但我不能直接信步走进语言学系
But I can't just breeze into the philology department.
有何不可
Why not?
首先因为我没有奖学金
Because I don't have a scholarship, for a start.
所以你是在跟我说语言学系
So, are you telling me that the philology department
不颁发奖学金吗
don't give out scholarships?
是啊 而且对象正好是个语言天才
Yes, for someone who happens to be a genius with languages.
白♥痴♥
Moron.
教授
Professor!
-打扰一下 莱特教授 -怎么了
- Excuse me, Professor Wright. - Yes.
我一直在想橡树这个词
I've been thinking about the oak.
它的象征意义
The symbolism of it.
守护神之树 变化的预兆
The guardian tree, the harbinger of change.
多么奇妙 你是学林木栽培的学生吗
How fascinating. Are you a student of arboriculture?
不 我是人文学院的 但我想...
No. I'm studying Greats. But I would like...
因此我才拦住了你
That's why I stopped you,
我想换到你的班级学习语言学
I'd like to change to your class to study philology.
-到我的班级 -是的
- To my class? - Yes.
是的 我叫托尔金 罗纳德·托尔金
Yes. I'm Tolkien. Ronald Tolkien.
我曾站在你的窗外 用一种蹩脚的芬兰语
I stood outside your window and shouted obscenities
大喊下流话
in a kind of bastardized Finnish.
你觉得那能构成推荐理由吗
And you consider that a recommendation?
我知道这不合常规
I know this is irregular,
但我发现了我真正的热情
but I've realized my true passion,
我这一辈子都在为之努力的事
the thing I've been working on my entire life...
我能坦白说吗 先生
Can I speak candidly, sir?
你想象不到我会有多欢迎你坦白
You cannot conceive how much I would welcome it.
我需要奖学金
I need a scholarship.
我需要奖学金来跟着你学习语言学
I need a scholarship to study philology. With you.
我愿意竭尽全力
And there are no lengths I wouldn't go to,
证明自己是一个配得上的学生
to prove that I'm a worthy candidate.
-竭尽全力 -是的
- No lengths? - Yes.
不行
No.
-不行 -不行
- No? - No.
不行 因为如果我让你安静工作
No, because if I left you alone to work in peace,
那我就无法拥有向你学习的荣幸
then I wouldn't get the privilege of learning from you,
那这整个 说实话相当骇人的插曲
and that would defeat the purpose of this entire,
它的目的就无法实现
frankly, quite terrifying, interlude.
-托尔金 -是 先生
- Tolkien. - Yes, sir.
-出自德语 -我想是的 先生
- German origin. - I think so, sir.
也许来自盎格鲁撒克逊语
From the Anglo-Saxon, perhaps.
-没错 -Tollkühn
- Exactly. - Tollkühn.
我想你不需要我
I'm assuming you don't need me
来为你翻译这个词
to translate that particular word for you.
是鲁莽的意思
Foolhardy.
莱特教授
Professor Wright...
我的班人满了 托尔金先生
My class is full, Mr. Tolkien.
满是翻译古英语的速度不比你慢
Full with students who can translate Old English,
并且至少和你同样熟练的学生
at least as quickly and skillfully as you,
他们已经通过两个学期证明了自己
and they've already had two terms to establish themselves.
午安
Good afternoon.
赫尔海姆
Helheimr.
教授
Professor.
从小时候起 我就一直被语言深深吸引
Since childhood, I have been fascinated with language.
为此而痴迷 我发明了自己的语言
Obsessed with it. I've invented my own.
完整全面的语言 请看
Full, complete languages. Look.
这是 一切
This is, it's... everything.
来自Breost-hord 我的心
From the Breost-hord. My heart.
内心中的珍宝
The treasure of the breast.
这些画是
And the drawings?
我编了故事 传说
I made stories. Legends.
毕竟 语言的目的是什么
After all, what is language for?
它不只是对事物进行命名 对吗
It's not just the naming of things, is it?
它是一种文化和一个民族的命脉
It's the lifeblood of a culture, a people.
-是的 正是如此 -正是如此
- Yes. Exactly. - Exactly.
