-对我来说,是工作。——哦。
- In my case, jobs. - Oh.
-你看,玛丽,不管一个人在监狱里的记录有多好,除非他们有工作,否则他们是不能假释出来的。
- You see, Mary, no matter how good a person's record has been in prison, they can't get out on parole unless they have a job to come to.
如果有人不给那些可怜的人改过自新的机会,他们怎么可能不再是罪犯呢?
Now, if somebody doesn't give those poor guys a chance to go straight, how are they gonna stop being criminals?
-哦,胡说。
- Oh, nonsense.
他们天生如此,试图改变他们是没有用的。
They were born that way and there's no use trying to change them.
-你知道吗,玛丽,自从我开始做这个实验以来,我还没有出现过一次退步的情况?
- Do you know, Mary, that since I've started this experiment, I haven't had one case of backsliding?
-哦,杰罗姆,我不知道你为什么要这么麻烦。
- Oh, Jerome, I don't know why you have to be such a problem.
马文太太的丈夫只集邮,而不是你。
Mrs. Marvin's husband just collects stamps, but not you.
哦,不。你的嗜好一定是小偷和狱卒。
Oh, no. You must have thieves and jailbirds for a hobby.
-一个是14岁。
- And one is 14.
5是20。谢谢你!
And five is 20. Thank you.
-卡特。——是吗?
- Carter. - Yeah?
-有个顾客找你。
- There's a customer asking for you.
-哦,呃…不能让别人带他去吗?
- Oh, uh... Can't somebody else take him?
-这位先生找你,卡特先生。
- The gentleman asked for you, Mr. Carter.
说你了解他的脚。
Says you know his feet.
——好的。
- Okay.
先生,您要点什么?
What can I show you, sir?
-一块钱的东西。
- Something in a buck.
-好的,先生。
- Okay, sir.
先生,白的,棕的,还是灰的?
White, tan, or gray, sir?
你非得来这儿吗?
Did you have to come here?
-乔怎么了…白色,橡胶底。
- What's Joe... White, with rubber soles.
乔会怎么做?
What's Joe gonna do?
-你为什么不问问他?
- Why don't you ask him?
噢!
Ow!
-我在问你。
- I'm asking you.
——噢!
- Ow!
别闹了,行吗?
Cut it out, will ya?
-这个季节白色的雄鹿聪明吗?
- Is white buck smart this season?
-很聪明,先生。
- Oh, very smart, sir.
好吧,你想知道什么?
Okay, what do you wanna know?
-乔要走吗?-我也是这么听说的
- Is Joe going away? - That's what I hear.
-他在想什么?
- What's he got on his mind?
-我可以告诉你,不是你。
- It ain't you, I can tell you that.
你怎么不放过他?
What don't you leave him alone?
-我受不了了,金皮。
- I can't stand it, Gimpy.
我的良心不会让我眼睁睁看着像乔这样有才华的人丢了工作。
My conscience won't let me just stand around and see a guy with Joe's talents rot on a job.
-你没有良心。
- You ain't got any conscience.
-是啊,我每次看到你都很难过,瘸子卡特,二楼的男人,变成了一个凳子骑师。
- Yeah, it kills me every time I look at you, Gimp Carter, second-story man, turning into a stool jockey.
-我得…-把我的鞋系好。我什么都不买♥♥。
- Well, I gotta make... - Tie up my shoe. I ain't gonna buy nothin'.
告诉乔,在他走之前我想见见他。
And tell Joe I wanna see him before he leaves.
我不是说可能。
And I don't mean maybe.
-听着,我告诉你,这是个好买♥♥卖♥♥,我应该知道。
- Listen, I'm telling you, this is a good racket and I oughta know.
所有的球拍我都试过了。
There isn't a racket I haven't tried.
看那个握把。
Look at that grip.
-嗯,让我试试。
- Mm, let me try it.
-如果你想学新的握法,我们这里有指导员。
- Uh, we have an instructor here, if you want to learn any new grips.
我只是这里的推销员。
I'm just the salesman here.
——好的。
- Okay.
我要卖♥♥。
I'm sold.
——谢谢。
- Thanks.
-哦,我还想买♥♥双网球鞋。
- Oh, and I want some tennis shoes.
你觉得我需要什么?
What do you think I need?
-我什么都不知道
- Uh, I wouldn't know anything about that.
所有的鞋子都在一楼。
All shoes are on the first floor.
他们包球拍的时候我给你看。
I'll show you while they're wrapping the racket.
请这边走。
Step this way, please.
——好的。
- Okay.
你玩吗?
Do you play?
-你是说网球?——是的。
- Tennis, you mean? - Yes.
你看起来会做得很好。
You look like you'd be pretty good.
-你好吗?
- How are you?
