给他们标出轰炸点——
and it gave us a little bit of leeway.
然后主力部队开始投弹
Main Force were then called in to bomb.
劳里:当投弹手接管操纵、准备进入投弹航线时
LAURIE: We got to a point where the bomb aimer took over for the run in
我可以从圆顶窗向外看
and I could see out of the dome.
我从未见过任何地方有那样的火与毁灭
I can't relate to anything
那么广阔、那么彻底——
where the fire and the destruction
整个德累斯顿都在燃烧
was so vast over an area as Dresden.
乌苏拉:那真是一场地狱烈焰
URSULA: And it was such an inferno
我们在夜空中看到天空都变成了红色
that we saw it on the sky going red at night.
汤姆:作为后机♥枪♥手,当我们飞离德累斯顿的时候
TOM: As the rear gunner, coming out of Dresden
我所能看到的只有一大♥片♥巨大的红色天空
all I could see was one massive great red sky
我能看到那些火焰在一百英里外清晰可见
and I could see those flames over a hundred mile away.
你能在天空中看到那巨大的火光
You could see the big glow in the sky.
你目光所及的每一个方向都被火焰染成了红色
Every single way you looked was red with flames.
档案记者:当天明时分,返航的兰开斯特编队刚降落
ARCHIVE REPORTER: As daylight broke on the returning Lancasters
一支庞大的美军轰炸机群
a huge force of American fortresses and liberators
又从英国起飞
were rising from British airfields.
四百五十架'堡垒式'和'解放者'轰炸机,目标仍然是德累斯顿
For 450 of them, the target was again Dresden.
这些飞机在空中飞行的身影固然壮丽
The beauty of these aircraft in flight iS in curious contrast
却与它们所执行的丑陋任务形成了奇特的对比
to the unavoidable ugliness of their essential mission.
乌苏拉:当然,我的学校毁了
URSULA: Well, of course I lost my school.
我再也没见过它
I never saw it again.
没人回去过
Nobody ever went back.
整个城市一片废墟
It was a terrible destruction
尸体横陈成堆,被烧死的人
and the dead just lying around in heaps.
层层叠叠,像山一样高
Mountains of dead people
那真是可怕
which had burned to death.
极其可怕的景象.
It was really terrible.
旁白:在对德累斯顿的空袭中
NARRATOR: Approximately 25,000 people were killed
约有两万五千人丧生
in the attacks on Dresden.
对于那些 19 岁、20 岁、21 岁的年轻人来说
For lads 19, 20, 21...
根本还没真正长大
we'd never known maturity
因为我们生活在一个奇怪的世界里
because we'd lived in a strange world.
我们每次执行任务
One where we would go out
都可能在一夜之间杀死上百、上千个人
and we would have killed hundreds of people that night
却对这一切一无所知
and not known a thing about it.
战争,真是肮脏的勾当,不是吗?
War's a dirty business, isn't it?
旁白:德累斯顿轰炸一个月后
NARRATOR: A month after Dresden
丘吉尔致函英国皇家空军司令波特尔草拟了一份备忘录
Churchill sent a draft memo to Charles Portal, head of the RAF
对轰炸政策提出了严厉批评
critical of bombing policy.
尽管这份备忘录后来被修改,但它已在公众舆♥论♥中
Although it was later re-written, lasting damage was done
给皇家空军轰炸司令部,以及哈里斯本人留下了难以抹去的阴影
to both Bomber Command's and Harris' reputations.
拉斯蒂:我几乎可以肯定,这里面掺杂了政♥治♥因素
RUSTY: I'm pretty sure politics came into this
哈里斯嘛,说实话,他确实不是个容易相处的人
cos Harris, obviously he wasn't the easiest bloke to get on with
但他的一切命令都来自空军部和政♥府♥
but his instructions came from Air Ministry and the government.
丘吉尔亲自送给波特尔一份轰炸目标清单
Churchill sent to the portal a list of targets
那些地方,必须被炸
which had to be bombed.
当他戴上钢盔的时候,他是个好指挥官
When he wore his tin hat he was good.
可一旦戴上那顶圆礼帽,他就变了一个人
When he put his bowler on, he was a different man altogether, wasn't he?
那时候的他,更关心政♥治♥
He was more interested in politics
更在意能不能赢得选举,而不是战争本身.
and winning an election than the war, wasn't he?
他想洗清自己在德累斯顿事件上的干系
And he wanted to wash his hands of Dresden.
但他不能,因为是他下令的
Well, he couldn't because he ordered it.
他害怕后果,害怕被追究,害怕人们说他亲手制♥造♥了那场屠♥杀♥
He was afraid of the consequences, that he'd ordered this slaughter
等到一切结束之后,他就装作不知情
and when it had been accomplished he didn't want to know.
于是可怜的哈里斯成了替罪羊
So poor old Harris was blamed
背了所有的锅,而实际上他不过是
for what the politicians had told him what to do
在执行政♥治♥家交下来的命令
so he carried the can.
旁白:欧洲的战争在1945年5月8日正式结束.
NARRATOR: The war in Europe ended on May 8th, 1945.
乔治:我至今仍然觉得,那是必要的
GEORGE: I still think that it was necessary.
我们失去了那么多的人——有男人,也有女人和孩子
We lost a lot of men, we lost women and children
德国人也是一样
and so did the Germans.
