好
Yeah.
我们要尽可能小心
. . . and let's walk that out as carefully as you can.
威尔 你的身体感受到了吗?
JEFFREY: Will, did you feel that through your body?
是的 太厉害了
-Yeah, that's crazy. JEFFREY: Yeah.
-是的 就像…
It's like a, uh. . .
-我在听到声音之前先感受到了震动 是的 就好像一股冲击波
-I felt the vibration before the sound. Right, it's like a shock wave
-在你听到之前先冲击你 冲击波先…是的
-that hits you before you hear it. A shock wave before you. . . Yeah.
威尔 你开始理解我现在的感受了?
ERIK: Will, are you starting to understand what I'm feeling?
我理解
-WILL: I get it.
刚才那一次
The last one that went,
我的耳鼓在震动 但我没听到声音
my eardrum wobbled, but I didn't hear a sound.
-但我感受到了震动的压力 是的
-But I felt the pressure of the wobble. JEFFREY: Oh, yeah.
我一直感觉到那种震动 我也说不清
Yeah, I feel that wobble like all the time. I don't know.
-你此刻感觉到震动吗? 是的 我感觉到了
-Do. . . Do you feel that wobble right now? Yeah. Yeah, I feel it right now.
埃里克 我听不到你说的那个震动
Erik, I can't hear that wobble that you're discussing right now.
我对它不够敏感
I'm just not sensitive to it.
-但我相信你 是的
-But I believe you. Yeah.
因为装置显示的正是如此
Because this is what the device is telling us.
-对 我们把声音调大一点
-ERIK: Right. JEFFREY: And when we turn it up. . .
它正在把你感受到的震动 转化为能够听到的音调
JEFFREY: . . . this is generating audible tones from that wobble
that you're perceiving.
如果你能听到这个声音 那会像在凿岩机旁边一样吵
If you could hear this, it would be like you were next to a jackhammer.
-对 你不可能跟别人
-Right, right. JEFFREY: And you would not be able
进行交谈
to have a conversation.
你听到的是次声波
-What you're hearing is infrasound. Right.
对
说到低音
WILL: Talk about low. Infrasound is bass and then some.
次声波就是低音 还有其他的东西
所以 你感受到它的时候 你最好要注意了
So, when you feel it, you better pay attention.
什么?你说什么?
Huh? What did you say? Oh, we need to leave?
我们得走了?
好的 我听到了
-Okay, I heard you. I heard you. Infrasound just told you that?
次声波这么跟你说的?
次声波说我们必须离开这里
Infrasound said we need to get the hell out of here.
石头!
Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock!
你没事吧 埃里克?
You all right, Erik?
没事
ERIK: Yeah.
太神奇了
WILL: That's fantastic.
解读次声波可以帮助预测 像亚苏尔这样的火山何时会爆发
WILL: Decoding the infrasound could help predict
when volcanoes like Yasur will erupt.
但下面可能还有其他信息
But there might be other messages coming from down there.
声音能告诉我们
Sounds that could tell us something crucial about our world.
我们这个世界的重要信息
北纬59. 1483度 东经18. 0698度
瑞典 奥兰湖
这些滑冰的人在薄冰上滑冰 他们通过仔细倾听
WILL: Out on thin ice, these skaters only stay safe
确保自己的安全
by listening really carefully.
今天冰上传来动听的声音 詹妮
这种情况极其罕见 冰有时有点像地球的地壳
WILL: Extremely rarely, ice can behave a bit like the Earth's crust,
把最细微的声音
amplifying even the slightest noise
放大成为奇怪并让人始料不及的声音
into something weird and unexpected.
就像火山一样 这种声音可能代表它马上就要爆♥炸♥了
And just like the volcano might be signaling it's about to explode,
结冰的湖面能够警告我们冰有多薄
the sounds from a frozen lake can warn us how weak the ice is.
声调越高代表冰层越薄
Higher sounds mean thinner ice.
你觉得冰面撑得住吗?
是的 我觉得可以
发出这种声音并不需要大费周章
WILL: It doesn't take much to make the sound,
一丁点压力就能做到
just the tiniest bit of pressure can do it.
声音在固体表面传播得更快更远
Sound travels faster and much further through solid surfaces.
所以 现在你知道了 为什么在牛仔老电影里
So, now you know why in old cowboy movies,
人们把耳朵贴在地上 听远处骑马人的动静
folks put their ear to the ground when they wanted to hear distant riders.
有一组探险家把这个想法
That's the idea that one group of explorers
投入更深的实践
are taking a little bit further.
北纬46. 1565度 东经12. 0172度
意大利 多洛米蒂山
But first, they need to find somewhere with no sound at all.
但首先 他们必须 找到一个完全没有声音的地方
实现这一点可不容易
And it ain't easy to get to.
科里·理查德斯 探险家 摄影师
我们在想办法到达一个…
We are going to try to get to a place
迈克尔·安德雷 生物声学家
where we get the absolute silence for human beings.
