Hail Earendel,
被派到人间最光明的天使
brightest of angels sent unto men.
罗纳德 罗纳德 起来
Ronald. Ronald, get up.
起来 是我 醒醒 醒醒
Get up. It's me. Wake up. Wake up.
我醒着
Yes, I'm awake.
你吵醒了整个学校的人
You've woken up the whole college.
他们不能开除我两次 对吧
They can't send me down twice, can they?
-控制你自己 -他们能吗
- Pull yourself together. - Can they?
乔弗 乔弗 坐下
Geoff! Geoff, sit down.
喝一杯 很不错的麦芽酒
Have a drink. Wonderful malt.
我不想喝酒 控制一下自己 约翰
I don't want a drink. Pull yourself together, John.
你愿意参加婚礼吗
Would you like to come to a wedding?
什么
What?
-非常美 英式... -约翰
- Very beautiful, English... - John...
-夏日婚礼 -你在胡言乱语
- summer wedding. - You're not making any sense.
伊迪丝的婚礼
Edith.
恭喜
Congratulations.
是啊 她给我写信 她...
Yes, she wrote to me. She's...
她订婚了
She's engaged.
她要结婚了
She's getting married.
约翰 这...
John, that's...
真是太不幸了
That's awfully bad luck.
我很抱歉 我现在一团糟
I'm sorry. I'm in a bit of a mess.
-不 没关系 -抱歉 乔弗
- No, that's okay. - Sorry, Geoff.
没事的 没事的
It's okay. It's okay.
没关系
That's okay.
有我在
I've got you.
有我在
I've got you.
击剑手敬礼
Fencers salute!
你感觉怎么样
How are you feeling?
棒极了
Absolutely fantastic.
愉快
Delightful.
这是多么绝妙的主意 谢谢你
And what a marvelous idea this was, thank you.
爱一个
To love someone,
不论何种原因不能回应你感情的人
who, for whatever reason, cannot return your feelings
很痛苦
is painful.
但如果你听诗人的
But if you listen to the poets,
或许那种爱有别样的美
perhaps there's a kind of beauty to that love.
炽烈的爱
It burns.
很明亮 而且从不被现实
Bright. And it's never tainted by reality or by...
或滥用沾染
overuse.
今天它如最开始一样
It's as clear and fierce today
纯净而狂热
as it was the very first day it began.
我想 这是一种美
And there's beauty to that, I think.
至少我坚持这样相信
At least, that's what I cling to, anyway.
致敬
Hails!
致敬
Hails!
又一个说天书的人
Another gobbledygook speaker.
你觉得《哥特语入门》怎么样
How are you, uh, finding the Gothic Primer?
不错 前言写得很好
Yes. Not bad. The preface is pretty well written.
语言本身没什么看头
There's not much of the language itself.
-真遗憾 -是的
- A pity about that. - Yes.
-昨晚在四方院... -老天 你也在
- Last night in the quad... - God. You were there.
我听到了一种我不熟悉的语言
I heard a language I was unfamiliar with.
当然了 大半个牛津郡都听到了
Well, of course, the greater part of Oxfordshire heard it too,
远至奇尔特恩丘陵
right up to the Chiltern Hills.
我那时醉得一塌糊涂
I was very drunk.
我毫不怀疑
I don't doubt it.
那完全是胡言乱语
It was utter nonsense.
我为精灵创造的一种语言
A language I invented for the fairies.
我好像听出了一些芬兰语
I thought perhaps I heard some Finnish.
是的 我偷了不少芬兰语
Yes. I stole a good deal.
-不是偷 -不是
- Not stole. - No.
语言从来不偷
Languages never steal.
-好吧 -受影响
- Right. - Influenced.
抱歉 我不知道你的名字 我是...
Sorry, I didn't catch your name. I'm...
我是托尔金 罗纳德 埃克塞特学院的
I'm Tolkien. Ronald. Exeter College.
请等一下
Excuse me.
小孩指物
A child points,
被教会一个词
and is taught a word.
树
Tree.
之后 他学会将这种树
Later, he learns to distinguish this tree
与其它树区分
from all the others.
他学到这种树的特定名称
He learns its particular name.
他在树下玩耍
He plays under the tree.
围绕树跳舞
He dances around it.
站在树枝下遮阳避雨
Stands beneath its branches, for shade or shelter.
他在树下亲吻 在树下睡觉
He kisses under it, he sleeps under it,
在树下结婚
he weds under it.
他在上战场的路上昂扬行过
He marches past it on his way to war,
又在回家的路上蹒跚走过
and limps back past it on his journey home.
据说有个国王躲在树中
A king is said to have hidden in this tree.
或许有个幽灵住在树皮下
A spirit may dwell within its bark.
这种独特的树叶
Its distinctive leaves
被刻在他的地主的坟墓或纪念碑上
are carved onto the tombs and monuments of his landlords.
这种木材可能建造了
Its wood might have built the galleons
拯救他的祖先免遭侵略的大帆船
that saved his ancestors from invasion.
所有这些
And all this,
普遍的和特殊的
the general and the specific,
国家的和个人的
the national and the personal,
所有这些
all this,
他知道的事
he knows,
体验的感觉
and feels,
振作的精神 尽管微弱模糊
and summons, somehow, however faintly,
却莫名地都能通过一个单音来表达
with the utterance of a single sound.
橡树
Oak.
撒克逊词汇 原始日耳曼语
Saxon word. Proto-Germanic.
古北欧语里的同源词 Eik
Cognates in Old Norse. Eik.
语言从来不是无意义的
Language is never nonsense.
语言充满意蕴
Language is meaning.
充满历史 层层叠叠
History. Layer upon layer upon layer.
一个没有意义的词算什么呢
And a word without meaning is what?
只是个发音而已
Merely a sound.
有个人曾经这么对我说过
Someone else once said that to me.
这个人一定说得更加简练
With a good deal more economy, I shouldn't wonder.
图书馆里有一两本哥特语原版书
There are one or two original Gothic texts in the library.
你应该看一看
You should take a look.
但我不能直接走进去借原版书
But I can't just walk in and ask for the originals.
跟他们说是莱特教授派你去的
Tell them Professor Wright sent you.
约瑟夫·莱特博士
牛津大学比较语言学副教授
牛津大学出版社
我才不在乎呢
I wouldn't have cared.
这不是重点
That's not the point.
他大概是最伟大的语言学家
He's probably the greatest philologist,
在哥特语方面绝对是
certainly of the Gothic language.
也许他感到有点荣幸
He might have even been flattered.
他当然感到荣幸了
Of course, he was flattered.
这本书1500年没被人从图书馆借出来过了
Nobody's taken that book out of the library in 1,500 years.
其实我上周刚借过
Well, actually, I had it out last week.
你觉得写得怎么样
How did you find it?
托勒斯还没看完 我不想干扰他
I don't want to spoil it for Tollers.
他编不下去了 他连书是谁写的都不知道
He won't finish it. He doesn't even know who wrote it.
拜托 你们能闭嘴吗 这不好笑
Please. Will you all just shut up? It's not funny.
听着 托尔金
Listen, Tolkien,
你这个蠢到家的笨蛋
you absolute clown.
这是你的机会 你没看出来吗
This is your chance, can't you see?
你的哥特语教授正在鼓励你叛变呢
Your Gothic professor is encouraging you to defect.
你在说什么
What are you talking about?
他在怂恿你去他的班级
He's enticing you into his class.
抱歉 抱歉
Sorry. Sorry.
他说得对
He's right.