至少我不认为
I don't think.
那它们如何保护自己?
So how do they defend themselves?
雷姆 那边有头狮子 我们可以停一下吗?
Rem, there's a lion over there. Can we stop for a minute?
看向左边
Look out on the left.
有 我看到它了
WILL: Oh, yeah, I see her. I see her.
GEORGE: And. . . ?
它不见了 我看不到它了
WILL: She's gone again. I lost her.
来试试改变一下视角
GEORGE: Let's try changing our perspective.
我喜欢从最高点 从新的角度看东西
GEORGE: I've always loved getting up and looking at things in a new way.
我小的时候很爱爬树
When I was a kid, I was a real tree climber,
常把我妈惹毛
much to my mother's chagrin.
我喜欢爬到最高的树枝上
I loved climbing up to the tallest branches
去看我家后院
to get a view over my back yard.
只是我家后院现在变得更大了
And now my back yard's become a lot bigger.
有看到吗?
WILL: Any luck?
有看到它吗?
Can you see her?
哇!好像快闪族
Wow!
Like a flash mob.
如果换成是人类 早就一团乱了
If it were humans down there, that would be chaos.
我应该会东倒西歪 不是撞到这个家伙
I'd be tripping up and bangin' off this dude,
就是那个家伙
and runnin' into that guy over there.
但牛羚们不疾不徐一直前进
But the herd didn't miss a beat. Just kept on keepin' on.
看起来很困难
It looks difficult.
但实际上 只需要遵从三个简单规则
But it turns out, you just have to follow three simple rules.
一套适用于所有集体迁徙动物的规则
Rules that apply to all sorts of animals that swarm.
荷兰
规则一 别离你的邻居太远
Rule number one, don't get too far away from your neighbor.
规则二
Rule number two,
也别离你的邻居太近
don't get too close to your neighbor either.
规则三 追随邻居的每一步
Rule number three, if your neighbor turns, you turn.
这样成千上万的个体
And that's enough to turn thousands of individuals
就能组成美丽且复杂的队形
into something beautiful and complex.
椋鸟飞行的时速可达四十英里
Starlings can fly at 40 miles an hour.
要维持这个队形 它们必须拥有赛车手般的反应
So to keep together in formation, they need the reactions of racing drivers.
尤其是其他的“车子” 不仅仅在前后方
Especially as the other "cars" aren't just in front or behind,
还有上下
they're above and below.
一般人很难发觉这有多特别 直到你勾勒出它们的队形
It's hard to get how special that is, until you see it mapped out.
数十万只鸟 绕着不停变化的赛道飞行
A hundred thousand birds racing around a constantly changing track
却没有一次意外
without a single crash.
牛羚也是如此 遵从简单的规则且不去多想
That's the way the wildebeest roll too, with simple rules and not overthinking it.
它们或许没那么快或没那么优雅 但在寻找新鲜草原的过程中
They're not as fast or as pretty, but as they search for fresh grass,
牛羚同样组织缜密
the wildebeest are just as coordinated.
唯有到了马拉河畔 状况会变得比较复杂
Things get more complicated when they reach the Mara River.
追随邻居的脚步
Keeping an eye on the guy next to you isn't much use,
在急流和巨鳄面前 没有多大用处
when you're facing strong currents. . . and giant crocs.
这是三百英里旅程中 最危险的地方
It's the single most dangerous part of the whole 300-mile round trip.
马拉河
等等 我们可以下车吗?
Wait, we can get out here?
没事
GEORGE: It's safe. Yeah, get out.
-下车吧 我让你先下
WILL: I'm gonna let you get out first.
“看起来很安全 你要不要先下?”
GEORGE: "That looks good, you go first? "
我们在看什么?
WILL: What are we looking at?
基本上 这里对所有动物来说 都是主要的障碍
Uh, basically, this is the main barrier that the animals have to go over
它们必须横越这里 才能抵达马拉草原
to get up to the big grasslands of the Mara,
在这个季节 那里可以提供很丰盛的粮食
where the really good vegetation is for them at this time of year.
这些记号♥代表什么?
So, what. . . what are all of these marks?
这些是渡河的点 我们将它们记录下来
REMTULLA: Uh, those are the crossing points, so we mark it.
沿着整条河
Like, it's along the river,
每当它们出现在某处 我们就会记录下来
so whenever they cross, we just put the mark,
这样我们就能掌握 渡河点二 三或是四
so we know like, crossing number two, number three, number four.
它们好像特别喜欢某些渡河点
GEORGE: They seem to have a few favorite places.
如果它们有惯用的渡河点 为什么捕捉它们渡河会这么难?
But if they cross at regular spots, why is it so hard to catch a crossing?
因为不知道它们会选哪一个
There's no way to know which one they're going to choose.
好的
Ah, okay.
