我要坦白一件事
WILL: I've got a confession to make.
我从来没在湖里游过泳
I've never swum in a lake.
从来没爬过山
Never climbed a mountain.
我进过洞穴 一次
I was in a cave once.
我从来没在帐篷里睡过觉
And I've never slept in a tent.
但是我开始感觉 自己可能错过了一些东西
But I'm beginning to think that I might be missing something.
所以 我联♥系♥了几位现代探险家
So, I hooked up with some modern-day explorers
我让他们带我去世界的尽头
and I asked them to take me to the ends of the Earth.
他们说 “我们能去更远的地方”
And they said, "Oh, we can go further than that. "
《带您探索地球》
南太平洋 坦纳
话说 我51岁了 却从没爬过山
So, I'm 51, and I haven't done any climbing whatsoever.
我一直有一个不为人知的幻想 我想登顶珠穆朗玛峰
And I've. . . I've always had this secret fantasy
that I wanted to summit Everest.
-我… 我想我们的年纪差不多吧
-Wh. . . ERIK: I think we're the same age, almost.
-是的 我9月25日出生 对 我是23日
-Yeah, I'm, uh, September 25th. Yeah, no, I'm the 23rd.
-真的吗? 是的
-Really? ERIK: Yeah.
我比你多了两天的人生智慧
I have two days more of wisdom. . . ERIK: . . . in my life.
我成功的机会大吗? 或者说…这是属于年轻人的活动?
WILL: What are my chances? Or. . . Or is that like a young man's game?
不 不是 我觉得你绝对能做到
ERIK: No, no, I think you could totally do it.
我在2001年攀登了珠穆朗玛峰
I climbed Everest in 2001.
我攀登了世界各地一些美丽的高山
I've gotten to climb some beautiful mountains around the world.
去过了各大洲最高的山脉 所以…
Been to the tallest mountain on every continent, so. . .
-哇 是的
-Wow. Yeah.
杰克逊 那座火山叫什么名字?
So, Jackson, what's the name of the volcano?
-亚苏尔 亚苏尔
-Yasur. Yasur.
-亚苏尔 亚苏尔 是什么意思?
-Yasur. Yasur, what does that mean?
比我们更大的人
Someone bigger than us.
就像上帝比我们更大一样 所以 它更大
It's like, um, God to us. So, it's bigger.
所以我们现在有可能 正开车前往一座即将爆发的火山
So, we could be driving up there right now to a volcano that's about to erupt.
对
Right.
所以 我们确实会看到沸腾的熔岩
So, we're actually gonna see boiling lava.
-是的 好的
-Yeah. Yeah. Okay.
-我们正在进入火山灰地带 是的
-ERIK: So, we are entering the ash fields? JACKSON: Yes.
-所以是什么样的?没有植被而且… 是的
-So what? Vegetation is ending and. . . WILL: Yup.
是的 我们进入了火山灰区域?
Right, we're getting into the ash?
我可以听到它打在挡风玻璃上的声音
And I can hear it hitting the. . . the windshield.
是的
ERIK: Yeah.
这很吓人
WILL: This is scary.
-我可以向你保证你会能活着回来 好吧
-I almost guarantee you're gonna survive. All right.
和亚苏尔火山面对面
WILL: Face-to-face with Mount Yasur.
这是地球上最活跃的火山之一
One of the most active volcanoes on Earth.
但埃里克之所以认为我的好奇心 会比害怕更强烈还有一个原因
But there's another reason why Erik thinks I'll be more curious than scared.
首先 有史以来最大的声音 是由一座火山发出的
For one, the loudest sound ever recorded was made by a volcano.
但是这座火山发出的巨大声响 却是静寂无声的
But the loud sound that this volcano makes is completely silent.
是的 我知道 我也不明白
Yeah, I know. I don't understand it either.
埃里克·韦亨麦尔 探险家 登山者
你听到了吗?
-ERIK: Did you just hear it? WILL: What?
-什么?没听到 刚才有什么声音吗? 是的
-Oh, no, there was a sound? Oh, damn it. ERIK: Yeah.
该死
一直回响到这里
ERIK: It echoed all the way across up there.
埃里克显然听到了 但他听到什么了?
WILL: Erik is clearly listening. But to what?
无声的咆哮
-我开始出汗了 是的
-ERIK: I'm officially sweating. WILL: Yeah.
你一定在开玩笑吧
WILL: You gotta be kidding me.
对吗?
-Right? ERIK: Yeah.
是的
站在火山边缘没事吧 你觉得呢?
-WILL: Is the edge okay, you think? ERIK: You tell me.
你说呢?
太不可思议了
That's crazy.
就好像在窥视地狱之门
WILL: Like looking into the gates of Hell.
你可以听到压缩的像撞击墙壁的声音
ERIK: You can hear the sound like compressing, like hitting the walls. . .
-是的 在下面 就像那个声音
-WILL: Yeah. ERIK: . . . down there. Like that!
现在有点暗了 是的 所以这…
And it's kinda dark right now, right, so it's. . .
-是的 真的很亮
-Yeah. It's really lit up. WILL: Mm-hmm.
你似乎忘了埃里克完全失明了
You just kind of forget that Erik is completely blind.
我是说这是一个 攀登过珠穆朗玛峰的人
I mean, this a man who climbed Everest.
他刚刚徒步走上这座火山 脚都没绊到过一次
Who just hiked this volcano without a single stumble.
开车过来的路上 他甚至能区分景观何时发生变化
Who could even tell when the landscape changed on the drive over.
你…你会不知不觉忘记 直到他叫你描述给他听
You. . . You just kind of forget until he asks you to describe it to him.
