My attitude was: I want the biggest-selling album of all times,
打破记录 做出惊人的作品
to break records, to do phenomenal work.
我带着愤怒开始
I came in angry.
迈克尔在创作
Michael was writing.
他正在写词 他愤怒不已
He was writing. He was fuming.
他仍然对这个结果感到不满
He was still upset about this idea that he would be denied,
即《墙外》没有获得那些个奖项
you know, major awards for Off the Wall.
我记得他们制♥作♥这张专辑时的整个过程
I just remember all of the, the process of when they were doing it.
还有... 在录制过程中 充满了激动和兴奋
And the, uh... the excitement while they're recording,
从听到关于专辑的传闻 到 带着它进进出出录音室时的兴奋 我都记忆犹新
just, you know... just hearing tales, you know, as they're coming in and out of the studio with it.
Westlake是个很棒的工作室
Westlake was a really great studio
因为你感觉到这个场所散发出一种温暖 友好和轻松
because y-you felt the facility had this warmth and this friendliness
这种友好 和随意让你放松的感觉
and this casual put-you-at-ease feeling.
那里有一种令人难以置信的氛围
There was just the most incredible vibe.
让你可以在创作上完全自♥由♥发挥
Where you could just be creatively free to-to take...
将音乐引向任何你想要的方向
take the music wherever you wanted.
这是圣地 我曾经... 我经常在这里
This is hallowed ground. I was... I was in here a lot
因为昆西在这里制♥作♥了很多唱片
'cause Quincy made a lot of records in here.
《墙外》就是在这里制♥作♥的
Off the Wall was made in here.
当然还有《颤栗》
Certainly Thriller.
昆西在这里工作了很多次
Quincy worked in here a lot.
昆西对我们一生中所做的一切都产生了影响
Quincy influenced everything we've ever done in our lives.
-无论你是否能听到 -没错
-Whether you can hear it or not. -Exactly.
对音乐的深刻理解
Depth of understanding of music.
这就是使昆西成为昆西的原因
That's what makes Quincy Quincy.
他做过大乐队 他做过小乐队
He's done big band. He's done small bands.
他做过流行 他做过摇滚 他什么都做过
He's done pop. He's done rock. He's done everything.
因此 理解所有这些不同的流派
So, just understanding all those different genres
以及 懂得如何将它们融合在一起
and-and how to fuse them all together
正是让你在迈克尔·杰克逊的唱片中得到所有这些美妙应用的原因
is what gives you all these wonderful applications that you get on a Michael Jackson record.
那个声音是由...
And that sound was ma...
布鲁斯·斯维丁在整体音效方面
You know, Bruce Swedien had a lot to do with
起了很大的作用
how that overall sound was--
回声 混响以及...他安排事物的方式
the echo and the reverbs and the... the way he would place things.
而他们都感到兴奋
And they were excited.
在我们制♥作♥这张唱片的时候
As we were making the record,
你能感觉到房♥间里充满了兴奋
you could feel the excitement in the room.
大家都知道我们正在做一些特别的事情
Knowing that we were doing something that was gonna be special.
哇 我甚至不知道从哪里开始
Wow, I don't even know where to begin.
我只记得来到这个录音室
I just remember coming here to this studio,
这里就像是第二个家一样
which was like a second home,
然后我走进来 听着罗德·坦普顿提供的小样
and coming in, listening to, uh, the demos that Rod Temperton would provide.
然后我们就开始在音乐上雕琢
And we would just start to carve musically
然后... 逐渐深入小样中的细节
and-and work our way into the details of the demos.
罗德·坦普顿
Rod Temperton.
这个家伙太出色了
This guy was brilliant.
他有深厚的功底
I mean, he was deep.
我喜欢罗德·坦普顿 他创作了令人难以置信的歌♥曲
I love Rod Temperton. He wrote incredible songs,
而且他是昆西... 团队的重要成员
and he was a part of Quincy's, you know, tight team.
在《女孩是我的》中 我们使用了许多有趣的音效
We did a lot of funky sounds on "Baby Be Mine."
昆西一直在寻找...
Quincy was just looking for...
他总是在寻找一些不同寻常的东西
He's always looking for something different.
所以我们被邀请进来是因为...
So we were brought in because it was...
我认为昆西知道MTV
I think Quincy knew about MTV,
他在寻找一种电影化的东西
and he was looking for a cinematic thing
因为昆西出身于电影
'cause Quincy came from film.
当迈克尔想要一种... 他知道的他想要的音效
When Michael would want... he knew things that he would want for sounds.
然后 他会把它放在唱机上播放
And, uh, he would put it on a record player and play it.
然后我会说 "好吧 让我去拿另一个合成器"
And then I'd say, "Well, let me go get that other synth."
于是它可能在停在韦斯特莱克的停车场的卡车里
So it would be in the truck, parked in the parking lot of Westlake,
或者在走廊里
or it would be in the hallway.
我们在走廊上排着铁盒
We had Anvil Cases lined up the hall,
基本上是占领了这个地方
and we just basically took over the place.
我们创造出各种音效
And we were creating sounds
然后大规模地使用合成器
and using synthesizers in-in kind of a big way
取代了管弦乐队
and replacing orchestra.