可你想啊,不论在哪里,战争就是战争
But then, wherever you go, war is war, isn't it?
最惨的,永远是老百姓
And it's always the civilians that cop it the worst.
也许现在回头看,这一切似乎都显得毫无意义
I suppose one could say that it was futile really
但如果当年我们不去和德国作战,不做我们所做的那些事
but what would have happened if we hadn't have gone to war with Germany
那又会怎样呢?
and did what we did?
杰克·沃森:我们现在都知道,他们杀害了六百万犹太人
JACK WATSON: We know now that they killed six million Jews.
任何一个可以纵容这种行为的国家,都应该得到他们应得的任何惩罚
Any country which can sanction that deserves any punishment that they can get.
如果我们当时没有轰炸德国,我们就赢不了那场战争
If we hadn't have bombed Germany, we wouldn't have won the war.
所以我认为,那样做其实拯救了很多生命
So I think that that saved a lot of lives
包括集中营里的人
and in the concentration camps.
乌苏拉:柏林几乎什么都不剩了,对吧?
URSULA: There wasn't much left of Berlin, was there?
还有科隆、法兰克福、不来梅、慕尼黑……都一样
Or Cologne or Frankfurt, or Bremen or Munich in the south.
我知道那很可怕
I know it was terrible
但你想想,身处英格兰的你们还能怎么对付德国人呢?
but I mean to say, what could you do here in England fighting the Germans?
和德国人打仗,就是互相轰炸.
That was the way they fought each other, was bombing each other.
我的意思是
I mean
那时候我没多想——我太年轻了.
I didn't think that, well, I was too young then
可现在回头看,我会想:“他们还能怎样呢?”
but now I think, "What else could they have done?"
林肯郡英国皇家空军康宁斯比基地
塞布·戴维:我们今天生活的这个世界
SEB DAVEY: The world that we live in today
很大程度上都归功于七十五年前那些人的付出
owes a lot to what those guys did 75 years ago.
这架飞机本身就是一座活的纪念碑
This aircraft is a living memorial.
它能打动人,大概是因为它所代表的一切.
It has an emotional effect on people, probably down to what she represents
在轰炸机司令部的12万5千名机组成员中
because of 125,000 Bomber Command aircrew
空军上尉 塞布·戴维
英国皇家空军不列颠战役纪念飞行队
“兰卡斯特” 轰炸机飞行表演员
全都是志愿者
of whom all were volunteers
而其中55,573人牺牲
55,573 is the official figure
还不包括那些
for those that were lost
在今天看来同样
and that does not include life—changing injuries
改变一生的伤残者
that we would possibly count today.
在这个国家里
So there are very few families in this country
几乎每个家庭都与轰炸机司令部
who don't know someone who was involved in some way
有某种关联.
with Bomber Command.
每次登上这架'兰开斯特'轰炸机
The greatest feeling you get when boarding the aircraft
坐到自己的座位上时
and making your way to your seat and sitting there
你最大的感受是想到那些在你之前做这件事的人
is thinking about the guys who did this before you
当这些比我们年轻得多的年轻人
and you can't help but think how the mixture of emotions
爬上飞机去执行他们被赋予的任务时
must have been affecting these much younger chaps than us
他们的复杂情绪是怎样的
as they climbed on board to carry out the task that they were given.
而我们有个传统
But also we have a tradition
每次登上兰卡斯特轰炸机前
that every time we get on board the Lancaster
都会触摸机尾处那块纪念牌
we have a memorial plague to the rear of the aircraft that we touch
那象征着——
and the idea is that by touching this
我们把那些前辈一起带上了机.
we're taking some of those guys along with us.
我们每个人都会这么做,也都会在那一刻想起他们
We all do it and all think about them when we get on board.
“关闭通信”-”收到!”
Switching off. Got that!
乔:战争结束后
JO: At the end of the war
那些最高层的政客似乎都不愿再理会我们
all the top politicians didn't seem to want to know about us
连丘吉尔也是
even Churchill himself
这让我很受打击
which was a... a bit of a blow.
丘吉尔居然对我们置之不理
I really was upset about Churchill
而我们以前为他拼过命
the fact that he sort of turned his back on us
我对此感到非常沮丧
when we'd previously done such a good job for him.
约翰:战后,我们只是习惯了不去想它
JOHN: After the war we just got used to not thinking about it
甚至从不谈论它
and never even talked about it.
没人问起
Nobody asked us.
我们也就都沉默了.时间就那样过去了
And so it went on, time went on.
杰克·沃森:我结婚35年了
JACK WATSON: I'd been married 35 years
直到第一次老战友重聚时
and it was only at our first reunion when we got together
我妻子才对我说:
and my wife said to me
“你从没告诉过我这些,我都不知道.”
"You never told me any of this. I didn't know this."
我只能说:“我们从没谈过啊.”
I said, "Well, we haven't talked about it".
那时啊,要是你说自己是轰炸司令部的
Nobody... Bomber Command, if you mention you was in Bomber Command
别人看你的眼神,就像你是个杀人犯
you were looked at as though you were a murderer.
罗恩:我们真没想到,经历了那么多苦难
RON: We didn't realise that people wouldn't like us
回国后人们竟会不喜欢我们
after all we'd gone through.
我们根本想不通
We just couldn't understand it.
我还记得有个可怜的兄弟问我
And I can remember one poor chap saying to me
电影精选列表