那是11月的一个阴郁夜晚
It was a dreary night of November
我的辛劳终于有了成果
that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils.
(辛劳)
别忘了,我是你一手创造
Remember that I am thy creature.
我应该成为 亚当
I ought to be thy Adam
但我却成为坠落天使
but I am rather the fallen angel
你的错误让我远离了喜悦
whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed.
我在何处都看到了祝福
Everywhere I see bliss...
然而我…
...from which...
却被排除在这些祝福之外
...from which, from which I alone am irrevocably excluded.
我本性也是仁慈且善良
I was benevolent and good Misery made me a fiend
是痛苦让我变成恶魔
请让我获得幸福吧
(幸福)
Make me happy.
我将恢复成品德高尚的人
And I shall again be virtuous.
但不久后… ,他大喊
"But soon", he cried
(大喊)
我就要死了
"I shall die
再也不会感受到现在的痛苦
and what I now feel be no longer felt.
很快地…
Soon...
这些痛苦的折磨将不复存在
these burning miseries will be extinct.
我将以胜利之姿
I shall ascend my funeral pyre triumphantly
登上我的火葬堆
沉醉在烈焰带来的痛楚中
and exult in the agony of the torturing flames.
我的灵魂将永远得到安息
My spirit will sleep in peace or if it thinks
肯定也不会思考这些事了
it will not surely think thus.
永别了
Farewell."
(故事终)
故事终
The End.
科学怪人或现代的普罗米修斯
玛丽…
Mary. Mary.
这本书太精彩了
It is magnificent.
远超乎我对你的能力认知
It exceeds even what I believed you capable of.
充满潜力
It has so much potential.
我只有一个疑问
I just have one question.
那个医生
他取得所有人体部位
The doctor, he gets all these body parts
缝合在一起
为了创造最完美的生物
and he sews them together in order to make the most perfect creature
但当他赋予它生命后
其实是创造出某种怪物
But when he brings it to life, essentially what he has created is a kind of monster.
是的
Yes.
不能是某种…
Well couldn't it be something more-
更有希望的东西吗?
something more hopeful?
想像如果他能创造出完美生物
Imagine if he could create the perfect being.
好比一个天使…
Um, an angel.
天使?
是的,这样他就能展现人类的能耐
An angel?!
Yes, and in doing so he could show what Man can be.
他创造我们的翻版,散发良善光芒
He creates a version of ourselves that shines with goodness
这样就能传递讯息给人类
and thus, thus delivers a message for mankind.
这就是给人类的讯息
It is a message for mankind.
我是指传递希望和完美
Well I, I mean a message of hope and of perfection.
你怎么…
What would you-
我们对希望和完美了解多少?
what would we know of hope and perfection?
看看你周围
Look around you.
看看我们弄出的烂摊子
Look at the mess we've made.
看看我
Look at me.
这么说也有道理
It makes sense this way.
我会拿去给出版商,说服他们…
I'll take it to my publisher
不,我自己去就好
- and I will convince-- - No. I will go alone.
你多大了,戈德温小姐?
You are how old, Miss Godwin?
18岁
I am 18.
真的很年轻
That really is quite young.
如果我的年纪够生孩子
If I'm old enough to bear children,
也就够提笔写作了
I'm old enough to put pen to paper.
对一个年轻女士来说
这是很奇特的主题啊
Curious subject matter for a young lady, wouldn't you say?
而这位年轻女士正好是雪莱先生的…
And when that young lady just happens to be the wife, uh...
妻子…
companion of Mr. Shelley...
我是指伴侣
你暗示这本书出自雪莱先生之手吗?
Are you suggesting the work belongs to Mr. Shelley?
也许你还有其他作品
Well, perhaps there are some other writings of yours that I could compare it to?
可以让我比对一下?
这是我的创作
It is my story.
雪莱先生第一次拿作品来时
你也这样对他吗?
Did you ask this of Mr. Shelley
when he first presented his work to you?
还是你只羞辱年轻女子?
Or do you save this insult for young women?
而你居敢质疑一个女人
And you dare...
to question a woman's ability
体验失落
to experience loss, death...
死亡
与背叛的能力
...betrayal.
这些都写在故事里,我的故事
All of which is present in this story.
In my story.
如果你愿意花时间
评断我的作品,而不是我的话
Which you would have realized
if you'd employed the time judging the work
你就会明了了
instead of judging me.
(道斯戴文波特出版社)
(书籍,副刊,订阅服务)
你看完了吗?
Did you finish it?
看完了
Yes.
让我不寒而栗
It chilled me to the bone.
偶尔欣赏鬼故事也不错
It's good to enjoy a ghost story now and then.
我们都知道这不是鬼故事
We both know this is no ghost story.
我没读过这么…
I've never read such a...
精彩的故事
perfect encapsulation...
完美捕捉了被抛弃的感觉
of what it feels to be abandoned.
你的怪物的怒火让我同感愤怒
I seethed with your monster's rage.
我渴求它的复仇
I lusted for his revenge.
因为那也是我的复仇
Because it was my own.
我在想…
有多少人会同情你的生物受的折磨?
I wonder...
...how many souls will sympathize with your creature's torments?
应该很多
More than should, I expect.
我是这么觉得
我该搬回家了
It is time I moved home.
你一定要出版这个故事,玛丽
You must get your story published, Mary.
亲爱的女士,感谢您寄来的手稿
Dear Madam, thank you for sending us your manuscript,
科学怪人或现代的普罗米修斯
'Frankenstein or A Modern Prometheus'.
很遗憾我们对本书不感兴趣
Unfortunately, this is not a piece that interests us.
很遗憾通知您…
我们不会出版您的手稿
We regret to inform you that we shall not be publishing your manuscript.
我们鉴赏后有点反感…
这篇的主题…
our taste in judgement alike revolts
不切合读者对女性作者的喜好
This subject is not to the taste of our readers from a female author.
年轻姑娘写这个主题
In fact, it strikes us as hardly an appropriate subject for a young lady
不是很恰当 太可怕了
我们不否认这部作品有优点
We do not deny that the work has merit but we are cautious in proceeding.
但出版方面我们持保留态度
事实是你没其他地方能发表故事了
The truth is you have nowhere else to go with your story.
莱金顿集团愿意出版
The Lackington Group will publish it.
印五百份
500 copies will be printed.
将会匿名发表
It will be published anonymously,
前提是由你来写前言
provided you write the introduction.
我当然很乐意
Well of course. I'd be delighted.
这样大家都会认为是你写的
So everyone will think you wrote it.
如果能出版,有什么关系?
Provided it's published, what does it matter?
有什么关系?
What does it matter?
你怎么还不明白呢?
How is it possible that you still don't understand?!
你要我放弃署名
You want me to abandon my claim to it...
因为我的性别可能毁了这本书的成功
because my gender might spoil its success.
我没这么说 你不必说出口
- I never said that. - You don't have to.
你从没想过自己的行为造成的后果
Not once do you ever think about the consequences of your actions!
我们的生活,你跟我一样有责任
You bear just as much responsibility for our life as I.
不是我一手铸成我们的痛苦,玛丽
I, I'm not the, some grand architect of our misery, Mary.
该负责的是你
You bear the responsibility.
我该负责的是居然相信了你
I bear the responsibility of ever believing in you!
( 科学怪人 )
( 或现代的普罗米修斯 )
(共三卷)
(献给威廉戈德温)
( 政♥治♥正义论 )
(与 凯莱布威廉斯传奇 作者)
(这本书由作者着)
谢谢
...thank you.
约翰
John!
电影精选列表