What was going on in the '70s
就是像我们这样的黑人家庭
was that, as black families
如果搬迁到一个区域
like ours were moving into neighborhoods,
会吓跑那里的白人
white families were being scared away.
人们告诉他们"快卖♥♥了你们的房♥子
They were being told, "Sell your home quick.
你的房♥产就要贬值了"
Your property values are going to go down."
于是他们逃到了郊区
And so they fled further to the suburbs.
你可以从我幼儿园的照片
You can even see it in class pictures of my kindergarten class
以及初二的照片中发现
and my eighth-grade class.
这件事请对于像我一样的孩子产生了影响
I mean, it does something to kids like me,
我们必须要记住的是
and we have to remember that
我们在区分他人 谁属于这里 谁不属于这里
as we are pointing out people who belong and don't belong.
很不幸我的家庭
Because my family, sadly,
对于一些人来说就是不属于这里的那一类
was one of those families, to some, who didn't belong.
我最终进入了普林斯顿大学
I ended up going to Princeton.
我是屈指可数的几名少数种族学生之一
I was one of a handful of minority students.
那是我人生中第一次那么地突出
It was the first time in my life where I stood out like that.
我得知我的一个室友搬出去了
I learned that one of my roommates moved out
她的妈妈因为我是个黑人而感到害怕
because her mother was horrified that I was black.
她觉得她的女儿会有危险
She felt her daughter was in danger.
我还没准备好应对这种情况
I wasn't prepared for that.
事后我回想
In hindsight, I think I
我需要去普林斯顿大学看看
needed to go to Princeton to see for myself
这一切是因为我不够好吗
what all this was that I wasn't good enough for.
那之后你和这些人一起上课
And then you're in class with some of these guys,
你意识到了什么
and you realized what?
他们也没那么聪明
Well, they're not that smart.
这不是我们自己树立的形象
And it's not even just an image that we have.
这是别人赋予的形象
It's an image that we're given.
人们告诉我们
People have told us, "No,
"这些不适合你们"
these are the things that aren't for you."
所以作为年轻人 我们最有能力实现的事情
So one of the most empowering things as a young person
就是去一所顶尖的学校
was to go to one of the top schools
然后了解到世界上有各种平权活动
and realize that there are all kinds of affirmative action.
有校友子女政策...
You know, there's legacy...
是啊
Yes.
- 还有 - 没错
- There's... - Yes.
有大学♥运♥动员
There's the college athlete.
大学有权利 且乐于提倡多元化
And universities have a right and an interest in diversifying.
但是问题在于当
The problem is that when
面对有色人种的学生 贫困生
it comes to students of color, poor kids,
突然间 这就成了平权行动
all of a sudden, that's affirmative action,
这确实就是问题
and that's a problem.
- 当时是少有的 - 当时少有
- And they're lesser than, yes. - And they're lesser than.
世界上所有权威会议
And I have been at, probably,
我大概都参加过
every powerful table there is in the world.
我去过世界峰会 去过城♥堡♥和宫殿
I've been at G-summits, I've been in castles and palaces,
董事会会议室和大学学术会
in boardrooms and academic universities.
- 还... - 我可以闭麦了吗
- And... - Can I drop the microphone?
我从...
And I'm coming down from the...
是的
Yes.
你们知道的
You know,
我从巅峰走下来就是为了告诉每一个年轻人
I am coming down from the mountaintop to tell every young person
无论你是哪种肤色
that is poor and working-class,
作为贫穷的工人阶级
and has been told, regardless of the color of your skin,
如果你被人说你不属于某个地方
that you don't belong,
别听他们的
don't listen to them.
他们连自己怎么坐到那个位置的都不清楚
They don't even know how they got at those seats.
没错
Yes, yes, yes.
他们不知道
They don't know.
伊利诺伊州 芝加哥市
海...
D...
伊利诺伊州 芝加哥市
伊利诺伊州 芝加哥市
豚...
O...
海豚
L-p-h-I-n-s!
我们选中参加这次活动的
Some of these young women
一些女孩问了同一个问题
that we selected for this activity today
"为什么是我"
asked the question, "Why me?"
