是希尔德加德·斯汤顿的信
It's from Hildegard Staunton.
那德国人
The German.
乔迪
Geordie.
"亲爱的西德尼 展信佳"
'Dear Sidney, I hope this letter finds you well.'
哪里佳了
That's debatable.
"自我丈夫过世的那段哀伤而漫长的日子后"
"It's been some time since I saw you last in those sad,"
"我已经好一阵没见到你了"
"long days after my husband's funeral."
"我想念剑桥 也常常想起你"
"I miss Cambridge and find my thoughts stray to you often."
你小子闷骚
You sly old dog.
你会回信吗
Will you write back?
太快了吧
It's too soon.
从某种程度上来说也太晚了
And in some ways too late.
啊 胡说 拜托有话直说
Ah, bollocks. Be straight with me, please.
有时候在生活中 有些事你就得放手去做
Sometimes in life you just have to get on with things.
你需要的是老婆 不是狗
It's a wife you need, not a dog.
但是我得到的只有狗
A dog is all I was offered.
你的那个新助手 那个基佬 他进来了
That new fella of yours, the pansy, he's just made an entrance.
需要您过去 是急事
You are needed, as a matter of urgency.
醒醒 妈妈
Wake up, Mum.
伊莎贝尔 醒醒!
Isabel. Wake up!
别这样
Stop it.
大人 我在此就两位非教区居民盖·霍普金斯和
阿曼达·肯德尔的婚礼向您寻求大主教的许可
两位将于1953年11月9日成婚
我请求得到在格兰切斯特圣安德鲁和圣玛丽教堂
为两位主持婚礼的许可
感谢您抽时间费心此事
醒醒 妈妈
Wake up, Mum.
醒醒! 醒醒!
'Wake up! Wake up!'
趴下 桑迪! 趴下
Get down, Sandy! Get down!
都烂到心了
Rotten to the core.
我不会参与此事 要茶吗 芬奇先生?
I'm not getting involved. Tea, Mr Finch?
我说全世界下地狱我都不会不喝茶
I say let the world go to hell but I shall always have my tea.
好的 谢谢
Yes, please.
西德尼 这只是初稿
Sidney, it's very much a first draft.
我会很残酷地说实话的 呃 或许不该说残酷
I'll be brutally honest. Well, perhaps not brutally.
关于埃文斯先生的事
With regard to Mr Evans -
我只会管教会和教区的事 马圭尔太太
The church and the parish will be my only concern, Mrs Maguire.
我听说你们遇到个烂苹果
I hear you've got yourself a rotten apple.
他肯定和此事有关
He had something to do with it.
我很肯定 你看看他就知道了
I know he did. You just have to look at him.
抱歉 我们浪费你的时间了
I'm sorry, we've wasted your time.
不 并没有
No, you haven't.
亚瑟·埃文斯
Arthur Evans...
没有他的记录 很可能是用的假名
There's no record of him. Using an alias, most likely.
没有人会用假名 除非...
And no-one uses an alias unless...
他们是烂苹果
They're a rotten apple.
你对他怎么看
What do you think to him?
我应该相信人们的清白
I'm supposed to give people the benefit of the doubt.
你又不比我更信任他
You don't trust him any more than I do.
利文斯通太太认为亚瑟想杀了她
Mrs Livingstone thought that Arthur was trying to do her in.
是她说的 不是我
Her words, not mine.
她可没那么说过 真可怕
She never said that. How awful.
你得相信人们的清白 我不用
You have to give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't.
我要考虑到我的教区居民
I have my parishioners to think about.
黛西·利文斯通也是你的教区居民啊
Daisy Livingstone was your parishioner too.
这事情很微妙 罗宾逊医生
It's a delicate matter, Dr Robinson.
只要我在意 没什么微妙不微妙的
There's no such thing as a delicate matter as far as I'm concerned.
利文斯通太太
Mrs Livingstone.
啊 令人愉快的利文斯通太太
Ah, the delightful Mrs Livingstone.
死因是什么
What was the cause of death?
乳♥房♥♥癌引起的并发症
Complications resulting from breast cancer.
所以你相信她是急着见上帝去了?
So you believe she had a pressing appointment with her Maker?
我觉得她是纯粹因为赌气才活了这么久的
I think she lived longer than she should have out of sheer spite.
有没有可能利文斯通太太 嗯 受到了某种帮助
Is there a chance Mrs Livingstone was, erm...helped on her way?
我觉得她是自然死亡
As far as I'm concerned she died of natural causes.
所以你觉得没理由怀疑?
So you found no reason to think otherwise?
