院的责任
So we're going after the hospital
莎莉·史密斯医生和阳光海岸的责任
Dr. Sally Smith, and Suncoast
基于“精神损失犯罪”
based on what's known as "infliction of emotional distress,"
意味着他们知道自己在做什么
meaning that they knew what they were doing
把她推向某种伤害
pushing her towards some form of harm
所以他们应该付出惩罚行赔偿
So they should pay punitive damages
目的就是因为他们做错的事情 惩罚他们
which are designed to punish them for their wrongdoing
这个小女孩玛雅 代表着我们所有人的希望
This young girl, Maya, represents hope for all of us
扳倒莎莉·史密斯 扳倒整个体系
in bringing Sally Smith down, bringing the system down
他们想让自己的声音被听到
They want their voice heard, they want to be able to tell their story
他们希望能讲述自己的故事
他们希望医院 和莎莉·史密斯医生听他们的声音
and they want the hospital and Dr. Sally Smith to actually hear them
我想让别人知道 我没有说谎
I want people to see that I wasn't lying
其他经历相似状况的家庭
and that other families who are going through similar situations
也没有说谎
they're not lying either
我得了复杂性区域疼痛综合征
I have CRPS
我妈妈没有伪造我的病
My mom was not making me sick
我只是希望人们能相信我
I just wish people would believe me
考尔斯基小姐 你可以抬起右手吗?
Miss Kowalski, would you be so kind as to raise your right hand?
你是否严肃地发誓 即将给出的证词
Do you solemnly swear the testimony you are about to give
完全是真实的 没有半点虚假?
will be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
是
Yes
我们开始录制
We're on the record. The time is57 on August 28, 2020
时间是2020年8月28日9:57
这标志着凯尔·考尔斯基的证词开始
This marks the beginning of the deposition of Kyle Kowalski
我们正在录制 2021年10月15日9:01
We are on the record. October 15th, 2021, at01 a.m
我们决定起诉约翰·霍普金斯
It's been five years now
到现在已经是第五年了
since we decided to file a lawsuit against Johns Hopkins
我们晚上都睡不着 总是想这件事
We're not sleeping at night. We're thinking of it all the time
时间是2:41 我们要停止拍摄了
Time is41. We're going off the record
太残忍♥了
It's absolutely brutal
你们当时有没有寻求其他人的意见
Did you look for a second opinion
可以施行氯♥胺♥酮♥昏迷治疗的人?
for someone who could perform a ketamine coma procedure?
我不清楚
That, I'm unaware of
很不幸 清楚这件事的人已经死了
Unfortunately, the person that would know that answer is dead
你是说你已故的妻子 贝亚特·考尔斯基?
By that, you mean your late wife, Beata Kowalski?
没错
That is correct
你在第六段中表明你的誓言 原话是
You indicate in paragraph six of your affidavit that you, quote
“拒绝去看医生或者去医院”
"refuse to go to doctors or hospitals."
-看到了吗? -是
Do you see that? -Yeah
你为什么拒绝去看医生或者去医院?
Why is it that you refuse to go to doctors or hospitals?
我感觉已经不需要解释 很清楚了
I feel like it's pretty self-explanatory
我上一次去医院的时候
The last time I was in a hospital
被医疗绑♥架♥了三个月
I was medically abducted for three months
我没办法去看医生 我讨厌看医生
I just can't go to doctors. I hate going to doctors
我也讨厌去医院
I hate going to hospitals
好
Okay
你下次给我女儿拍摄证词的时候 是否可以换一个策略?
Next time you do a depo on my daughter, could you use a different tactic?
她觉得这种方式很难受 你们要注意一些
She takes it hard, and you gotta be careful
尤其是对一个小孩子
Especially with a young child. -Mm-hmm
我记得
I remember
听到护士们聊起我
hearing the nurses talk about me
“她是个骗子 不要相信她说的任何话”
"She's a liar. She's a liar. Don't believe anything she said."
“她并不痛” 他们会对我这样说
"She's not in pain." That's what they would say to me
他们也这样对别人说!
That's what they would say to people!
你们根本不知道 这对我造成了多大的伤害
You have no clue how traumatic that was for me
你居然有胆量问我为什么害怕医院?
You have the audacity to ask me why I'm afraid of hospitals?
你疯了吗?
Are you insane? Are you insane?
我妈妈死了 我永远都无法再见到她了!
My mom died, and I will never get to see her again!
永远都不可能了!
Ever!
我必须去学校 女孩子们会谈论
I have to go to school, and girls talk about
他们跟妈妈出去购物
how they went on shopping trips with their mom
在一起相处的小事情
How they get to, you know, have little things
你知道我坐在那里听那些 有多难受吗?
You know how hard it is for me to sit and, like, listen to that?
你是认真问我的吗?
Are you serious?
你让我产生了阴影!
You traumatized me!
-你要休息一下吗 玛雅?
You need to take a break, Maya?
要
Yeah
好 我们可以停止录像
Okay. We can go off the record
(考尔斯基家庭律师的律师事务所 2022年4月)
我们已经在进行庭审 准备的最后阶段了
We're in the final stages of preparations to get us to trial
所以大家都在熬夜加班
So people are staying up late
到处都是纸
There's paper flying everywhere
我们还在不断临时添加动议 有专家飞过来
We're getting last-minute motions filed. We're flying experts in
他们都跑来找汉纳医生 进行氯♥胺♥酮♥治疗?
They all come down to see Dr. Hanna and get ketamine treatments?
最近我们开始调查
And recently, we started digging into the codes
约翰·霍普金斯给保险公♥司♥ 计费账单的编码
that Johns Hopkins used for billing the insurance companies
我们发现他们给保险公♥司♥开账单 进行三个月复杂性区域疼痛的治疗
and we found out that they billed them for three months' treatment for CRPS
就是这个莎莉·史密斯
The exact same illness
告诉法♥院♥玛雅并没有得的病
Sally Smith was telling the courts she did not have
说是父母捏造的
and that the parents had made up
真的吗?- 是的
Really? -Yeah
我觉得另一方会很不好受
I think the other side's gonna have a hard time
我觉得这就是为什么 他们一直拼命抗拒
I think that's why they have been fighting tooth and nail
想要远离陪审团
to play keep away from the jury
我们刚发现医院雇了一个第二区域
And we just found out that the hospital hired a former judge
上诉法♥院♥的前任法官 是我们案件审理法♥院♥的上级
from the Second District Court of Appeals that sits above our trial court
这样约翰·霍普金斯就会拥有 非常大的法律代表力量
so Johns Hopkins will have incredibly powerful legal representation
我愿意 我想...
I do. I think…
4月4日 我们选择一个陪审团
April 4th, we pick a jury
然后我们就开始审理
and then we'll be in trial
(2022年4月1日 选择陪审团三天前)
嗨 玛雅
Hi, May
电影精选列表