剧集 | 金属进化:重金属音乐发展史(2011) | 导航列表
so complex it was labeled math metal.
**音乐**
* Music *
山姆:我记得我第一次看到它们是在2000年,
Sam: I remember the first time I saw them back in 2000,
它们不仅在我听起来不像金属
not only did they not sound like metal to me
但它们甚至听起来都不像音乐。
but they barely even sounded like music.
是什么激发了他们创作这种疯狂声音的灵感呢?
What inspired them to create this insane sound?
**音乐**
* Music *
本·温曼:嗯,迪林格本身就是我们放弃了
Ben Weinman: Well Dillinger itself was us giving up
以做音乐家为生。
on being musicians for a living.
是我们放弃了关心人们的想法。
It was us giving up on caring what people thought.
我们真的不再试图吸引市场了
We really stopped trying to appeal to a market
和一定的粉丝基础。
and a certain fan base.
实际上是我们在说我们永远不会融入,
It was really us saying we're never going to fit in,
我们永远不会去找音乐家谋生,所以
we're never going to musicians for a living so
这真的只是一种情况,有人在做
it's really just one situation where someone is doing
他们喜欢的东西,而且碰巧成功了,因为
something they love and it happens to work out because
他们很喜欢,这是一个很好的例子。
they love it it's a perfect example of that.
杰夫·瓦格纳:他们玩的攻击性水平
Jeff Wagner: The level of aggression they play with
使它们立即吸引金属爱好者。
makes them instantly appeal to metal fans.
他们有点像麦舒加在做的事情
They kind of take what Meshuggah is doing
但作为一支进步的乐队,他们走得更远。
but they went farther as a progressive band.
他们创造了一种完全具有攻击性的精神错乱的艺术。
They create an art out of utter aggressive insanity.
**音乐**
* Music *
马特·雅各布森:我们第一次看他们比赛的时候,我们开车
Matt Jacobson: The first time we saw them play we drove
宾夕法尼亚州雷丁市和迪林格逃生计划
to Redding, Pennsylvania and Dillinger Escape plan
在地下室的车♥库♥里表演。
performed in kind of a basement kind of a garage.
他们只是在失去理智你知道他们是
They were just losing they're minds you know they were they
他们四处走动,在空中摇摆着吉他。
were moving around and swinging the guitar in the air.
歌♥唱家会跳到观众席中尖叫。
The singer would jump into the audience and scream
在你的脸上,这完全是极端的,充满了能量
in your face, it was totally extreme and charged with energy
所以我们走出那里,我的一位同事说
so we walked out of there and one of my co-workers said
“你觉得怎么样?”我说,‘我们必须签下那支乐队。’
'what'd you think?' and I said 'we have to sign that band.'
我是说那是..。呵呵。
I mean that was... pfft.
我记得我第一次见到迪林格
I remember the first time I had ever seen Dillinger
现场直播,看起来他们真的很努力
live and it looked like they were really trying
故意用吉他伤害人群,你知道的
to deliberately hurt the crowd with the guitar you know
把吉他的头和脖子砸向人们
smashing the heads and necks of the guitars into the people
坐在前排,有点像是戳进去了
in the front row and kind of poking it in there
我以前从未见过这样的事情。
and I had never seen anything like that before.
我认为迪林格可能是世界上最危险的乐队之一。
I think Dillinger is probably one of the worlds most dangerous bands.
**音乐**
* Music *
我们不仅给自己制♥造♥了麻烦
Not only did we make things hard for ourselves
不管你怎么说,身体上的,技术上的,但是我们
physically, technically however you wanna put it but we were
让事情变得充满挑战、困难和不舒服
making things challenging and difficult and uncomfortable
对于那些正在经历它的人来说也是如此。
for the people who are experiencing it as well.
我们想把人们带出舒适区,我们想
We wanted to take people out of there comfort zone, we wanted to
把我们自己带出我们的舒适区
take ourselves out of our comfort zone
因为伟大的艺术从来都不会来自舒适
'cause no great art ever comes from comfort.
**音乐**
* Music *
**音乐**
* Music *
>>到了2000年初,进步的金属已经
>> By the early 2000's progressive metal had
变得如此极端和复杂,以至于它与先驱们的联♥系♥就像
become so extreme and complex that it's links to pioneers like
“创世纪与拉什”似乎迷失了方向,但这一切都改变了。
Genesis and Rush seems to be lost, but this all changed with
亚特兰大的Mastodon的到来,他重新连接了金属
the arrival of Atlanta's Mastodon who reconnected metal
伴随着早期进步摇滚的声音。
with the sounds of early prog rock.
**音乐**
* Music *
山姆:那么你们是99年成立的,
Sam: So you guys formed in '99,
金属和重金属音乐的气候是怎样的?
what was the climate like for metal and heavy music
你们什么时候开始的?
when you guys when you guys started out?
布兰恩:就金属而言,我认为它仍然是
Brann: As far as metal was concerned I think it was still
有点不好听,你知道我的意思。
sort of a bad word you know what I mean.
就像垃圾音乐一样还有点流行,但它已经很流行了
Like grunge was still sorta popular but it had been
完全被冲淡了,它也在遭受同样的痛苦
completely watered down it was suffering from the same thing
毛发金属在80年代末受到影响,但有一种
hair metal was suffering from in the late '80s but there was a
有很多像磨心,有很多真的很疯狂
lot of like grindcore and there was a lot of like really crazy
死亡金属乐队出局了,我们真的很晚才来
death metal bands that were out, we really come from that late
80年代90年代初的技术金属你知道,我们知道
'80s early '90s technical metal you know, we knew
我们想要做得更多一点,真正的进步。
we wanted to do a little more, really progressive.
