冲破囚笼
再等两天就行了 斯蒂芬小姐
Only two more days, Miss Stephen,
斯蒂芬家族四姐弟的顺序为
瓦妮莎 托比 弗吉尼亚 艾德里安
鳟鱼捕捞季就会开始了
until the opening of the trout fishing season.
真的吗
Is it really?
当然 至于海鳟 还要再晚些
Of course, for sea trout, it's rather later.
迪河上将会举♥行♥盛大的赛事
There's tremendous sport to be had on the Dee,
哪怕仅仅才二月
even as early as February.
瓦妮莎 因为你们可怜的父亲过世
It seems, Nessa, since your poor father's death,
你们的脸色似乎一个比一个苍白
that you have been campaigning to put yourselves beyond the pale.
好像搬离肯辛顿还不够似的
As if removing from Kensington were not enough...
有个问题 托比
There is the question, Thoby,
你就一个人 要怎么伴护你的姐♥妹♥们♥
of how your sisters are being chaperoned now you're alone.
我能分出的时间不多
I can only spare so much of my time.
伴护 天呐
Chaperoned, lord!
当然是由我负责
By me, of course.
我是法律界的支柱
A pillar of the legal profession.
我显然是足够体面端庄的
Surely I couldn't be more respectable.
但弗吉尼亚...
And Virginia's...
-比较体弱 -我现在好多了
- delicacy? - I'm perfectly well now.
只要弗吉尼亚吃好睡好就没问题
As long as Ginia feeds, and rests.
说实话 姑妈
Honestly, Aunt,
山羊是亲近的人
对弗吉尼亚的爱称
现在 小山羊也跟我们常人差不多了
the Goat's no madder than the rest of us...these days.
-艾德里安 -那并不合乎情理
- Adrian! - Which isn't sane, God knows.
但也只能将就了
But will simply have to do.
瓦妮莎把她照顾得很好
Nessa takes great care of her.
一直如此
Always.
我知道你每天都待在绘画学校
I understand you are at the painting schools every day.
不知你们可怜的父亲若是知道这样安排会作何感想
What your poor father would have thought of this arrangement,
我无法想像
I cannot imagine.
你抓过鳟鱼吗 斯蒂芬小姐
Have you ever caught a trout, Miss Stephen?
感谢上苍 精神失常让我免得经历这些屁事
Thank the Lord insanity exempts me from such nonsense.
小山羊
Goat.
玛丽姑妈不会罢休的
Aunt Mary won't rest
除非她成功把你嫁给一位拖家带口的乡绅
until she's married you off to some purple squire with a family.
你在做什么
Whatever are you doing?
重获自♥由♥
Freedom.
瓦妮莎
Nessa!
那些死气沉沉的对话
All the dead conversations,
死气沉沉的陋习
dead habits.
茶几 就不能喝一次咖啡吗
Tea tables! Why not coffee, for once?
一层一层恶心的亚麻布
The so ugly piles of linen.
我已经决定
I've decided,
我们应该用同一条手帕
we shall each just have the same napkin
直到太脏不能使用为止
until they're too dirty to use.
或是把所有手帕都丢掉
Or be rid of napkins entirely.
反正随时都可以洗脸
One can always wash one's face.
那是你早上喝的牛奶吗
Is that your milk from this morning?
是的 我忘喝了 有人能想着洗脸就不错了
Oh, yes, I must have forgotten it. If one even cares to wash!
取悦父亲这么多年
All those years of pleasing Father.
现在我们终于可以取悦自己了 似乎都不敢相信
It seems impossible to say we might be able to please ourselves now.
我该提醒你一下 妮莎
I should warn you, Nessa,
我大部分的朋友都很不习惯跟女性接触
that most of my friends are highly unused to females.
女性
Females.
真的难以预料
There's really no saying
他们在你和弗吉尼亚面前会是何种表现
how they'll behave in front of you and Ginia.
托比 你真觉得今晚的聚会好吗
Thoby, did you really think this evening is a good idea?
如果不好 那也不必重复了
Well, if it isn't, there's no need to repeat the experiment.
我想见见朋友们
I want to see my friends.
是你说
It was you who suggested
把你跟弗吉尼亚赶到楼上很荒唐
it would be ridiculous to banish you and Virginia upstairs.
就是的啊
Well, it would be.
社会
Society.
你知道我不擅言辞
I have no conversation, you know.
那你得靠外表取胜了
Then you must rely on your profile.
邓肯
Duncan,
托比对我来说更像是兄弟 而非朋友
Thoby is more a brother than a friend to me.
