那能让我看看吗
Oh, well, may I see it?
不 不能
No, you may not!
你干嘛不踏实回♥教♥堂 为恶行者祈祷
Why don't you go back to church and pray for the wicked?
你这是在湿手沾面粉 钱伯斯先生
It's murky waters you're sticking your toe into, Mr Chambers.
如果我是你 就会把自己撇干净
I'd steer well clear if I were you.
斯汤顿太太
Mrs Staunton.
你在玩什么 原地打转吗
What game were you playing? Going round in circles?
我只是...想来看看你怎么样
I just...I came to see how you were getting along.
这是我先生送的 战后我们在柏林相遇
My husband gave that to me. We met in Berlin after the war.
(卡里克弗格斯: 爱尔兰安特里姆以东一个风景优美的小镇
坐落在贝尔法斯特湖畔 建成于12世纪)
他说会带我去卡里克弗格斯
He said he'd take me to Carrickfergus.
我们能住在海边 散步在内伊湖岸边
That we'd live by the sea and walk by the shores of Lough Neagh.
他承诺过很多
He said a lot of things.
我总是很相信他
And I used to believe all of them.
你觉得你丈夫有抑郁症吗
Do you believe your husband was depressed?
(阿尔斯特: 指爱尔兰岛北部
一部分属爱尔兰 一部分属英国的北爱尔兰)
他是从阿尔斯特来的
He was from Ulster.
对于阿尔斯特人我倒是略有所知
I've known a few Ulstermen.
但他们并不都会抑郁
Not all of them are depressed.
是的 可有时候酒精还有...
Yes, but sometimes the alcohol and...
那倒是
Of course.
他只喝尊美醇的酒
Jameson's. That's all he drank.
最后 就如饮水一般
In the end, like water.
我想你想问的是 他的自杀
I think what you're asking is, did it come as a shock,
有没有惊到我?
him taking his life?
起初算是
At first.
但如果在战争中 丧失过大多亲人
But when you've lost most of your family in war,
即便一时震惊 也不会太久
then things don't shock for long.
你参过战吗 钱伯斯先生
Did you fight, Mr Chambers?
是的
I did.
那我想你应该能够明白
Then I think you understand.
斯汤顿太太 会众讲演的大门总是向您敞开
You're always welcome in my congregation, Mrs Staunton.
恐怕我打算回柏林了
I'm afraid I'm returning to Berlin.
没有钱 所以...
There's no money, so...
你的丈夫没有留下遗嘱吗
Your husband left no will?
据我所知并没有
Not that I know of.
也许留在他办公室了
Perhaps it's at his office.
我可以帮你问问
I-I could enquire on your behalf.
别人袖手的时候 你帮忙张罗了葬礼
You took his funeral when no-one else would.
已经够了
You've done enough.
我想你很忙吧 莫里森小姐
You've been busy, I imagine, Miss Morrison?
现在的工作量是过去的一半
My job is half what it was.
要再诚实一点 其实一半都不到
Less than half, if I'm honest.
斯汤顿先生那里要料理的事情不少吧
Mr Staunton needed looking after?
他并不是很有条理的人
He was not the most methodical of people.
总不喜欢用标签
He was a horror to keep tabs on.
这对工作真是要命
A horror to work for.
但我很想他
I miss him terribly.
还记得他过世那天 见过哪些人吗
So you wouldn't know whom he met on the day he died?
说来听听
For example.
有几个会面
He had a few meetings.
没什么特别之处
Nothing out of the ordinary.
是有过场争执
There was an argument.
每天下班前总会有
There were arguments most days near the end.
再说一遍 贱♥人♥
Say that again, you son of a bitch!
回家去 莫里森小姐 请先回去吧
Go home, Miss Morrison. Please go home.
第二天早上 我过来的时候...
The next morning when I came in...
他就死在那里了
There he was.
约一下美联公♥司♥ 这特么乱透了
Make an appointment with the Midland. It's a bloody mess.
钱伯斯先生来询问斯汤顿先生遗嘱的事情
Mr Chambers is just enquiring after Mr Staunton's will.
以他遗孀的名义
On behalf of his wife.
他没立过遗嘱
He didn't have a will.
很奇怪 不是吗
That's odd, isn't it?
