-Using a stick in the ash. Mind using this pole, so that I can feel?
你介意用这根棍子吗? 这样我就能感觉到
-好的 我很乐意 好的 现在我就能感觉到你的动作
Um, yeah, love to do that. . . ERIK: All right, now I'll be able to feel you.
好极了 那就…
Great, um, so, right, um. . .
这是一个大火山口 我现在画的是火山口边缘的弧形
Well, this is a big crater, and I'm drawing an arc of the crater rim,
这是一个直径约300米 或1000英尺的火山口
which is about a 300-meter or a 1, 000-foot diameter crater.
而我们稍后要做的就是
-ERIK: Mm-hmm. And what we'll be doing later
通过三个独♥立♥的绳索系统 下降到火山口里去
is descending via three independent rope systems down into the crater,
但不是直接到下面去
but not all the way down.
我们要先下降到一个理想的 地点去安装设备
So that we can get down to an ideal location
to install this apparatus.
事实上 下面有一块平整的地区
Uh, in fact, there's a bench right down here, a flat area,
我觉得对安装感应器来说很理想
that I think is ideal for the installation of the sensors.
那么 有什么潜在的危险吗?
So what. . . what are the, uh, potential dangers?
我最当心的事是确保这些火山灰不会
The thing I am most careful about is making sure none of this ash
-被吹进你的眼睛里 明白
-gets blown into your eyes. WILL: Got it.
-那就是小玻璃片 对吗? 玻璃
-It's little pieces of glass, right? WILL: Glass.
对眼睛伤害很大
JEFFREY: Could really hurt your eyes.
所以随时备好护目镜、防毒面具
Uh, so, goggles, gas mask always at the ready.
WILL: Mm-hmm.
所以你是一个职业的火山学家
So, you're. . . you're. . . you're a volcanologist by trade.
所以你觉得到里面去轻松自在
So you feel comfortable going in there,
而且你会带你的学生 或者别的什么到火山口里去 对吗?
and you'd take your students or anything in there, right?
是的 我会带你进去
Yeah, I would take you in there.
-我没回答那个问题 我知道 是的 没错
-I didn't answer that question. I know, yeah, right.
-是的 但是… 天啊
-JEFFREY: Yeah, but. . . WILL: Oh, man.
感觉这是一个非常糟糕的笑话的开头
It sounds like the beginning of a really bad joke.
感觉就好像 好吧
It's like, okay, okay.
一个说唱歌♥手 一个盲人 和一个火山学家沿绳索滑进火山
A rapper, a blind man, and a volcanologist rappel down into a volcano.
但那就是我们要做的 帮助杰夫录下这座火山
But that's what we're gonna do. Help Jeff record the mystery sounds
发出的神秘声音
this volcano is making.
我之前看过你几次 你会打响指或者发出一个声音
WILL: I saw you a couple of times, and you'll, like, snap your fingers or make a sound.
是的 打响指 我会敲打我的拐杖
ERIK: Yeah, snap your fingers, I'll tap my cane,
或者有时候 人们会发出咔哒声
or sometimes, some people do a click.
声音越清晰越好
It's like. . . really like, the sharper the better.
你在进行回声定位?
-WILL: And you're. . . you're echolocating? ERIK: Yeah.
是的
那有用吗?
-WILL: And that works? ERIK: Yeah.
是的
在我上高一的前一周 我完全失明了
I went totally blind about a week before my freshman year in high school.
我还是个小男孩时 就被诊断患有称为青少年视网膜病变
I'd been diagnosed with this incredibly rare eye disease
这种极其罕见的眼疾
called "juvenile retinoschisis" as a young boy.
而在整个小学和初中阶段
And throughout elementary school and middle school,
我就看着世界在不断缩小
I just watched the world shrink away.
我苦苦挣扎了一段时间
I struggled for a while,
想着失去了视力 我就无法亲身经历很多事
thinking without sight I would be stuck on the sidelines of things.
但是听觉美好的地方在于
But the beauty of hearing is
你可以听到眼睛看不到的东西
that you can hear things that no eye could see.
眼前和身后的事你都能听得很清楚
You can hear behind you, uh, just as well as in front of you.
所以 是的 我的耳朵能看到各种各样
So, yeah, there's all kinds of things that I can see with my ears
你的眼睛所看不到的东西
that you may not be able to see with your eyes.
我猜想 这些石头 就是从火山里喷射出来 落在这里的
WILL: These rocks, I'm assuming, were fired out of the volcano and landed here.
是的 这是火山弹的绝佳例子
Yeah. This is a. . . This is a beautiful example of a spatter bomb.
-天啊 你知道它为什么是平的 对吧?
-WILL: Jeez. And, you know why it's flat, right?
-有点平 因为…它当时还没定型
-Flattish. Oh, because. . . So it was probably malleable.
-没错 然后它撞到地面开始 变扁了?
-Uh-huh. And then it hit and squashed down?
对
-That's right.
我猜那就是 正在我们头顶上喷射的东西?
ERIK: I'm guessing that's what's shooting above us right now?
是的 所以有喷发活动发生时 待在这里不安全
JEFFREY: Yeah, so, this is not a good place to be right now,
-刚才这一次动静很大 哇
-when there's elevated activity. Whoo! That seemed like a big one. Wow!
这些火山弹很大
Oh, whoa! Those spatter bombs are huge.
那一个喷得有多高?
-ERIK: How high did that one go? JEFFREY: Above our heads.
到我们头顶上
是的
WILL: Yeah.
很罕见的灾难性伤害
JEFFREY: The very rare potential for catastrophic harm
来自直接从火山口 直线向上喷发的火山弹
is a direct ballistic that goes from the vents straight shot up.
