什么事
Yes?
我叫波尔
My name's Poole.
波尔探长
Inspector Poole.
你这是什么意思 你得从前门进来
What's the meaning of this? There's a front door, you know!
我想和你谈谈 伯令先生 我觉得你应该在这儿
I wanted to talk to you, Mr Birling.. I thought I'd find you here.
你真是很聪明啊
Very bright of you, I'm sure!
饭点的时候 人们确实都在餐厅里
People usually are in the dining room at dinner time!
既然你现在来了 有搜查令吗
Oh, well, now you're here, where's the warrant?
没有搜查令 伯令先生
Oh, there's no warrant, Mr Birling.
那是什么事
Well, what is it, then?
如果您不介意的话 我想了解点情况
I'd like some information if you don't mind.
你要坐下来吗
Well, you'd better sit down.
谢谢
Thank you.
说吧
Well?
大约两小时前 一个年轻女子在医院死了
About two hours ago a young woman died in the infirmary.
她于今天下午服毒后被送到了医院
She'd been removed there this afternoon after taking poison.
经鉴定 她喝了强效消毒剂
It's believed some strong disinfectant.
太可怕了
Oh, how horrible.
是啊 确实是 总之不是什么好事
Yes. Yes, it wasn't a pleasant sight.
是自杀吗
Suicide?
我们现在还不能确定
Well, that, of course, we don't know yet, for certain.
医生已经在全力抢救 但是…
They did everything they could for her in the infirmary, but...
无济于事
she died.
太可怕了 太可怕了
Yes, yes. Horrible. Horrible.
但我不明白这和您的造访有什么关系 探长
But I don't understand why you've come here, Inspector?
我在她的房♥间找到一封信 还有一些日记
I've been round to her room she had. And she left a letter and some sort of diary.
跟很多年轻女子一样 被很多俗事缠身
Like a lot of young women who get into various kinds of trouble,
她更换过很多名字
she'd used more than one name.
但是她的本名
But her original name, her real name,
叫伊娃·史密斯
was Eva Smith.
伊娃·史密斯
Eva Smith?
是的
Yes.
您有印象吗 伯令先生
Do you remember her, Mr Birling?
没有
No.
但我感觉在哪里听过这个名字
But I seem to remember having heard that name somewhere.
伊娃·史密斯
Eva Smith.
但是我还是没有印象
But it doesn't convey anything to me.
我不明白这事和我有什么关系 探长
I don't see where I come into this, Inspector.
她是您的雇员 伯令先生
But she was employed in your works, Mr Birling.
是吗 那难怪了
Oh, that's it! Well, of course!
我们有几百个的女职工 还一直在变动
We've got several hundred young women there and they keep changing.
但是这位伊娃·史密斯和别人不一样
Ah, but this young woman, Eva Smith, was a bit out of the ordinary.
我在她的住所发现了一张照片
I found a photograph of her in her lodgings.
也许这张照片能帮您回忆起一些事情来
Perhaps... perhaps this will help you to remember.
我们为什么不能一起看这张照片呢 探长
Any reason why we shouldn't see this woman's photograph, Inspector?
稍后吧
There might be.
您现在认出来了吧 伯令先生
You recognise her now, don't you, Mr Birling?
没错
Yes!
我记得她 她是我们厂里的
I remember her. She was one of my employees.
什么时候的事
When was this?
两年前吧
Oh, a couple of years ago.
应该是1910年的秋天吧
'It must have been the autumn of 1910.
大概是我们新开了厂房♥那阵子
'About the time we opened our new machine shop.
没错 她确实和别人不一样
'Yes, she was out of the ordinary.
一个聪明漂亮的女孩
An intelligent, good-looking girl.
事实上 领班曾告诉我他打算给这个女孩升职
'If fact, the foreman told me he was ready to promote her 'to what they call
让她做个线长
a leading operator.
让她带着另外一群女孩
'Head of a small group of girls.
她在这些女工里头还有点影响力
She had quite a bit of spirit.'
但我没想到她却是个麻烦制♥造♥者
'I didn't know then that she was a troublemaker.'
就只有轻工车间的女孩
It's only the girls in the light machine shop, isn't it?
不是整个车间吧
Not the whole boiling?
就这些女的 先生
Only the women, sir.
来了多少人
How many are coming up?
五个代表 先生
A deputation of five, sir.
让她们进来吧
All right. You'd better show 'em in.
好的 先生
Right, sir.
听说你们对工钱不满意
I understand you're dissatisfied with the money you're getting here.
是不是
Is that so?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
她们拿了多少钱
How much are they getting at the moment?
