but we could meet in secret.
所以我们做了个约定
So we had an arrangement.
我给她花♥园♥尽头
I gave her the key to the wee summer house
那间避暑小屋的钥匙
at the bottom of the garden.
等到她父母睡着后
She would wait until her ma and da had gone to bed
她就会溜出来
and then she'd sneak out.
她到避暑小屋去
She'd go to the summer house
按动电源开关
and she'd flick the switch on and off,
我从卧室的窗户就能看到
and I would watch from my bedroom window.
每当我看到小屋的灯亮起 我就去找她
Whenever I saw it, I'd go down to her.
二月的一天晚上 她没来
And then, one night in February, she didn't come.
我伤心极了
I was heartbroken.
第二天早上 我向窗外看去
Well, the next morning, I looked out of my window
她就站在树林旁边的车道上
and there she was in the drive beside the trees.
所以我套上鞋子就冲了出去
So I pulled on my shoes and rushed outside,
还穿着睡衣 迫不及待想见她
still in my pajamas, I was that desperate to see her.
但是我一走出前门
But as soon as I got out the front door,
她就从车道跑到公路上去了
she ran off up the drive and out into the road.
我追着她跑到村子附近
Well, I chased after her almost to the village.
但当她到了教堂
But when she got to the church,
她转而走进了墓地
she turned into the graveyard,
我见她跑向了其中一个墓碑
and I watched her rush across to one of the gravestones
躲在了碑后
and hide behind it.
可等我走近
But when I got there,
她已然不见了
she was gone.
消失了
Gone.
那块墓碑很小 就像是给小孩的
The gravestone was small, like it was for a child.
也很古老破旧
And it was old and grown over.
我随后看向碑文
And I looked at the writing.
"此处长眠着布丽姬特·麦金利
"Here lies Bridget McGinley.
生于1938年5月
Born May 1938.
卒于1945年3月"
Died March 1945."
早在我遇见她四年之前就去世了
Four years before I'd met her.
我的老天爷
Oh, god.
而在墓碑下的草地上
Sitting on the grass beneath the gravestone
就是我给她的避暑小屋钥匙
was the little key that I'd given her to the summer house.
天啊 休 你干嘛讲这样的故事
Christ, Hugh, why would you tell a tale like that?
我去问我母亲布丽姬特的事
I went to my mother and I asked about Bridget,
她告诉我
and she told me
麦金利一家刚来诺达拉的时候
that when the McGinleys first came to Knockdara,
他们确实有个女儿
they did have a daughter,
但她几个月后就去世了
but she died a few months after.
我突然就明白了
And then it dawned on me,
没有人和布丽姬特说过话
no one ever spoke to Bridget.
包括我母亲 她的父亲
Not my mother, not her father,
没有人
no one.
除了我
Only me.
很好的故事 爸
It's a good story, Dad.
是啊 迈克自觉聪明 不相信一句话
Aye, Michael's too clever to believe any of it.
我儿子能解释清楚所有事
An explanation for everything, my son has.
但我了解布丽姬特 她是我的朋友
But I knew Bridget. She was my friend.
你该问问你女人
You should ask your woman.
-谁 -你那个村里来的朋友
- Who? - Your one, your one from the village.
叫什么名字 她来过这里
What's her name? She was here.
-珂萝达 -珂萝达
- Cloda. - Cloda?
对 就是她
Aye, that's her.
-茜拉的朋友 -我不敢相信
- Sheila's friend? - I do not believe this.
-为什么 -你才来这个家五分钟
- What? - You're in this house five minutes
你就邀请那个女人过来 散播她的邪恶
and you have that woman here, spreading her wickedness?
我当时很害怕 我看见了一些东西
I was scared. I've seen things.
-还听见了怪声 -都是迷信
- I've heard things. - Superstitious nonsense.
我的天
Oh, my god.
你疯了吗
Are you mad?
-这是什么 -圣水
- What's this? - It's the holy water.
是用来做什么的
And what's it for?
别晃来晃去了 这是保佑我们家的
Stop waving that about. It's to bless the house.
所以这个就可以咯
So that's okay, is it?