-我从来没有抱怨过。
- Well, I never had any complaints.
-你和谁一起玩过?
- Who have you played with?
-哦,好多好球员啊。
- Ooh, a lot of good players.
你不会认识他们的。
You wouldn't know them.
我想找个时间和你一起玩。
I'd like to play with you sometime.
——什么?抱歉,但我今晚要离开这里。
- What? Oh, I'm sorry, but I'm leaving town tonight.
——哦。
- Oh.
-这位先生会照顾你的,你会在包装柜台找到你的球拍。
- This gentleman will take care of you, and you'll find your racket at the wrapping counter.
-谢谢。再见,祝你好运。
- Thank you. Goodbye, and good luck.
-谢谢。
- Thank you.
——嘘!嗨,乔。
- Psst! Hey, Joe.
-你好,金皮。
- Hello, Gimpy.
-我刚看到米奇了。
- I just seen Mickey.
我觉得他不喜欢你离开。
I don't think he likes you going away.
-那又怎样?
- So what?
-我会小心的,乔他是个硬汉。
- Well, I'd be careful, Joe. He's a hard guy.
-这让我很担心。
- That worries me.
-他想在你走之前见你一面
- Well, he wants to see you before you leave.
嘿,你为什么不去找老莫里斯谈谈米基和他们?
Hey, why don't you go to Old Man Morris about Mickey and them guys?
他知道你想保持诚实。
He knows you're trying to stay on the level.
他会让他们裁员。
He'd make 'em lay off.
-我什么时候变成爱尖叫的人了?
- Since when have I been a squealer?
-好的,乔,好的。不要感到疼痛。
- Okay, Joe, okay. Don't get sore.
你真的不需要我陪你去汽车站之类的吗?
Sure you don't want me to go with you to the bus station or anything?
——谢谢。我走之前还有点事要处理。
- Thanks. Uh, I got something to attend to before I go.
我准备了几封信让你带上。
- I fixed up a couple of letters for you to take along.
——谢谢。
- Thanks.
-嗯,他们可能会有帮助。
- Well, they may help.
我不想看到你离开,乔。
I hate to see you leave, Joe.
不是因为有人发现了你的事,对吧?
It isn't because anyone's found out about you, is it?
-不,先生。
- No, sir.
每个人都很好。
Everybody's been swell.
-加州离这里很远。
- And California's a long way off.
我认为你的理由是出于个人原因。
I take it then that your reason is something personal.
-是的,先生。
- Yes, sir.
就是这样。这是私人的事情。
That's it. It's something personal.
莫里斯先生,你看。
Mr. Morris, look.
我想谢谢你,明白吗?
I wanna thank you, see?
现在,当有人问我最后在哪里工作时,我不必转身就走。
When anyone asks me now where I worked last, I don't have to turn around and walk out.
-你应该是一个非常危险的角色。
- You're supposed to be a very dangerous character.
他们告诉我像你这样有前科的人永远不会改过自新。
They told me that a man with your record would never go straight.
我很高兴你证明了他们错了。
I'm glad that you've proved 'em wrong.
继续努力,孩子。
Keep it up, kid.
我知道这并不容易。
I know it hasn't been easy.
再见,乔。记住,你总是可以回来的。
Goodbye, Joe. Remember, you can always come back.
-你好,乔。-你好,米奇。
- Hello, Joe. - Hello, Mickey.
-你有空吗?——不。
- You got a minute? - Nope.
-听着,乔,我有个建议,你这样的聪明人应该会感兴趣的。
- Now listen, Joe, I got a proposition that oughta interest a smart guy like you.
-我今晚要离开这里。
- I'm leaving town tonight.
-我想你不会再坚持8点的工作了。
- I figured you wouldn't stick to no 8 o'clock job much longer.
你要怎么做?
What are you gonna do?
-找另一份8点的工作。
- Get another 8 o'clock job.
-那为什么要来这里?
- Then why the trip?
他们告诉我这里的气候对我有好处。
- They tell me the climate'll do me good.
外面的一切都变大了。
Everything grows big out there.
——是吗?
- Yeah?
别对你的老朋友太大了,乔。
Well, don't get too big for your old friends, Joe.
我们可能不喜欢它。
We might not like it.
-那太糟糕了。
- That'd be too bad.
你好。
Hello.
- - - - - -你好。
- Hello.
-等很久了?
- Been waiting long?
-好像好几天了。
- Seems like days.
你的手呢?
Where's your grip?
-我在公交车站查过了。
- Oh, I checked it at the bus station.
-我又看了一遍。
- I've been looking at that again.
天啊,想象一下,有些女孩会毫不在意地进去买♥♥下它。
Gee, just imagine, some girls would go in there and buy it and think nothing of it.
电影精选列表