WILL: And that's the thing. No one knew. This is brand-new science.
此时此刻 科学家们正拿着紫外线灯
As we speak, scientists are wandering randomly around
随意四下走动 想看看其他动物
with UV flashlights trying to see what other animals
可能拥有的隐秘的力量
might have this hidden power.
你第一次看到这样的情景 你一定会觉得自己
When you first saw this, you must've thought you were, like,
出现幻觉什么的
hallucinating or something.
我都怀疑自己神志不清醒 是的
-My sanity was questioned, yes. GEORGE: Not the first time.
不是第一次
谁曾想动物们在我们的后院里 用我们看不到的光
WILL: Who knew that animals were putting on a secret light show
-in our own backyards. . .
上演了一场秘密的灯光秀? 太奇妙了
. . . using colors that we can't see?
WILL: Amazing.
我们要寻找的东西 并不需要特殊的灯光
What we're looking for doesn't need special lights.
但是如果把灯都灭掉 我们还能看到什么呢?
But what is left to see when all light is gone?
从这里开始 我们可能就要进入午夜区了
DIVA: This is where we're probably beginning to go into the midnight zone.
没有光线
No light.
要到达午夜区 必须下潜到很深的地方
WILL: To get to the midnight zone, you need to go deep.
非常深
Really deep.
接近这个潜水器所能承受的极限
Close to the limits of what this sub can handle.
所以 随着潜水器继续下潜
DIVA: So, as the sub is going deeper,
最让人不安的是它所发出的声音
the most unnerving thing is the noises it makes. This, like, horrible creaking.
是一种可怕的吱吱声
那是潜水器和海洋之间的较量
And that's the battle between the sub and the ocean.
如果你停下来认真想想 唯一在保护你的东西
And it's completely terrifying if you stop for a second
只是厚度约15厘米的塑料
and think about the fact that the only thing protecting you
你会觉得很可怕
is about six inches of plastic.
托比 我要开始放慢速度了
MAN: Toby, I'm gonna start slowing down now.
纳迪尔 控制台 收到
-TOBY: Nadir, control, roger. MAN: Here we go.
到了
我们到底了
WILL: Oh. We're at the bottom.
离海床大约8厘米
MAN: That's about three inches from the seabed.
休斯顿 即将着陆 预备标志灯
WILL: Coming in to land, Houston. Contact light.
我一直很想这么说 但是一直找不到由头
WILL: I always wanted to say that. I just never really had a reason.
我喜欢这个环节 你看到海床
I love this part, when you see the seafloor
在一片深邃中隐隐浮现
just loom out of the depths at you.
认真想想的话 你会觉得这一切很不真实
It's so surreal when you think about it.
我们就在这里 在海面之下一千米
We're here, a kilometer below the ocean surface.
对你个人来说 你的生活目标是什么?
WILL: Personally, for you, what is your life's goal,
对你所从事的事 你怀有什么样的希望?
your hope for what you're doing?
-因为我来自一个发展中国家… 是的
DIVA: 'Cause I'm from a developing country. . .
我们国家还负担不起 探索我们的大部分海域的费用
-WILL: Yeah. . . . we, as a nation,
can't afford to explore the majority of our area.
-哇 特立尼达岛的领土
-WILL: Wow, wow, wow, wow. Like, 90-something-percent
大约百分之九十多是深海 我们不知道那里有什么
of Trinidad's area is deep ocean.
因为我们缺少专业人士 我是唯一的一个
And we have no idea what's. . . what's there because we don't have the expertise. I'm the only one.
所以 我的工作有很大一部分 就是为了改变这一点
So, a big part of my work is trying to change that.
到目前为止 我大概参加了16次探险 基本上没有像我这样的人参与
I've been on, like, 16 expeditions now, and there is hardly ever anyone
不管是女性还是有色人种
that looks like me, whether it's a woman, a person of color,
还是来自发展中国家 我想要改变这一点
or a person from a developing country.
没错
-And I want that to change. WILL: Absolutely. DIVA: So, that's a big part of why I do what I do.
这就是我为什么从事这项工作的原因
我明白 这很了不起
WILL: Got it. That's cool.
我们在潜水器里 身处1005. 8米的大洋深处
Inside the sub at 3, 300 feet.
我们在大洋深处 各位 我们在大洋深处
-We down here. We down here, y'all. We down here.
这么说吧 我现在深受鼓舞 我真想出去散散步
Let's just say, I got really, really inspired,
你可能只能坚持半秒钟
and I just wanted to take a walk. -MAN: Probably last about half a second.
-而且一定会丧命 是的
-DIVA: And we would die in the process. WILL: Yeah.
那我就不那么做了
I probably won't do that then.
我经常想 “这真是一种好死法 真是一个精彩的故事”
DIVA: I always think, "What a great way to go.
精彩的故事是由你本人来讲述的故事
"What a great story. " WILL: A great story is one that you get to tell.
-别人… 是的 没错
-Somebody else. . . MAN: Right, yeah.
如果必须由别人来讲的话 “是啊 兄弟 那天我在场”
If somebody else has to tell it, "Yeah, man, I was there that day, "
这就没那么动人了
it's like a less great story.
如果这下面的压力这么大 你不禁会想
WILL: If the pressure is that extreme,
“什么样的生物能生活在这里?”
you've gotta wonder, "What kinda creature could live down here? "
因为在海洋表面 探险家们发现了
Because even back on the surface, explorers are finding
一些隐藏在黑暗中的很奇特的生命体
some crazy, strange lifeforms hiding in the dark.