你只信这个 而不肯信其他的
To believe that, but nothing else?
不 对于其他事情 你能保持完全理性
No, on everything else, you're entirely rational.
你和我说世上没有鬼 都是我臆想的
You tell me there are no ghosts, that it's in my head,
但你却相信在周围洒洒水
but you think sprinkling that water around
就能保佑自己不受恶魔侵袭
is gonna protect you from the devil?
-有道理 -这是不同的
- It's a good point. - That's different.
玛丽 你总得拿出更好的理由吧
Come on, Mary, you're gonna have to do better than that.
-你会站在她那边 -我不是站她这边
- Well, you would take her side. - I'm not taking her side.
总而言之 我认为你们都错了
In any case, I think you're all wrong.
根本没必要相信这些东西
There's not the slightest reason to believe any of this.
世界上本来就没鬼
There are no ghosts.
爸编了个关于他朋友的不错的故事
Dad made up a nice story about his wee friend,
而那个只是瓶自来水
and that's just tap water,
不管你付了多少钱请威廉神父祝佑
no matter how much you paid Father William to bless it.
注意你的用词 儿子
You watch your mouth, Son.
你不会被宽宥的
You'll not be forgiven.
爱尔兰海里的所有圣水都无法拯救你
Not for all the water in the Irish Sea.
-你在说什么 -我在说萝辛
- What are you talking about? - I'm talking about Roisin.
问问他 布丽姬特 让他告诉你
Ask him, Bridget, ask him to tell you.
-休 没事的 -爸 别这样
- Hugh, it's all right. - Dad, please.
萝辛是自杀的 迈克
Roisin did it to herself, Michael.
不 老爸
No, Dad.
她这么对她自己 都是因为你
She did it to herself because of you,
因为你们所有人在她背后干了那么多事情
because of all your aul carry on behind her back.
那姑娘爱你
That girl loved you.
事情不是这样的 休
That's not true, Hugh.
那是个意外
It was an accident.
希望上帝原谅你 儿子
God forgive you, Son.
愿上帝原谅你
May God forgive you!
老爸 你要消消火
Dad, this is serious now.
你会让自己再生病的
You're gonna make yourself ill again.
不要跟我说该怎么做
Don't you tell me what to do.
我是你父亲
I'm your father.
别这样
Come on.
别生气
Please.
你一口都没吃 亲爱的
You haven't touched your food, dear.
我给你倒了杯茶
I brought you some tea.
我不想喝
I don't want it.
-什么 -茶很恶心
- What? - It's disgusting.
这东西让我恶心 这到底是什么东西
I'm sick of the stuff. What even is it?
-对你有好处的 -那你喝吧
- It's good for you. - You drink it then.
-你叫珂萝达来了吗 -是的
- So you had Cloda here? - Yes.
你为什么这么做
And why would you do that?
我不知道 我以为那也许有帮助
I don't know, I thought it might help.
她是个骗子
She's a charlatan.
-还有其他人死在这吗 -什么
- Has anyone else died here? - What?
在这间屋子里 在火灾发生之前
In this house, before the fire, I mean.
当然有 这是一栋老房♥子
Of course. It's an old house.
我祖父母和曾祖父母以前都在这住过
My grandparents lived here. My great grandparents lived here.
她说到一个姑娘
She talked about a girl.
是布丽姬特吗
Was that Bridget?
别这样 奥菲莉娅 这样对你没好处
Come on, Ophelia, this isn't gonna help you.
那姑娘珂萝达 发生在她身上的事
That girl, Cloda, what happened to her,
发生在她儿子身上的事太可怕了
what happened to her son, it's awful.
从那时起 她就一直四处打听
And since then, she's been scrabbling around,
想要搞清楚 但那不是你该担心的事
trying to make sense of it, but it's not your concern.
你也不该怂恿她
And you shouldn't be encouraging her.
睡吧
Go to sleep now.
好喝
Delicious.
你来睡吗
Are you getting in?
来 我马上过来睡
Aye, I'll be up in a bit.
-迈克 -嗯
- Michael? - Yeah.
你♥爸♥说的事 是真的吗
That story your dad told, is it true?
你觉得呢