I just had a story accepted by a publisher.
《孔雀之灰》
The Ashes Of The Peacock!
是一个公爵打牌赢得一面闹鬼的镜子后
Is that the one where the Duke goes mad after
就发疯了那个故事吗
he wins a haunted mirror in a card game?
不 是在巴黎的地下墓穴里追逐那个故事
No, it's the one with the chase in the catacombs of Paris.
有一场决斗 两个人喝了毒芹
There's a duel, two people drink hemlock.
乔
Oh, Jo...!
不 劳里
Oh, no, Laurie!
你别再闹着玩 亲我了
Don't you dare try any of that kissing lark again!
我们都没喝酒
We haven't been drinking any claret,
所以你没有借口
so there's really no excuse.
那我就只能大喊来表达激动了
I shall content myself with a cry of,
「都为乔瑟芬·马奇欢呼吧
"All hail Josephine March,
她是有名的美国女作家」
a celebrated American authoress!"
去年的这个时候 我还是个坏脾气的女孩
This time last year, I was a bad-tempered girl
抱怨自己没收到任何圣诞礼物
complaining that she wasn't getting any Christmas presents!
我当时是世界上最孤独的男孩
I was the loneliest boy on Earth.
我已经不认识那个女孩了
I don't know who that girl is any more!
我想变回她 因为她什么都不知道
I want to be her again, because she didn't know anything.
她不懂得被抨击 几乎失去的感受
She didn't know what would be savaged, and almost lost.
但我又不想变成她 因为我获得了许多
And yet I don't want to be her, because of all that I've gained.
今年的圣诞节很快乐 不是吗
It's a happy Christmas, this year, isn't it?
比以往快乐
Happier.
乔 我来找你是有原因的
Jo, I came to find you for a reason.
你没告诉其他人你要去哪儿
You didn't tell anyone where you were going.
你得立刻回家
You're needed at home.
劳伦斯先生 你的钢琴
Mr Laurence, your piano!
乔
Jo!
你回来了
You're home?
你回家了 你完全康复了吗
You're home, and you're truly well again?
我健康得不得了
I am as whole as ever I shall be.
什么事
Yes?
亲爱的 有人来找你
Dearest. There's someone here to see you.
谢谢你 约翰 对我们展现忠诚
I thank you, John, for the loyalty you've shown us,
以及即将为我们国家服役
and the service you are about to give to our country.
这是我的荣誉 也是我的荣幸 先生
It is my honour and my privilege, sir.
坐吧
Sit?
亲爱的 他是来找梅格的
Dearest, he's here to see Meg.
我把你的银制梳妆用具擦亮
I polished your silver toilette set,
并放回你卧室里了
and put it back in your bedroom.
拿上你的披肩
Then get your tippet.
我想去和你父母谈谈你的未来
I wish to address your parents about your future,
以及你姐姐乔瑟芬的未来
and that of your sister Josephine.
那个很棒但粗鲁不雅的女孩
Great, ungainly windmill of a girl.
我需要一个安静细心 有教养的人来陪我
I need a poised and punctilious companion, and a refined one.
我已经决定由你来替代她
I am resolved that you shall replace her.
你参军了
You enlisted?
我说过我会的 我说到做到
I said I would. And I'm a man of my word.
乔 能否让我和梅格单独谈谈
Jo, would you grant me a private interview with Meg?
如果你不想和他说话 我就叫他走
I'll tell him to go away if you don't care to talk to him.
别
Don't.
我想
Because I do.
你的手在发抖
Your hands are trembling.
请别告诉我 你怕我
Please don't tell me you're afraid of me.
你对我父亲这么好
How could I be afraid of you,
我怎么会怕你
when you've been so kind to my father?
我不想让你发抖
I still don't like to make you tremble.
如果你不喜欢 我不会再牵你的手
I won't take your hand again if you don't wish it.
我只想问你
I shall only ask you this
你是否或能否喜欢我 哪怕一点
do you, or could you, care for me, even a little?
我...
I...
不知道
Don't know.
我会等待 我会战斗
I shall wait, and I shall fight,
如果我能活下来 我会回来工作
and if I am spared, I shall come home and work.
即使你不能保证
And even if you can't promise me
将你的爱意作为对我奋斗的嘉奖
your love as a reward at the end of my endeavours,
我也不会退缩
I shall not falter,
只会祈祷我的努力并非徒劳无功
but only pray that my efforts are not in vain,
你终会选择像我爱你一般地爱我
and that you'll choose to love me as much as I love you.
