at more than a thousand miles an hour.
它可以击晕鲱鱼 使它们昏迷
And it stuns the herring, -knocking them out cold. . .
于是虎鲸就能拿它们大快朵颐了
DWAYNE: . . . so the orca can just scoop them up.
真是绝妙
DWAYNE: Genius.
但拥有速度的不仅是动物
WILL: Speed isn't just about the animals though.
水本身也在以我们看不见的方式运动
The water itself is working in ways we can't see.
甚至是在沙漠里 阿尔伯特也找到了办法向我展示
And even in a desert, Albert's found a way to show me how.
这可真是出乎了我的意料
Now, that is something I was not expecting.
瞧瞧啊
ALBERT: Look at that!
这是非洲鳄鱼数量最多的河流之一
That's one of the most crocodile-infested rivers in Africa.
据说平均每周会有三个人 被这条河里的鳄鱼咬伤
They say there's three people a week who get bit by a crocodile on this river.
那我们就别掺和进去了
Let's not add to that.
问题是 要看到我想看的东西
ALBERT: And the thing is,
我必须要获得完美的摄影机角度
to see what I want to see, I have to get the perfect camera angle.
这就意味着威尔和我必须到河对面去
Which means that Will and I have to get to the other side of that river.
这里有桥什么的吗?
WILL: So is there a bridge or something?
-我有一架无人机 好吧
-ALBERT: I got a little drone. All right.
没准我可以牵一条绳子到对岸去
ALBERT: Maybe I can fly a line out to the other side,
绕到对面的大树上 这样我们就能过河了
around one of those big trees, and we can get across onto the other side
看看能不能拍到更多瀑布 你想过去吗?
and see if we can see more of the falls. Do you wanna to do that?
我希望你能做到 因为我自己连用遥控器
Well, I hope you can do that, 'cause I have a hard time
在电视上选择正确的频道都有困难
getting my remote to put the right stuff on the TV I want.
如果你能用无人机牵绳子 那我支持你
So, if you can fly a drone with a line, I'm with you.
应该没问题
That should probably do it.
-是的 准备好了吗? 是的
-Yeah. Are you ready? WILL: Yeah.
-小心螺旋桨 好的
-Watch out for the rotors. WILL: Yeah.
好的 我要开始了
ALBERT: Okay, I'm gonna go.
办法是先绕一条轻绳到对岸的树上
The idea is to fly the light line around the tree on the other side.
再用这根绳子牵引 我们渡河用的较重的登山绳
And then we'll use that line to pull a heavy climbing rope across.
你做的这事很有百战天龙的风格 下来了
That's some MacGyver vibes you got going. Coming down.
降落中 干得好
ALBERT: Landing.
我喜欢
-Good job. WILL: Love that.
现在我们把绳子捆到这上边 拉一圈回来 我就能过河了
ALBERT: Now we'll tie the line around this, pull it around. I'll go across.
希望我不会掉下去 然后就能拉你过河了
Hopefully, I won't fall.
And then pull you across.
因为这基本上没有出错的余地
'Cause there's really, like, no room for error here.
你让我好紧张
You got me nervous.
好了
All right.
-还行吗?有什么东西在晃悠吗? 就只有你
-Looks good? Anything dangling? Just you.
准备好了?
-我们对面见 好的
-ALBERT: Ready? See you on the other side. ALBERT: Yeah.
我不打算撒谎
WILL: I am not gonna lie.
我有时会忘记阿尔伯特的腿 因为他的行动如此自如
I sometimes forget about Albert's leg, he just moves so well.
因为 他的假腿当然也一样高科技
'Cause, of course, his prosthetic leg is as high-tech
跟他的所有东西一样
as everything else about him.
干得好
-There you go. ALBERT: Made it.
成功了
-你有护着我吗? 护着呢
-You got me? ALBERT: I got you.
再远一点 继续前进
Little further. Keep going.
朝下看!
ALBERT: Look down!
好啊!
Yeah!
嘿
Hey.
这就是真人测试啊
Oh, that's a man-tester.
老天
-Jeez. ALBERT: You glad we did it?
我们成功了 你高兴吗?
是的 成功之后你总是会很高兴
WILL: Oh, yeah. You're always happy you did it afterwards.
拍电影时 我的替身会替我来做
In a movie, my stuntman would've did that.
这里可没有替身
-ALBERT: No stuntman here. ALBERT: No stuntman here.
老实说 阿尔伯特可不需要替身
WILL: Truth be told, Albert doesn't need a stuntman.
我的好哥们可以从容应对这一切
My man here just takes it all in his stride.
祝他一帆风顺
And more power to him.
因为我本以为失去一条腿 会阻止他前进的脚步
'Cause you'd have thought losing a leg would've stopped him in his tracks.
当你回顾一个时刻 并且意识到它有多么重要
It's incredible when you can look back at a single moment
这真是不可思议
and realize just how important it was.
我当时搭着一位朋友的车
I was riding along with a friend in a vehicle. . .
然后一瞬间 一切都开始变慢
and then in an instant, everything begins to slow down,
所有现实都似乎在改变 砰
all reality seemed to shift.
Boom!
