- don't understand, Chris. - Thank you. This was wonderful.
你放弃了她
You let her go.
-比起她你更看中牛津 -不
- You didn't want her more than you wanted Oxford. - No.
-我别无选择 -你那么做算无赖吗
- I didn't have a choice. - Does that make you a rotter?
你那么做算什么
Does that make you something else?
-你是什么毛病 -闭嘴
- What's the matter with you? - Just shut up!
天啊 托勒斯
For God's sake, Tollers.
克里斯 抱歉 克里斯
Chris. Sorry, Chris.
-该死 托勒斯 -你没事吧
- Bloody hell, Tollers. - Are you all right?
作为一个知识分子
For an intellectual,
你这右勾拳够厉害的
you've quite an impressive right hook.
-你打回来 拜托 -不
- Hit me back. Please. - No.
-立刻打回来 拜托 克里斯 -算了
- Hit me back right now. Please, Chris.- Forget it.
-算了 -克里斯 拜托
- Forget it. - Chris, please.
没事
It's fine.
不 我太不应该了 对不起
No, that was horrible of me. I'm sorry.
你要明白的是
What you need to understand,
托尔金 你个可怜的不法孤儿
Tolkien, you... poor lawless orphan,
我们是你的兄弟
is that we are your brothers.
同甘共苦
Through everything.
是的 没错
Yes, absolutely.
正是这样
Exactly.
这不只是...友谊
This is more than... just a friendship.
这是同盟
It's an alliance.
无敌的同盟
An invincible alliance.
赫尔海姆
Helheimr!
-赫尔海姆 -还是赫尔海姆
- Helheimr. - Still Helheimr.
他每次都说错
Every time he gets it wrong.
好吧 我需要喝一杯
Right, I need a drink.
姑娘们都去哪了
Where did the girls go?
蹲下
Get down.
别关门 乔治
Hold the door, George.
他们把你完好放出来了
They let you out in one piece.
他们明早要找院长谈
They're speaking to the rector in the morning.
你呢
What about you?
吉尔森和怀斯曼 剑桥猪猡
Well, Gilson and Wiseman, the Cambridge swines,
已经被释放了
have been let go already.
我没那么幸运
I wasn't quite so lucky.
看来我明天要和你一起去院长办公室了
Looks like I'll be joining you in the rector's office tomorrow.
被教训死
Death by lecture.
抱歉 杰弗
I'm sorry, Geoff.
-这不是你的错 -不 这是我的错
- No, it's not your fault. - No, it is.
如果不是因为我
If it wasn't for me,
你现在就能怀抱可爱的玛丽了
you'd be in the arms of the delightful Mary by now.
拜托 我一表现出感兴趣
Please. The moment I showed any interest,
她就开始谈她的恋人
she started talking about her sweetheart.
我本来进展顺利 结果被怀斯曼毁了
I was doing all right until Wiseman ruined it.
院长真的要写信给我母亲
The rector was honestly writing to my mother.
你们觉得这之后我还能成为诗人吗
Do you think I stand a chance of becoming a poet after this?
她会发疯的 就是这样
She's going to lose her mind. So, that's that.
杰弗里只失去了事业
Geoffrey's only lost his career.
你呢 托尔金
What did you get, Tolkien?
我被开除了
I got sent down.
你在开玩笑吧 托勒斯
Are you joking, Tollers?
他们不能为那事就开除你
They can't send you down for that.
就因为在公交上野餐
For a bloody picnic on a bus.
公交那事是最不要紧的
The bus was the least of it.
我的成绩不达标
I haven't achieved the grades.
据院长说
According to the rector,
我没有研究人文科学的天分
I have no flair for the Greats,
只是对古希腊人有一时的兴趣而已
and only a passing interest in the ancient Greeks.
所以他们不会资助我奖学金
So, they won't endorse my scholarship.
好吧 但这不代表你必须退学
Yes, but that doesn't mean you have to go down.
当然不是 我真蠢
No, of course not. How stupid of me.
没错 等我妈从蒙特卡洛回来
Yes, when Mama gets back from Monte Carlo,
我会问她再要一张支票
I'll ask her to write another check.
