Meanwhile, back in the world of real policing,
我查到韦斯金表的线索了
I got a lead on Weiss's gold watch.
想一起去做监视吗
You want to go halves on a stakeout?
今晚吗
Tonight?
我不能
I can't.
就是想给你个机会在案件记录上留名
Just thought you might want to get your name on the charge sheet.
等人家授勋时 可别说我没找过你
When they're giving out medals, don't say I didn't ask.
长官
Sir.
你记得我找到的那本讲布莱斯-汉密尔顿凶案的书
You remember that book I found on the Blaise-Hamilton murders?
-嗯 -我问过了作者
- Yes. - Well, I've spoken to the author.
原来韦斯死前不久
It turns out Weiss had been in contact with him
曾联♥系♥过他
shortly before his death.
我觉得我们得听听他知道什么
I think we should hear what he's got to say.
当然 还是先去见加德纳夫妇
After we've spoken to the Gardiners, of course.
你们说的就是他吗
That was the man you were talking about?
我们不知道啊
We'd no idea.
我们就只知道他的名字
To us, he was just a name.
韦斯先生
A Mr. Weiss
英格兰牛津 精益宗谱服务有限公♥司♥的
of Select Genealogical Services Limited, Oxford, England.
我们约好了本周末见他 但...
We were due to meet him at the end of the week, but...
可以问问你们怎么时隔这么久才
May I ask why you took so long
开始找可能存在的孙子吗
to begin your search for a possible grandchild?
我们被告知了儿子战死时
When we were notified our boy had died,
我们痛苦不堪
we took it hard.
洛厄尔是我们老来得子
Lowell didn't come till late.
又是独生子
He was our only.
但就我们所知
But so far as we knew,
他信里写的婚事也没办成
the marriage he wrote of never took place.
他说他还有其他"重大消息"
He said he had some other "big news,"
但我们得等他在下封信里揭晓
but that would have to wait for his next letter.
但那封信再就没到了
Only that letter never came.
是啊
No.
我想 因为年纪大了
I guess the older we got...
我们很想知道 我们的儿子是否
We just wanted to find out if there was a piece of our boy
真留下了血脉 还存在于这世上
still walking and talking somewhere on God's good earth.
但你们只知道个名字
But you just had a name?
卡罗琳
Caroline.
我知道他是打算娶她的
I know he meant to do right by her.
但他没机会了
He just never got the chance.
我们并不想惹什么麻烦
We'd no mind to go causing trouble or
或是闯入他人的生活 招致反感
bustling in on someone's life unwanted.
我们怎么知道 那姑娘没又找到了好男人
For all we know, that girl may have found a good man
愿意接纳她和那孩子
to take her and the child on both.
给孩子取了名
To give him a name
虔诚地抚养长大
and a decent Christian raising.
我们只是想知道
We just wanted to find out.
到了我们这年纪
It's important to know these things
就特想知道这种事
when you get to our age.
他们走了
They've gone.
他们也做不了什么了
There's nothing more they can do.
他们会留个人守大门
They're leaving a man on the gate.
你认识亚德里安·韦斯吗 菲茨欧文先生
You knew Adrian Weiss, Mr. Fitzowen?
算不上
I wouldn't say that.
他几个月前给我写了信
He wrote to me some months ago,
打听我所知的
asking me for any
关于布莱斯-汉密尔顿家族的一切情况
information I might have on the Blaise-Hamiltons.
我便让他去看我的书 可惜现在已绝版
I referred him to my book, now sadly out of print.
你没见到过他吗
You never met him?
对 但我在《邮报》里读到了他被杀的事
No. I read of his murder in the Mail, of course.
当然了 我也一直在关注
And naturally, I've been following news
这姑娘失踪的新闻
of this girl's disappearance.
你周六下午在哪
Where were you on Saturday afternoon?
我得问一句
Just for the record.
基本都在雄鹰酒吧
In the Eagle, for the most part.
绝对没在博物馆里
And most certainly not in the museum
割谁的喉
cutting anyone's throat.
有人能为你作证吗
Anyone vouch for you?
店主估计能
The landlord, I should imagine.
还有我的其他酒友
And my fellow reprobates.
