"特雷弗·布鲁金": 英格兰足球运动员 "伊恩·博瑟姆": 被认为是英国板球历史上最伟大的全能选手
托马斯·哈代的小说 《还乡》
两个等级的考试 A相当于国内高中 O相当于国内初中
波士顿犹太人屠♥杀♥纪念碑前的忏悔诗
"亲爱的维克 谢谢你的鱼派食谱
'Dear Vic, thanks for the fish pie recipe.
至于我近况嘛
'The news from here is
倒是跟纳尼有了些进展
that there have been developments with Nunney,
我发现要跟一个住的很近的人睡
'and it turns out that it's not a good idea to sleep with someone
可不是什么好主意 事实上 特别尴尬
'who lives three doors away. It's really bloody awkward, in fact.
我老是碰上他
'I bump into him all the time,
可他都不怎么看我
'and he hardly makes eye contact.
令人难过的是乔最近又病了
'The sad news is that Joe has been really poorly again
所以很不幸 我现在有大把的时间
'so, unfortunately, I've had plenty of time
读纳尼借我的那些三流小说"
'to read the wretched books Nunney lent me.'
"看来今天会有一场激烈的板球大战
'So, there's a tense day's cricket ahead of us here.
没错 如果他们发挥出伦敦场那一战的水平 那么..."
'Yes, if they can repeat any of that form from the Oval, then...'
现在听好了 如果你突然听到什么事
Right, now, remember, if anything happens
表现得兴奋过头 我就会关掉收音机
and you get too excited, we'll have to turn it off.
那么我只能听无聊的部分咯
So I can only listen as long as it's boring?
差不多吧
That's about the size of it.
"好球 漂亮的回击啊
'Yes, what a phenomenal stroke!
接下来的比赛他们只要保持分数
'But now, you know, they just need to stay there
待在场上就可以了
'for the rest of the day.
高尔快拿下百分点了 他们还有希望"
'Gower getting close to his century, so there's still hope.'
看来短时间内你也不会有什么大动作了
Sounds like you'll be all right for a while.
"他用球板将球击出 还在为平局而战
'He lifts his bat, still fighting for a draw.
琼斯冲向得分点
'Jones runs in.
天哪 他击中了
'Oh, my goodness me, he's bowled it!
然而并没有 是吧
'It was never going to happen, really, was it?
那么 泰勒很遗憾地错过了一记好球..."
'So, Taylor undone by a brilliant piece of cricket...'
-兴奋吗 -并不
- That exciting? - No.
"不得不说 这已经是最后的反击了
'And that's the last of the resistance, you would have to say.
也就这样了 干得漂亮 新西兰"
'That's the way it goes. Well played, New Zealand.'
特雷弗·布鲁金还有伊恩·博瑟姆
Oh, Trevor Brooking! And Ian Botham!
抱歉 乔
Sorry, Joe.
那现在我还能干什么
Now what am I supposed to do?
读书吧
Let's read.
艾尼德.布莱顿[英国安徒生]吗?
Enoch Blyton?
嗯...
Yeah...
对
Yeah!
我们读...迪戈里·维恩的冒险故事
It's a, um... It's a Diggory Venn adventure.
迪戈里·维恩 我没听说过
Diggory Venn? I don't know him.
典型的艾尼德风格名字
Classic Enoch name, though.
好吧 迪戈里·维恩是个红土贩子
Yes. Diggory Venn is a reddleman.
-什么 -我说 迪戈里·维恩是个红土商
- What? - I said, Diggory Venn is a reddleman.
我知道你说了啥
That's what I thought you said.
-什么红土贩子 -红土贩子就是把羊刷成...红色的家伙
- A reddleman? - A reddleman is a chap who paints sheep... red.
-为了好玩么 -不是 是他们的工作
- For fun? - No, it's his job.
好棒 以后我要干这个
Brilliant! That's my future sorted out, then.
决定了
Finally.
"不行 这是过去才有的职业"
'No, this is olden times, though.'
哦 该死 所以布莱登的这本书讲的是以前的事
Oh, hell! Are we going to read an olden-times Blyton?
对 好了
Yeah. OK.
迪戈里·维恩 这个红土贩子 他喜欢上了托马茜
So, Diggory Venn, the reddleman, he's in love with Thomasin.
迪戈里和托马茜吗
Diggory and Thomasin?
-是的 -这真的是布莱登的书吗
- Yes. - This isn't actually Blyton, is it?
不是
No.
这本是纳尼借给我的
It's a book Nunney lent me.
-这是垃圾小说 -我知道
- It's rubbish. - Yes, I know.
全都是些愚蠢的反转和很扯的巧合
It's full of stupid plot twists and ridiculous coincidences,
我讨厌死了 我能怎么办呢
and I hate it! What am I going to do?
