where he's just being shot from the waist up
你可以看到他做各种各样的动作
and you can just see him doing all kinds of stuff.
你就想说 "为什么不拍全呢"
And it's like, "Why aren't you getting that?"
但这也证明 当时用这些设备捕捉舞者是很新奇的事
But that's just how new the medium was to capturing dancers.
迈克尔为行业打破了传统思路
Michael opened the door for that.
还有在MV里面 好几次让MJ定格在那里
And every time they just kept freezing him in those brackets,
每次他走一会 他们就让他定格
and every time he'd walk, they froze him.
还有 每次当他唱了几句...
And every time he said something,
我有点失态了 因为我太爱他了
I just was losing my mind 'cause I loved him so much.
不过在《比利·简》中
But on "Billie Jean,"
我们觉得 "哦 他怎么会那么性感"
we was like, "Oh, he is super-duper-duper sexy."
MTV拒绝放映《比利·简》
MTV refused to play "Billie Jean."
他们说 "我们的受众群体 大部分是... 白人青少年
They said, "Well, our network appeals to, you know, white teenagers,
这不太符合我们的传统"
and this just really doesn't fit our format."
就是这样
This is it.
欢迎收看MTV音乐电视台
Welcome to MTV Music Television.
我是马克·古德曼
I'm Mark Goodman.
-我是玛莎·奎恩 -我是艾伦·亨特
-I'm Martha Quinn. -I'm Alan Hunter.
每次收看音乐的方式与众不同
You'll never look at music the same way again.
打开它 一直开着
Turn it on! Leave it on!
美国 看你想看的音乐
America, see the music you want to see.
我想看我的MTV
I want my MTV.
一些著名的黑人音乐家在抱怨
Some prominent Black musicians are complaining
他们被视频行业所排挤
that they are being left out of the video market,
特别是 音乐电视有线电视业务
specifically the Music Television cable operation.
我看了过去几个月的MTV 我突然意识到
It-it occurred to me, having watched MTV over the last few months,
这… 这个企业的实力过硬 而且它有很多优势
That it's-it's got a... it's a solid enterprise and it's got a lot going for it.
我感到震惊的是 有这么多的黑人艺术家...
I'm just floored by the fact that there's so many Bl...
很少有黑人艺术家在那上面得到推荐
so few Black artists featured on it.
为什么会这样
Why is that?
坦率地说 我们是一个摇滚电台
The fact is, quite frankly, we're a rock and roll station.
直到世界末日 MTV都不愿意承认
MTV will deny this till the world ends,
他们对黑人艺术家具有偏见
that they had nothing against Black artists.
但是他们拒绝播放迈克尔的歌♥曲
But they refused to, uh, play Michael.
在1975年 我被任命为哥伦比亚唱片集团的总裁
In 1975, I was named president of the CBS Records Group
和哥伦比亚广播公♥司♥的副总裁
and a vice president of CBS, Inc.
没有任何唱片能像迈克尔·杰克逊的《颤栗》一样
No single record changed the business and my life
如此强烈地改变了这个行业和我的生活
as powerfully as Michael Jackson's Thriller.
当MTV拒绝播放他的MV时
I screamed bloody murder
我尖叫着抗♥议♥ 异常气愤
when MTV refused to air his videos.
他们辩称 他们的传统是"白人摇滚"
They argued that their format, white rock,
不适合迈克尔的音乐
excluded Michael's music.
我认为他们是种族主义混♥蛋♥
I argued they were racist assholes.
沃尔特·耶特尼科夫说
So Walter Yetnikoff said,
是吗 那好
"Really? Okay.
如果你不放迈克尔·杰克逊的歌♥
If you don't play Michael Jackson,
我就撤下比利·乔尔和我手上的所有其他人
I'm pulling Billy Joel and everybody else that I have,
离开MTV
off of MTV."
我从来没有如此强势或刻薄过
I've never been more forceful or obnoxious.
我也从来没有过这么强的执行力
I've also never been as effective.
在昆西·琼斯的额外压♥迫♥下 他们屈服了
With added pressure from Quincy Jones, they caved in,
在这之后 MTV的肤色门槛彻底被打破了
and in doing so, the MTV color line came crashing down.
关于《颤栗》最重要一件事情的是
One of the most important things about Thriller
是它打开了大门
was the doors that it opened
让其他艺术家有机会
for other artists to have the opportunity
登上流行音乐排行榜
to get on the pop charts.
蒂娜·特纳 我的天 独♥立♥舞者
Tina Turner. My God, Private Dancer.
这个榜终于像样了
That's who it was.
有蒂娜 还有莱昂内尔 惠特尼
It was Tina, it was Lionel, it was Whitney,
以及迈克尔 还有普林斯
it was Michael and Prince.
他们的收益会很疯狂
Revenues could just be crazy.
《颤栗》在剧情和文化上有了新的突破
Thriller changes the dynamic and the culture.
迈克尔证明了这种可能性
Michael shows the way that this is possible.
是的 我是在《颤栗》发行的那段时期长大的
Yeah, I-I grew up, uh, during the time that Thriller was released,
而那时MTV正变得越来越重要
and MTV was just becoming a really big thing.
