奇克:如果我没记错的话,我去了六次
CHICK: I think I did six if I remember rightly.
厄尼:我大概执行过七次对柏林的轰炸任务
ERNIE: I think I made seven raids on Berlin.
约翰:我们去了八次
JOHN: We went there eight times.
八次柏林之行
Eight trips to Berlin.
所以我们都很轻车熟路,也知道那将会是怎样的情形
So we knew the way, we knew what it was gonna be like.
奇克:突然发生了一场剧烈的爆♥炸♥
CHICK: There was a tremendous explosion.
——轰!
Tremendous, woof!
电影《空中怪杰》 1945年
左舷外侧发动机着火了!
Port outer engine's on fire!
奇克:一切都像慢动作一样
CHICK: Everything happened in slow motion.
极度缓慢
I mean ultra-slow motion.
你能感觉到自己坠落,就像一袋砖头掉下去一样
You felt yourself going, you went down like a sack of bricks.
奇克·钱德勒
英国皇家空军飞行工程师
在下坠时
And as you were going down
我看到驾驶舱上方划过火花闪过
you saw sparks going above the cockpit.
我以为是火星,其实那是来自梅塞施密特 Me 110 的曳光弹
What I thought was sparks were in fact tracer shells from an ME 110
它正在攻击我们,而我当时还不知道
that was attacking us and I didn't know.
我听到了投弹手的惨叫
And I could hear the screams of the bomb aimer.
于是我爬到机头去看……那情景太可怕了
So I went to the nose of the aircraft and well, dreadful sight.
我……我真的吐了
I... Actually, I vomited.
他已经死了
He was dead.
而无线电员……他在返航途中也死去了.
And then the wireless op, he died on the way back in fact.
说不清为什么
For some unaccountable reason
也许我那时已经听天由命
perhaps I resigned myself to my fate
也许是因为我忙着计算燃油
or perhaps I was too busy working out the fuel
我居然没有害怕
I wasn't frightened.
那是我唯一一次没有被吓得魂飞魄散的时候,我也不知道为什么
That was the only time I wasn't absolutely petrified. I don't know why.
我们升降舱门打不开,起落架放不下
Couldn't raise the bomb doors, couldn't lower the under carriage
襟翼也不能用了
couldn't use the flaps.
飞机急速下降,直到我们到达海岸
And we descended quite rapidly until we reached the coast.
温福德录音:我们第一次看到英国
WYNFORD ON RECORDING: Our first sight of England
那是一道从黑暗中闪烁上来的信标灯光
a little light from a beacon flashing up to us from the darkness below.
机舱里所有人都发出了一声由衷的、深深的叹息.
We all here heed a heartfelt sigh of relief.
奇克:我们着陆后,我第一个跳下飞机
CHICK: We landed, I was the first one out
我记得最清楚的,就是我跪下来亲吻了地面
and the thing I remember vividly was kissing the ground.
温迪:我那时每天都会打电♥话♥给他
WENDY: Well, I used to ring him every day
但必须在中午十二点前打,因为一旦他们开完第一次任务简报
but you had to ring before 12 o'clock because once they'd had the first briefing
就再也不能接电♥话♥了
you couldn't.
而那一天,我没能及时打通
And this particular day, I didn't get to the phone in time
也就没能和他说上话
and I didn't speak to him.
第二天早晨,当我走进基地的那一刻,我就知道——他没有回来
And next morning, I knew the moment I walked in that he hadn't come back.
我心如刀绞
I was devastated.
我太难过了,我甚至没能对他说:
And I was so, so, so devastated I wasn't able to say
“再见,亲爱的,上帝保佑你.”
"Goodbye, darling. God bless."
我觉得几乎是我的错
I felt it was almost my fault.
但那就是战争
But that was war.
是的.
Yes.
他牺牲的时候只有 22 岁
He was only 22 when he died.
旁白:柏林战役进入最后阶段
NARRATOR: The Battle of Berlin was in its final phase
但它并没有像哈里斯所宣称的那样——让德国输掉这场战争
but it had not, as Harris had promised, cost Germany the war.
英国皇家空军的损失仍在不断攀升,然而在 1944 年 3 月
RAF losses continued to mount, yet in March 1944
尽管被劝阻,哈里斯仍坚持要进行
Harris insisted on one last operation in the campaign
战役中的最后一次行动
despite being advised against it.
最终的目标不是柏林
However, the final trip was not to Berlin
而是纽伦堡——纳粹的象征之地
but Nuremberg, symbolic home of the Nazis.
拉斯蒂:天气预报说:
RUSTY: The weather forecast was
‘一路上都会有云
"You're gonna be in cloud all the way to the target
到目标上空时才会放晴.’
and the target's gonna be clear."
但一阵意外的强风突然刮起,把所有的云都吹散了
But a freak wind came up and blew all the cloud away
当你在这样一个月光皎洁的夜晚飞行时
and when you had a clear night with this lovely Moon
感觉就像在白天飞行一样
it was like flying in daylight.
奇克:那天晚上的月亮非常亮
CHICK: Very bright Moon that night.
我们看到另一架兰开斯特轰炸机从身边掠过
Another Lancaster moved across.
突然,毫无预兆地——
And suddenly, with no warning whatsoever...
轰!就那样消失了
Boom! Gone.
拉斯蒂:德军出动了240架夜间战斗机
RUSTY: The Germans had sent 240 night fighters
直冲进我们的轰炸机编队
right into the bomber stream.
