你得相信这点
You have to trust that.
多少
How many?
我对于警方 对于神学
I have relatively uninformed opinions
几乎是一无所知
about the police force, about theology.
我让你们去决定吧
I leave that to you.
我不了解你们的世界
I don't know about your worlds.
我也不指望你们了解我的
I don't expect you to know about mine.
但是当有人死了 我们的世界就会相撞
But when people die, our worlds collide.
当他们是被杀...
And when they're killed...
西德尼 你陪过临死的人
Sidney, you've sat with the dying.
很多次
Many times.
你也是 督察
And you, Inspector.
有时候人们准备好了
Sometimes people are ready.
有时候他们坚持活下去 结果却受罪
Sometimes they hold on and suffer terribly.
我知道病痛会让一个人虚弱到什么程度
I have seen how debilitating an illness can be.
那你就该理解
Then you understand.
不 我不理解
No, I don't.
你是个有同情心的人 你怎么能不理解
You're a compassionate man. How could you not?
你见过菲尔丁先生 他在受苦 他愿意死
You've seen Mr Fielding. He is suffering, he wants to die.
我敢肯定很多人都寻求过你的帮助
I'm sure there were many who cried out for you to do something.
你一定是感觉你在解除他们的痛苦
You must have felt that you were relieving their pain,
他们终于可以安息
that they were at peace.
他们和上帝在一起 但这不是正当理由
They were with God. But that can never justify.
上帝
God.
我从未在某个经受剧烈痛苦的病人身上看到过上帝
I have never seen God at the bedside of someone in agonising pain.
这是件很神奇的事
It's an extraordinary thing.
在那些人的弥留之际
In those final moments,
我觉得信仰根本就毫无用处
I don't think faith makes a blind bit of difference.
我的做法是对的
I do what is right.
所以你觉得杀害利文斯通太太是对的?
So was it right when you killed Mrs Livingstone?
杀害谢帕德女士是对的?
Was it right when you killed Miss Sheppard?
她们老了
They were old.
她们将死了
They were dying.
她们也活着
They were living too.
你们也杀过人吧
You've killed.
你们都参过军
You were both soldiers.
你们都打过仗
You both fought.
你们的责任就是杀人
It was your duty to take lives.
而你的责任是救人
And it is your duty to save them.
我问心无愧 钱伯斯先生
My conscience is clear, Mr Chambers.
恐怕你都无法这么说吧
I doubt even you could say that.
他是个疯子
He's a crackpot.
我觉得他挺正常的
Seems sane enough to me.
最不正常的人经常都是这样
The most insane often do.
你相信吗 什么
Do you believe? What?
杀人有正当理由?
There's ever justification for killing?
你觉得我相信的话会干这一行吗
Do you think I'd be in this job if I thought that?
那么战争呢
What about war?
战争不同 你知道那不同
War is different, you know it's different.
你杀过人吗 乔迪
Did you kill, Geordie?
你觉得呢
What do you think?
临走前再喝一杯?
One for the road?
欢迎你再次加入喝酒行列
It's good to have you back.
有点旧了 但是是干净的
It's threadbare but it's clean.
绝对能让你那阴暗的房♥间大为改观
Cheer up that gloomy room of yours no end.
我真不知道该说些什么
I don't know what to say.
这是别人给我的最好的东西
It's the nicest thing anyone ever gave me.
有礼貌还会吸地
Polite and he hoovers,
要是所有的男人都像他一样就好了
if only all men were like him.
如果真是那样 人类就要灭绝了
If they were, there wouldn't be much chance for the human race.
你这是什么意思
What do you mean by that?
没什么
nothing.
客厅里有对情侣
Hand-holders, sitting room.
这么神神秘秘的 为什么要叫我们来
This is all rather mysterious, why the summons?
呃 有点弄错了
Well, there was a bit of confusion.
大主教批准了你们的申请
The Archbishop granted your request.
你可以撒谎的 我们又不会知道
You could have lied. We wouldn't have been any of the wiser.
我 嗯 听说我们赶上了乐子
I, erm...hear we're in for a treat
伦纳德的第二次尝试
Leonard's second coming.
康德曾说过
Kant once wrote -
"如果撒谎 "
"By a lie, "
"一个人就失去了作为人的尊严"
"a man annihilates his dignity as a man."
(Immanuel:康德的名字)
我们的好朋友伊曼努尔可不是说话含糊的人
Our good friend Immanuel wasn't one to mince his words.
他黑白分明地看待事物
He saw things in black and white.
他没有徘徊在灰色地带
He didn't dwell on the grey areas.
但是我们中又有谁没有出于善意而撒过谎呢
But who amongst us can honestly say that we haven't lied for good reason?
我们中又有谁可以说自己一生无瑕疵呢
Who amongst us can say we live a truly good life?
这不是说我们就不应该尝试
And that's not to say we shouldn't try.
我们都应该不断尝试做最好的自己
We should all continually try to be the best we can be.
来逃离过去的罪孽
To escape the sins of our past...
来接受自己和他人的
...to be accepting of our little foibles...
小缺点
and of others.
我们不能回避我们自己
We can't run away from who we are.
我们必须直面真♥相♥
We must turn and face the truth head on.
有时候在生活中
Sometimes in life...
有些事你就得放手去做
it's better just to...get on with things.
亲爱的希尔德加德 收到你的来信我很惊喜
Dear Hildegard, it was a wonderful surprise to hear from you.
我可以理解你对剑桥的想念
I can understand you missing Cambridge.
或许你可以挑个时间回来一趟
Perhaps one day you'll come out for a visit.
我们可以去剑河上划船
We could take a boat out on the Cam.
我很想那样做
I'd like that very much.
(下集预告) 我该把他抓起来吗 长官
Shall I take him in, sir?
抓吧 乔迪 他什么都没做
Go ahead. Geordie, he didn't do anything.
这不是意外 钱伯斯先生
It was no accident, Mr Chambers.
请不要让我爸爸知道 这会毁了他
Please don't let my dad find out. It will destroy him.
你讨厌你的生活
You hate your life.
你如此地讨厌 以至于你都要毁了其他人的
You hate it so much, you have to screw up everyone else's.
你答应过我的
You gave me your word.
犯错的可不是我
I'm not the one in the wrong.
你的大脑不清醒
You're not thinking straight.
要你来告诉我我怎么想!
Don't you tell me what I'm thinking!
你真是笨死了 笨死了!
You're a stupid, stupid man!
别再在我客人面前对我那样
Never behave like that in front of one of my guests again.
如果上帝不在你身边
If you didn't have God on your side,
我会告诉你在哪儿离开 钱伯斯先生
I'd tell you where to get off, Mr Chambers.
还有更好的方法
There was a better way to do this.
我害怕 西德尼 我知道
I'm scared, Sidney. I know.
泰勒先生 你妻子呢?!
Mr Taylor, where's your wife?!
消防队 赶快!
Fire Brigade, right away!