探访超凡地球
塞伦盖蒂 坦桑尼亚
晚上8点55分
希望我们别碰上夜行的狮子
GEORGE: Let's hope we don't see what the lions do at night.
希望我们在狮子看到我们前 先看到它们
Let's hope we see lions before they see us.
嘿 雷姆 可以关灯吗?
Hey, Rem. Can you cut the lights?
酷
Cool.
探险家及摄影师 乔治·斯坦梅茨
威尔 这是…我们的夜视镜
Well, this is. . . We got a pair of night vision goggles,
你试一下 告诉我你看到什么
and if you look out there, and tell me what you see.
我需要夜视镜 才能知道夜视镜在哪
I need night vision goggles to get the night vision goggles from you.
我看得出来它们是牛羚
Well, I can see they're wildebeest.
很好
GEORGE: Well, that's a start.
你看得出它们的形状 或是群体的形状吗?
Can you tell their shape? Like the shape of the. . . of the group?
没办法
WILL: I can't tell, really. . .
它们全都重叠在一起 我看不出来
They're like layered up, so I can't really tell.
-重叠? 对
-GEORGE: Kind of stacked up? WILL: Yeah.
那看看… 我还想给你看另一个玩意儿
GEORGE: I don't know. Let's see what. . . I've got a. . . another toy
I wanted to show you.
不知道狮子在黑暗中的视力如何
I wonder if a lion could see in this kind of darkness. I dunno.
我们不需要知道
WILL: Well, that's. . . We don't need to find out that.
不是 我只是… 我指的是牛羚
GEORGE: No, no, I just die. . . I'd. . . I'd die with the wildebeest.
-跟得上吗? 我看不到
-You can follow me? WILL: I can't see.
-我抓住你了 没事 好的 慢点
-GEORGE: Yeah, I got you, we're good. WILL: All right. Hold on.
我一直很想亲眼看见牛羚
WILL: My whole life, I've wanted to see wildebeest.
我只是没想到会是在黑暗中 还有狮子在附近
I just didn't think it would be in the dark with lions everywhere.
但乔治总有些异于常人的想法
But George has a different way of looking at everything.
我们正看着这群家伙 有趣的是它们正在移♥动♥
GEORGE: Well, we're looking at these guys, it's interesting, they're moving out.
哇 真的
WILL: Oh, wow, yeah.
我不认为它们能看见任何东西
GEORGE: But I don't think they can see anything at night.
所以它们虽然组成了队形 但不是靠视力
So they're falling in like that, but they're not falling in based on sight?
没错
GEORGE: That's right.
它们走得不一样
They're walking differently.
像是某种防卫性队形
Almost kind of like a loose defensive formation.
它们正聚集在一起好团体行动
They're coming together and working as a group.
-它们很明显在跟随彼此 没错
-They're clearly following each other. GEORGE: That's right.
可是 它们看不见又不出声
WILL: But if they don't see well, and they're not making any noise,
它们怎么知道彼此在哪?
how do they know where the others are?
大迁徙的智慧
大约三十年前 我拿起一本《国家地理》杂♥志♥
Around thirty years ago, I picked up a National Geographic Magazine
看到了这个
and saw this.
这张一百五十万牛羚 在非洲草原上的照片
That image, one and a half million wildebeests on the plains of Africa,
从此烙印在我脑海
has stayed with me ever since.
地表上最壮观的迁徙
The most dramatic migration on Earth.
我终于要亲眼目睹了
And finally, I'm here to see it.
嘿 威尔 来看看这个
GEORGE: Hey, Will. Come up and take a look.
好
WILL: All right.
Whoa!
好多牛羚
GEORGE: That's a lot of wildebeest, man.
终于可以近距离看它们 长得有点好笑
WILL: Seeing them up close, finally. Man, they're kind of funny-looking.
牛羚的长相很一般
GEORGE: Wildebeest are not the most elegant animal.
头脑也不是很好
Or the most intelligent.
乔治对牛羚的评价很直接
WILL: George is straight-up clowning wildebeest.
但既没有外型也没有头脑
But, hey, if they don't get by on their looks or their brains,
它们是靠什么在野外生存?
how do they survive out here in the wild?
这就是乔治想给我看的
Well, that's what George wants me to see.
最前面的牛羚 一面吃草一面带队
The front runners chow down on the grass ahead of the herd,
大伙只能跟着不停移♥动♥
so they all have to keep constantly moving.
我们也是
And so do we.
乔治 你为何来到非洲?
So, George, what got you to. . . to Africa?
因为生活有点乏味 当时我是个无聊的大学生
I got kind of bored, I was a. . . kind of bored college student,
然后我决定放手一搏
and I decided to get the hell out, and I wanted. . .
就一路搭便车来到非洲
I went to Africa, I came hitchhiking here.
-我买♥♥了去伦敦的单程机票 哇
-I bought a one-way ticket to London. . . Wow.
然后搭便车到刚果
-. . . and I hitchhiked down to Congo. Whoa.
太有趣了 而且可以学到更多
And I found it was really fascinating and there was so much more to learn.
-是 我至今仍这么认为
-WILL: Yeah. And I still feel that way.
你会遇到很多危险 但你也会学到很多
Once you get into dangerous things, you just keep on learning more and more.
