剧集 | 被点亮的星球(2018) | 导航列表
All of those things constantly tell me which way is up.
所有那些重量都不断告诉我 我的哪个方向是"上"
But as soon as your weightless...
一旦你失重
all that's gone.
一切就都消失了
And it makes you nauseous.
这会让你感到恶心
I was feeling terrible when I first got to space.
我第一次进入太空时 感觉糟透了
And I thought to myself, is this really fun?
我问自己 这真的有趣吗
漫游太空29天
迈克·马西米诺
When you wanna throw up, really nothing's fun.
当你非常想吐的时候 真的一点也不好玩
I did puke on my first day in space.
我在太空的第一天就吐了
When you're on Earth,
当你在地球上时
gravity is pulling all the fluids in your body down.
重力会把你的所有体液往下拉
漫游太空8天
梅·杰米森
When you're up in space, there's a major fluid shift.
但在太空 你就会面临严重的流体倒转
It feels like you've been standing on your head for about three hours.
这感觉就像你倒立了三个小时
Gravity defines how big our heart has to be
重力决定了我们的心脏大小
and what the configuration of our cardiovascular system looks like.
和我们心血管系统的布局
The whole design of the human body,
人体的整个结构
the skeleton underneath it, the strength of the muscles,
身体里的骨架 肌肉的力量
it's really shaped by the gravity of the Earth.
都确确实实由地球的重力所塑造
We don't really think about it,
我们不曾想过
but we're constantly weight lifting on Earth.
但在地球上我们一直在举重
Holding our head up, holding our body up, fighting gravity.
抬头起身 都是在与重力做斗争
Without gravity, your muscles and your bones start to waste away.
失去重力 你的肌肉和骨骼都会日趋衰弱
We have machines that, that we push against and lift against
我们有许多用于托举牵拉的健身器材
and elastics that hold us on the treadmill.
通过松紧带将我们固定在跑步机上
Sort of gravity simulations.
进行重力模拟
But even with the best exercise equipment we've invented so far,
但即使用着史上最好的运动器械
I lost about eight percent of the bone density
我髋骨和股骨上部的骨密度
across my hips and my upper femur.
还是损失了大约百分之八
My skeleton started to waste away.
我的骨骼开始退化
What do the effects of weightlessness mean
失重的影响对星际探索
for interplanetary exploration?
有什么意义吗
With that long time in weightlessness
长时间的失重
have degraded our bodies enough
会让我们身体退化
that we'd be useless when we get there?
以至于我们到达目的地时 已经是个废人了
We're working on it,
我们正在努力
but we definitely haven't solved all those problems yet.
但很明显 我们还没有排除万难
Astronauts.
宇航员
Their heads swell and they throw up a lot.
他们会头晕脑胀 时常呕吐
You don't see that in the movies.
在电影里你不会看到这些场景
The truth is, we are a part of this planet.
而事实是 我们是地球的一部分
It is baked into our bones.
它的影响早已刻进我们的骨子里
Down here we're nurtured and protected.
在地球上 我们享受滋养与庇佑
But when we go, we'll be going it alone.
一旦我们离开 就要全靠自己了
If humanity wants to survive,
如果人类想要生存下去
sooner or later we are going to have to get off planet
我们就迟早得飞离地球
Plan B.
B计划
But the second we step outside the safety of our home,
但在我们跨出安乐窝的那一刻
we are exposed.
我们就暴露在外面了
Our sun is constantly spewing out radiation.
太阳不断向外界喷涌射线
And occasionally there's a huge solar flare
偶尔出现太阳耀斑时
漫游太空166天
查里斯·哈德菲尔德
where a big mass ejection
会释放强大的电磁辐射
that could threaten life on Earth.
威胁地球上的生命
The Earth is protected by a magnetic field in the atmosphere.
地球受到大气层中磁场的保护
And that force field helps deflect the deadly radiation.
该磁场有助于使致命辐射偏转
And it keeps it from driving right through and hitting our bodies.
并且防止它直接穿透和击中我们的身体
On board the International Space Station,
在国际空间站上
we are much more vulnerable.
我们更加脆弱
If the scientists on earth have seen
如果地球上的科学家观测到
one of these huge storms from the sun coming towards us
那些向我们袭来的巨大太阳风暴
we go to the parts of the space station
我们就会收到指令去往空间站中
that have the best protection from the storm of radiation
有着最好防护措施的地方 那里能够抵御
that's about to pour past.
即将爆发的辐射风暴
You're subject to not just the sun's radiation,
我们遭受的辐射不仅来自太阳
but all of the radiation of the universe.
还来自全宇宙
A strange thing sometimes happens.
有时会发生一些奇怪的事
You see a flash of light out of the darkness.
