Oh, stop it, Julian! You may be foolish,
但是不要装作愚蠢到无可救药
but don't pretend to be stupid.
如果我不能上前线打仗
If I didn't fight, then.
如果我可以去帮忙
If I helped.
去出一份力
Really helped.
那是我认为的唯一能让我的生命有价值的事
It's the only way I can see to give my life any meaning at all.
那么
Then...
我们还怎么拦你
How can we stop you?
时间刚刚好啊 沃特
You're in good time, Walter!
朱利安
Julian!
车到了
The car's here.
你把这个忘在梳妆台了
You left this on your dressing table.
我...我用不着
I, erm...I shan't need it.
或许不到一周我身上就会爬满虱子
I'll probably be crawling with lice within the week.
别闷闷不乐的 亲爱的
No moping, darling.
那样会让你成为黄脸婆的
It'll dry up your juices.
你最好把这包烟收着
You'd better take the packet.
像这种日子你会忍♥不住抽的
It's that sort of day.
乔治早上在朴茨茅斯上船了
George embarked at Portsmouth this morning.
看来铺位来得比想象要快
Seems a berth came free rather sooner than expected.
那是你的决定还是他的
Was that his decision or yours?
我也不是很确定
I'm not entirely sure.
一定要去跟妮莎谈谈 记住了吗
Make sure Nessa talks to you, won't you?
谈什么
Whatever about?
我真希望你让我帮你多买♥♥几件衣服就好了
I do wish you'd let me buy you some more clothes...
不用了
It's fine.
你知道 妮莎
You do realise, Nessa,
你得告诉安吉莉卡真♥相♥
you need to tell Angelica the truth...
关于邓肯的真♥相♥
about Duncan.
她已经不是小孩了
She's not a child any more.
每个人都有权利知道自己的真实身份
Everyone's got a right to know who they really are.
那听上去像是一个很难办的要求
That sounds rather a tall order.
老实说 我都不明白你是怎么瞒到现在的
Quite honestly, I don't see how you've all let it get this far.
这不公平
It's not fair.
她肯定会听说有关她生父的传言
She's bound to hear things about who her father is.
前提是她还没听说的话
That's if she hasn't already.
我想她已经听说过了
Well, I suppose I thought she might've.
她多多少少听过那么一些...
That it might sort of have gradually filtered in...
那就是你们这些人的问题 和平主义者
That's the trouble with you lot, pacifists.
你们会想着去避免各种纷争
You avoid confrontations of all kinds.
看来你觉得我们搞砸了很多事情
You seem to think we've made a terrible hash of things all round.
我们这些老一辈的
The older generation.
我觉得你是我所知的最了不起的女人
I think you're the most remarkable woman I know.
或许这就是问题所在
Perhaps that's the trouble.
你的生命是有意义的
Your life does have meaning, you know.
深远的意义
Tremendous meaning.
你不会希望路上没了这个的
You don't want to run out on the journey.
朱利安 照顾好自己
Julian, do take care!
-走了啊 -再见
- Bye. - Bye.
再见
Bye
"亲爱的朱利安
"My dear Julian,
你从毕尔巴鄂寄来的信今早到了
Your last arrived this morning, posted from Bilbao.
你似乎没有收到我之前寄过去的两封信
You don't seem to have had two from me,
但我还是要继续写
but I intend to carry on regardless.
你说你发现急救工作很刺♥激♥ 感觉自己很有用
It's heartening to hear you're finding the ambulance work
对此我们感到很开心
so stimulating and feel so useful.
随着你的离开 安吉莉卡去了伦敦
We're very quiet here with you away
家里变得十分宁静
and Angelica off in London.
安吉莉卡听取了你的建议 去和小兔联♥系♥了
Angelica has taken your suggestion and been in touch with Bunny
你若记得的话 大家向来都很喜欢他
Who, if you remember, he's always liked very much.
我们都很高兴 他能好好照看她
We're all glad he's happy to keep an eye on her
毕竟我们都远在萨塞克斯
When we're down in Sussex.
小兔似乎对于扮演这一长辈的角色
As for B, he seems to have seized on an avuncular role
感到由衷的快乐"
with unusual gusto."
我这辈子做过很多事
I've been many things in my time,
但从未去剧院后台捧过女演员
but never a stage-door Johnny.
那我很高兴能让你见识点新鲜事物
Well, I'm glad there's something new I can introduce you to.