是什么颜色的?橙红色?
And it's what colors, orange?
就好像橙红色的烟花从地里射出来
It's like orange fireworks shooting out of the ground.
是嘛
Uh-huh.
无法看到这个景象 会不会让你产生什么情绪?
Do you have any emotion around. . . not being able to see it?
你知道…
You know. . .
我失明以后 曾经有一段时间
when I went blind, there was a time where you sort of regret
感觉遗憾 以及诸如此类的情绪 但是…
and stuff like that, but. . .
最后 我想我认识到自己应该
eventually, I think I learned that you gotta sort of
告别失明前的生活
-say goodbye to that sighted life. Mm-hmm.
然后接受一种新的生活
And kinda take on a new life and, you know,
你身体的一部分死去了 一部分因此重生了
part of you dies, a part of you is reborn.
闭上眼睛 你听到什么?
ERIK: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
所以这声音跟大海的声音非常相似 就好像波浪拍击…
So, it's really similar to the ocean. It's like waves crashing.
-潮涌潮退 还有… 对 没错
-Comes in and goes out and. . . Yeah. Totally.
在亚苏尔火山上 有这样一个声音频谱
ERIK: On Yasur, there's such a spectrum of sound.
有一种声音 你无需留心就能听到
There's this sound that you can consciously hear.
但是我开始感受到那个更深沉的声音
ERIK: But I'm beginning to feel this deeper sound.
听得不是很清楚
ERIK: You can't quite hear it.
但是你知道声音就来自你的脚下
But you kind of just know it's happening beneath you.
我和埃里克并不是唯一 正在寻找隐秘声音世界的人
WILL: Erik and I aren't the only ones looking for a hidden world of sound.
有新的一批探险家正前往世界尽头
There's a new breed of explorers going to the ends of the Earth
试图发现存在于 我们感知之外的隐秘世界
in an attempt to discover the hidden worlds
that sit beyond our senses.
他们中有些人奔赴更遥远的地方 比我更具胆量
And some of them are taking it way, way further than I would ever dare.
北纬37. 9333度 西经25. 4833度
中大西洋某处
蒂娃·阿蒙 探险家 海洋生物学家
蒂娃·阿蒙近距离研究 地球上声音最大的动物
WILL: Diva Amon studies the loudest animal on the planet up close.
但是如此近距离 需要某些非常特别的技巧
But getting that near requires some pretty special skills.
你想听大海的声音就必须自♥由♥潜水
DIVA: When you want to listen to the sounds of the ocean,
you have to free dive.
没有氧气罐 安静多了
Without any oxygen tanks, it's so much quieter.
而且你不会呼出大量的气泡 气泡可能会把动物吓跑
And you don't exhale loads of bubbles, which can scare the animals off.
但你只能在水下待一口气的时间
But you can only stay under for as long as you can hold one breath.
通常你不会认为咔嗒声是噪音
DIVA: You don't normally think of clicks as noisy.
而这些咔嗒声比电锯还响
These ones, they're louder than a chainsaw.
这正是抹香鲸有趣的地方
DIVA: That's what makes sperm whales so interesting.
它们就是这么说话的
DIVA: It's their way of talking.
每一个咔嗒声包含了整段的信息
And each click contains whole paragraphs of information.
这些咔嗒声非常响
DIVA: The clicks are so loud
它们能够在海里传播几百里远
that they can carry across hundreds of miles of ocean.
抹香鲸还利用这些声音进行回声定位
DIVA: They can also use their clicks to echolocate. . .
或者扫描未知物体
or to scan unknown objects.
比如我
Like me.
这些声音是如此强大 你可以感觉到它震动并穿过你的身体
DIVA: The noise is so powerful. . . you can feel it pulse right through you.
天啊
FEMALE VOICE 1: Oh, my God, it was amazing! I actually felt that!
太神奇了 我真的感受到了!
你能感受到吗?
Could you feel them?
我真的感受到了我身体里的声呐信♥号♥♥
-简直… 太神奇了!
-FEMALE VOICE 1: It's just. . . FEMALE VOICE 2: Crazy!
你不是单单用这个听到声音
You don't just pick up sound with these. You can also pick it up here.
你还可以用这里听到
但如果我要通过我的身体来感受声音
But if I'm going to experience sound through my body,
那我就必须让我的身体离声音近一些
then I'm gonna have to get my body closer to the sound.
那就代表 离开这个火山口 到里面去
And that means stepping off the rim of this volcano and going in.
-你好 你好吗 兄弟?
-JEFFREY: Hello. WILL: What's up, man?
-我很好 很高兴见到你 好的 我很荣幸 兄弟
-I'm good. Real nice to meet you. All right, pleasure, man.
欢迎来到亚苏尔火山
Welcome to Yasur. Hey, Erik.
嘿 埃里克
-你好吗? 你好吗?好极了
-How're you doing? Awesome.
-你好吗? 很好
-How are you? Cool.
你应该是我遇到的第一个火山学家
WILL: I think you're my. . . my first volcanologist.
杰弗里·约翰逊 火山学家
JEFFREY: All right, cool.
好的 真不错 你以前去过哪座活火山吗?
So, uh, have you ever been to an active volcano before?
我没去过
WILL: I have not.
今天晚些时候 我们会下去 到火山口里去
Later on today, we're gonna be descending into the crater
然后我想让你帮我安装一些感应器
and then I'm. . . I'm gonna have you help me install some sensors.
我想我可以画一下示意图
Thought maybe I would draw this, uh. . . an illustration.
用棍子在火山灰上画