"你选择了我 为什么"
"You chose me. Why?"
- 为什么不呢 - 很有趣的问题
- Well, why not? - That's interesting, yeah.
所以你们有多少人想过这个问题 比如"为什么是我"
So, how many of you thought that? Like, "Why me?"
有些女孩 比如这个俱乐部的主席
There's girls who I feel, like, they are president of this club,
她们的入学考试 学术考试
their ACT, SAT is this, this...
伊丽莎白·塞万提斯 学生
伊丽莎白·塞万提斯 学生
不管什么都很棒 对吧
Whatever, right?
伊丽莎白·塞万提斯 学生
伊丽莎白·塞万提斯 学生
而我只是来上学
I just literally come to school,
伊丽莎白·塞万提斯 学生
而我只是来上学
I just literally come to school,
做我该做的事情
I do whatever I have to do,
我参加了一个俱乐部 就是拉丁裔俱乐部
and then I stay for one club, and that's Latinos Unidos,
然后又离开 又去参加工作
and then I leave, and then I go to work.
你为什么要去工作
And why do you work?
我的父亲 发生了意外
My dad... He had an accident.
他不能像以前一样工作
He doesn't work like he used to.
帮他分担一些 会让他心里好受些
Helping him out in some way would make him feel good.
而且我还有三个弟弟
And also because I have three little brothers,
我所做的一切也是为了他们
everything that I do is for them.
我去工作是为了能够养家糊口
I go to work and I bring them food.
就像 所有的事情...
Like, everything...
她还想知道为什么选她
And she wonders why she's here.
这些跌宕起伏的事情
That story,
被你描述的
with all the highs and lows,
好像很平凡
and what seems so ordinary,
对你来说什么都不算的东西
and what seems like nothing to you,
就是你的力量
is your power.
惠特尼·M·扬 芒特马格尼特区中学 教学楼
最后一天了
Last day.
克里斯
Chris.
这里
Over here.
你拿到校刊了吗
Do you have your yearbook?
我是芝加哥南部惠特尼·杨高中的学生
I am a senior at Whitney Young here in the South Side of Chicago.
我是个墨西哥女孩
And I am a Mexican girl.
这是我在高中的最后一周
This is my last week of high school.
我还记得第一年来的时候
I remember the first year, I was like,
"我想要转到其他的学校
"I want to transfer to a different school.
我做不好这些"
I can't do this work."
对自己感到失望
Just putting myself down.
- 太好了 - 抱歉
- That's nice. - Yeah. Sorry.
一直激励我的是
What kept me motivated was
在这里你可以
here you get to be friends with people
跟与你完全不同的人
that are completely different from you,
以及来自世界各地的人交朋友
from different parts of the world,
我很感谢这一切
and I'm very thankful for that.
姐妹 你总在哭
Girl, you always cry!
作为前几名高中毕业的人
Knowing that I'm one of the first ones to graduate high school
对于我的家人和我而言都意义重大
is just very important for my family and I.
伊丽莎白·塞万提斯
Elizabeth Cervantes.
我对未来充满期待
I'm very excited about what the future holds
也期待着大学生活
and going to college.
这对我来说是巨大的成就
It's a huge accomplishment for me.
当你出场的时候 你就说"你好呀 华盛顿特区"
When you come out, you'll say, "Hello, Washington D.C."
你还要自我介绍一下
However you would want to maybe identify yourself.
如"我和奥巴马夫妇共事"
"I worked with the Obamas.
多年来一直是他们的顾问
I've been an advisor for the Obamas for years.
我是瓦莱丽·贾雷特 今晚的主持人
I'm Valerie Jarrett, your host tonight."
说点开场白
Just to do a little establishing.
- 嗯行 我可以 - 好的
- OK, I can do that. - Cool.
然后她出来到这 你坐在这张椅子上
And then she comes up here. You are in this chair.
她坐在那张椅子上
She's in that chair.
你们可以拥抱 寒暄 坐下...
So you guys can hug, wave, sit...
交谈
converse.
电影精选列表