比尔:我用乳齿象真正想达到的目的
Bill: What I really wanted to achieve with Mastodon
我想我只是想播放一些
I guess was just to play music that was
以正确的方式挑战,我完全控制住了。
challenging in the right way and I was completely in control of.
我希望我们所有人都是一个集体,确保每个音符
I wanted all of us to be a collective, make sure every note
每一个即兴小品都很合身,听起来都很棒
and every riff fit and sounded good together and
有点像是在这里和那里抛出一个曲线球
kind of throw a curveball in here and there
只是为了在里面放一首颂歌♥给PROG ROCK。
just to put like an ode to prog rock in there.
**音乐**
* Music *
萨姆:乳齿象给进步金属带来了什么,最近怎么样?
Sam: What does Mastodon bring to progressive metal, how are
它们与以前的一切都不同吗?
they different from everything that has come before?
迈克·波特诺伊:乳齿象就像黑色安息日
Mike Portnoy: Mastodon are like the Black Sabbath
现代进步音乐的典范。带着一种扭曲的
of modern progressive music. With a twist of
克里姆森国王也被扔进了那里。
King Crimson thrown in there too.
这一切都是关于他们的即兴表演,一个接一个的即兴表演
It's all about the riffs with them, riff after riff after
即兴演奏,嘎吱作响,非常沉重,但同时
riff, crunching and so heavy but at the same time
我是说,有一种令人难以置信的音乐才能
there's this unbelievable musicianship I mean
布兰恩在打鼓他就像是金属的比尔·布鲁福德
Brann's drumming he's like the Bill Bruford of metal,
他用手做的事太不可思议了。
what he does with his hands are so incredible.
**音乐**
* Music *
你控制着与梦幻剧场的平行关系
You control the parallel with the Dream Theatre thing
因为梦幻剧场引入了金属剧场,你知道的,
because Dream Theatre brought in the Metallica side you know,
敲打金属的东西,但它们一直是乳齿象
the thrash metal thing but Mastodon they were always
就像污泥金属一样将其带入混合物中,
received as like sludge metal bring that into the mix,
再一次(嘟嘟一声)规则手册我们不在乎
and again (beep) the rule book we don't care
如果人们认为Yes和King Crimson不时髦
if people think Yes and King Crimson are not hip,
我们爱他们,我们要把这一点融入到我们的音乐中
we love them we're going to throw that into our music and
你会听到的,后果不堪设想。
you're gonna hear it and be damned with the consequences.
**音乐**
* Music *
>>与2004年的许多金属同龄人决裂,
>> Breaking from many of their metal contemporaries in 2004,
乳齿象创作了第一张前卫摇滚金属概念专辑
Mastodon created the first prog rock metal concept album of
新千年;利维坦,它的灵感来自
the new millennia; Leviathan which was inspired by the
美国经典冒险故事“白鲸”。
American classic adventure story Moby Dick.
布兰恩:我有一次很长的飞行,我遇到了那些家伙。
Brann: I had like this really long flight, and I met the guys
在伦敦,我们开始了一场巡演,我想我们必须
in London and we were starting a tour and I was like we gotta do
关于“白鲸”的唱片,所以我喜欢这部大♥片♥
the record about Moby Dick, so I had like this big shpeal and
刚刚谈到了大鲸鱼之类的事情
just talked about the big whale and all this stuff
每个人都很兴奋,所以我就想
and everybody was excited about it so I was like
好的,听起来不错,我们去录下来吧。
ok cool sounds good let's go record it.
比尔:整个故事中的“白鲸”这本书太多了
Bill: The book Moby Dick in the whole story was so much
我们当时内心的感受,因为我们有
how we felt inside at the moment because we had
这辆白色面包车我们会离开我们所有的家人
this white van that we would leave all our families and
说这么久,我们要飞向未知的地方
say so long we're going to take off into the unknown
就像船上的人一样。我们真的只是亲自
just like the guys on the boat. We really just personally
在那张唱片出来之前,我想和它有关。
related to it I think until that record came out.
很多人可能只是把我们当作另一个人
A lot of people might have just thought of us as another
重金属乐队,就像‘哦,这些家伙有点
heavy metal band and it's like 'ooh, these guys are a little
如果他们在看书,那就是知识分子
intellectual if they're reading books'
所以我想人们只是再看了我们一眼。
so I think people just gave us a second glance.
马特:利维坦做了一张概念专辑,产生了巨大的影响
Matt: Leviathan made a huge impact to make a concept album
关于“白鲸”封面上有一条鲸鱼,它把东西
about Moby Dick with a whale on the cover, it was taking things
到了下一步,人们都吓坏了,我是说
to the next step and people pretty much freaked out I mean
突然间,他们到处都得到了热烈的好评。
they were suddenly getting glowing reviews everywhere.
他们登上了杂♥志♥的封面,比如Spin和
They were getting the cover of magazines, the likes of Spin and
“滚石”之类的人开始付钱
Rolling Stone and people like that were starting to pay
注意了,所以我们对它的表现并不感到惊讶,但是
attention so we weren't surprised that it did well but
它引起的共鸣确实比我们预期的要大,
it did resonate on a larger scale than we anticipated,
当然,这真是太棒了。
which was fantastic of course.
**音乐**
* Music *
>>乳齿象已经成长为世界上
>> Mastodon has grown to become one of the most
2000年代成功的金属乐队,但乳齿象
successful metal bands of the 2000's, but Mastodon
并不是唯一一家将金属推向未来的公♥司♥,
isn't alone in carrying prog metal into the future,
这一流派的一些创始人仍然很强大。
some of the founders of the genre are still going strong.
**音乐**
剧集 | 金属进化:重金属音乐发展史(2011) | 导航列表