斯洛文尼亚 喀斯特高原
一位宇航员在漆黑一片的
ALEXANDER: What is an astronaut doing in a cave. . .
距离地表300米的洞穴里做什么?
300 meters below the earth's surface in utter darkness?
进入洞穴与进入太空 其实非常非常相似
Going into a cave is very, very similar to actually going to space.
亚历山大·格斯特 宇航员
你看不见颜色 随之也失去了色感
You lose colors, and then you lose the concept of colors.
如果你环顾四周 大多数生活在这里的生物
If you look around, most creatures that live down here
都是白色或者透明的
are white or transparent.
它们已经适应了生活在洞穴里
They have adapted to living in a cave,
所以 它们去除了颜色 它们甚至完全去除了眼睛
so they got rid of colors, they got rid of eyes, even, totally.
这些生物 它们甚至看不见东西
These creatures, they don't even see.
洞螈看起来 就是宇航员可能发现的生物
WILL: An olm looks like the kind of creature
an astronaut might find.
它有奇怪的肉质皮肤
That weird, fleshy skin.
人们把洞螈称为“人鱼”
They call olms the human fish.
一种每十年进食一次的“外星生物”
An alien that only needs to eat every ten years.
这其实也是因为它们移♥动♥太缓慢 无法捕捉到太多食物
Which is just as well because they move too slowly to catch much.
这个物种已经在黑暗中 隐藏了超过两千万年
A species that has been hidden away in the dark
for over 20 million years.
如果他们在几百米深的洞穴里 发现了那样的生物
WILL: If they found that thing in a cave just a few hundred feet down,
我们在一千米的大洋深处 会发现什么?
what the hell are we gonna find at 3, 000 feet below the sea?
控制台 纳迪尔 深度1000米 完毕
MAN: Control. Control. Nadir. Depth, 1, 000 meters. Over.
那是什么?
What was that?
只有一个办法能弄清楚
DIVA: There's only one way to find out.
是的 我们经常用的那一招
MAN: Yes. And there's a trick we play.
好的
WILL: Okay.
现在怎么办?
Uh, what now?
现在我们看看外面有什么
DIVA: Now, we'll see what's out there.
现在 闭上眼睛 好的 一 二 三
MAN: So, shut your eyes. Okay. One, two, three.
睁开眼睛
MAN: Eyes open.
什么都没有
WILL: Like, nothin'.
再试一次 我们把灯打开 好的 闭眼
MAN: Try it again. Let's turn on the flash. Okay, eyes shut.
一 二 三 开灯
-One, two, three. Lights on.
关灯 睁眼
MAN: Lights off. Eyes open.
-哇! 天啊
-DIVA: Wow! Wow! WILL: Woah! DIVA: Oh, my God!
哇
-WILL: Oh! DIVA: Wow!
-哇 我的天啊
-WILL: Wow! Whoa! DIVA: Oh, my God.
我简直不敢相信 瞧瞧
WILL: You have got to be kidding me. Look at that.
就好像《第三类接触》里的场景
WILL: It's like Close Encounters.
你知道吗?
-You know?
好吧 蒂娃 那是什么?
WILL: So, Diva, what is it?
这就是我们来这里要看的东西
DIVA: Well, this is what we're here to see.
一个只有在完全黑暗中 才能看到的隐秘的世界
A hidden world you can only see in total darkness.
不 我知道 但是 从科学的角度看 它究竟是什么?
WILL: No, no, I know. But, like, act. . . actually, scientifically, what is it?
是生物发光现象 威尔
DIVA: It's bioluminescence, Will.
这是一个利用水中的氧气 来创造光的化学反应
It's a chemical reaction using oxygen in the water to create light.
但好好看看
But just look at it.
所以它们在制♥造♥自己的光
WILL: So, they're making their own light.
没错 它们利用那些光来交流
DIVA: Exactly. And they use that light to communicate.
它们在跟我们交流 是吗?
-They are communicating with us, right? WILL: Mm-hmm.
-就好像在说 “妈妈!” 这就像《阿凡达》 是的
-Like, "Mother! Mother! " DIVA: It's like Avatar. Yeah.
或者 “喂 哥们 不要把光往我的脸上照”
WILL: Or, "Yo, man, get them damn lights out my face. "
或者 “我想跟你交♥配♥吗?”
DIVA: Or they're like, "Do I wanna mate with you? "
我知道 是的
-I know, yeah.
有一整套语言 我之前甚至不知道它的存在
WILL: There's like this whole language I never even knew existed.
在地球上所有可供动物生存的空间中
Of all the space on the planet in which animals can live. . .
超过99%的空间都在海洋中
over 99 percent of it is in the oceans.
而在这个巨大的空间内 将近80%的动物
And within that huge space, nearly 80 percent of animals
以某种方式使用生物发光
-use bioluminescence in some way. Wow!
哇!
因此 实际上 生物发光可能是地球上
And so, actually, bioluminescence may be one of the most common forms
最常见的交流形式之一
of communication on the planet.
这真是令人震惊
-WILL: That is mind-blowing.
我居然不知道 这个世界上存在这样的现象?
WILL: How did I not know that this was in the world?
回到海面
MAN: Back to the surface.
控制台 纳迪尔
Control. Control. Nadir.
超过400米 上升中 完毕
Passing 400 meters, ascending. Over.
哇
Wow!
太不可思议了
WILL: That's crazy.
太喜欢了