没有人类声音的绝对寂静的地方
好的 好 我很期待
Ah, okay, cool. I'm excited.
好的 我们来到第一个关口
我们去另一边
然后我们就位
接着把袋子传过来
好
MICHEL: Okay.
好 我们下去
All right. Down we go.
地表下250米
拿着
-Get this. Thank you so much.
非常感谢
你还要吗?我可以装…
-Do you want some more? I can fill. Ah, sure, thank you.
好的 谢谢
这个声音是谁发出来的?
是的 是这一个
-因为现在它不再发出声音了 是的
我们现在所经历的这个现象 是我们的大脑不想让
The phenomenon that we experience here is that our brain doesn't want us
我们经历这种沉寂 但是如果你注意的话
to experience the silence. But if you pay attention,
如果我们保持安静 我们就能听到
if we. . . if we keep silence, then we still hear
水滴落的声音
the, uh, water dropping.
-好的 试试吧
-Okay. Just. . . Just try it.
这可能会是我们听到的最后声音
MICHEL: This is probably the last sound that we're gonna hear now.
直到我们到达那个 我们希望能找到绝对沉寂的地方
-EXPLORER: Uh-huh. Until we get to the place where we hope to find the virtual silence.
好的 那我们继续走?
EXPLORER: Okay. So, we keep going now?
-去更深的地方 好的 对 去更深的地方
-Just deeper. All right. Yes. Yeah. Going deeper.
地面下457米
看来我们找到了
It looks like we, uh. . . we found it.
哇
Wow!
嘿 各位 我们先安静一下
Hey, guys, let's. . . let's try to, uh, be quiet for a minute
看看这是不是我们
to see it's really something that we've perceived the. . .
一直在寻找的寂静无声
these quests of the silence,
然后我们也许就能把科技用上了
and then we can maybe deploy the technology.
寂静无声
There's nothing. There's nothing.
寂静无声
我想这是我有生以来第一次感受到
I think that's the first time in my life I've ever heard. . .
-寂静无声 寂静无声
-MICHEL: Nothing. Nothing.
自然而然 寂静无声
MICHEL: Naturally nothing.
-是的 对
-Yeah. Yeah.
-哇 是的 不错 很奇妙
-Wow! Yeah, nice and pretty amazing.
很沉重
-It's heavy. MICHEL: It's heavy, yeah, totally.
沉重 对 没错
这是一种沉重的感觉
It's like. . . It's a. . . It's a heavy sensation.
对
Yeah. So, this instrument what they will do. . .
所以这个仪器要做的
就是录下我们现在听不到的声音
is to record whatever we cannot hear now.
如果你想听到非常轻的声音
WILL: If you want to hear something really quiet,
比你的呼吸还要轻
quieter than your breathing, quieter than your heart beating,
比你的心跳声还要轻
那你要么只能停止那些活动
then you either have to stop those things
要么就去一个非常僻静的地方
or get the hell out of the way.
那样的话 你可能有机会听到
That way, you might just have a chance of hearing something
没有人听过的声音
no one's ever heard before.
来自大山深处的声音
WILL: Sounds from deep within the mountains.
事实上 人们认为这是
It's actually thought to be the sound
月球的引力在拉引山脉的声音
of the moon's gravity dragging the mountains.
月亮拉引海水产生潮汐
The moon pulls on the sea to create tides.
原来对陆地的作用是一样的
It turns out, it does the same to the land.
移♥动♥的不仅仅是山脉
And it's not just the mountains that are moving.
想象一下 你可以把纽约的声响层层剥离
Imagine you could peel away the sounds of New York City, one by one.
西48大街
最后 如果足够安静的话
WILL: Eventually, if you get quiet enough,
你应该也能发现那些 我们在多洛米蒂山录到的
you just might find those same deep, primal rhythms
深沉的原始韵律
recorded in the Dolomites.
因为月亮也在拉引城市
WILL: Because the moon moves cities too.
纽约上升和下降35. 56厘米
New York rises and falls up to 14 inches
每天两次
twice a day, every day.
一个无形的混凝土和钢铁的波浪
An invisible wave of concrete and steel.
它们被称为地球潮汐
They're called Earth tides.
欢迎来到我的村庄 威尔 很高兴你能来到这里
从火山下来
WILL: Coming down from the volcano,
杰克逊带我们到他住的村子里去庆祝
Jackson takes us to his village to celebrate.
我意识到 我在以不同的方式倾听这一切
And I realize I am listening to everything differently.
不同层次的声音
WILL: The layers of sound.
我能感觉到自己的听觉更敏锐了
WILL: I could feel my hearing turn up.
我被调试去倾听包罗万象的声音
I was tuned into a. . . a whole world of sound
虽然我是一个音乐人 却不曾听到过那些声音
that even as a musician had been hidden from me.
我很自豪能够让威尔