你为什么一定要读纳尼给你的书呢
Why do you have to read the books that Nunney gives you?
-我想让他觉得我很聪明 -我明白了
- I want him to think I'm clever. - Oh, I get it!
你想要读给我听 这样我能给你解释
You want to read it to me so I can explain it to you.
我英文很好的
I'm very good at English.
你笑什么
I don't know why you're laughing.
我可帮了你不少
I'm offering you a good deal.
好吧 那么 现在 除了...除了...迪戈里和朵荪
Right, so, there's... there's... there's Diggory and Thomasin,
我们还有克林和游苔莎
and then there's Clym and Eustacia.
噢 我去 你介意我下次再给你解释这个吗
Oh, hell. Look, do you mind if I explain it all another time?
没事
No.
我理解
I understand.
-要听巴尼奇幻冒险吗 -要
- A Barney mystery? - Yes, please.
你知道吗
And do you know what?
即使特雷弗·布鲁金借给我 我也不会读
I wouldn't read that Diggory Venn, the reddleman, even if
红土贩子迪戈里·维恩的故事
Trevor Brooking lent to me.
-那可能吗 -他很聪明的
- Is that likely? - He's very clever.
他通过了11个O等课程和两个A等课程
He got 11 O levels and two A levels.
比我学得还多
That's more than I've got.
-准备好了吗 -嗯
- Are you ready? - Mm-hm.
"一辆小车在蜿蜒陡峭的山路上
"Four children were singing at the tops of their voices
车子里面坐了四个嘶声歌♥唱的孩子..."
"In a car that was going up a steep mountainside road..."
-该我了吗 -他睡着了
- My turn? - He's having a nap.
我很担心他
I'm quite worried about him.
嗯
Yeah.
这是什么意思
What does that mean?
嗯 我看出来你很担心了
Yes, I see you're worried.
可你一点都不担心
But you're not?
我觉得"担心"这个词不是很准确
I'm not sure "Worried" Is the right word.
情况是这样的
This is his condition.
他的身体随时都可能出问题 他的眼病是难以预料
He has frequent health crises, the inevitability of eye damage,
他越大视力问题会越严重
sight problems when he's older.
我觉得糟糕吗 很糟糕
Do I think it's awful? Yes, I think it's awful.
我感到无助和不幸吗
Do I feel helpless and wretched?
我很无助 很不幸
Yes, I feel helpless and wretched.
我担心 我是担心
Do I worry? Uh, I suppose worry is in there somewhere.
可在这些杂七杂八的情绪里面
But it gets lost amidst all the other stuff and, anyway,
它太渺小 微不足道了
it's the least powerful and least useful of my feelings.
不过我很高兴你在为我们担心
But I'm glad you're worrying for both of us.
谢谢你 我很感动
Thank you, that's very helpful.
哦 我去
Oh, fuck!
该死的猫
Fuck that fucking thing!
我们为什么还养只猫
Why do we even have a cat?
这房♥子里就没人因
Who in this house gets a
这只死猫开心过
single fucking second of pleasure from it?
-谢谢 -再见 -再见
- Thanks. - Bye. - Bye.
"收养成年猫咪 需已绝育
"Adult cat wanted. Neutered."
你跟她交谈时
So, was she interested
-她有兴趣吗 -不一定是个女的啊
- when you spoke to her? - Do we know it's a her?
总之 我还没有采取什么行动
Anyway, I haven't done anything about it yet.
我觉得应该跟孩子们谈谈
I thought we should talk to the boys.
你疯了吗 不快点就要被别人抢先了
Are you mad? Someone is going to beat us to it.
没人想养猫 现在就给她打电♥话♥
No-one wants their cat. Phone her this second.
-电♥话♥占线 -都告诉你会被人抢先了
- Engaged. - Told you, someone's beat us to it.
妈的 继续打
Oh, bloody hell. Keep trying.
零...
Zero...
盒子里是什么
What's in there?
卢卡斯
Erm, Lucas.
-死的吗 -没死
- Dead? - No, no.
他要去别处生活了
He's going to live somewhere else.
天堂吗 这说法也太幼稚了
You mean heaven? How old do you think I am?
他真的是要去别处生活了
Honestly, he really is going to live somewhere else.
-他没死 -他要被送走了吗
- He's not dead. - He's being transferred?
可怜的老卢卡斯
Poor old Lucas.
他会在那个地方生活的很好
He'll have a nice time where he's going.
是有人出大价钱
Did someone put in a big offer,
还是因为他没救了
or are we just getting
才要把他送走
him off the wage bill because he's hopeless?
应该是后者
Um, I suppose it's the latter.
他没救了
He's hopeless.
卢卡斯膨胀 大胖矮子
Lucas Bunt, the big fat runt.
这么说可不好
That's not very nice.