- Not us. - Okay.
但是仍然是我们发现的 不是吗
But we still found it, right?
我是说上面写的是谁的名字并不重要
I mean, it doesn't really matter whose name goes on. What...
不 不 这很重要 真的很重要
Yes, yes, yes it does! It really does.
它意味着我们不能参与
It means that we're not gonna be a part
未来几年对星球的研究分♥析♥了
of the next couple of years of analysis.
你说的未来几年是什么意思
What do you mean the next couple of years?
而且如果他们在星球上发现了生命的迹象
And if they find signs of life?
我们就更不可能参与了
We're definitely not gonna be a part of that.
好吧
Okay.
那我们为什么不能再找一个备选行星呢
Well, then why don't we just find another candidate?
再重新开始所有的步骤就好了啊
Just start the whole process over.
不 克莱拉 别说了
No, no, Clara, stop!
别说了 别说了
Stop! Stop!
到了现在 要想再找一个更好的备选行星
At this point, finding a better planet candidate
并且赶在詹姆斯·韦伯望远镜发射前
in time for James Webb
基本上是不可能的
is basically impossible.
伊萨克
Isaac.
结束了 都结束了
It's over. It's over.
这是我们到目前为止做过的最有趣的发现
We made our most intriguing discovery so far.
TESS 421a号♥行星
Uh, TESS 421a.
421a号♥行星 绕着M型红矮星运行
And 421a, it orbits an M dwarf.
它刚好处在宜居带内
Uh, it's in the Goldilocks zone
那里的温度
where the temperature,
正好可以让水以液态形式存在
you know, is just right for liquid water.
它的位置在大概距离我们20光年的地方
It's about 20 light-years away.
而且它的体积和地球更为接近
And, uh, its size is closer to Earth's
比目前有记录的其他行星都要更接近
than any other planet recorded.
TESS有没有发现任何的初步证据
Has TESS found any initial evidence
证明这个星球上有生命存在呢
to suggest that there is life on this planet?
还没有 那不是TESS的首要目标
Uh, no, that's not the primary objective of TESS.
我们的任务只是寻找新地球
I mean, we're merely an Earth survey mission
寻找类地行星
to search for Earth-like planets.
韦伯望远镜的红外能力能够让我们
Webb's infrared capabilities will allow us...
TESS的目标是发现类地行星
The objective of TESS is to find Earth-like planets.
它的大气层决定了它的构成
...its atmosphere will determine composition,
识别具有生物特征的气体
identify bio-signature gases...
等等 所有人都在寻找类地行星
Wait. Everyone is looking for Earth-like planets.
他们都 他们都在找
They're all... They're all looking
最为合适的条件和环境
for circumstances that are right,
但是 如果
but what...
假如说我们寻找的目标是错误的
What if we look for things that are wrong?
你这话什么意思
What do you mean?
即便一个行星上有生命
Even if a planet has life,
这种生命也可能只是微生物 可以很微小
it could just be microbial, it would be too small.
我们甚至不能用肉眼看到它们
We wouldn't be able to see it.
唯一能让我们真正地知道
The only way to truly know
我们是否找到了某种高级物种的方法是
if we find an advanced species
是看到因为他们的存在 而导致的结果
is to see the result of their existence.
比如 受到过化石燃料影响的大气层
Atmospheres affected by fossil fuels
或者大到足以制♥造♥出凌的巨型结构体
or large mega-structures that are big enough to make a transit.
或者太阳能的收集
Or, uh, uh, solar energy harvesting.
或者 你知道的 脚印
You know, footprints.
更为古老和更为先进的文明
The older and more evolved civilizations
一定会产生某种非自然的现象
are bound to have produced unnatural phenomena.
异常现象
Anomalies.
可我们该从哪里入手
How would we even start?
我们把TESS的下一批数据下载下来
We download the next batch of TESS data
然后我们全部分♥析♥一遍
and we go through all of it.
用排除法
Process of elimination.
TESS已检测到的到的凌
行了
Okay.
我已经宅不下去了
I'm done being a hermit.
我必须出去呼吸呼吸新鲜空气
I need to get out of this apartment.
我 我现在已经有些进展了
Uh, I'm, I'm making real progress here.
