但我现在更睿智了
But I am wiser now.
巴尔教授
Professor Bhaer.
我决定回家待一段时间
I've decided to go home for a short while.
我下周就走
I'm leaving next week.
这么突然
S-so suddenly?
我又收到了一笔稿费
I've had another payment,
所以已经攒够钱 带我妹妹去海边了
which means I have enough to take my sister to the sea.
她急需呼吸新鲜空气
She needs the air very badly.
但你会回来吗
But you will return?
回纽约吗
To New York?
是的
Yes.
会的
Yes.
祝你一路平安 马奇小姐
Godspeed you on your journey, Miss March.
-四周后见 -好的
- I'll see you in four weeks! - Ja.
-常写信给我们 -再见 一路平安
- Write often! - Bye. Bye. Safe journeys.
-乔 我们得说清楚 -说什么
- Jo, we're going to have to have this out. - Have what out?
从认识你的那天起 我就一直爱着你
I've loved you ever since I've known you!
我努力阻止自己 但我做不到
And I can't help it, even though I've tried.
劳里 我不想讨论这个话题
Laurie, I don't want to have this conversation!
我知道你不想
I know you don't!
我试图向你表达心意 但你拒绝看见
I've tried to show you how I feel but you refuse to see it.
所以现在我要逼你听 然后给我答复
So now I'm going to make you hear it, and give me an answer!
乔
Jo!
我不想让你难过 劳里
I don't want you to be unhappy, Laurie!
-我离开就是为了不让你难过 -没用的
- I went away so that you wouldn't be! - It was no use.
我一直努力让自己变成更好的人
I spent the whole time trying to turn myself into someone
值得你去爱
good enough for you to love!
你很好了 你一直都很好
You are good enough. You've always been good enough!
只是我无法用你所希望的方式爱你
It's just I can't love you in the way that you want me to.
我试过了 我没法在不爱你时 骗你说爱
I've tried, and I won't lie and say I love you like that when I don't!
你真的努力试过了吗
Have you really, truly tried?
真的努力试过了
Really, truly.
小西 对不起
Teddy, I'm sorry.
真的非常对不起
I'm so desperately sorry.
如果能让你好过些 我自杀也愿意
I'd kill myself if I thought it would help!
-那怎么会令我好过些 乔 -我不知道
- In what way would that help, Jo? - I don't know!
但也比逼我自己爱上你容易 因为我真的不爱你
But it would be easier than making myself love you when I don't!
-我做不到 -有些人做到了
- That can't be done. - Some people manage it.
我不相信那是爱情 我也不想去尝试
I don't believe in that sort of love, and I don't intend to try.
我有事要告诉你
I have something to tell you.
如果是关于那个老男人的 我不想听
If it's about that old man, I'd rather not hear it.
什么老男人
What old man?
你寄回来的信里总是提起的那个教授
That professor you were always writing home about!
巴尔教授吗
Professor Bhaer?
我们只是朋友 劳里
We're friends, Laurie.
我们谈论文学 戏剧 还有...
We talk about literature and plays, and...
你们一起参加哲学研讨会
You go to philosophical symposiums together!
我们只参加过一场哲学研讨会
We went to one philosophical symposium!
如果你告诉我你爱他 我才要自杀
If you tell me you love him, I'll be the one who kills myself!
我从未考虑过爱上巴尔教授
I haven't the least idea of loving Professor Bhaer
-或任何人 -你最终会的
- or anybody else. - You will in the end!
你最终也会的
And so will you in the end!
你头发留长了
You grew out your hair.
我想着你可能会喜欢
I thought you might care for it.
除了你 我不会再爱上其他人
I'll never love anyone but you.
劳里
Laurie.
理智一点
Be sensible.
我不要理智 我无法保持理智 乔
I will not be sensible! I can't be sensible, Jo!
我觉得你根本没有心
I don't believe you've got any heart at all!
我也希望我没有
And I wish I hadn't!
爱情勉强不来 劳里
Love cannot be forced, Laurie.
她也是这么说的
Well, that's what she said.