如果我不这样选择呢
And what if I don't choose?
我只能学会承受
I will have to try to bear it.
我来看看我侄子
I've come to see my nephew.
大门半敞着
As the door to the street was ajar,
女仆也不见踪影
and neither hide nor hair of a maid in evidence,
我就直接来会客室了
I thought I would show myself into the parlour.
你能把这些刺绣拿走吗 谢谢你
Would you remove this fancywork? Thank you.
介绍一下这位军人为何在此吧
Then explain the presence of this military gentleman,
并解释一下你为何面颊绯红
and the reason why your cheeks are peony pink.
我相信两件事有联♥系♥吧
I dare say the two circumstances are connected.
这位是布鲁克先生 马奇叔婆 他是父亲的朋友
This is Mr Brooke, Aunt March, my father's friend.
鲁克
Rook?
我在马萨诸塞
Not a name I've ever heard
没听过有叫这名字的上流家庭
in connection with the better families of Massachusetts.
他叫布鲁克 马奇叔婆
His name is Brooke, Aunt March.
参军前 他是劳伦斯先生孙子的家庭教师
And until he enlisted, he was tutor to Mr Laurence's grandson.
家庭教师 当然了
Of course. The tutor.
满脑袋想法 但金库里空空如也
A head full of notions, and coffers full of air.
如果你对我的侄孙女有任何恶作剧想法
If you harbour thoughts of mischief towards my great-niece,
我建议你尽早坦白
I insist that you divulge them.
我没有胡闹 夫人
There is no mischief in me, ma'am.
但我刚刚求了婚
But I have just made a proposal of marriage.
你答应他了吗 梅格丽特
And did you accept him, Margaret?
她没有答应
No. She did not.
很好
Good.
你要是答应了 就别想继承我一分钱
Because if you do, you will never see one penny of my money!
我会嫁给我喜欢的人 马奇叔婆
I will marry whom I please, Aunt March!
你想把钱给谁都无所谓
And you can leave your money to anyone you like!
年轻人沉湎于浪漫的暗示时
There is a defect of character one encounters in the young,
总会暴露性格缺陷
when they are engulfed by intimations of romance.
我称之为任性的趣味
I call it the spice of perversity,
这会导致头脑发热 以及苦痛的结果
and it leads to hot heads and bitter reflection!
你要是不相信我 就问问你父母
And if you don't believe me, pray consult your parents!
他们还不如孩子懂人情世故
They had no more worldly wisdom than a pair of babies, either.
我很喜欢他们这样
And I am very glad of it!
他们是我见过最登对的夫妻
For they made as beautiful a match as I have ever seen,
并且他们只以我的幸福为重
and they care for nothing but my happiness!
我希望他们教授你责任
I wish they cared to teach you your duty!
也就是尊重长辈 找个好姻缘
Which is to respect your elders, marry well,
并且供养家庭
and provide for your family!
我会嫁得很好 因为约翰爱我
I will marry well, because John loves me.
我也爱他
And I love him.
如果你定要如此
Well, if that is your conviction,
这整件事与我无关
I wash my hands of the entire affair.
你结婚时不会收到我的任何礼物
Expect nothing from me when you marry,
只要我还在世
or when I am laid in Earth,
我和你说清楚 我们断绝关系
for I say this, and say it plainly - I am done with you.
你告诉她你爱我
You just told her you love me!
在她辱骂你之前 我都没意识到
I... I didn't know I did, until she abused you,
但我现在知道了
but I know it now.
好好学习
Study hard.
伤员
Wounded man!
父亲
Father.
我能和你谈谈吗
May I speak with you?
关于梅格的婚礼吗
Is it about Meg's wedding?
不 父亲 不是这件事
No, Father, it is not.
既然不是 你可以对我畅所欲言
In which case you may speak with me to your heart's content.
在过去几周里
I have spent the last several weeks
对于谈论选择头纱还是软帽 蛋糕还是馅饼
stretched to my utmost on topics as far-reaching
以及安家时所需煤桶和掸子的数量等
and as strange to me as veils versus bonnets, cake versus pie,
这些对我来说遥远又奇怪的话题
and the minimum number of scuttles and dusters
已经到达了我的极限