我记得更为清晰的是
I remember almost more vividly
那些通过音乐视频传达的令人惊叹的故事
the amazing storytelling through the videos,
这很有趣 因为我认为
which is pretty interesting 'cause I think
四十年后的今天 音乐和视频
here we are 40 years later, and the music and the video
开始在TikTok上重现生命力 为下一代带来新的生机
is coming to life again for the next generation on TikTok.
迈克尔·杰克逊的音乐自2020年8月起 在TikTok上可用
Michael Jackson's music has been available on TikTok since August 2020.
我认为这张专辑中这些歌♥曲和视频
I think there's a real rebirth of the music and the video
正在经历的一次真正的重生
from these songs on the album.
正是这新一代人 在开始接触这些音乐 并参与到其中
And it is this new generation that's being exposed or engaging with the music.
目前在TikTok上有大约一千万个
There are about ten million video creations
包含《颤栗》专辑歌♥曲的视频作品
on TikTok right now that include music from Thriller.
这其中的一千万个视频 已经累计了170亿次观看
There are 17 billion views of those ten million videos that exist.
这些视频获得了大约20亿个赞
There are about two billion likes on those videos,
人们会点赞视频或分享视频 来表达对这个音乐的喜爱
so people putting a little thumbs-up or sharing or doing something to say, "I'm excited about this.
表达自己沉浸在这音乐中
I'm engaging with this-this music."
这是相当庞大的数字
Pretty massive numbers.
他们第一次听到这些首歌♥
They're hearing it for the first time.
他们 他们就像...
They're-they're like...
你知道 这可能就像是我们当时在
You know, it's-it's the same feeling we maybe had
观看《颤栗》或《避开》MV时的感觉
when we watched the MTV video for "Thriller" or "Beat It."
40年后 他们依然也会有同样的经历
They're having that same experience 40 years later,
但与其只是观看 他们实际上
but rather than just watch, they're actually
在制♥作♥一些内容 来与这首音乐互动
then making something to engage with that music.
我对我听到的关于MTV的消息感到有些沮丧
I was kind of upset about the news the news I heard about MTV
他们不播放黑人艺术家的节目 这令我很心痛
and how they weren't showing Blacks, and that kind of hurt me.
所以我想做一些 具有影响力 非常强势的事情
So I wanted to do something that was so powerful, so strong
每个人都必须能看到它的传播
that everybody would have to show it.
我想要讲述一个强大的故事
But I wanted to tell a strong story.
这个故事必须让人信服
The story had to sell itself.
然而... 那些所谓的音乐视频却做不到这一点
And what... these so-called videos weren't doing that.
它们很糟糕
They were terrible.
它们只是把一堆毫无意义的东西拼凑在一起 只为了推销一首歌♥
They were just a lot of nothing put together just to sell a song.
我希望我做出来的能强有力
I wanted my things to be powerful.
我想让它能脱颖而出
I wanted to stand out from everything else
当你看到它时 你会跑到电视前
that when you see it, you run to the set
并黏在那里 全神贯注地看着它
and you're glued to it, watching it.
我想要质量 我想要卓越
I wanted quality. I wanted excellence.
我想要最好的 我要的是完美中的完美
I wanted the best. I wanted to perfect perfection.
关于迈克尔 我总能说的一点是
One thing that I can always say about Michael
在他这 你能感觉到一种文化的氛围
is that you felt like there was a sense of culture.
而这种文化跨度很大 它从百老汇这种...
And the culture would span all the way from kind of like this Broadway,
再跨越到更戏剧化的世界
you know, more theatrical world,
一直延伸到另一种文化元素
and then there was this other element that was cultural,
就像真的黑帮一样
that was almost like gangsters.
你知道 当你看《避开》的时候
You know, when you look at "Beat It"
那个时代的人们会觉得
and the idea that the people of that era felt like,
哦 他在和我们说话 和我们在一起
"Oh, he's speaking to us and with us.
他与我们共舞 他在为我们创作音乐
He's rocking with us. He's making music for us.
我们可以跳他的音乐
We can dance to his music."
这是一个令人难以置信的决定
It was an incredible move to decide,
我们要在这个专辑上 放一首摇滚歌♥曲
"We're gonna have a rock and roll record on this thing."
《避开》是纯粹的摇滚
"Beat It" was straight up rock and roll.
迈克尔制♥作♥《避开》的想法是
Michael's idea with "Beat It"
让自己远离《墙外》的束缚
was to distance himself from Off the Wall,
摆脱舞蹈 迪斯科
from the dance, disco.
迈克尔想要有所突破
And Michael wanted to stretch.
创造性地拓展新领域
Creatively, he wanted to stretch.
他们希望这是一个跨界的成功
They wanted a crossover hit across the board.
摇滚 R&B 流行乐
Rock, R and B, pop.
他们叫我过去和迈克尔 还有昆西一起做…
They called me to come in with Michael and Quincy to do the...
他们想走摇滚路线 我们就去做吧
They want to go rock and roll, let's do it.
所以.. 我所有的工作我都会全力以赴
You know, so I did it with all... you know, all-all that,
不断强化效果 让它听起来很强势
doubled it and made it sound huge.
然后我也在里面弹了贝斯
And then I played the bass on it as well.
我确实在那首歌♥里弹了贝斯
I did play bass on that record as well.
所以我和他们一起坐下来 打造出那个节奏
电影精选列表