-是的 如果你在火山口边上俯身…
-WILL: Yeah. And if you're leaning over the edge. . .
往前倾…明白了 是的
Leaning over. . . Got it. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
那可能会很严重
-. . . that would be potentially really bad. Absolutely.
没错
直线喷射让你猝不及防
JEFFREY: You don't have any warning when it's a straight shot.
我们被告知 听到火山喷发的声音时
WILL: We were told that when you hear the sound of the volcano
应该立即转身并留心火山弹
to immediately turn and take your eyes to the spatter bombs
因为它们向上喷射时是熔岩 但下落时就成了大石块
because they go up as lava but they come down as massive rocks.
我心想 那埃里克怎么办?
And I'm thinking. . . Well, what about Erik?
对拥有视力的人来说
ERIK: With a sighted person,
当他们看到物体运动时 他们的视觉皮层会亮起来
their visual cortex lights up when they're seeing motion.
对我来说 当我听到物体运动时 我的视觉皮层会亮起来
For me, my visual cortex lights up when I'm hearing motion.
我在脑海里创造出一个画面 所以 我仍然能看见
ERIK: I create a picture in my mind. So I still see,
但这些都基于声音
but it's all based on sound.
有一个办法能让我们都看见声音
WILL: There is a way that we can all see sound.
但这个方法并不适合胆小的人
But it's not for the fainthearted.
好 不要这么多 只要一点点
走吧
-Vámonos.
两颗行星在撞击时都变成了熔岩
FEMALE VOICE: Both planets became molten on impact.
碎片被抛到太空里
FEMALE VOICE: Debris thrown out into space. . .
-保重 好的 再见
Sí, adios.
北纬20. 6345度 西经100. 766度
墨西哥 圣胡安德拉维加
WILL: Every February, the townspeople of San Juan de la Vega
每年2月份 圣胡安德拉维加的居民
参加应该是世界上最奇怪的节日之一
take part in what has to be one of the world's most bizarre festivals.
它看起来疯狂又危险 事实确实如此
WILL: It might seem crazy dangerous,
and it is.
这些剧烈的爆♥炸♥展示了 关于声音的一些关键信息
WILL: These violent explosions demonstrate something crucial about sound.
这解释了为什么即使你听不到
WILL: Something that explains why you can feel it
你却能感受到它
even if you can't hear it.
它能移♥动♥东西
It can move stuff.
声音不只是在空气中传播
WILL: Sound doesn't just travel through the air.
它引起了空气的移♥动♥
WILL: It causes movement of the air.
这些无形的力量甚至能把耳鼓震破
These invisible forces can even burst an eardrum.
因为声音是一种活动
Because sound is movement.
那就是埃里克在火山上感受到的
That is what Erik is feeling on our volcano.
在火山口下面 我有可能也将感受到
And down in the crater, it's just possible that I'll feel it too.
我们需要头盔 因为火山喷出石头之类的东西
Uh, and we need the helmet because the volcano spits rocks and stuff,
石头被抛射到空中 然后落下
and the rocks go up in the air, and then they come down.
它们会砸在你的头上
And they hit you in your head.
这头盔对这些大石块应该作用不大
-As if this helmet's gonna do something. . .
WILL: . . . for one of these big-ass rocks.
你也许会问我们到里面去做什么 答案就是
JEFFREY: You know, you might ask why we're going inside.
比起在火山口边沿 到火山口里面 我们更有可能
The answer is that we're getting the highest quality signals possible
获得最高质量的信♥号♥♥
if we go in the crater as opposed to up on the rim here.
真的 好烫啊
For real, that's hot.
现在我们马上就要下去了
WILL: Now that we're actually about to go down there,
我不禁想起几天前
I can't stop thinking, a few days ago without warning,
新西兰的一座火山突然喷发 22人丧生
a volcano erupted in New Zealand killing 22 people.
那座火山的喷发 是否跟这座火山有关系?
Now, does that volcano erupting mean anything about this one?
有遗言吗?
-JEFFREY: Any last words? Yeah, this is my action hero pose.
-这是我的动作英雄造型 是的
-埃里克 你准备好了吗? 是的 好了
JEFFREY: Yeah. JEFFREY: Erik, you ready? ERIK: Yes, I'm in.
-威尔 准备好了? 是的 先生
-JEFFREY: Will, ready? Yes, sir.
我也许疯了吧
I may have lost my mind.
这里有高温 有毒气体 玻璃 火山灰 天啊 连烟都来给你添乱
There's crazy heat, toxic gas, glass, ash. Hell, even the smoke is out to get you.
好了 抓好绳索
ERIK: All right, on rappel.
-好的 抓好绳索 各位 开始吧
-JEFFERY: All right, on rappel, guys. WILL: Let's do it.
你以前从没做过这种事吧?
JEFFREY: You've never done this before, huh?
真实的情境下没有过
WILL: Not for real.
-哇 这可是真实的
-WILL: Oh, wow. Yo. JEFFREY: This is for real.
哇
岩浆喷到火山口边沿上方了
WILL: Whoa! Hey, that's coming up over the rim.
是的
JEFFREY: Yeah.
我们快点做科学研究
WILL: Let's do the science quick.
天啊
ERIK: Oh, my God!
真是威力巨大
WILL: Oh, that's immense.
天啊 好吧 刚才那次动静最大了
Oh, my God! All right, that's the biggest one yet.
感觉到了吗?
-You feel that? ERIK: Hell, yeah.
当然
各位 我们尽快把这个东西排好
JEFFREY: Guys, um, let's get this array out as quickly as possible.
如果我们听到爆♥炸♥的巨响 一定要往火山口看
If we hear a big explosion, eyes towards the crater. . .