传闻他的姐妹兼具聪慧及美貌 不过
His sisters are reputed to be as clever as they are beautiful. Still,
让我们假设她们还没完全抛弃文明礼仪吧
let's presume they haven't abandoned civilisation entirely.
-里顿 -表弟
- Lytton! - Oh, cousins.
里顿·斯特拉奇和邓肯·格兰特
是表兄弟关系 并曾是恋人
你在这方面真是固执得令人厌烦
You're so tiresomely un-persuadable on that point.
放心 今晚一定会很开心的
Rest assured, it will be an evening of brilliant amusements.
-凯恩斯先生 -谢谢 斯蒂芬小姐
- Mr Keynes. - Thank you, Miss Stephen.
不过 仔细说起来
When you come down to it, though,
查尔德·哈罗德只会装腔作势说废话
Childe Harolde is a load of posturing nonsense.
出自拜伦作品《查尔德·哈罗德游记》
真令人厌恶
This is abominable.
也有很精彩的时候啊
Oh, it has its moments.
你必须承认拜伦的才华
You have to give Byron that.
但那远远比不上《唐·璜》
But it can't hold a candle to Don Juan,
尽管亚历山大诗行被撑到了极限
even if the Alexandrines are forced to breaking point.
谢谢你 斯蒂芬小姐 很美味
Thank you, Miss Stephen. How delicious.
格兰特先生
Mr Grant.
我可不能漏掉你
I mustn't leave you out.
现在我知道为什么
Now it becomes clear
你写文章进度这么慢了 斯特拉奇
why you've made such poor progress on your essay, Strachey.
那是你表弟
Your cousin?
我想跟他同处一室一定很容易分心
A distraction having him in the house, I imagine.
梅纳德 那是最甜蜜的煎熬
Torment, Maynard, of the most delectable kind.
-画得不是很好 -是啊
- It's not very good. - No.
但这一幅很不错
But this is.
是你画的吧
It's yours.
-真抱歉 -不用道歉
- I do apologise. - Please.
我情愿听真话 而非赞美
I'd much rather honesty than praise.
那比我勇敢多了
Braver than I am, then.
萨金特老师说我用的色彩太灰暗了
Mr. Sargent says all my things are too grey.
我就觉得曾在绘画学校见过你
I thought I saw you at the painting schools.
他就喜欢对别人的作品挑刺 不是吗
Everything's too something for him, isn't it?
太灰暗了 太缤纷了
Too grey, too tonal.
-太平面了 -是啊
- Too horizontal. - Yes!
我猜他真正的意思是
I suspect what he really means is,
那跟我的画作差别太大了
too unlike one of my paintings.
斯蒂芬小姐
Miss Stephen,
能劳烦你再给我一个美味无比的面包吗
might I trouble you for another of those remarkable buns?
没问题 贝尔先生
Of course, Mr Bell.
你的袜子很好看
I like your socks.
颜色很好看
The colour.
非常感谢
I'm so glad.
你弟弟却只会
Your brother loves nothing more than
取笑我的奢华衣着
to tease me for my sartorial flourishes.
-贝尔先生就是只可怕的小鹦鹉 -就是啊
- Mr Bell is a fearful parakeet. - Isn't he?
托比却最喜欢他
And yet Thoby is fonder of him than all the others.
一群无趣的男人啊
They're all so unattractive.
学者都这样
Scholars.
格兰特先生显然是他们之中
Mr Grant's certainly the only one of them
唯一让人想嫁的男人 你说呢
one could even begin to imagine marrying, don't you think?
我之前都不知道我们竟会考虑结婚的事呢
I was unaware either of us were contemplating matrimony.
我们不是想要逃离这一切束缚吗
Just when we're attempting our escape from all that.
格兰特先生的脑子还真的挺灵光的
Mr Grant has a fine head, it's true.
是啊 大概是因为
Yes, probably because it
他的大脑没被剑桥大学给摧残过吧
contains a brain un-deformed by Cambridge.
-我想我们终究还是要嫁为人妇的 -什么
- Still, we shall all marry eventually I suppose. - What?
生孩子 小山羊 性♥交♥
Children, Billy. Copulation.
你是认真的吗 我知道
No, really. I know
性♥交♥就是柏拉图说的鸡♥奸♥...
copulation is something like sodomy in Plato...
-你可以想象到的 -才不是
- Surely you can imagine. - No!
亲一个
Snout.
好极了 碰碰鼻子
Yes, on the snout.
答应我...
Promise...