嗯 菲尔丁先生不是很好
Erm...Mr Fielding is not doing so well.
啊 谢谢 贝蒂
Ah, thank you, Betty.
西德尼 我的工作是全力鉴定死因
Sidney, my job is to state the cause of death to the best of my knowledge.
你好吗 菲尔丁先生
How are we today, Mr Fielding?
不是很好 医生
Not too bright, doctor.
稍等 我马上来给你看病
Give me a minute, I'll be right with you.
所以你签署了死亡证明?
So, you signed off on the death certificate?
没理由不签啊
I saw no reason not to.
我以前和这验尸官打过交道
I had dealings with this coroner before.
他快退休了 谢天谢地 他一无是处
He's retiring, thank God. Utterly useless.
意图 每个自大的混账都这么说
Intent. That's all the self-important bastard ever has to say.
不 督察 我觉得问题就应该是意图
No, the question as I see it, Inspector, should always be of intent.
下午好 贾维斯先生 下午好
Good afternoon, Mr Jarvis. Good afternoon.
这案子里没有人有意图吗
And in this case there appears to be none?
完全没有
None whatsoever.
下午好 贾维斯先生 下午好
Good afternoon, Mr Jarvis. Good afternoon.
我不想冒犯你 钱伯斯先生
I don't want to appear impolite, Mr Chambers,
但我觉得这事和你不是很有关系
but I'm not quite sure how this matter involves you.
你是在质疑我的意图吗 贾维斯先生
Are you questioning my intent, Mr Jarvis?
就只是我们不常见到你这种人
It's just that we don't often see the likes of you
出现在这种不太和你投缘的地方
in these less than congenial surroundings.
死亡证明
死亡时间和地点 1953年5月4日 格兰切斯特
姓名 黛西·利文斯通
性别 女
年龄 75
职位 已退休
死因 自然死亡
家属 伊莎贝尔·利文斯通
登记时间 1953年5月5日
你没有进行尸检吗
You didn't perform a post-mortem?
她一直半死不活的
She's been dying for years.
尸体已经归还回去了?
And the body has been released?
啊 我真心希望如此 今天下午就火化
Well, I sincerely hope so, the cremation is this afternoon.
该死的
Bloody hell.
那就只能这样了
Well, that's that, then.
真♥他♥妈♥该死
Bloody, bloody hell.
如果你要为他们主持婚礼
If you're to marry them,
你得询问他们的看法 给他们建议
you have to put them through their paces, give them advice.
当然
Of course.
既然你在管这事
Well, perhaps while you're at it,
或许你可以问埃文斯先生几个相关的问题
you could ask Mr Evans a few pertinent questions.
妈妈自己申请了社区的火化
Mother put herself down for a cremation with the Co-op.
没理由再提这事 我们要考虑结婚的事呢
No point dragging it out, we've got a wedding to think of.
她死的时候谁和她在一起
Who was with her when she died?
没有人 我出去了
No-one, I was out.
我知道有时候亲人的死是一种解脱
I know that when those close to you die, it, it can often be a relief.
我本以为是这样
I thought it would be.
她在临死前并不是一个善良的人
She wasn't a kind woman at the end of her days.
她从来都不是善良的人 但她是我妈
She wasn't a kind woman full stop. Still.
我不会把她说成一个圣人
I will not make the woman out to be a saint.
我们都知道这点
We all know the truth of it.
我们找到了妈妈的遗嘱
We found Mum's will.
把所有的一切都留给她妹妹了
Left everything to her sister.
她看不起格拉迪斯阿姨
She despised Aunt Gladys.
但是更看不起我们
Despised us even more.
亲爱的钱伯斯牧师
谢谢你为了两位非教区居民的婚礼而发来的申请
我很乐意接受他们在格兰切斯特结婚的请求
抱歉
Excuse me?
黛西·利文斯通在哪儿
Daisy Livingstone?
我是来表示哀悼的
I've come to pay my respects.
她不在这里 她被火化了
She isn't here, she was cremated.
你很了解她吗 是很久以前的事了
Did you know her well? Many moons ago.
我知道她不太相信上帝
I know she wasn't a great believer
但是她一直都想长眠于此
but she always wanted to end her days here.
在这棵橡树下 她说这样她就能监视大家了
Under the oak she said so she could keep her eye on everyone.
她总是想监视大家
Always liked to keep her eye on everyone.
总之 谢谢你了
Well, thank you anyway.
墓地契据
矢车菊
Cornflowers.
我姐姐很喜欢
My sister loved them.
真可惜 她没有像她希望的那样被埋在那棵橡树下