来嘛 就
Come on, just...
对不起 今晚不行
I'm sorry. I can't tonight.
好吧 那我自己出去了
Okay, well, I'm going out.
-你说什么 -我要出去了
- What? - I'm going out.
-去哪儿 -去舞厅
- Where? - Dancing.
你需要来一颗泰诺或是什么别的药吗
You need a Tylenol or something?
你在干嘛
What are you doing?
在画 进化论
Drawing... Evolution.
不错
Huh. Nice.
伊娃最近比往常更黏我了
You know, Eva's much closer to me these days.
是吗
Oh, yeah?
我发现她的时候 她是条流浪狗
When I found her, she was a stray,
在到处流浪 居无定所
just wandering without a home.
也许是她找到了我
Maybe it's her who found me.
也许我才是个流浪者
Maybe I'm a stray.
我嘞个天呐
Holy shit!
我觉得我找到什么了
I think I found something.
我发现了个东西
I found something.
我这看的是什么
What am I looking at here?
你会知道的
You'll see it.
这些数据漏洞百出啊
This is bad data.
你说什么呢 看这个
What are you talking about? Look at this.
这是这些天捕捉的数据
The data captured over these days...
看看这些有点奇特的周期性的光线变暗
Look at the strange, periodic dimming of the light.
从战略的角度这意味着
That suggests strategically
那颗恒星周围散布着围绕它运行的物体
scattered objects orbiting that star.
这很明显不是太空垃圾
This is too intentional to be debris.
这有可能是戴森球的一部分
This could be some sort of partial Dyson sphere.
戴森球 一种设想中的巨型人造结构体 用来包裹开采恒星能量的人造天体
某种先进文明正在收集恒星的能量
Some advanced civilization harvesting their star's energy.
查理 你就不能看看吗
Charlie, would you look at this?
你知道我们不到最后
You know aliens are always
是不会牵扯到外星人的 对吧
the last thing we're supposed to consider, right?
查理 这不是自然现象
Charlie, this is not natural, man.
这只是一些错误数据
It's bad data.
当时飞船出了点小动静
There was movement on the spacecraft.
这批数据错误百出
This batch is riddled with errors.
TESS发最近发布的数据存在跟踪误差
我没想到你竟然不知道
I'm surprised you don't know that.
妈的
Oh, shit.
我觉得你可能是研究这个研究得太入迷了
I think you might be too close to this.
一切都还好吗
Is everything okay?
我听说你身子有些不舒服
Hey, I heard you were, uh, under the weather.
你看起来在好转了
You look like you're on the mend.
并没有好很多
Uh, not really,
我就是来这倒杯水喝
but I just came in here to get a glass of water
然后我就准备回床上去了
and then I'm gonna go back to bed.
玛雅怎么样了
How's Maya?
还好 玛雅她有一点抓狂 你懂的
Uh, good, good. I mean, Maya's a little nuts, you know.
就是几乎没时间合眼 压根睡不着
It's kinda hard to get any sleep
宝宝每隔七分钟就哭一次
when the baby's crying every seventh minute.
我都有点担心会不会某一天我回到家
I'm afraid I'm gonna come home one day
会看到她在宝宝的额头上贴了一张条子
and she's gonna have a note taped to the kid's forehead
写着说她搬回普拉塔港了
that says she's moved to Puerto Plata
而她从来都没有爱过我这个身材走样的爸爸
and she was never really into dad-bod.
不是吧
Come on.
但除此之外 我们一切都好
But besides that, we're good.
好吧 如果她需要导游
Well, if she needs a tour guide,
就交给我吧
just toss her my way.
有时我会怀念在路上的日子
I guess sometimes I miss being on the move.
-晚安 朋友们 -晚安
- Goodnight, you guys. - Hey, goodnight.
你到底怎么回事
What the hell's the matter with you?
查理 现在别说这些
Charlie, not now, please.
她病了而你却在看那些该死的数据
She's sick and you're looking at shit data?
你应该为她煮汤
You should be making her soup.
你所有的时间都用在仰望遥远的星星上
You spend all your time looking up at the stars,
你会错过眼前的一切的
you're gonna miss what's right in front of you.