你要怎么办
What are you going to do?
他们会资助我到学期末
They'll endorse my scholarship until the end of term.
那之后 我必须自费上学
After that, I have to finance my own studies.
那当然是不可能的
Which is, of course, impossible,
所以我应该会找份工作
so, get a job, I suppose.
做什么工作
Well, doing what?
我会回伯明翰 到面包店上班
I will go back to Birmingham and work in a bakery.
或者给你们这样的
Or I will make shoes for
挥舞着钱包进店的愚蠢富人做鞋
rich dimwits like you who come in waving their wallets.
我还真需要一双新的牛津鞋
I could do with a new pair of Oxfords, anyway.
不过 说真的
But, in all seriousness,
你一直比我们几个更有天分
you've always had more flair than any of us.
而且
And...
说实话
I'll be honest,
有时我真讨厌你这点
I sometimes hated you for it.
但是在我们几个当中
But, out of us all,
你是最不应该被开除的
you're the last person who should be sent down.
那明天就是我们最后一场比赛了
So, tomorrow is our last game.
我们会想念轻松击败你们的 伙计
We're gonna really miss thrashing you, chaps.
得了吧
Please.
怀斯曼 拦下他
Wiseman, stop him!
-干得好 托尔金 -谢谢
- Well done, Tolkien. - Thank you.
打得很精彩
Good game, boys.
-跑得漂亮 -干得不错 你个大傻瓜
- That was a beautiful run. - Well played, you big oaf.
你不是彻头彻尾的傻瓜 托勒斯
You weren't a total fool, Tollers.
比分是多少来着 怀斯曼
Sorry, what was the score, Wiseman?
干得漂亮 兄弟
Well played, lads.
你好 母亲
Hello, Mother.
-比赛很棒 乔弗里 -谢谢你能来
- Well played, Geoffrey. - Thank you for coming.
晚点还一起吃晚餐吗
Are we still on for dinner later?
是的 七点
Yes. Seven o'clock.
你父亲也会来
And your father will be there.
打扰一下 史密斯夫人
Excuse me, Mrs. Smith.
我能不能和你谈几句
I wondered if I might have a brief word.
怎么了
Well?
关于乔弗里 还有院长这件事
It's about Geoffrey and, um, this business with the rector.
这完全是误解
It's been the most dreadful misunderstanding.
如果你不介意 我不想谈这事
I'd prefer not to talk about that, if you don't mind.
那晚发生的事是我的责任
I'm responsible for everything that happened that night
我向你保证我已经被彻底惩罚了
and I assure you I've been thoroughly punished.
我想说 请不要苛责乔弗里
I'm trying to say, please don't make things harder on Geoffrey.
你是我认识的最勤奋的人之一
He's one of the most diligent people I know.
也是最善良的
And the kindest.
他特别努力想让你骄傲
He tries so hard to make you proud of him.
而且他有非凡的才能
And he has such exceptional talents.
我知道我说的话越界了...
I know I'm speaking out of line...
-那晚的事是你的责任吗 -是的
- And you were responsible? - Yes.
是的 而且我已经被开除了
Yes, and I've been sent down.
所以你无需再担心我的不良影响
So, you needn't worry about my influence anymore.
还有
And...
你...你刚刚说什么才能
What... What talents are you referring to?
他是诗人
He's a poet.
他已经有作品发表在学院杂♥志♥上
He's had his work published in college magazines.
告诉你这些他会杀了我的 但他真的很棒
He'd kill me for telling you this. But he's good.
祝你下午愉快
Good afternoon to you.
托尔金先生
Mr. Tolkien?
-你的信 -谢谢
- This is for you. - Thank you.
学生不准踩草坪
Students off the grass!
你知道现在几点了吗
Have you any idea what time it is?
你个老糊涂讨厌鬼
You silly old sod!
莱特 他是你的学生吗
I say, Wright, is he one of yours?
应该不是
I don't believe he is.
你个老糊涂...
You silly old...
离开草坪
Get off the lawn!
致敬埃兰迪尔