Painting can be a sort of...
物理感知
physical knowledge.
感谢你如此耐心
Thank you for being so patient.
我知道不是每个人都喜欢
I know not everyone enjoys
一遍又一遍地看同一样东西
looking at the same thing over and over again.
我可以不知疲倦地看着你
I never tire of looking at you.
如果你是一幅画 斯蒂芬小姐 我...
If you were a painting, Miss Stephen, I...
我绝不会厌烦
I shouldn't tire of it.
你怎么和贝尔先生去了那么久
Your expeditions with Mr Bell get ever longer!
想必藏品的规模一定可以和国家美术馆相媲美
The collection must be of a size to rival the National Gallery.
我告诉过你我整个下午都会在外面的
I did tell you I'd be out all afternoon.
我不确定贝尔先生的动机是体面的
I'm not sure Mr Bell's intentions are honourable.
-我觉得他意欲强♥奸♥和抢劫 -弗吉尼亚
- I think he intends rape and pillage. - Virginia!
那你错了
Well, you're wrong.
事实上 他求婚了
He's proposed, actually.
还有比这个更体面的吗
What could be more honourable than that?
你杯子用完了吧
You've finished with your cup, haven't you?
你一定拒绝了他
You turned him down, of course.
那是当然
Of course.
从现在起周四夜聚会将变得有点尴尬了
Thursday nights are going to be a mite awkward from now on.
不是吧 托比
Really, Thoby,
你的意思是 为了避免尴尬
are you suggesting I should have accepted Mr Bell
我该接受贝尔先生吗
purely to avoid embarrassment?
不
No.
当然不是
Of course not!
我不明白为什么会尴尬
I don't see why there should be any awkwardness.
我清楚地跟他解释了我根本无意
I explained I have no desire whatsoever to be married,
与任何人结婚 就是这样
that's all, to anyone.
他看起来完全理解
He seemed to understand perfectly.
牛奶变质了
Milk's off!
别告诉我你们两个喝了都没发现
Don't tell me you both drank it without noticing!
梅波
Mabel!
说真的 有时我真绝望
Really, sometimes I despair!
我可没有勾引过他
I did nothing to encourage him.
里顿 不被品尝的蛋糕就不是蛋糕
Lytton, cake without eating it simply isn't cake.
脱离了艺术品 艺术也不成艺术了
Art doesn't exist apart from the artefact,
人伦关系也将不复存在 如果脱离了...
human relations don't exist apart from...
-性♥交♥吗 -是人性
- Copulation? - Humanity!
算啦 H先生
Come, Mr H,
我认为你必须承认凯恩斯的观点
I think you have to concede Keynes' point...
我不会放弃的
I'm not giving up.
谢谢你 格斯 我很高兴有人能够
Thank you, Goth, I am glad that someone finds it possible
在这充满恶意的困境中看到理性的存在
to see sense through this morass of ill-will...
天啊 板球嘛 就是一直互吊高球
Oh, God, cricket! Keep lobbing balls for each other...
放弃什么
Giving up what?
没什么
Nonsense.
一个人该把绘画当做最重要的事
One has to keep hold of painting as the most important thing,
-你不觉得吗 -我想是的
- don't you find? - I suppose.
你应该发现你已经将自己说进了死胡同
You must see you've argued yourself into a corner.
不是第一次了
Not for the first time.
那还不是你把他绕进去的
Only because you've manoeuvred him there,
你就像个懦弱可悲的恶霸
like the most craven sort of bullies.
我支持你 斯特拉奇先生
I'm with you Mr Strachey.
没有人能懂我
No-one can be with me...
不过我只有在画不出作品时
Though I find I'm only interested in theories of painting
才对绘画的理论感兴趣
when I can't actually paint.
或是在我痛苦的时候
Or when I'm miserable.
对我而言 两种情况往往同时发生
The two often go together, in my case.
希望你现在不是那样
Not at the moment, I hope.
那是我性格里的一个缺陷
It's a flaw in my character.
你这搞得完全像是私人恩怨了
You're taking this far too personally!
-斯特拉奇先生 -里顿
- Mr Strachey... - Lytton!
天呐
Oh, dear!
在所有娼妓里面
Well, of all prostitutes,
精神层面的是最下♥贱♥的
the spiritual ones are the worst.
你是说梅纳德吗
You mean Maynard?
-我以为你们两个正打得火热 -是霍布豪斯
- I thought you two were rather going at it. - Hobhouse.
梅纳德连做个荡♥妇♥的想象力都没有
Maynard lacks the imagination even to be a jade.