我们这些律师有点像医生
We lawyers are a bit like doctors.
总会疏忽自己的生命 自以为会不朽
Neglect our own lives because we think we're immortal.
雪利?
Sherry?
还是威士忌吧
whiskey, perhaps?
我还以为你更喜欢雪利
I had you down as a sherry man.
大多数人都这么觉得
Most people do.
那是斯汤顿先生的
That's Mr Staunton's.
反正他也喝不上了 不是吗
Hardly be needing it now, will he?
史蒂芬总是喝太多
Stephen drank far too much.
当然 我们都是如此
Most of us did, of course.
回到家...
Came home...
就拎酒瓶子
reached for the bottle.
我们都曾生活在战后的阴影之中
We were all living under the shadow of it.
谢谢 老实说 现在亦然
Thank you. Still are, if we're honest.
我猜你是随军牧师吧
You were a Padre, I imagine.
我也上过战场 莫顿先生
I fought, Mr Morton.
隶属苏格兰卫队
With the Scots Guards.
很不错
Good for you.
我知道他从事务所挪用资金
So I understand he was siphoning money from the firm.
但和一个牧师有什么关系
What could that possibly have to do with the clergy?
斯汤顿太太现在很窘迫
Mrs Staunton is penniless.
她会没事的
She'll be all right.
遗孀总是能分到遗产 无论是否有遗嘱
The wife gets the money, will or no will.
这么说...确实没有遗嘱?
So...there's no will?
恐怕您白跑了这一趟
Wasted journey, I'm afraid.
哦 真是要老命了
Oh, Christ on a bike.
威士忌不对
It wasn't the right whiskey.
斯汤顿办公桌上酒瓶里的威士忌不对
The whiskey in the decanter on Staunton's desk.
他太太特别说过 他只喝尊美醇的酒
His wife specifically told me he only drank Jameson's.
如果你知道的话 那酒有一种独特的坚果香味
Which, as you probably know, has a distinctive nutty flavour.
而现在玻璃瓶里的是另一种廉价货
The whiskey in the decanter was of a cheaper variety.
于是呢...
Which leads you to conclude...?
那是刻意摆放在桌上
That it was placed on his desk
造成他自杀不过是酒后之勇的错觉
to give the illusion of Dutch courage.
然后呢...
Which leads you to conclude...?
也就意味着有第三人插手他的死
That there was a third party there at his death.
所以呢...
Which leads you to conclude...?
所以他是被谋杀的啊 督察
That he was murdered, Inspector!
就因为威士忌不对吗
Because it wasn't the right whiskey?!
就因为威士忌不对啊
Because it wasn't the right whiskey.
你让我别搅这趟浑水
You told me to steer clear of murky waters.
但有时候麻烦会找上门
Well, sometimes they come to me.
昨晚的比赛 英格兰输给了匈牙利
England lost to Hungary last night.
3比6
6-3.
输给个名不见经传的小队伍
Beaten by a team no-one has ever heard of.
在我们发明的比赛里
At a game that we invented.
我已经很暴躁了 钱伯斯先生
So I was already in a bad mood, Mr Chambers.
自便
Go on.
"无法表达事情到这一步 我是有多抱歉
"I can't tell you how sorry I am that it has come to this.
我知道这会让你很难过
I know you will find this upsetting
但真心希望 能做点什么拨乱反正
and I wish there was something I could do to make things right.
我不能再继续下去了
I can't go on any more.
抱歉 真的对不起
I'm sorry, so sorry.
你也知道这一路有多难 要坚持有多不易
You know how hard it has been and how impossible it is to continue.
原谅我 S."
Forgive me. S."
这是他亲笔写的吗
It's his handwriting?
全都鉴定过
All authenticated.
谁鉴定的
By whom?
我 钱伯斯先生
By me, Mr Chambers.
这就是自杀
It's suicide.
验尸官认可了 我老大也点头了
The coroner says so. My boss says so.
即便是这苦逼货自己都写下来了
Even the poor bugger himself.
是不是尊美醇 都没有差异
Jameson's or no Jameson's.
所以是结案了吗
Case closed?
是的 结案了
Case closed.
我可以逮捕你
I could have you arrested.
是吗 什么罪名
Really? What for?