Morning, Tom.
早上好,汤姆
Paul?
保罗?
Yes, mum?
什么事,妈妈?
What you doing down so early, son?
你一大早在这干嘛,儿子?
I was finishing this.
我在画这个
My picture? You finished that last night.
我的画像?你昨晚就画完了
Well, I changed it a bit. Look.
我修改了一点,你看
Bless my soul. Whenever did you see me in a hat like that?
我的天哪,你什么时候见过我戴那样的帽子
The moment I woke up. I suddenly said to myself,
我醒来的那一刻,我突然对自己说
"that's not my mother in that nubbly old bonnet!"
“戴着那破旧帽子的女人可不能是我妈!”
It's my bonnet. What's the matter with it?
那就是我的帽子,它有什么不好?
well, I thought it could do with a pick-me-up, that one.
好吧,我觉得它可能起到一个提神醒脑的作用
I'll box your ears for impudence.
小心我打你一耳光,如此无礼
Putting me in that sort of Bobby-dazzler.
把我画得那么花里胡哨
You love it, my pigeon.You know you do.
你喜欢我的画,我的小鸽子,你知道你喜欢
If you were wearin' that, and I was walkin' down the street behind you,
如果你带着那样一顶帽子,而我正好在街上走在你身后
I'd say,"doesn't that little person fancy herself?"
我会在你背后说“那个小人儿肯定觉得自己漂亮极了?”
Well, she doesn't.She's not at all sure that it suits her.
呃呃,她不觉得,她甚至不确定那帽子适合她
I suppose you'd rather be in dirty black, looking as though you were wrapped in burnt paper.
我想你更愿意脏兮兮的,看起来好像被烧焦的纸包裹着
To me, it's right for you.
对我来说,它很适合你
-It's too young for me. -Oh, it's too young, is it?
-它对我来说太俏皮了 -噢,太俏皮,是吗?
Why don't you buy some false white hair and stick it on your head?
那你干嘛不直接买♥♥一些白假发贴在你脑门上呢?
-I'll be white soon enough. -Don't you dare!
-我的头发很快就会变得那样白 -你敢!
What would I want with a white-haired mother?
我要一个白发苍苍的母亲干嘛?
Paul, don't. Not those knives.Go on. I'll manage.
保罗,别,不是那些刀。你继续吧,我会处理的
All right. If you don't need me, I'll go on.
行,如果你不需要我,我会走的
-Where are you going, son? -To see Miriam.
-你要去哪儿,孩子? -去见米丽亚姆
Can't you wait till you've had your breakfast?
你不能先吃完早餐再去吗?
I've had some toast. That's all I want.
我吃了点吐司,那些就够了
Miriam Leivers must be marvelously fascinating
米里亚姆·莱弗斯一定是非常迷人
if you can't wait till the sun's up
以至于连太阳都还没升起你就等不及
before you go traipsing off to that farm again.
再到她那个农场闲逛
Well, I like Miriam.
我喜欢米里亚姆
Uh, I'll start work next week, and I won't see her for a while.
我下个星期就要开始工作了,有一段时间不能见她了
Like her?
喜欢她?
Seems there's no one else for you but her now.
就好像除了她就没有人适合你了
Oh, nonsense, mother. You talk as if we're lovers.
你在说什么,妈妈,你说的好像我跟她是恋人一样
She doesn't even walk with my arm.
她甚至散步都不会挽着我的手
Why are you always flying off to her, then?
那你为什么总是急着去找她呢?
I like to talk to her.
我喜欢跟她交谈
Is there no one else to talk to?
你不能跟其他人交谈吗?
-Not about the things we talk of. -What things?
-我们聊的内容跟别人聊不到一块去 -聊的什么?
Painting and books.You don't care about Herbert Spencer or Robert--
绘画和书籍,你不关注赫伯特·斯宾塞或罗伯特...
how do you know I don't care about Herbert Spencer? Do you ever try me?
你怎么知道我不关注赫伯特·斯宾塞?你有跟我聊过他吗?
Mother, it's different.Miriam and I are young--
妈妈,那不一样,米丽娅姆和我都是年轻人...
and I'm old. Now we get to the truth of it.
而我是老年人,现在我们知道真♥相♥是什么了
And it's not in that drawing.
但它没在那张画像中体现出来
Yes, I may stand aside. I'm only good enough to wait on you.
是的,我可能靠边站,我只够伺候你的
Miriam has all the rest.
米里亚姆拥有之后的一切
-They're coming down,and the kettle not boiling. -Good-bye, mum.
-你♥爸♥爸他们要下来了,水壶没有烧开 -再见,妈妈
Oh.
噢
Here, dad.Look at Paul's latest.
你看,爸爸 ,看看保罗的最新作品
-Who's it supposed to be, then? -You know well enough,and I think it's good.
-那这画的是谁? -你很清楚,我觉得画的很好
You'd look a proper Gabby, you would,dressed in a bonnet like that.
你看起来像个真正爱说话的人,如果你带着这样一顶帽子的话
I don't see why.
我不那么认为
-Are you limping, son? -Oh, it's nothing, mother.
-你腿疼吗,儿子? -噢,没什么,妈妈
They was betting me last night I couldn't dive into the canal off of the bridge.
他们昨天跟我打赌说不我不能从桥上跳进运河里
-And you did? -Aye, I went right to the bottom.
-然后你干了? -是的,我直接潜到了河底
Scraped my knee on some old tin cans.
我的膝盖被一些旧铁罐划伤了
-But I won two shillings. -You're a wild one.
-但我赢了两先令 -你真够野
Two Bob, eh? You be in the moon and stars tonight?