有趣的是这一切偏偏现在发生 不是吗
Interesting all this should be happening now, don't you think?
本周三是凶案的百年纪念日
This Wednesday marking the centenary of the murders.
你们请坐吧
If you'd like to take a seat...
我擅自做了安排
I've taken the liberty.
幻灯秀呢
A magic lantern show.
我相信你们会大有收获
I believe it may prove instructive.
当时的传言认为 布莱斯-汉密尔顿太太
The talk at the time suggested Mrs. Blaise-Hamilton
可能正是凶手
may have been the perpetrator.
但因为她长♥期♥患有精神病
But since she was long afflicted with a nervous malady
一直卧病在床
and confined to her bed,
这个说法很快不攻自破
that was quickly discounted.
这都是正式的警方照片
These are official police photographs.
你怎么拿到的
How did you come by them?
这种东西可是笔好买♥♥卖♥♥呢 督察
Well, there's a lively trade in such material, Inspector,
颇受恐怖爱好者的欢迎
amongst connoisseurs of the macabre.
案子原本由一位郡警官负责
The case was originally under control of a county officer
埃奇顿警司
Superintendent Edgeton.
他是个好人 但这事他做不来
A good man, but out of his depth.
当时民情激愤
Public feeling was running high.
大家都希望能尽快伸张正义
There was a demand for quick justice.
伦敦警♥察♥厅便派去了兰勒督察
The Yard sent Detective Inspector Langley
和卡夫警员 他们接手了调查
and Detective Constable Cuff to take over the investigations.
他们的调查很快指向了约瑟夫·奥康纳
Their inquiries soon led to Joseph O'Connell,
他来自威克洛郡 是本地皆知的偷猎者
originally of County Wicklow and a well-known local poacher.
在死因调查上 家族的猎场看守
It was given under oath at the inquest
本杰明·皮克斯托克
by the family gamekeeper
和其子罗伯特宣誓作证说
Benjamin Pickstock, and his son Robert,
奥康纳曾发誓
that O'Connell had been sworn
要报复布莱斯-汉密尔顿
to be revenged on Blaise-Hamilton
前者曾因偷猎 被后者正当地鞭打过
for a just flogging received at his hand.
我们并没查到庭审记录
We've found no record of a trial.
你们不会查到的
Nor will you.
警方抓到他前
Before the police could take him,
他便割喉自尽
he was found with his throat laid open from ear to ear
伤口深及两耳
by his own hand.
以此来逃避
Thus avoiding the noose
必然等待他的绞索
which surely awaited him.
他有罪吗
Was he guilty?
Fitz前缀的姓氏是常见爱尔兰姓氏
作为一个菲茨欧文
Bearing the surname Fitzowen,
我可以作证
I can testify to this.
"如果有怀疑 就怪罪爱尔兰人"
"When in doubt, blame the Irish."
但兰勒督察并不信服
But Inspector Langley didn't believe so,
而他的怀疑害他丢了饭碗
and those doubts cost him his job.
他被警队解雇
He was dismissed from the police
变成了穷酒鬼
and died a broken drunk
死在了道金的廉价公♥寓♥里
in a cheap rooming house in Dorking.
他觉得奥康纳被陷害了
He thought O'Connell had been framed?
塞缪尔·布莱斯-汉密尔顿有钱有势
Samuel Blaise-Hamilton was a rich and powerful man
连警♥察♥总监
who numbered the Commissioner of Police
和内政大臣都是他的密友
and the Home Secretary amongst his intimates.
于是案子便成了悬案
So it went unsolved.
官方定论是的
Officially.
我的理论是
My own theory is
凶手是活下来的大女儿夏洛特
that it was the surviving daughter Charlotte
她杀害了自己的弟妹
who slew her siblings.
凶器是门球杆
Armed with a croquet mallet.
而我能找到的照片证据
What photographic evidence I have managed to unearth
也佐证了我的理论
bears out my theory.
如果那划痕还不足以证明
If those scratches aren't the sign
难以抑制的仇恨
of an overwhelming hatred,
我也不知道那算什么了
I don't know what is.
剧集 | 摩斯探长前传 | 导航列表