你的样子…
光彩不再吗?
- You look... - Like I've seen better days?
戈德温先生也这么说
Mr. Godwin said the same.
你见过我父亲了?
You saw my father?
对,他的店卖♥♥我的书
Yes. His shop is stocking my work.
你写完了
不算是
You finished it.
( 吸血鬼 ,拜伦勋爵着)
Not quite.
拜伦勋爵?
我都快忘了这本书
Lord Byron!
拜伦的出版商不知怎么的拿到稿子
I'd all but forgotten about it until
Byron's publisher somehow got a hold of it and printed it as his.
还用他的名义出版
我尝试捍卫原作的权利
I tried to assert my rights as the true author
但却反而被称为剽窃者
but in response I've only been called a plagiarist.
我会写信给拜伦,要他说出真♥相♥
I will write to Byron and appeal to him to tell the truth.
已经试过了
He has already tried. He despises the story.
他不屑这本书
公众对真♥相♥不感兴趣
The public just has no interest in the truth.
你的神秘大作又如何?
What about your mysterious masterpiece?
缺了你的名字很显眼
The absence of your name was notable.
很讽刺,不是吗?
It is ironic, isn't it?
我写了故事讽刺拜伦
I write a story lampooning Byron,
说他是吞噬灵魂的吸血鬼
the blood-sucking devourer of souls
而他却获得所有赞誉
and he gets all the credit.
而你写了绝望孤独
While you wrote about a desperately lonely and abandoned creature.
被抛弃的生物
被不负责任的自恋狂抛弃
Abandoned by an irresponsible narcissist and She-
而雪莱… 雪莱获得所有赞誉
Shelley gets all the credit.
尽管如此,还是恭喜你
Nonetheless, congratulations.
雪莱肯定很高兴
Shelley must be pleased.
我好几个月没见到他了
I haven't seen Shelley in months.
这个给你
It's for you.
我们都创造了怪物,玛丽
We have created monsters, Mary.
但别被他们给吞噬了
But let's not let them devour us.
( 吸血鬼 )
(威廉戈德温书商宣布)
(将在斯皮塔佛德史金纳街的书店)
(举办一场沙龙)
(以表扬 科学怪人 )
( 或现代的普罗米修斯 的作者)
(致玛丽,你的父亲)
欢迎各位大驾光临
Gentlemen, welcome. Thank you for coming.
我们齐聚一堂是为了庆祝
We're gathered here to celebrate the...
科学怪人
success of 'Frankenstein; Or The Modern Prometheus'.
或现代的普罗米修斯 的成功
这是卓越的小说,强调…
It's a remarkable story asserting, as it does, the...
建立关系对人类不可或缺
absolute human necessity for connection.
从弗兰肯斯坦医生的怪物
From the moment Doctor Frankenstein's creature opens its eyes
睁开眼的那一刻
it seeks the touch of its creator.
它就渴望创造者的触摸
但却害怕地退缩
But he recoils in terror
让这个生物第一次
leaving the creature
to its first of many experiences of neglect
感到被忽视和孤立
and isolation.
如果弗兰肯斯坦
And if only Frankenstein
能给他创造的生物
had been able to bestow upon his creation
一个悲悯的抚触
a compassionate touch. A kind word.
或一句和蔼的话
就能避免这起悲剧了
What a tragedy might have been avoided.
但多亏作者的巧思
But it is a credit to the writer
让我们读完这本书的最后一页后
that it is these very thoughts
that continue to run through our minds long after we've
还感到余韵不绝
turned the final page of this book
我想各位都会同意,这是最完整
which I know you all agree is one of the most complete and
同时…
也是当代最具原创性的出版物之一
certainly one of the most original publications of our age.
作为…
As...
谢谢
Thank you.
谢谢
Thank you.
我知道很多人好奇
I know many of you wonder
谁能创造出这样可怕的故事
who could have written this horrific tale
为何要匿名出版
and why was it published anonymously.
我明白有些人认为是我写的
I see some of you suggest that the work belongs to me.
确实,你们可以说这本书没我的贡献
Indeed, you could say that the work would not even exist
是不可能问世的
without my contribution.
但让我惭愧的是…
But to my shame
这部作品唯一属于我的微不足道部分
the only claim I remotely have to this work
is inspiring the desperate loneliness
是激发弗兰肯斯坦
创造出的生物的绝望孤单感
that defines Frankenstein's creature.
科学怪人
The author of 'Frankenstein; Or A Modern Prometheus' is, of course
或现代的普罗米修斯 的作者
显然是玛丽沃斯通克拉夫特戈德温
Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin.
这是一本出色的天才之作
It is a work of singular genius and she is indebted to no one in its creation.
由她一手创作而成
珀西
Percy.
玛丽
Mary.
我还以为你不会回来了
I really thought you'd left for good.
我没承诺给你毫无痛苦的生活
I never promised you a life without misery
但我低估了我们要承受的绝望深渊
but I underestimated the depths of despair
和沉重的遗憾
and the weight of regret we were to endure.
我放弃一切只为了跟你在一起,珀西
I lost everything to be with you, Percy.
总是想创造美好的东西
Always set out to create something wonderful
美丽的东西
something beautiful.
但我们总有不稳定在翻腾
But something volatile seethed within us.
看啊
Behold...
这只怪物通了电
the monster galvanized
但如果我没有学着在痛苦中找寻出路
but if I had not learned to fight through the anguish
我就不会找回我的声音了
I would not have found this voice again.
我的选择造就了我
My choices made me who I am.
而我一点都不后悔
And I regret nothing.
( 科学怪人 )
( 或现代的普罗米修斯 )
(作者玛丽雪莱)
(威廉戈德温安排出版)
(第二版的 科学怪人 )
(把玛丽列为作者)
(玛丽和珀西结婚并一直相守)
(直到珀西29岁英年早逝)
(玛丽并未再婚)
(克莱尔生下女儿阿莱格尔)
(拜伦勋爵供养阿尔格莱)
(直到她十岁过世)
(约翰波里道利医生的 吸血鬼 )
(于1819年出版)
(他无法为自己的作品正名)
(不堪抑郁与债务压力)
(波里道利于25岁自尽)
(玛丽卒于1851年)
(享年53岁)
(身后留下儿子珀西佛罗伦斯雪莱)
(并与父母同葬)
转眼间海浪就将他卷走
You were soon borne away by the waves
消失在茫茫无边的黑暗中
and lost in darkness and distance.
(导演:海法阿尔曼苏尔)
(主演:艾儿芬妮)
(主演:道格拉斯布斯)
(主演:史蒂芬迪蓝)
谢谢观赏
电影精选列表