- 你结婚的时候激动吗 - 我想是的
- Were you excited about your wedding? - I think so.
至少你没怀孕 我是之后出生的
At least you weren't pregnant, because I didn't come until later.
这事我还蛮开心的
I might have been happy about it.
我好久没见过他了
I haven't seen it in a long time, but...
挺好的
that was good.
挺好的
That was good.
你们记得吗
Do you know, the last
上次我们一起看这些照片时
time we went through these pictures like this
爸爸还在世
had to be when Dad was alive.
是啊
Sure.
他就喜欢和人打交道
He just liked people.
看看爸爸多帅啊
Look how handsome Dad is.
我来自南芝加哥
I am from the South Side of Chicago.
这一点足以让你了解我
That tells you as much about me as you need to know.
我来自一个典型的工薪阶层
It was a typical working-class community.
音乐很好
Some good music,
和烧烤聚会
some good barbecue,
生活很美好
some good times.
我家餐桌是第一个
Our dinner table was the
让我有归属感的桌子
first table where I felt like I belonged.
然后你出去闯荡
And then you go out into the world
希望生活仍旧温馨
expecting the same thing.
你上了高中
You're in high school,
才华横溢
you are accomplished.
我没记错的话 你还是班里的生活委员
You were class treasurer? Do I remember that right?
是的 我可是高级生活委员
I was senior class treasurer, yes.
我还是那个少年
I was still that kid.
你上了光荣榜
You were on the honor roll,
然后你去找辅♥导♥员
and you went to go see your guidance counselor.
你哥哥去了普林斯顿大学
Your brother had gone to Princeton,
所以你想 我也要立志去普林斯顿大学
and you thought, "I'm going to aspire to go to Princeton, too."
但那个辅♥导♥员另有所想
But that guidance counselor had other ideas,
没像你看自己那样看你
didn't see in you what you saw in yourself.
是的 她觉得我立志去普林斯顿的愿望
Yeah, and she decided that my wish to go to Princeton
期望过高了
was thinking too big,
我没有能力去
that I was reaching too high.
当时她还告诉我
And at that point, she told me,
"我觉得你不是上普林斯顿的料"
"I don't think you're Princeton material."
- 勇气可嘉 - 是啊
- The nerve! - Yeah.
- 她想错了 - 是啊
- Well, she was wrong. - Yeah.
我最近返校了一趟
I went back to the school
校长说
just recently and the principal was like,
"她不在这工作了"
"She doesn't work here anymore."
我说"谅她也不敢"
I was like, "I bet she doesn't."
我分享这事是因为这事结局显然还可以
I share that because obviously it worked out OK.
虽然我已释怀
But that statement,
但那些话对我仍是打击
while I was able to get over it, it was a punch.
我还是被弄得
I'm still a little salty...
有点烦乱
...about that.
还是有点怀恨在心的
Still a little salty about it.
上大学你有什么顾虑
你的书深深吸引着我
Your book really stuck to me,
竟然会有那么多非裔美国女性
how there's just so much that African-American women go through
和非裔美国个体团结一心 共同进退
and African-American individuals go through, as a whole.
我们通常独自经历
And we go through those alone.
我们没有后盾 没有支持
We don't have backup. We don't have support.
像我这样的第一代大学生
With me being a first-generation student,
我一辈子都住在补贴住房♥里
I've lived in subsidized housing all my life.
我不敢相信我会坐在
I didn't believe that I would be sitting
前美国第♥一♥夫♥人♥旁边
next to the former First Lady of the United States.
我只想知道 您作为一位黑人女性
And I just wanted to know, how did you, as a black woman,
如何这样默默无闻地坚持
persevere through, just, invisibility?
于我来说 我从没觉得自己默默无闻
For me, I never felt invisible.
我回想一下我的人生
And I think, in thinking through
我不觉得自己微不足道
my story about why do I not now feel invisible,
是因为我父母从不会
I think it's because my parents
让我觉得自己渺小
made me always feel visible.
这不是外界带来的
It came from not what was going on in the world,
这是从家庭餐桌上的耳濡目染
but what was going on at my dinner table.
