就算你要嫁人 也只能嫁给我
If you marry, you must only marry me.
就我们斯蒂芬姐妹
Just us, Stephens.
很好 那么
Very well, then.
就我们斯蒂芬姐妹
Just us, Stephens.
画得真传神啊 不是吗
Looks just like it, doesn't it?
我 我知道那边有处好风景
I, er...I know a nice view up there a bit.
非常具有艺术气息
Really artistic.
或许...
Perhaps...
或许你可以带我去看看
Perhaps you might show me.
我听到的传言是真的吗 托比
Can it be true what I hear, Thoby?
你一直在举办一些堕落的聚会活动
That you've been holding some sort of degenerate salon?
-算不上 -你不是指我们的周四夜聚会吧
- Hardly! - You can't mean our Thursday nights?
就几个朋友 姑妈 他们都是高知分子
A few friends, aunt, that's all. It's all terribly high-minded.
你好 玛丽姑妈
Hello, Aunt Mary...
你看上去 充满活力
You look...flourishing!
事情怎么样 弗吉尼亚
How was it, Ginia?
我不知道他们有没有理解我说的任何一点
Well, I'm not sure the least thing I said went in.
那些可怜的售货小姐都睁不开眼
I mean, the poor shop girls can barely keep their eyes open,
店内还有个难缠的社♥会♥主♥义♥分子 扎尔德文先生
and there's a very difficult socialist, Mr Zeldwyn,
似乎是个犹太人
a Jew I think.
他问的都是些很烦人的问题
He asked the most vexing questions...
你太了不起了 小山羊
You're tremendous, Goat.
"给工人阶层看的文学"
"Literature for the working man."
工人
The working man?
实际上 是篇文章而已 莫利学院的作业
Well, it's composition, as a matter of fact. Morley College.
你居然瞒着我 妮莎
You have kept this from me, Nessa.
弗吉尼亚 你得照顾好你自己
Virginia, you know you must take great care
别把身子给操劳坏了
not to overstrain yourself,
这样会累垮你的脑子的
to tire out your brain.
玛丽姑妈说的对 弗吉尼亚
Aunt Mary's right, Virginia,
你知道你的脑子会变得多累...
you know how tired your brain can get...
闭嘴 艾德里安 你就是个懦弱的应声虫
Oh, do shut up, Adrian, you're like a feeble little echo!
抽烟 不是吧 怎么能...
Smoking? Really! This can't be...
恐怕我得替你们死去的父亲教训你们几句
I fear I must speak out, on behalf of your dear father.
看到自己女儿这副德性他会有多绝望...
He would have despaired to see his daughters...
我父亲已经死了 玛丽姑妈
Father is dead, Aunt Mary!
他已经死了
He's dead.
他并不相信死后还有灵魂
And since he didn't believe in an afterlife,
我觉得他也无法要求
I don't think even he could claim
我和弗吉尼亚再做出什么牺牲了
further sacrifice from Virginia and me.
我们想自主地活着...
We intend to live in our own way...
我们都想这样
Now. All of us.
如果这让你很失望 我很抱歉
If that is distressing to you, I'm sorry.
但如果是这样 你以后最好别再打电♥话♥来了
But in that case, it may be better for you not to call again.
布卢姆斯伯里
Bloomsbury.
玛丽姑妈消失了 你真的太棒了
Aunt Mary banished! You are entirely magnificent!
或许我做得太过了
Perhaps I went too far.
现在对于所有传言她肯定都深信不疑了
She's bound now to believe every rumour she hears.
管她的 我们自己知道本意有多纯洁就好
Well, let her. We alone know the purity of our intentions.
确实 贞洁应是我们最好的挡箭牌
Indeed. Chastity shall be our shield!
天呐 都这么晚了吗
Oh, Lord. Is it really so late?
贝尔先生要陪我去看几幅画作
Mr Bell's accompanying me to see some paintings.
贝尔先生
Mr Bell?
贝尔先生
Mr Bell?!
充满了法国风情...
It's almost French...
却还不够原汁原味 你不觉得吗
And yet not French enough, don't you think?
当然了 英国的绘画还在起步阶段
Of course, English painting was only in its infancy.
邓肯说庚斯博罗对色调的拿捏
Duncan says there's something disturbing
存在一些让人不舒服的地方
about Gainsborough's handling of tone,
不知你是否赞同 不过看着挺刺♥激♥的
I don't know if you agree. Stimulating though.
也许这就是他最大的优点吧
Perhaps that's the best thing about him.
也许该把庚斯博罗称作
Perhaps you could say that Gainsborough is
肖像画方面的特纳
the Turner of portrait painters.