你可以写一篇五千字的文章介绍
Could you write 5,000 words
《高文爵士与绿衣骑士》里古北欧语的元素吗
on the influence of Norse elements in Gawain?
当然可以 你什么时候要
Yes, absolutely. When would you like it by?
今晚之前
This evening.
今晚之前
This evening.
中土
Middle Earth.
这两位兄弟集结了战士"Both of these brothers marshaled the warriors.
他们叮嘱亲爱的同族们
They bid their dear kinsman through words
让他们必须在紧要关头坚持不懈
that they had to endure there in time of need,
是托尔金为甘道夫和矮人起名的灵感来源
利用手中的武器 毫不动摇
make use of their weapons without weakening"
你遵循诗句韵律的方式
The way you follow the rhythms of the poetry,
你对它的悟性
your sensitivity to it.
我得告诉你 托尔金先生
I have to tell you, Mr. Tolkien,
我从来没见过你这样的
I've never come across anything like it.
从来没有
Never.
"比尔斯沃德大声疾呼..."
"Byrthwold spoke out..."
"比斯沃德大声疾呼 挥舞着他的盾牌..."
"Byrthwold spoke out, brandished his shield..."
开战了 开战了 英格兰开战了
War! War! England's at war!
德国入侵了比利时
Germany's invaded Belgium!
他给予战士们最勇往直前的指示
"He instructed the warriors most boldly of all:
尽管我们的力量日渐衰弱
Courage must be the harder
但一定要勇气更加强大
heart the keener,
内心更加热切 意志更加坚定
spirits the greater, as our strength wanes.
这里躺着我们的主人 完全被切成块
Here lies our lord, entirely cut to pieces,
归于尘土的一位好人
a good man in the dirt."
加入军队
直到战争结束
比不合礼仪更加糟糕
这是不爱国的行为
加入祖国的军队
保卫祖国
每一位健康男性都需要加入
给你 克里斯
Here you go, Chris.
女士们先生们 有请罗伯特·吉尔森
Ladies and gentlemen, Robert Gilson.
吉尔森
Gilson!
难道你不邀我跳舞吗
Aren't you going to ask me to dance?
你是打赌输了吗
Did you lose a bet?
我其实已经招来了三处嫉妒的目光
I've had three envious glances already, actually.
人们肯定把你错当成了德国皇帝
People must have mistaken you for the Kaiser.
这是什么 战争还是下午茶舞会
What is this? A war or a tea dance?
-顶级的胡子 吉尔森 -谢谢了
- First-class mustache, Gilson. - Why, thank you.
-你需要一杯酒 年轻人 -很机灵嘛
- You need a drink, young man. - On the ball.
我想我们都在这了 托尔金
I think we're all here, Tolkien.
是的
Yes.
我们要干杯吗
Shall we make a toast?
敬TCBS未来所有的会面
To all the future T.C.B.S. meetings.
遍布欧洲
All across Europe.
干杯 先生们
Cheers, gentlemen.
-先生们 我能拍一张吗 -有何不可
- Gentlemen! May I? - I don't see why not.
向前看 托尔金
Eyes front, Tolkien.
看这里
And watch the birdie!
赫尔海姆
Helheimr!
我刚写了一部戏 一位法国女侍者
I've just written a play where a French waitress
和一位英国英雄疯狂地陷入了爱情
falls madly in love with an English hero.
你要是想演法国女侍者 得把胡子刮了
You'll have to shave if you want to play a French waitress.
-干杯 -永远不嫌多
- Cheers. - Never too many.
再来一杯
One more?
大家都赌怀斯曼会第一个睡着
All bets Wiseman goes to sleep first.
我要赌这个
I'll take that bet.
-赢钱容易 -喝苏格兰威士忌吗
- Easy money. - Scotch?
祝你好运 罗纳德
Good luck, Ronald.
我来拿吧
I'll take that.
我会尽量让船等你
I'll try and hold the ship.
-你弟弟怎么样 -他挺好的
- How's your brother? - He's fine.
他已经在法国了
He's in France already.
你怎么样 你的音乐事业怎么样
How about you? How's your music?
我在教钢琴
I teach piano.
大部分是教小女孩
Small girls, mostly.
弹得不是非常好
Not very good.
你还订婚了