调情
Flirtation.
他们在戏剧学院就教你这个吗
Is that what they're teaching you at drama school?
我还能演哑剧
And I can mime it.
或者击剑 尽管我不是很擅长
Or engage in sword play, though I'm not very good at it.
有点危险
Bit dangerous.
我喜欢这儿
I do like it here.
我几乎哪里都没去过 朱利安说我是个乡巴佬
I haven't been anywhere, Julian says I'm a bumpkin.
干了吧
Straight back.
就该这样才对
That's the way.
我在俄♥国♥的时候
When I was in Russia,
酒是唯一能防止我的脚趾被冻掉的好东西
this was the only thing that stopped my toes from dropping off.
你什么时候去过俄♥国♥
When were you in Russia?
你出生前很久的事了 我那时...
Oh, long before you were born. I was...
12岁吧
12?
至少我的蛋蛋没被冻掉
My balls hadn't dropped, anyway.
成天和牧羊人呆在大草原上
Long days with the shepherds on the steppe.
干杯
Za tvoyo zdorovie!
最糟糕的是...也算不上最糟糕啦
And the worst thing... Well, not the worst thing...
直到朱利安出发前 才有人告诉我他要走
No-one told me Julian was going off until just before he went.
我觉得妮莎还抱有幻想 如果她避而不谈
I think Nessa was hoping that if she didn't discuss it,
他可能会改变主意 或者这就不会发生
he might change his mind or it might not happen or something.
听起来很像妮莎的风格
Sounds like Nessa.
她总喜欢把头埋进沙子做鸵鸟
She's always liked sticking her head in the sand.
至少朱利安在西班牙不是在打仗
At least Julian's not fighting in Spain.
昆廷说救护队同样危险
Quentin says the ambulance corps is every bit as dangerous.
我觉得这只是让妮莎稍感宽慰
I think it just makes Nessa feel better
她说服了他不要参加作战部队
that she persuaded him out of carrying a gun.
我妻子快死了
My wife is dying.
妮莎告诉过你吗
Did Nessa tell you that?
没
No.
-真遗憾 -乳腺癌 无力回天
- I'm so sorry... - Breast cancer, there's nothing to be done.
总而言之 我不是个好丈夫
I haven't been the best husband, all in all.
这或许是对我的审判
Perhaps it's a judgment on me,
但对瑞来说真是太不幸了 不是吗
but that'd be rather hard luck on Ray, wouldn't you say?
我 抱歉
I...I'm sorry.
你还太小 不该听这些
You're far too young to be hearing all this.
不 我不小了
No, I'm not.
"我开始创作一幅大型绘画
"I've embarked on a vast painting.
弗吉尼亚说我不自量力
"Virginia says I've bitten off more than I can chew,
所以我决意要证明她错了
"So I'm determined to prove her wrong.
克莱夫认为她的反战作品
"Clive thinks her anti-war book
导向错误又冷漠无情
is both wrong-headed and unsympathetic.
鉴于你认为他和我们其他人一样
"Since you consider him a craven pacifist,
是个怯懦的和平主义者
along with the rest of us,
你或许会大吃一惊
"Perhaps you'll be surprised.
邓肯担心
"Duncan worries that
画作太大 可能会搬不出画室
I shan't be able to get my canvas out of the studio,
因为我已经把画装框了
"since I stretched it in here on the frame.
天呐
"Oh, dear.
恐怕被他说中了"
"I fear he may be right."
小兔说他只是个二流作家 是真的吗
Bunny says he's only a second-rate writer. Is that true?
我已经好多年没读他的作品了 你呢 邓肯
I haven't read anything of his for years. Have you, Duncan?
我觉得他是在自谦
I think he's being modest.
我表示怀疑
I doubt that.
朱利安说他可能会回家过圣诞
Julian says he might get home for Christmas.
不知道这几个月的时间能否过快点儿
I wonder if the months will start to go more quickly.
安吉莉卡
Angelica...
你知道小兔和她在城里经常见面
You know Bunny's seen a fair bit of her up in town.
她看上去挺迷恋他的
She seems quite keen on him.
她什么都没和我提过啊
Well, she hasn't said anything to me.
她会吗
Would she, though?
你不觉得是时候出面谈谈了吗
You don't think you should have a word?
-跟谁谈 -我也不知道
- With whom? - I don't know.
跟他们任何一个 或两个一起