约瑟夫·玛罗德·威廉·特纳
英国浪漫主义风景画家 水彩画家和版画家
你想说什么都行 贝尔先生 又不会成真
I think you could say anything, Mr Bell. It doesn't make it true.
你们所有人 都在那喋喋不休
All of you, talking and talking,
仿佛什么话题都能聊得兴起一样
as though everything can be talked.
也不是所有事
Well, not everything.
流氓
Indecency!
《我们是如何失去处子之身的》
我敢保证这一点都不关我的事
I can assure you this has got absolutely nothing to do with me.
我的天啊 里顿
Good God, Lytton.
艾芙斯太太在收拾邓肯的东西时发现的
Mrs Elvers found it while she was putting away Duncan's linen.
-我惊呆了 -安静点
- I am dumbstruck. - Quite.
你是我们之中跟你表弟最亲近的人了
Now, you are closer to your cousin than any of us.
你有注意到这种堕落的迹象吗
Have you noted signs of depravity?
当然啦 他面色苍白...
I mean, he's pale, of course...
-含糊不明 -母亲 他一直都挺含糊
- vague. - Mother, he's always been vague.
除非我们确定这个倾向已经一发不可收拾
It wouldn't be fair to trouble Duncan's parents
否则不应该去打扰邓肯的父母
until we establish if the tendency is far gone.
我要请教下专家
I shall consult an expert!
上帝啊
Oh, Christ!
希斯洛普医生
Dr Hyslop.
她是在参加妇女进步运动时认识他的
She met him through her work with the Women's Progressive Movement.
他是贝斯莱姆精神病院的院长
He's the head of Bedlam.
老实说 那已经算是温顺的行为了
Honestly, it's fairly tame,
我是说 跟学校里常见的那些行为相比
compared to the sort of thing that did the rounds at school.
你知道我母亲
Well, you know Mother -
生了13个小孩
13 children,
但是她对于性方面的事
but she remains untroubled by knowledge of anything that
依然是一无所知
occurs below the waist and above the knee.
不过 我才是更感到震惊的人
Still, I'm the more shocked.
年轻姑娘吗
Young ladies?
别担心
Don't worry,
我相信希斯洛普医生会证明我是个彻底的同性恋
I'm sure Dr Hyslop will confirm I'm fully an invert.
勇气可嘉
Courage!
原本可能比这更糟的
It could be a great deal worse.
没有疾病的迹象
Well, no signs of disease.
你姑妈担心 你之所以无法完成画作
Your aunt is concerned that your inability to finish a painting
可能是因为某些
may be the result of, um...
不洁的习惯
unclean habits.
是的 不 我...
Yes, no, I...
我也不知道为什么
I don't know why.
简姨妈很...
Aunt Jane has quite the...
她完全误会了 真的
She has got hold of the wrong end of the stick, truly.
我并没有浪荡无度
I am not dissipated.
在那方面没有
Not in that way.
我 年轻时也喜欢作画
I, um...I painted myself, when I was young.
一度也曾...颇为狂热
Quite the enthusiast... for a time.
最令人难受的不是知道某个人堕落变♥态♥ 犯罪
It's not so much knowing one is degenerate, criminal even...
而是坐在一起吃饭 或者交谈时
..it's sitting at meals or making conversation
了解一个人所思所感的一切
and knowing that everything one thinks and feels...
还有他觉得有趣 重要或美好的事物
what one finds amusing, or important, or beautiful,
而你自己与周围的人截然不同
everything is different from those around you.
他们如果知道了 会认为你是个智障
And if they knew, they'd think you an imbecile
或者把你关起来
or lock you up.
亲爱的朋友
My dear fellow...
你不认为这是我不能...
You don't think that's why I can't...
这是我难以完成画作的原因吧
..why I find it hard to finish my work?
你这个人本身就是一个半成品
You yourself are unfinished.
在你这年纪 人要经历很多阶段
At your age, one passes through many phases,
一名艺术家要尝试多种风格
and as an artist, many styles,
才能找到适合自己的
until one finds what suits.
在某个阶段过去之前
And until a phase passes,
拥有挚友的支持是极好的
the sympathy of true friends is a wonderful thing.
我会让你姑妈放心
I shall set your aunt's mind at rest.
真希望我能明白是什么让你如此陶醉
I wish I could see what it is that so beguiles you.
画作的某些细节
Some passages of paint...
你能在骨髓深处 感受到它们
You feel them... ..in your marrow.
你知道画下那么一笔 是什么样的感觉
You know what it must have been like to... make that mark.
绘画也可以是一种...