说着不同的语言 大喊大笑
Speaking different languages, and shouting, and laughing,
这让我的耳朵很痛
that it makes my ears hurt.
街道上都是马车和汽车
And the streets were so full of carriages and automobiles
有时候挤得我们几乎不能动弹
that there were times when we could hardly move.
加德舅舅说下个月
Uncle gard says that next month
一种地下火车将要开通了
an underground train will open.
它被称为地铁
It's called a subway,
它可以把一个人从市政厅
and it can take a person from city hall
不到15分钟就送到哈莱姆草地
to the Harlem meadows in less than 15 minutes.
难以置信
Imagine that!
对了 我按照你说的试吃了栗子
Oh, and I tried the chestnuts like you said.
我还是更喜欢它闻着的味道
I like the smell better than the taste.
你好 -你好
Hello. - Hello.
请给我一个
One, please.
拿好了 小姐
There you go, miss.
谢谢你 先生 -不客气
Thank you, sir. - You're welcome.
我觉得 学校还算不错吧
School is going fine, I suppose.
我想介绍一位新同学
I'd like to introduce a new student,
萨曼莎·帕丁顿 她从纽约贝德福德山来到我们这里
Samantha parkington, who comes to us from mount bedford, New York,
这对她来说是一个相当大的变化
which is quite a change.
是吧 萨曼莎
Isn't that right, Samantha?
是的
Yes.
也许你可以告诉我们
Maybe you would like to tell us
一些关于你在贝德福德山的事儿
a little about your life in mount bedford?
嗯
Well,
首先
first,
贝德福德山不是一座真正的山
m-m-mount bedford is not a mountain.
是房♥子
It's houses
和教堂
a-and churches
还有一条河
and a river.
是什么河呢 -好逊河
And what river is that? - The husson.
哈逊河
The houson.
哈德逊河 对不起
The Hudson. Sorry.
没关系
That's all right.
当我们来到一个新地方时 都会很紧张
We're all nervous when we come to a new place.
这条河是哈德逊河
The river is the Hudson river,
同样的 在曼哈顿的西边
the same one that runs down the West Side of Manhattan.
如果你和我在一起 那会有趣多了
It would be so much more fun if you were with me.
我很想念你 内莉
I miss you so, Nellie.
请尽快回信
Please write back soon.
你最好的朋友 萨曼莎
Your best friend, Samantha.
亲爱的萨曼莎
Dear Samantha,
很抱歉我没有写多少
I'm sorry I haven't written much,
但是 爸爸身体不舒服
but da's been under the weather,
我不得不承担更多的家务
and I've had to take on more chores.
你舅舅的房♥子听起来很豪华
Your uncle's house sounds grand,
那些石头和大理石 就像爸爸之前指出的
all stone and marble, like the fine houses
那个格拉梅西公园的房♥子一样
in the gramercy park that da used to point out.
我也想念你 萨曼莎
I miss you, too, Samantha,
真想让你快点儿回来
and I can't wait until you get back.
爱你的朋友 内莉
Love, from your friend, Nellie.
范德格尔德太太家安装了淋浴器
Mrs. vandergeld has installed a shower.
一时兴起而已
Passing fancy.
像是淋雨一样吗
Like a rain shower?
没错 不过是在屋子里淋
Exactly. only it's inside the house,
你站在下面 然后水就下来了
and you stand underneath, and then the water falls.
荒唐的装置
A ridiculous contraption.
荒谬
Absurd.
我敢肯定很快就过时了
Prone to breaking, I'm sure.
我敢肯定
I'm sure.
你想要一个 我猜
And you'd like one, I--i suppose?
当然
Absolutely.
对了 外祖母的来信
Oh, from grandmary.
她一直在和海军上将约会
She has been to see the admiral.
有什么好笑的
What's so amusing?
海军上将在过去的十几年里 每年两次
Well, the admiral proposed to mother
向母亲求婚
twice a year for the last dozen years, I'd say.