我在一场车祸中失去了一条腿
I lost my leg in that car accident.
但科技使我能够定义自己的极限
But technology has helped me be able to define my own limitations.
奇怪的是 我不觉得
You know, strangely, I don't actually feel like
我失去了什么 我反而觉得获得了什么
I've lost anything, I actually feel like I've gained.
这改变了我
It transformed who I am.
并且让我洞察了原本看不到的现实
It gave me insights into a reality that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.
好了 我们就在这里把摄影机架起来
ALBERT: Okay. -Let's build the camera rig right here. WILL: Whoo!
你的高科技装备真多
You got a lot of high-tech gear.
因为我们要拍摄一些非常极限的速度
ALBERT: Well, we're trying to capture some pretty extreme speeds.
可别忘了我们来这里的目的 我们要试图看到隐形的东西
Let's not forget what we're up to here. We're trying to see the invisible.
-画面如何? 美极了
-ALBERT: How's the image? WILL: It's gorgeous.
太好了 随时都可以开始
ALBERT: Great, ready when you are.
开拍
Action.
放大并且减速
ALBERT: Close up and slowed down. . .
你就能看到瀑布的真实形态
you see the waterfall for what it really is.
数百万微小的爆♥炸♥
ALBERT: Millions. . .
of tiny explosions.
再放大一些 你可以看到 每一滴水滴都在持续改变形状
Watch even closer, and you see that each droplet is constantly changing shape.
最大的水滴变成了降落伞 然后又炸开
The biggest ones turn into parachutes and then blow apart.
现在让我们改变速度 拍摄整个瀑布 但改用延时摄影
Okay, now let's change speed
and look at the whole waterfall, but in time-lapse.
哇
WILL: Wow, that's beautiful. It's totally different.
真漂亮 完全不一样了
瞧瞧那些沟壑啊!
ALBERT: Just look at those ravines!
所有那些微小的爆♥炸♥都被完全抹平了
WILL: All of those tiny explosions have completely smoothed out.
当你像这样看着瀑布时
When you look at it like that. . .
几乎可以明显看出水流在侵蚀石头
it almost is obvious that the water is sawing the rocks away.
对吧?当你这样看的时候
Right? When you look at it like that.
“是的 显而易见 水流在切割石头”
It's like, "Oh, yeah. Obviously, that's cutting the rock. "
在这种速度下 我们甚至可以看到 地球表面是如何变化的
At this speed, we are literally seeing how the face of the Earth changes.
这是它的另一种完全不同的体验
It's a completely different experience of it.
我们的疯狂旅程还有最后一站
There's one more stop on this crazy trip.
我们要去看一种甚至连 阿尔伯特的摄影机都无法揭示的东西
To see something even Albert's cameras can't reveal.
但显然 我们得要跳进
But apparently, we can only get there
地面上的一个大洞才能到达那里
by leaping into a giant hole in the ground.
因为 我们当然会这么做
Because of course we do.
下来了
Coming down.
哇
WILL: Wow.
真是疯狂
This is crazy.
真是巨大
It's huge.
所以 看起来有一个洞通到那后面
So, it's like there's a cave that goes around back there,
还有另一个通到那后面
and a cave that goes back there.
在我们赶来这里的这几个小时里
In all of the hours it took us to get here,
我完全没有想到这里居然有
not for one moment did it look like there was anywhere
可以做水肺潜水的地方
that you could go scuba diving.
就是想让你看看
ALBERT: Just goes to show you.
根据这里的情况 你能判断水下或许有什么吗?
Can you tell anything about what might be under the water based on what's out here?
我想只有一个办法能搞清楚
Well, I think there's only one way to find out.
那就是下水 对吧?
And that's by going in, right?
我觉得我们可以从这里下去 或许从这里进去?
I bet we can get down around here and maybe enter in over here?
我不是太确定阿尔伯特 是怎么让我同意做这事的
WILL: I'm not entirely sure how Albert gets me to agree to this stuff.
他说 “相信我 威尔 这不危险”
He's like, "Trust me, Will. Trust me. This isn't dangerous. "
-你感觉还好吗? 是的
Mm-hmm. -ALBERT: You feel good? Yeah. Just pop down and pop up.
下去一下就上来
好的 准备好了?
ALBERT: Okay. Ready?
这是世界上最大的地下湖之一
ALBERT: This is one of the biggest underground lakes in the world.
至少有180米深
At least 600 feet deep.
这就是我们来这里的原因
And this is why we came here.
钟乳石 这个星球上生长最慢的东西之一
Stalactites. One of the slowest-growing things on the planet.
通过测量它 我们就能回溯时光
By measuring them, we can go back in time.
每一千年才能生长2. 5厘米
Each inch takes a thousand years to grow.
这就意味着 这一颗钟乳石
Meaning this one has been here
至少有15万年历史了
for more than 150, 000 years.
但这些钟乳石不仅仅是古老
But these stalactites, they're not just old.
它们还是时间胶囊
They're time capsules.
当钟乳石一滴一滴地成型时
As stalactites form, drip by drip. . .
空气和土壤的细小碎片 也会被包裹在其中
tiny fragments of air and soil get trapped inside.