平均每周22先令6便士 先生
They're averaging 22 shillings and 6p a week, sir.
这是现在这个行业的平均薪价吧
That's the usual rate in the industry at present, isn't it?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
听到没有
You see?
你们觉得自己应该拿到多少钱
How much do you think you ought to get?
25先令 先生
25 shillings, sir.
不好意思 这可不行
Well, I'm sorry, but it can't be clone.
为什么不行
Why can't it be done?
你是说"为什么不行"?
Did you say, "Why can't it be done"?
是的
Yes.
我觉得我没必要给你解释
I don't see why I should have to give you an explanation.
那您为什么会见我们
Well, why are you seeing us, then?
好吧 那我就告诉你
All right, I'll tell you.
如果我答应你们的要求 成本就得上涨10%
If I agreed to your demands, costs would go up 10%.
如果成本上涨10% 价格就要上涨10%
And if costs went up 10%, prices would go up 10%,
这样就不能击败竞争对手 把商品卖♥♥出去
and we should be unable to sell our goods against our competitors.
那样的话工厂就会关门 你们也会下岗 满意了吗
If that happened, the factory would close and you'd be out of work. Satisfied?
不
No.
那恐怕你就只能保留不满了
Well, I'm afraid you'll have to remain unsatisfied.
我说过了 我们付的工钱和别的工厂一样
I've told you, we're paying the usual rates.
但这些工钱不够生活的啊
But what if you can't live on them?
那你大可去别的地方工作 这是个自♥由♥的国家
You'll have work somewhere else. It's a free country, after all.
那如果在别的地方找不到工作呢
What's the use of that if you can't get work somewhere else?
对不起 这不是我的问题
I'm sorry, but that's no concern of mine.
我怕我们这次会有麻烦
There'll be trouble, sir, I'm afraid.
你是说她们会罢♥工♥吗
Oh, you mean they'll strike?
我觉得很有可能 先生
I'm sure of it, sir.
她们刚休假回来 是不是
Just back from their holidays, aren't they?
是的
Yes, sir.
是啊 休完了假期 她们一定会一贫如洗
Yes, well, it'll soon be over. They'll all be broke.
等她们尝到了苦头 就会哭着喊着要回来的
As soon as they feel the pinch, they'll be crying to come back.
那我们还接收她们吗
You'll take 'em back, sir?
当然收啊 还是老价钱
Yes, at the old rates.
但我是不会收那些挑头的 比如刚刚那个女的
I won't accept the ringleaders. That girl, for instance.
她太自以为是了 把她炒了
She had far too much to say for herself. Get rid of her.
所以伊娃·史密斯和另外四五个人一起被开除了
So Eva Smith, together with four or five others, was discharged.
所以她就自杀了?
Is that why she killed herself?
少胡说八道 艾瑞克
Don't be ridiculous, Eric!
那时候你还没开始工作呢
All this happened before you'd even started in the works.
两年前了
Nearly two years ago.
很显然此事跟这个可怜女孩的自杀没任何关系
It obviously had nothing to do with the wretched girl's suicide, Inspector.
我没说这是自杀
I didn't say it was suicide.
那你觉得是什么
What are you suggesting?
我现在还没有任何想法 伯令先生
I'm not suggesting anything, Mr Birling.
我仅仅是想追根溯源 还原整件事情的前因后果
I'm merely trying to trace the facts, the chain of events
找出导致这个女孩死亡的真♥相♥
that led to the death of this girl.
但是我不应该为此负责
But good heavens, man, I can't accept any responsibility!
如果所有和我们打过交道的人
If we were all responsible for everything
我们都要对他们负责
that happened to people that we'd had anything to do with...
那未免也太奇怪了吧
Well, it would be very awkward, wouldn't it?
是啊 太奇怪了
Oh, yes. Very awkward.
可是在那种情形下 你还能有什么别的选择
In any case, I can't see you in the circumstance you could've done anything else, sir.
有别的选择 他本可以把她留下 而不是开除她
Yes, he could. He could have kept her on instead of throwing her out.
只能认倒霉了
I call it tough luck.
胡说
Rubbish!
如果你不压制她们 过不多久她们就会得寸进尺
If you don't come down sharply on them, they'll soon be asking for the earth!
为什么她们不能要求加薪 我们都在追求高利润了
Why shouldn't they ask for higher wages? We try for the highest prices!
我不明白为什么她被开除了 就因为有斗争精神
I don't see why she should been sacked just because she had more spirit than others!
你说过她是一个好工人 要是我就把她留下
You said yourselves she was a good worker. I'd have let her stay!
电影精选列表