他就是个 长着生殖器的安全脚踏车
He's a... safety bicycle with genitals.
霍布豪斯 是谁
Hobhouse? Sorry?
就是剑桥大学的那个金发男孩
The blond boy, the one at Cambridge.
梅纳德知道的
Maynard knew.
邓肯 他知道我对那男孩动了感情
He knew, Duncan, that I'd given my heart.
我也很乐意献上我的肉体
And I'd have gladly given my penis,
但霍布总说他发过誓要守贞
but Hobber always claimed he was sworn to chastity.
-那他们... -看来
- And they're... - It appears
贞洁之誓只是针对我的
that vow of chastity applied only to me.
他和梅纳德已经毫无顾忌地上过床了
He and Maynard have copulated freely...
一整个暑假都在干啊 舔啊
...have fucked and sucked all summer.
霍布豪斯出于内疚写信向我坦白
Of course guilt compelled Hobhouse to write to me about it.
这个世界真是肮脏恶臭
The whole world stinks in my nostrils.
天呐 连我自己都散发着恶臭
God...I stench in my own nostrils.
老天呐 我简直荒谬可笑
Oh, Christ, I'm ridiculous!
不 不是这样的
No, you're not.
里顿
Lytton...
真的
Truly.
那他们都是鸡♥奸♥者吗
Are they all sodomites then?
不 弗吉尼亚
No! Virginia...
梅波随时可能会进来
Mabel could come in at any moment!
震惊一下对她有好处
Oh, the shock would do her good.
那可不只是震惊的问题了
It's hardly a question of shock.
在法律面前 是要坐牢和服苦役的
In the eyes of the law, it's jail and hard labour.
尽管斯特拉奇先生更愿意称之为
Even if Mr Strachey does prefer to call it
"高等鸡♥奸♥"
"The Higher Sodomy".
那是自然 高尚尊贵的男男之爱
Naturally. The exalted love of man for man.
完全说得通
It makes perfect sense,
因为他们都认为女性完全低他们一等
since they all consider women so thoroughly inferior.
世上的人进行了各种划分 一定让他们烦透了
What a bore for them the world must be peopled!
但说真的 我们为什么
But really, why should we
要满足于他们施舍的残羹剩饭
be content with the scraps from their table?
他们就是那样的 妮莎 排挤我们
That's what they do, Nessa. Exclude us.
在学校 大学 俱乐部里
Schools, colleges, clubs.
"洞口"
Orifices!
我不知道为什么我们要在意男人
I don't see why we should concern ourselves with men at all.
我更喜欢女人 我应该效仿他们
I much prefer women. I shall take a leaf from their book -
-"高等女同性恋" -随你喜欢
- the Higher Sapphistry! - If you prefer.
有什么关系呢
What does it matter -
谁把什么东西放在谁的某个部位
who puts what where and with whom?
友谊才是最重要的
Friendship is the thing.
也不会让别人不开心
And not making other people unhappy.
甚至 让彼此开心
Or even...making each other happy!
我只是觉得任何过于强烈的情感都不会有好结果
I just think strong feeling of any kind tends to go badly.
你应该是最清楚这一点的人了
You of all people should know that.
那就是引起发疯的原因
That way madness lies.
国王在灌木丛中裸♥露♥自己
You know, the King exposed himself in the bushes...
-鸟儿用希腊语对我歌♥唱 -弗吉尼亚
- ..And the birds sang to me in Greek. - Virginia...
你觉得我是因为父亲去世的悲痛而自杀
Do you think I tried to kill myself from grief
还是因为我感觉如释负重
because Father was dead, or because I was so very relieved?
我仍然找不到答案
I genuinely don't know, still.
没有必要把每件事都大声说出来
There's no need to say absolutely everything out loud, you know.
抱歉我很沉默 贝尔先生
I'm sorry I'm so quiet, Mr Bell.
尽管你也一路反常地沉默
Although you've been unusually quiet yourself.
我很痛苦
It's killing me.
逛了三层的军用物品商店
Three floors of the Army and Navy
的确够让人难受的
is enough to finish anyone off.
斯蒂芬小姐
Miss Stephen,
我求婚后 你的感觉有发生改变吗
have your sentiments changed at all since my proposal?
或是向任何方向发展
Or developed, in any way?
难道我们不能按我们的需要去铸造婚姻
Couldn't we mould marriage to suit our own ends
而不是被婚姻左右吗
rather than be moulded by it?
艾德里安 搞定了 你看