多达数万只的一群动物
Conglomeration of thousands of animals,
去年很可能在不同地点渡河
and they all might have crossed at a different place the year before,
所以它们必须仰赖集体决策
so they've gotta have like a group decision,
-集体移♥动♥的决策 哇
-like a swarm decision, WILL: Wow.
决定要往哪个方向
about which way to go.
我们可以埋伏在一个点 或是机动一点到处巡逻
We can either hold and wait in one spot, or we can get fidgety and patrol.
我们可以随时移♥动♥到 它们渡河的地方
If there was a crossing happening, we can go there,
但等我们抵达时可能已经结束
but by the time we get there, it might be over,
所以 你…
so it's like, do you. . .
会很难决定该去追寻渡河
It's hard to know whether you chase after crossings
还是等待渡河发生
or do you wait for a crossing to come to you.
了解
Got it.
到底要多久
So, how long will it take for me to get comfortable
我才能习惯 不去挥走脸上的苍蝇?
just letting a fly be on my face without having to swat it?
你脸上就有两只 但你完全不在乎
'Cause you got two flies on your face and you're just relaxed.
-我没办法 我懒得挥了
-I'm like, man. I just get tired of swatting at them.
真的吗?
Oh, yeah?
-草原…真正的草原男人 天啊
-Bush. . . Really bush man. Yeah. . . Oh, man. . .
所以我们决定追还是等?
All right, so are we waiting or are we chasing?
我的直觉认为 我们应该找个好地方
My instinct is to find a really good place.
很多牛羚聚集的地方
We got a lot of animals over there. And if we're in wait, they'll come to us.
然后等待它们出现
-好的 对
-WILL: All right. Yeah.
所以我们要观察它们的方向 对吧?
So we sort of look where they're moving to, right?
没错 它们正往河边去 你看 有一群在那边
Yeah, they're coming to the river. And see, the herd is down here.
没错
WILL: Yeah.
-它们越跑越快了 试图用跑的
-They're moving faster, yeah. GEORGE: Trying to run there. . .
这些家伙要渡河了吗?
GEORGE: Are these guys about to cross?
我不敢相信我们如此幸运
I can't believe how lucky we're about to get.
永远不要低估菜鸟的运气
WILL: Never underestimate the power of beginner's luck.
乔治想拍这个画面好多年了
I mean, George has been trying to get this shot for years,
我才来两分钟就看到了
and I'm here two minutes and it's all happening.
你知道的
I'm just saying.
去吧 乔治 这是属于你的时刻
Go, George. This is your big moment.
那只牛羚自己冲了
He's going on his own.
我不敢看这个
Oh, I can't watch this.
天啊
Oh, man.
它们怎么让它自己走?
Why did they let him go alone?
看来集体移♥动♥有第四条规则
Looks like there's a fourth swarm rule.
别去有鳄鱼的地方
Don't go where there's crocs.
如果我看我的同伴被鳄鱼咬死
If I saw one of my boys get wacked by a crocodile,
我绝对会犹豫该不该渡河
I'd have second thoughts about crossing that river too.
看来它们的动线 也正在从这里撤离
Looks like the momentum now is moving away from this point.
之前它们是往这里移♥动♥
Where it was moving toward this point before,
现在感觉它们正缓慢地离开
now it feels like it's kind of gently drifting away.
很明显地 一只孤勇的牛羚
Clearly, one brave dude jumping into the water
无法说服其他伙伴一同渡河
is not enough to make them all start crossing.
到底何时它们才会勇往直前?
So, what will it take?
为了深入了解 我们需要潜入水中
To best explain that, we need to go underwater.
所罗门群岛
潜水员 吉儿凯莉
它们确实很美妙
JILL: They are truly amazing.
我第一次接触它们
The first time I ever saw them,
就永生难忘
certainly something that you'll never forget.
手电筒鱼很奇怪
WILL: Flashlight fish are weird.
它们的脸颊会发光 彷佛在说“我在这 跟着我来”
They make their cheeks light up like, "I'm here, follow me! "
但就像那只可怜的牛羚
But just like that poor wildebeest,
一条发光的鱼 无法说服其他伙伴同行
one fish signaling isn't enough to make the others follow.
两条或三条都没办法
Neither is two or three.
除非有一定数量的鱼同时发光
But if enough of them flash at the same time,
照往同一个方向
in the same direction. . .
它们才会全体出动
. . . they all go.
它们并不追随单一个体 而是一个够庞大的组织
It's not about one animal taking the lead. It's about enough of them doing it.
如此一来 它们才会全力移♥动♥
Then the swarm behavior kicks in strong.
所以数量决定一切
So this is a numbers game.
牛羚最有可能渡河的地方
The place where the wildebeest are most likely to cross
就是最大群牛羚聚集的地方
is the place where the biggest numbers are gathering.
该如何找出这个点?
But how do you find that?
你需要一架没有门的小飞机 和一名疯狂的副机师
Well, with a plane with the doors off, and a crazy co-pilot.
区域航♥空♥