弗吉尼亚 你写的完全是散文诗
Virginia, you've written passages of pure prose poetry.
可能有点太多了 我标出了冗余的
Perhaps a few too many, I've marked the surplus.
谢谢你这么仔细地看了一遍
Thank you for reading it so closely.
我必须承认我原先以为
I must confess I didn't expect you
你顶多只会扫一眼
to do more than glance at it.
我有的是时间
Well, I have the time...
小山羊
Billy...
我很抱歉
I'm so sorry.
朱利安小睡 我才有点时间画画
I was snatching an hour while Julian has his nap.
我的手上全是颜料
My hands are covered in paint!
你要我把他抱下来给你看看吗
Do you want me to bring him down for you?
不用了 别吵他了
Oh, no, don't disturb him.
恐怕我得走了 我还要上课
I must go, I'm afraid, I'm teaching.
亲亲鼻子 如果不是太湿的话
On the snout, if not too wet.
没错 从1750年开始的英国诗歌♥
Yes, English Poetry since 1750,
根本没人有兴趣
so no-one has the least interest!
-你会从康沃尔给我写信吧 -是多塞特
- Well, write to me from Cornwall, will you! - Dorset!
我希望你好好照顾她了
I hope you looked after her.
我知道你心里很清楚我需要这笔钱
I know you know I need the money.
我让克莱夫买♥♥下它
I asked Clive to buy it
因为这是我在过去至少5年内看过的最出色的画作
because it's the best painting i've seen in at least five years.
而且他也喜欢
And he loves it too.
你知道我不会撒谎 出了名的
You know I can't lie. I'm famous for it.
话说 我以为梅纳德很有钱呢
Anyway, I thought Maynard was richer than Wotsit these days,
有国王学院的奖学金 又有股票什么的
with the King's chair and all his stock market things.
我不能余生都靠着梅纳德度过活
I can't live off Maynard for the rest of my days.
我们又没有...
It's not as if we're...
结婚
married.
你好 邓肯
Oh, hello, Duncan.
亲爱的 你知道我们8点约了人吧
Darling, you realise we're expected for eight.
真烦
Buggeration.
你也会来吧 去莫莱尔家
You're coming too, aren't you? To the Morells?
-我要刮刮胡子 -我得去泡个澡
- I did intend to shave. - And I must have a bath.
你一定要洗 那是很庄重的场合
You certainly must, it's going to be smart.
阿斯奎斯一家也会去
The Asquiths are going to be there.
首相和他夫人吗
The Prime Minister and his wife?
不 现在找借口太晚了
No! It's far too late to make your excuses.
-去做准备吧 -你必须刮胡子了
- Go and get ready. - And you must shave!
你不介意吧 亲爱的
You don't mind, do you, darling?
反正邓肯是个同性恋
Since Duncan's an invert?
那有什么区别呢
How is it different, though?
你和梅纳德 结不结婚又有何不同
You and Maynard, from being married?
我想知道
I want to know.
由我来发表见解恐怕不太合适
Well, I'm hardly best suited to say, am I?
我猜...
I suppose...
我们对彼此的期待不同
..we don't expect the same things of each other.
孩子 显然
Children, obviously.
忠贞
Fidelity.
忠诚
Loyalty?
不 那是不一样的 不是吗 忠诚是...
No, that's something else, isn't it? Loyalty is...
-一种原色 -对 很好
- ..A primary colour. - Yes. Good.
那么一定还有其他两种原色
There must be two others then.
我猜是交谊
Companionship, I suppose.
或者说友谊
Or rather friendship.
能够说出一个人真正的意思
Being able to say what one means, anyway,
而不被认为堕落
without being thought depraved...
或疯癫
..or mad.
忠诚 友谊和...
Loyalty, friendship and...
性 当然了
..Sex, of course.
这三者中最棒的是...
And the greatest of these is...
-友谊 -性
- Friendship. - Sex.
幸亏在这类事情上 我们比我们的父辈
Thank God we're so much more sensible than our parents
更通情达理
with all this kind of thing.