你看见黑暗中有一道光闪过
A reminder that you're not in Kansas anymore.
提醒着你 你已经不在堪萨斯州了
When a star out in our galaxy dies
当银河系中的一颗恒星
in an enormous explosion that we call a supernova,
在一场大爆♥炸♥ 即超新星爆♥炸♥ 中死亡时
it releases a huge amount of energy.
它会释放出巨大的能量
Cosmic rays racing across the universe at essentially the speed of light,
宇宙射线基本上以光速穿越宇宙
186,000 miles a second.
每秒30万公里
So fast that those little radiation particles come by Pluto
速度之快 以至于这些看似不起眼的辐射粒子
and make it all the way to the earth in just five hours.
短短5小时内就能从冥王星到达地球
And if you're above the earth's atmosphere,
如果你在地球大气层上方
there is nothing to stop them slamming into your body.
就无法阻挡它们击中你的身体
Most of them you're unaware of.
并且大多数辐射你都察觉不到
But sometimes one of these little cosmic rays
但有时这些微小的宇宙射线
goes through your optic nerve.
会穿透你的视神经
And because of the way our vision is designed,
由于视觉神经的构造
it actually reacts like a flash of light.
它会使你觉得见到了一束光
And what you're actually seeing is radiation going through you.
但事实上 你真正♥见♥到的是穿过你的辐射
I'd be lying there in my sleeping bag and zap, zap, zap.
我躺在睡袋里 辐射嗖嗖穿过
漫游太空50天
杰夫·霍夫曼
One of the best light shows I've ever seen but at the same time,
这是我见过的最好的灯光秀之一 但同时
I knew that that meant that my head
我知道这意味着我的大脑
was getting zapped by charged particles.
正在被带电粒子撞击
And it can be a showstopper,
辐射的力量令人叹服
漫游太空143天
杰瑞·林恩格
it can be a bombardment of radiation than not only,you know,
辐射的狂轰滥炸 不仅仅是
increases your chances of cancer down the line.
增加你罹患癌症的几率
But literally gives you radiation sickness on the way.
它也能如字面上那样 让你得上辐射病
If you're gonna spend weeks or months or years on a space ship,
如果你打算在宇宙飞船里待上几周 几月 甚至几年
you have to start considering that this causes mutations.
你就必须得考虑基因突变的可能
It overwhelms your body's ability to repair itself.
这已经超过了身体的自我修复能力
So, on our trip to colonize the stars,
因此 在我们开拓太空的过程中
we know we'll get seriously zapped.
我们深知会受到严重的辐射伤害
We need to prepare for that.
我们必须对此做好准备
We can start in a place where the Geiger counter clicks
我们可以从此处开始 在这里 盖革计数器
like it would in a deep space mission.
和在外太空时探测结果相同
乌克兰
切尔诺贝利
变异体寻找者
蒂姆西·穆苏教授
Despite the fact that this is a dangerous place,
尽管这里很危险
Chernobyl provides this unique opportunity to examine
但切尔诺贝利为我们提供了
what happens to the evolutionary process when you kick it with a little extra mutation.
观察突变如何作用于进化历程的独特视角
Back in '86, I was a senior in high school.
1986年 我还是名高中生
And I remember the nuclear meltdown
我记得这场核危机
that caused 400 times more fallout than the first atomic bomb.
造成的核辐射量是第一次原♥子♥弹♥爆♥炸♥的400倍
When the reactor exploded,
核反应堆爆♥炸♥时的情形
it was kind of like a volcano erupting.
就如火山爆发一样
With radioactive metals being ejected into the atmosphere.
放射性金属被喷射到大气中
That landed on the ground in a haphazard way,
再而纷落至地面
so there are these hot spots.
所以有了这些危险辐射区
You come into this landscape that was once thriving
你走进这个过去无限繁华
with happy people doing their thing.
人们安居乐业的地方
It gives you an eerie feeling.
这给你一种怪异的感觉
You really have to look around
你得环顾四周
and see what's being affected.
看看有什么不同
Many of the spiderwebs that were draped
许多悬挂在
alongside some of the houses in the villages
村里一些房♥屋中的蛛丝
were extremely unusual.
十分不同寻常
Some of the webs end up looking extraordinarily messy.
一些蛛网看起来很凌乱
They were very irregular.
毫无章法
They had big holes in them.
上面还有大大的洞
The spiders were having a problem spinning a normal web.
这些蜘蛛很难织出一张正常的蛛网
It's not just behavior that's changing.
不仅是行为发生改变
Some of the creatures are even starting to look different.
甚至一些生物的外貌也在发生转化
And firebugs are pretty hard to miss.
你很容易注意到萤火虫
剧集 | 被点亮的星球(2018) | 导航列表