我宁可绞死自己
And I'd rather hang myself
也不想活在她不会回心转意的世界
than live in a world where she won't change her mind.
有时候 被女人激怒后的最佳回应
Sometimes the only response to the provocation of a woman
就是像个男人一样坦然接受
is to take it like a man.
要是我无法像个男人一样接受呢
What if I can't take it like a man?
那就出国
Then take yourself abroad.
你说过我毕业后可以去旅行
You said I could travel once I graduated,
但我没想过会独自去旅行
but I didn't think I'd be travelling alone.
你不会是一个人
You wouldn't be alone.
我不能和乔一起去
I wouldn't be with Jo.
至少还有一个人
There's at least one person
愿意陪你到世界尽头
who'd go to the end of the Earth with you.
谁
Who?
我
Me.
谢谢你 先生
Thank you, sir.
我在你这个年纪时 也经历过这一切
I went through all of this when I was your age.
你父亲这么大时 也经历过这一切
And then again when it was your father's turn.
你能否先别弹《悲怆奏鸣曲》
May I advise against the Sonata Pathetique...
等我们心情缓和后再弹
Until we're feeling more robust?
这是扇贝和天使之翼
You have a bay scallop and an angel wing here.
你想让我在书里查查其他贝壳的种类吗
Do you want me to look the other ones up in the book?
过一会吧
Later.
你知道的吧 乔
You know, don't you, Jo?
是的
Yes.
我想告诉你
I wanted to tell you,
但我说不出口
but I couldn't.
我已经知道很久了
I've known for a long time.
我怀疑过 但我希望我错了
I suspected, and I wanted to be wrong,
于是我去找班斯医生
so I went to Dr Bangs,
希望他告诉我 这只是胡思乱想
so he could tell me not to be so silly and...
但事与愿违
And he didn't.
现在我习惯了 不再那么难以忍♥受
Now I'm used to it, it isn't hard to bear.
只不过我一直保守着秘密
Except I've been keeping a secret.
你去年秋天是被这困扰着吗
Is that what was troubling you last autumn?
是的
Yes.
和劳里没关系
It wasn't to do with Laurie?
和劳里有什么关系
Why would it be to do with Laurie?
只是看他像你们一样
Apart from seeing him so strong and well
强壮 健康 对生活充满希望
and so full of happy plans, like all of you.
但你保守着秘密
But you kept it a secret.
不让我们安慰你 帮助你
You didn't let us comfort you or help you.
你为什么要把我们隔开 独自承受
Why did you try to shut us out and bear it all alone?
我不想自私
I didn't want to be selfish.
我不想吓到妈妈
I didn't want to frighten Marmee,
她已经为梅格和分娩的事焦头烂额了
when she was already worried about Meg and her confinement.
你觉得我们不想关心你吗
You don't think we wanted to care for you?
你得让我们帮你
You have to let us help you.
你得努力好起来
You have to try to get well.
我在努力
I do try.
但我的力气越来越少
But every day I lose a little strength
越来越肯定我不会好起来了
and feel more certain I shall never get it back.
就像潮水一样 乔
It's like the tide, Jo.
缓慢地退却 但无法阻止
When it turns, it goes slowly, but it can't be stopped.
我会阻止它
I'll stop it.
我会与之战斗
I'll fight it.
我会让你活下来
I'll... keep you alive,
不论如何
whatever I have to do,
不管我要向上帝献祭什么
and whatever I have to give up to God.
这就是祂想要的 乔
This is what He wants, Jo.
祂不能这么残酷
He can't be that cruel.
我也不想失去生命
I don't want to let life go.
但我要试着放手
I can only try to be willing.
等我们回家后 你能告诉父亲母亲吗
Will you tell Father and Marmee, when we get home?
-也许我不需要说 -但你必须得说
- I won't have to. - But you must.
你必须照顾好他们
And you must look after them.
向我保证
Promise me.
我保证
I promise.
-下午好 马奇小姐 -劳里
- Good afternoon, Miss March! - Laurie!