难怪她觉得我们赶得太急了
Oh. oh, no wonder she thought we were rushing things.
早上好 同学们
Good morning, class.
早上好 斯蒂文斯小姐
Good morning, miss Stevens.
今天 我有一个非常激动人心的消息
Today, I have a very exciting announcement.
学校要进行一场演讲比赛
The school is conducting a speaking contest
以“美国进步”为主题
on the subject "progress in America."
你可以选择一个主题
You can write on a topic of your choice.
只要是现代的或者是新的事物
Anything modern and new.
是的 艾德娜
Yes, edna.
我可以选电♥话♥吗
Could I write about the telephone?
电♥话♥就是一个很好的例子
The telephone is an excellent example.
还有人有问题吗
Anyone else?
萨曼莎
Samantha?
工厂
Factories?
又是一个好主意
Another good idea.
一个工厂可以在一天内完成整个城镇的工作 想想吧
A single factory can do the work of an entire town in one day. Think of it.
是的 艾玛
Yes, Emma.
我叔叔开了一家工厂 我也可以写这个吗
My uncle runs a factory. May I write on that, too?
你们都可以写任何你想写的东西
You all may write on anything you wish,
但是只有12篇演讲会被选中
but only 12 speeches will be chosen.
这些被选中的会在学校的圣诞节节目上
And those chosen will be presented
向全校师生做展示
in front of the entire school at the Christmas program.
你的演讲要在感恩节前完成
Your speeches are due by Thanksgiving.
是时候做出改变了
The time has come to change the old ways.
妇女必须拥有投票权
Women must vote.
该让人们听到所有人的声音了
The time has come for all of us to speak out
为了支持这项运动 温斯洛普夫人和范德格尔德夫人
and in support, Mrs. winthrop and Mrs. vandergeld
将从周二开始 在麦迪逊广场公园
will organize a peaceful gathering
举办为期一周的和平集♥会♥
at Madison square park a week from Tuesday.
在这一天 所有46个州的妇女都将举♥行♥类似的集♥会♥
Women in all 45 states will be holding similar gatherings on that day.
我很高兴认识你 萨曼莎
I'm very pleased to have met you, Samantha.
我也很高兴认识你
I'm pleased to have met you, too.
当年轻人加入我们的讨论
I'm always greatly encouraged
我总是很受鼓舞
when young people join our discussions.
你渴望有一天也能投票吗
Are you anxious to vote one day?
我不确定
I'm not sure.
不
No.
那你就不必这么做了
Then you won't have to.
对吧 范德盖尔德太太
Isn't that right, Mrs. vandergeld?
那是当然
Oh, quite--quite right.
我们为之奋斗的是投票的权利 而非投票的义务
It's the right to vote we're fighting for, not the requirement.
晚安 萨曼莎
Good night, Samantha.
晚安
Good night.
谢谢
Thank you.
谢谢
Thank you.
不好意思
Excuse me.
晚安
Good night.
再见
Goodbye.
很快就会被机器所取代
...will soon be replaced by those made by machines.
加德舅舅
Uncle gard.
你好 我的天使
Hello, my angel.
今天在学校怎么样
How was school today?
很好 谢谢
It was good, thank you.
我在练习我的演讲 你想听听吗
I'm practicing my speech. Would you like to hear it?
当然
Of course.
工厂是美国进步的基础
Factories are the foundation of progress in America.
他们能制♥造♥出很多完美的产品
They can make perfect products every time, and plenty of them, too,
足够所有人使用
enough for everyone all at once.
它们也会为每个想要工作的人提供就业机会
They will provide jobs for everyone who wants one, too.
手工制♥作♥的产品
Products that are made by hand
很快就会被机器制♥造♥所取代
will soon be replaced by those made by machine.
印象深刻
I am impressed.
下午的邮件
Afternoon mail.
电影精选列表