弗吉尼亚说...
Virginia says...
能借我一副饰扣吗
I couldn't borrow a pair of studs, could I?
当然可以 克莱夫有的是
Oh, of course, Clive seems to have hundreds.
弗吉尼亚说
Virginia says that's what
他们那群人无休止的麻烦正源于此
led to no end of trouble with their lot -
不止是疯狂
not just madness,
还有战争等等
but wars and so on.
当然了 她说得更好
Naturally she puts it much better.
总之 整天说什么不要提茅厕
Anyway, all that nonsense about never mentioning the WC
性♥交♥或诸如此类的话
or copulation or anything of that sort.
我们希望对朱利安采取完全不同的教育方法
We intend to bring up Julian quite differently.
我小时候 大人们也不准我们说茅厕
We weren't allowed to say WC when I was a child.
我们把它称作...
We called it...
我们是怎么叫的来着
What did we call it?
落款: 弗吉尼亚
叫的是"做客"
Paying a visit, of all things.
那其实是很困惑的一种说法
Which was rather confusing,
因为当时的人们是很少去别人家做客的
given the actual visits people were always paying.
倒是更容易让人想到
One did rather think of the
一个牧师在客厅地毯上拉了泡屎
vicar shitting on the drawing room carpet.
忠诚
Loyalty.
什么
I'm sorry?
三原色
The three primary colours.
显然 忠诚
Surely loyalty's...
才是最重要的
..The most important.
或许你说得对
Perhaps you're right.
说得很在理
Just the ticket.
这是谁身上的香味 克莱夫
Whose scent is that, Clive?
你必须告诉我 弗吉尼亚从来不涂香水的
You must tell me. Virginia never wears scent.
-弗吉尼亚 -是谁
- Virginia? - Who is it?
只要你告诉我 我保证我不会介意的
I shan't mind, I promise, as long as I know.
你跟别的女人乱搞了
You've been with another woman,
你衣服上都是她的香味 快告诉我
your clothes are heavy with it. Tell me.
是...
It's, um...
是瑞雯太太
It's Mrs Raven.
我又跟她见面了
I saw her again, and...
听着 你必须明白 我对你的爱依然分毫未减
Now, look here, you must know, I don't love you any less.
只是...
It's just...
那个可恶的孩子
..the wretched baby.
不是 可恶
Not...wretched.
你知道我爱那个小家伙 很喜欢他
You know I love the little chap. Adore him.
但你长♥期♥以来对我完全是冷淡的
But you've been so shut off.
逐渐地 情况就越来越糟糕
One thing led to another, as they say.
愚蠢 我真是太愚蠢了
Stupid. I've been very stupid.
我喜欢你
I adore you.
你必须相信我这一点
You must believe me.
男人都有 弱点
Men have a...weakness.
我实在是难以抗拒美人
I'm so wretchedly susceptible to beauty.
是啊
Yes.
对不起
I'm sorry.
-亲爱的 -别
- My darling... - No.
听我说 我不想...
Listen to me. I don't want...I...
我并不认为 就因为我们结婚了
don't think either of us should be hemmed in...
双方就该断绝和外界的来往 或是不幸福
..Or unhappy just because we're married.
但我们有了个儿子
But we have a son.
一个俊俏的小男孩
Our beautiful boy.
有朋友 有房♥子
And friends and a house.
我们必须坦诚相待
We must be honest with each other.
没错
Yes.
并且现实一点
And realistic.
只要通情达理 我们可以克服一切
If one is reasonable, we can overcome almost anything.
妮莎 你太令我惊叹了
Nessa, you...amaze me.
很好
Good.
但你必须 结束跟弗吉尼亚的关系
But you must...end it with Virginia.
我发誓 我们之间什么事都没有
Nothing has happened between us, I swear.
不管是什么 我都无法忍♥受
Whatever it is, I couldn't bear it.
她也无法忍♥受的
And neither could she, really.
你知道她做不到的