两先令,鲍勃,嗯?你今晚去星月酒吧吗?
Oh, I thought I might take mother to the fair.
噢,我想我会带妈妈去集市
-Hey, mother,do you want to come to the fair? -I'll see.
-嗨,妈妈,你想去集市吗? -我想想
Take your dad to a pint in the stars first, son.
先带你老爸去酒吧喝一杯吧,儿子
I might, at that.
我可能会这样
-Dad, you've spoiled it. -What?
-爸爸,你弄脏了它 -什么?
-The sketch. -Oh, oh.We'll soon get that right.
-这素描 -哦,哦,我们很快就会把它恢复原样
Give it here.
用这个擦擦
No, no, no.You're making it worse.
不不不,你把它弄得更糟了
What are you doing with that?
你对它做了什么?
Nothing, lass.Just a little accident.We'll soon have it.
没什么,就是点小意外,很快就能搞定
-You've ruined it. -Well, he can soon knock off another, can't he?
-你毁了它 -好吧,他很快就能画张新的,不是吗?
He's got nothing else to do but lie up there in bed.
除了画画就是躺在床上
He was up hours before you,working on this sketch you've just spoiled.
他比你早几个小时就起来画这张被你糟蹋了的画了
And how much were we going to get for that?
那素描能值多少钱呢?
He'll bring home his share when he starts work next week.
他会给家里赚钱的,他下个星期开始工作
Work? that lad doesn't know what work is.
工作?那个家伙根本不知道什么是工作
Sitting on his bottom all week in an office.
他的屁♥股♥整天坐在写♥字♥楼♥里
scholarships and holidays and spouting algebra,
奖学金和假期和喋喋不休地谈论代数
while we're sweating down there like suffocating bats.
当我们在那下面像只呼吸困难的蝙蝠一样累地要死
Aye. Well, hurry up and stop your shouting,'cause we're late.
诶,赶紧的别再大喊大叫了,我们要迟到了
He only shouts when he knows he's in the wrong.
当他做错了事他就只知道大喊大叫
He's only getting half as much as Arthur anyway.
无论如何,他连亚瑟的一半都比不上
Now, if that lad was to go down the pit
现在,这家伙哪天要是到下矿井干活
he's not going down the pit, and you know it.
他是不会到那儿工作的,你知道
He's going to earn decent money one day.
他有一天会有一份体面的薪酬
Decent? What we get's indecent, I suppose?
体面?我们赚的是不体面的钱,是这意思吗?
Come on, dad, and stop your shouting.
走吧,爸爸,别再喊了
And I'm keeping him where he'll get his chance--
我会确保他能够得到他的机会
above the ground.
脚踏实地
Oh! Oh, it's you.
噢!是你
Oh. Good morning, my lady.You look more beautiful than ever.
早上好,我的小姐,你现在比任何时候都美
I'm sure she's the dark lady of the sonnets.
我敢肯定她就是莎士比亚十四行诗里的黑夫人
Oh, no.She's the lady of the lake.
不,她是湖之仙女
Ha, ha, ha.Oh, it's good to be up here.
很高兴来到这里
When I came up this morning,
当我今天早上起来的时候
I stopped for a moment to look off at Nottingham in the distance.
我停下来眺望了远处的诺丁汉一会儿
And I imagined it to be London.I saw myself in my own studio by the river.
我想象那里是伦敦,我看见我自己的工作室屹立于河畔
-Painting beautiful women all day. -Huh. No.
-整天都在画美女 -不
Painting life,real people and real things, wherever I find them.
画人生,真实的人和真实的事,无论我在哪里找到他们
-That's what you want more than anything, isn't it? -Yes.
-那是你最想做的事情,对吗? -是的
But the place where you were born and grew up isn't so easy to throw off.
但是这个你出生和长大的地方没那么容易扔开
my mother's had a very hard time.
我妈妈过着苦日子
I owe her a great deal, and I want to repay her somehow.
我亏欠她很多,我想要回报她
I want to do something too.
我也想做些什么
I want a chance to be somebody.
我想成为一个有用之人
Oh.
噢
I forgot to bring that book of Shelley. Oh.
我忘了带雪莱那本书
I'll bring it tomorrow.
我明天再带来
You know, my mother disapproves more and more
你知道,我妈妈越来越反对
of the books you bring.
你带来的那些书
She blames you for putting ideas into my head.
她怪罪你给我灌输不同的思想
Does she think heaven frowns on ideas?
她是否反对天堂的说法呢?
Your mother breathes religion through her nostrils.
你妈妈连呼吸都散发着宗教的气息
Do you think that's wrong?
你认为这是错误的吗?
It's not religious just to be religious.
这不是为了宗教而宗教
I think a crow is religious as it sails across the sky.
我认为当乌鸦划过天空时也是笃信宗教的
It's showing the glory of god, but it doesn't know it.
它彰显了上帝的荣耀,虽然它自己不并不知道
God doesn't know things.He is things.
上帝不知万物,祂自身就是万物
I don't think my mother would understand that.
我不认为我母亲会明白的
But I do.
但我明白
Looking at you now,there's more religion in you...
现在看着你,你的信仰
Than your mother could ever learn from the saints.
比你母亲从圣人那学到的还要多?
what is it?
那是什么?
It's the mine!
是矿井!
Jimmy, you all right?
吉米,你还好吗?
My son?
我的孩子?
My son.
我的孩子
-It's a sad homecoming for you, William. -Yes, mother.
-威廉,这对你来说是一次悲伤的归来 -是的,妈妈
I'll put the kettle on.
我去把水壶放上
电影精选列表