我母亲 鼓励我们发问
My mother, she let us ask anything.
但必须得讲礼貌
You had to be polite.
如果太莽撞 我们会被打屁♥股♥ 你懂吗
We got spankings if we were too... You know?
她毕竟是个黑人妈妈
She was still a black mother.
渺小感 来自于你的内心
But that invisibility, it starts here.
我们无法等这个世界平等了
We can't afford to wait for
才开始感觉受重视
the world to be equal to start feeling seen.
这和现实相差甚远
We're far from it.
时间不允许我们等
Time will not allow it.
一位黑人总统 一张选票都无法改变局面
It's not going to happen with one president, one vote.
所以得想办法让自己变得引人注目
So you've got to find the tools within yourself to feel visible,
变得一鸣惊人 掌握话语权
and to be heard, and to use your voice.
我对年轻一代有极高的期盼
I have high expectations of young people.
这和我家人对我的期盼是一样的
It's the same expectations my family had of me.
我祖父丹迪希望我们变得伟大
My grandfather Dandy expected us to be great.
但他一生都不被重视
But he went through life being underestimated.
他从小就是个聪明的年轻人
Growing up, he was a brilliant young man,
他爱读书
somebody that loved to read books,
喜欢把事情钻研得很深很有意义
loved to delve into things in a deep and meaningful way.
他本可以成为一名教授 一名博士
He could have been a professor. He could have been a doctor.
但因为种族和阶级
But because of race and class,
他没能进入大学
he couldn't get into colleges.
他没有钱 没有资源
He didn't have the money, the resources...
想象一下你揣着过人能力四处游走
And imagine walking around with all this ability,
这世界却一直对你说不
and the world telling you, "No.
"不 你不够优秀 不 你还不够格"B
No, you're not good enough. No, you're not ready."
看着那些没你一半聪慧的人
Watching people half your intelligence
被提拔 远超你
being promoted past you.
眼睁睁看着机会溜走
You know, watching opportunities slip away,
这一切并不是因为你不行
not because you're not able,
而是没人相信你应得那些荣誉
but because nobody thinks you deserve it.
这让他又失望又气愤
That caused him a lot of disappointment and anger.
所以他逼我们变得更好
That made him push us to be better.
明尼苏达州 圣保罗市
这真是个极其平常的周三
This is a super-normal Wednesday.
明尼苏达州 圣保罗市
这真是个极其平常的周三
This is a super-normal Wednesday.
太平常了
Very normal.
偶尔还会有那么一本创造桥梁的书出现
Every so often a book comes along that creates bridges.
是的
Yeah.
所以我们觉得
So we thought it was a
把两家读书会召集在一起
great idea to bring two book clubs together
讨论自己和那本书的独特经历
to talk about their unique experiences with the book,
以及一些寻常事 是个很好的主意
but also the common things.
- 你也来自芝加哥 - 我父母来自那里
- You come from Chicago, also. - My parents.
- 你在哪长大的 - 我妈妈来自格雷沙姆市
- Where did you grow up? - My mom's from Gresham.
那是贝拉克管辖的地区
That's where Barack organized.
阅读很美妙因为这是终身的
But it was fascinating to read because they were lifelong,
他们住那 在那长大
they lived there, they grew up there,
在那成家 沉浸于此
family there, steeped there.
他们也参与了白人迁徙
And they were definitely part of the white flight.
你知道他们在离开时
Do you have a sense of what they were fleeing
到底在逃避什么吗
when they decided to leave?
或者说他们自己明白吗
Or did they even know?
我不知道我父母是否明白
I don't know that my parents did.
但如果你看到我祖父母
If you look at my parents' parents,
你就会看到含蓄的种族主义
that's when you see the veiled racism.
你经常会听到一些信口开河的谈论
That's when you would hear the off-the-cuff remarks
就像"他们要搬来我们这边了"
like, "Well, they're moving into the neighborhood."
而有趣的是 结合我所知道的
And it was so interesting to
我从中读到了你的观点
read that from your perspective, versus what I knew.
没错
Yeah.
在七十年代所发生的
电影精选列表