对 没错
WILL: Yeah. Exactly.
你希望捕捉到什么样的画面?
What kind of image are you hoping to capture?
我想捕捉到迁徙的关键时刻
Well, I'm trying to capture the key moment in the migration
当牛羚渡河
when the, um. . . when the wildebeest cross the river.
你成功的机率有多高?
How often do you capture exactly what you're looking for?
这是个令人沮丧的问题
That's kind of a depressing question.
我拍摄野生动物超过四十年
GEORGE: I've been photographing wildlife for over forty years.
身为一名摄影师 你总想捕捉最深刻的画面
As a photographer, you try to capture these incisive moments in an animal,
动物最原生态的那一面
where they reveal the true nature of their species.
但最珍贵也最壮观的 莫过于牛羚渡河
And the greatest, the biggie of all, is the crossing of the wildebeest.
雷姆 以你的经验来说 这有多罕见?
In your experience, Rem, how rare is it?
捕捉到牛羚渡河到底有多难?
How easy will it be for you to catch a crossing?
看到牛羚的机率很高
You have a big chance of seeing a wildebeest, of course.
国家公园管♥理♥员♥ 雷姆土拉纳沙里
-WILL: Yeah. But it's seeing crossing,
-是 但渡河非常罕见
that's very rare.
如果你不让我看到渡河
But I think you can consider it a great failure
这将成为你人生中一大败笔
if you don't show me a. . . a crossing.
-当然 牛羚才不在乎
-Of course. You know, wildebeest don't care. . .
你是谁或你等多久
wildebeest don't care who you are, or how long you've been waiting.
-我知道 它们才不在乎
-I know, right. They don't really care.
你们知道为什么吗?
Hey, you guys, do you know what? The wildebeest haven't seen
因为牛羚没看过《MIB星际战警》
Men in Black, I guess.
老实说 牛羚有更大的烦恼
In fairness, they've got more pressing things to think about.
它们必须同心协力 躲过饥饿的狮子 鬣狗和猎豹
But somehow, between them, they manage to survive a 300-mile trek
好完成这趟三百英里的旅程
past hungry lions, hyenas, and cheetahs.
它们是怎么做到的?
What's their secret?
答案就藏在三千英里外
Perhaps the answer lies in a completely different creature
另一种生物的身上
over 3, 000 miles away from here.
尼泊尔
世界上体积最大的蜜蜂 和牛羚有什么关系?
WILL: But what can the world's largest honeybee
tell us about wildebeest?
你有看过这种蜜蜂吗?
ALDO: Have you seen bees like this before?
我从没看过
CORY: I've never seen anything like this before.
你必须想办法靠近
Your problem's gonna be how to get in there and be able to then. . .
绳索专家 奥尔多·凯恩
然后试图稳定住自己 这样才能拍摄
-sort yourself out to be able to shoot. Not. . . Okay, yeah.
对 没错
探险家和摄影师 科里·理查兹
-So I'm not spinning in space. Yeah.
-这样我才不会空转 对
或许我们可以试着爬上去
ALDO: Maybe we'll try and climb up from the bottom
然后从上面慢慢调整位置
and then, from there, try to get in position.
我认为我们应该试试
Well, I guess we should go try it.
请保佑我们 不论本地人还是外国人
MALE VOICE:
他们是来捕蜂还是拍照?
MALE VOICE 1:
看起来不大像是捕蜂 他们没有带对的器材
一个蜂巢内最多 可能有十万只蜜蜂
CORY: There can be as many as 100, 000 bees on a single hive.
它们有时很不友善
And they can be pretty damn hostile.
当你吊挂在绳索上 而它们决定倾巢而出
If they decide to swarm when you're at the top of a rope,
你一点办法都没有
there's literally nothing you can do.
奥尔多 我好了!
Aldo, I'm in position!
你够近吗?完毕
ALDO: Can you get quite close? Over.
我碰得到它
CORY: I can touch it.
我的手可以碰到外层 我的脚可以碰到内部
I can touch the outer part with my hand and the inner part with my foot.
我要想办法刺♥激♥它们
I'm gonna try to trigger 'em.
蜂巢周围有个隐形的防线
There's a sort of invisible barrier around a hive.
大约有二十英尺的距离
It's about 20 inches away.
一旦防线被侵犯 奇妙的事就会发生
Cross that line, and something astonishing happens.
哇 太神奇了
Wow. Incredible.
这是它们的防卫机制
It's a kind of defense strategy.
当蜜蜂发现有外来者 侵犯它们的防线
If the bees spot a predator breaking through that perimeter,
它们会抖动自己的身体 开启这个壮观的连锁效应
they flip their bodies, starting this massive chain reaction.
彷佛它们全都连结在一起 不仅仅是身体
It's like they're somehow all connected, and not just by touch,
就连思考模式都是一体的
but like they're thinking as a single unit.
一只蜜蜂并没有太大的杀伤力
WILL: On its own, each bee doesn't amount to much.
但一群蜜蜂却能够成就大业
But as a swarm, they can create something big enough
至少足以困惑和击退 大部分外来敌人
or confusing enough. . .
to deter almost any attacker.
我们看到蜜蜂 有华丽的防御招数
So the bees have their shimmer trick to throw off predators.
但牛羚并没有
But the wildebeest don't have that.