我们看到它们在我们身边疾驰而过
We saw them flashing past
一架接一架的轰炸机被击中,瞬间化作火球
but we'd see aircraft just blowing up and disappearing
还有的被击中后像碎纸一样从空中坠落
others literally just falling out of the sky.
我们机组报告看到有
We saw over 40 aircraft, separate aircraft
40多架轰炸机被击落
reported by the crew as going down.
杰克·沃森:我们简直就是活靶子,被打得体无完肤.
JACK WATSON: We were sitting ducks shot to buggery.
最后 200 英里简直就是一条直奔纽伦堡的死亡航线
The last 200 miles was just a straight run in to Nuremberg.
拉斯蒂:但纽伦堡上空非但没有放晴,反而布满了云层
RUSTY: But instead of being clearer, it was cloudy over Nuremberg
大多数飞机都没能命中目标
and most of the aircraft missed the target.
这次空袭——彻底失败
So the raid was a failure.
拉斯蒂:当我们降落并走出飞机时
RUSTY: When we'd landed and got out the aircraft
平时大家都会说笑几句,可那一夜,没人说话
normally you were chatty and a bit exuberant, but that night we never spoke.
只是简单地说了声‘你好’、‘没事吧?’
Just said "Hello", "Alright?"
“你怎么样?”——就这样
Well, how do you get on?
拉斯蒂:接着我们得去参加战后汇报
RUSTY: And then we had to go to be debriefed.
奇克:那一夜,我们亲眼看到超过五十架飞机被击落
CHICK: We actually saw 50 plus aircraft shot down.
真真切切地看到
We actually saw it.
可当我们回到基地,他们不相信我们
But when we landed back at base, they wouldn't believe us.
他们说:‘嗯,你看到了,其实你看到
They said, "Well, you saw it, you saw it, you saw it.
那只是一架飞机,不是三架
That's only one aeroplane, not three."
我们那群人啊,有点疯
The crew were a mad lot.
他们会在彼此之间设一个小赌局
They used to have a little kitty in between them
谁能最接近猜中被击落的飞机数量
and the one who guessed most accurately the number of aircraft shot down
谁就赢
got the kitty.
那天,柯利整晚都在观察外面,他说:“我看着像有六十到一百架.”
And Curly, cos he was looking out all the time, said "Ooh, 60 to 100".
结果他赢了
And he won the kitty that night
那一夜,真的有96架轰炸机被击落
because 96 aircraft were shot down over Germany.
96架
Ninety-six.
意味着第二天早晨
In one night.
餐厅里会有672个空着的座位
That's 672 empty chairs at breakfast.
比尔·古尔德:空荡荡的桌旁,空着的椅子
BILL GOULD: Empty chairs at empty tables.
那是约翰曾经坐的地方,那是哈里曾经坐的地方
That's where John used to sit, that's where Harry used to sit.
比尔·古尔德
英国皇家空军飞行工程师
旁白:那一夜,轰炸机司令部阵亡的飞行员
NARRATOR: Bomber Command lost more aircrew on that one night
比整场不列颠之战中战斗机司令部的全部损失还要多
than Fighter Command during the entire Battle of Britain.
约翰: 夜里,你能看到别的飞机
JOHN: At night you could see other aircraft
也能看到它们被击落
and you could certainly see them being shot down.
我们都看到了.而我们的心态是:‘今晚轮不到我们.’
We all saw them and our attitude was "It's not our turn tonight".
约翰·贝尔
英国皇家空军观察员 投弹手
你会为他们难过
You know, you sympathise, you're sorry to see them go
但心里想的是:“好吧,今晚轮不到我们
but your attitude is, "Well, it's not our turn.
也许是明天晚上,但不是今晚
It might be tomorrow night, but it's not our turn tonight."
查尔斯:我们那时候从没想过自己会出事
CHARLES: We never thought that anything was going to happen to us.
现在回想起来真是疯狂
When I look back, it's crazy.
查尔斯·克拉克
英国皇家空军投弹手
危险明明就摆在眼前
I mean, the odds were staring you in the face.
罗恩:在餐厅里,如果有人没回来
RON: In the mess, if anybody disappeared
我们就喊一句:“倒霉!倒霉!”
we'd just shout "Hard luck! Hard luck".
罗恩·梅希尔
新西兰皇家空军投弹手
——汤姆走了,“真倒霉!”
Tom's gone. "Hard luck!"
这就是我们唯一能做的
That's the only way we could do it.
拉斯蒂:每当有人阵亡时
RUSTY: When somebody got the chop
我们会走到餐厅举杯,说:“敬那位好兄弟
you used to go down to the mess and say, "Here's to good old so and so
也敬下一个要死的家伙.”
and here's to the next one to die."
我们都明白——自己活不长
And you just accepted you weren't gonna live.
尼尔: 在战争中,人们会接受一些
NEIL: One accepts certain things in a war
在平时生活中绝不会接受的事情,而且你不会去细想它们
that you don't accept in life, and you don't think about it.
谈起这些事……
It's sad to talk about these things.
确实让人难过,也让人动容
Very... um, moving.
旁白:根据轰炸机司令部的官方战史记载
NARRATOR: According to Bomber Command's official history
'柏林战役'不仅仅是一次失败
the Battle of Berlin was more than a failure.
它是一场惨败
It was a defeat.
哈里斯的领导能力受到了质疑
Questions were asked of Harris' leadership
在纽伦堡突袭后的一周后,他甚至威胁要辞职
电影精选列表