所以 还有件事就是 关于迈克尔作为一名歌♥曲创作者的发展
So, one of the things that I noticed about Michael's development as a songwriter,
我注意到他在节奏和和声方面变得更加高级
I-I saw him getting more rhythmically and harmonically advanced,
不断地向前迈进 一步又一步
taking steps forward and forward and forward.
他的才华不仅在歌♥手方面得到发展
His talent was not only developing as a singer.
-他在... 作为一位表演者也得到了发展 -是的
-He developed as a...as an entertainer. -Yes.
有趣的是 你们居然选了这个房♥间
It's funny you guys should have picked this room,
因为我在这里走着 你知道 然后我...
'cause I'm walking through here, you know, and I-I just...
你知道 我就看到了
you know, I'm just seeing.
我几乎可以将他的精神
I can... I almost, um, channel him,
-引导到这个房♥间里 -是的
-his spirit into this room. -Yeah.
他让我们有所准备
He had us prepared.
-我们准备好了 -毫无疑问
-We were prepared. -No question.
他会准备好开始再进来
And he would come in ready to go.
他是那种拥有令人敬畏的职业操守的人
He was the kind of individual that, uh, had a awesome work ethic.
这个过程♥真♥的是一次冒险
The process was quite a, uh, adventure
因为大多数人忘记了
'cause most people forget that
专辑的第一支单曲是《女孩是我的》
the first single from the album was "The Girl Is Mine."
显然 世界上没有比保罗·麦卡特尼更大的明星了
Obviously, you had no bigger star in the world than Paul McCartney.
你知道 迈克尔和保罗的组合
And, you know, the pairing of Michael and Paul,
有什么比这更好的旗帜引领来启动一个项目呢
what better flag waver to get a project started?
开始吧 约翰 可以开始了
Yeah, hit it, John. Hit it, John.
所以我们接到了电♥话♥
So we get the call.
就像 保罗·麦卡特尼和迈克尔·杰克逊
It's, like, Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson.
我是说 再也没有比这更大的了
I mean, it just didn't get any bigger than that,
所以我们有点像
so we were kind of like,
哦 天哪 我们该怎么办
"Oh, holy shit. What are we gonna do?
这到底是怎么一回事
What's this gonna be all about?"
当保罗·麦卡特尼走进房♥间时
When Paul McCartney walked in the room,
能感受到 有明显的能力变化
there was a palpable change of energy of:
哦 天哪 那是保罗·麦卡特尼
"Oh, my God, that's Paul McCartney."
-完美 -耶
-Beautiful. -Yeah.
再来一遍吧 伙计 从第二节开始
Do that one more time, man, from the second verse.
那是一个美好的日子
Uh, that was a wonderful day.
对我来说 那是改变我一生的一天
For me, it was a day that changed my life.
我身处于音乐业中最伟大 最成功的人物之间
I was in the presence of the greatest, most successful people in the music business.
有保罗·麦卡特尼 迈克尔·杰克逊 昆西·琼斯
Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones.
还有乔治·马丁也在那里
George Martin was there.
由于它优美的旋律
Because of its catchy melody,
很多人认为《女孩是我的》是保罗·麦卡特尼创作的
many think "The Girl Is Mine" was written by Paul McCartney,
事实上 这其实是迈克尔·杰克逊创作的
when, in fact, it was composed by Michael Jackson.
一旦音乐开始流动
Once the music started flowing,
他们就像是和老朋友一样
it was like here's two old friends.
在《墙外》之后
Coming out of Off the Wall,
面临的挑战是
the challenge was:
迈克尔·杰克逊究竟是真正的流行巨星
Is Michael Jackson really a pop star,
还是说 仅是一位R&B艺术家
or is he just a big R and B artist?
实际上 情况是这样的
The way it worked was that
在登上流行榜前 你一直是一位黑人艺术家
you were a Black artist until you weren't,
而当你登上流行榜时 你就不再是了
and you weren't when you got on the pop charts.
迈克尔告诉我
Michael told me
《女孩是我的》是他的出奇制胜之计
"The Girl Is Mine" was his sneak attack.
他知道自己想要跨界
He knew he wanted to cross over,
而有什么比和保罗·麦卡特尼合作更好的方式呢
And what better way to do it than to have Paul McCartney?
这些我都听过了 迈克尔
I've heard it all before, Michael.
她告诉我 我是她永远的爱人 你知道吗
She told me that I'm her forever lover, you know?
你不记得了吗
Don't you remember?
在爱上我之后
Well, after loving me,
她说了 她不会再爱别人了
she said she couldn't love another.
她是这么说的吗
Is that what she said?
是的 她说了 你痴心妄想
Yeah, she said it. You keep dreaming.
所以 那次与迈克尔和保罗的最初会面 是在四月
So, that initial session with Michael and Paul happens in April.
其实《颤栗》专辑的正式录音会在几个月后才开始
The actual formal sessions for Thriller didn't start for a couple months later.
是的 迈克尔是在他的私人录音室录制的小样
Yeah, Michael, uh, did the demos at-at his home studio.
昆西邀请我去迈克尔的家里
Quincy invited me to go to Michael's house
去听一些小样
电影精选列表