自2009年起,开普勒望远镜观测到了太阳系外超过4000颗行星
其中很多行星都可能适宜人类居住
将会极大地帮助我们寻找宜居星球
而NASA即将推出的TESS望远镜和詹姆斯·韦伯望远镜
NASA 美国国家航♥空♥航♥天♥局
TESS 凌星系外行星巡天望远镜
还有外星生命
对不起
Sorry.
昨天
Uh, yesterday,
我们是讲到了 那个
we were talking about the, um...
费米悖论
The Fermi paradox?
啊对 费米悖论
Right, the Fermi paradox.
很糟糕
Worse.
它指出矛盾的点在于宇宙中还有
The, uh contradiction of having a high probability
其他生命存在的概率是很高的
of life existing elsewhere in the universe
同时我们却没有证据证明这一点
while having no actual evidence to prove it.
德雷克方程
The Drake equation.
告诉我们在我们这个星系
It gives us every reason to believe
生命应该是普遍存在的
that life should be common in our galaxy
挺不错的对吧
Exciting right?
那为什么我们一个也没发现
So why haven't we found anything?
银河里有超过一千万亿颗恒星
Over 100 billion stars in the Milky Way,
大多数都拥有行星
the vast majority of which host planets,
并且许多行星还都适宜居住
many of those planets capable of supporting life
可是我们依旧一无所获
and still we have found nothing.
没有任何生命存在的痕迹
No sign of anyone or anything else.
相信我 我们一直在寻找
And believe me, we're looking.
日日夜夜 我们一直盯着这片天空
Night after night, after night, we're staring up at the sky,
把自己埋进成堆的数据里
burying ourselves in mountains of data.
皆因我们坚信 我们迟早会发现新生命
All because we know one day, we will crack this thing.
即便我们没有
And if we don't,
你们也会继续的 对吗
you will right?
好 你问吧
Yeah, go ahead.
NASA不是预言说
Didn't NASA predict
我们会在接下来的十年内
we'll find evidence life exists
发现地外生命吗
beyond Earth within the next decade?
在你接触这一行有些年月以后
After you've been in this field a while
你甚至能从一把盐里作出预言
you'll learn to take predictions with a grain of salt.
不过情况确实是在好转
But the game is changing though.
TESS和詹姆斯·韦伯望远镜即将启用
The TESS and James Webb telescopes launch soon,
我们有所发现的可能性将会大大提高
we'll stand a much better shot at finding something.
就好像你
It just seems like you...
拜托 别停啊 越来越有趣了
Please. Don't stop. This is getting interesting.
如果你因为
If you're frustrated
你本人什么都没发现而丧气
that you personally haven't found anything,
那你再继续观测下去也毫无意义
then maybe it's pointless for you to keep looking.
我很好奇 这是一个事实还是你的想法
I'm curious, is that a fact or just your opinion?
听着 我只是觉得
Look, I just think...
-你觉得 那是你的想法咯 -对啊
- You think. So it's your opinion. - Yeah.
如果你觉得这条路行不通还浪费时间
If you feel this is a dead end to you that wastes your time,
干嘛不去做点儿别的研究
might as well do other things.
那还有什么是比回答我们是否是唯一生命
What other things could be more important to humanity
更重要的研究呢
than answering the question, "Are we alone?"
繁衍生息算吗
Uh, reproduction?
或者 甚至 爱
Or like, love, even?
爱 倒是个好提议
Love? That's pretty good.
你叫什么来着
Remind me of your name.
基弗
Kiefer.
你很不错 基弗
Nice, Kiefer.
那你现在有对象吗 基弗
Uh, you're seeing anyone, Kiefer?
现在没有
No not really.
好 我们何不用科学的角度来看这件事
Okay. Why don't we do what scientists do?
我们先来看看数据
Let's take a look at the data.
好吧 L代表爱的值
All right. L is the value of love.
现在教室里有250个学生
Now, we have 250 students in this class, or...
至少报名了这门课
At least, enrolled in this class.
研究表明八成的你们是会结婚的
Four out of every five of you statistically will get married.
也就是200个学生会结婚
So, that's 200 students married.
去年我们了解到有四成的婚姻
Now last year we learned that two out of five marriages
会走向离婚
will end in divorce.
也就是还剩下120个
Which gives us 120.
你们当中只120个会
One hundred and twenty of you who
坠入爱河并白首不离
will fall in love and stay married.
也就是一半还不到的人
That's less than half the people in this class.
但那只是婚姻啊
But that's just marriage.
你说得很对 我们可以继续说说
You're absolutely right. Let's talk about the 85%
有85%的亲密关系会分手
of relationships that end in break-ups.
或者20%的分手会导致抑郁
Or the 20% of breakups that lead to depression,
甚至有3%的分手会导致自杀
or the 3% that lead to suicide.
等一下 还有56%的人
Well, wait. Let's talk about the 56% of people
承认在一段关系中出过轨
who admit to a history of infidelity in their relationship.
这不过只是一些数据
Those are just random statistics,
并不能证明什么
they don't actually prove anything.
证明
Proof?
很好
Good.
我想问问你们 请诚实回答
I wanna ask you guys something. And be honest.
为情所伤过的请举手
Raise your hand if you've ever been hurt by love.
把值代进德雷克方程式
Plug values into the Drake Equation,
我们肯定会得到一个比零高的数字
we'll sure as hell get a number higher than zero.
你总得选择把时间浪费在什么上面 基弗
You get to choose what you waste your time on, Kiefer.
选外太空更安全
Outer space is a safer bet.
这算个事实吗
Is that a fact?
你说什么
Excuse me?
这是个事实还是你的想法
Is that a fact or is that just your opinion?
这是个有教育意义的意见
It's an educated opinion.
打开书翻到第237页
Let's open up our books to page 237.
伊萨克·布鲁诺博士
博士后研究员
我在网上读过一篇讲生活小妙招的文章
I was reading this article online about life hacks.
有一篇讲提高效率
I read one that says increase productivity
和健康的方法是
and maximize your health with a
每天早上骑30分钟自行车
30-minute bike ride every morning.
我觉得 这算不上小妙招吧
I'm like, that's not a life hack.
就只是一些你能做的事
That's just something you can do.
就多运动
Just exercise.
嘿 这些不是银河中心的照片啊
Hey, those aren't images from the galactic center.
确实不是
Nope.
伊萨克 你该不会动了望远镜
Isaac, you can't be shifting the telescope
去探索地球质量吧
to fish for Earth masses.
这是你顾问的基金 不是你的
This is your advisor's grant money, not yours.
-调回去 -我调了 淡定
-Switch it back. - I did. Relax.
你没动 拜托你调回去
It's still there. Switch it back, please.
我没有 时间流的数据传好了吗
I don't... Is that time stream data transferred yet?
还有一分钟
It says one minute.
我不懂你为什么不能像其他人一样
I don't know why you can't just wait for
等TESS望远镜启用
the TESS to launch like everyone else.
我只是想早点开始
I'm just getting a head start.
在所有公众科学家和他们的狗还在等待数据时
While every citizen scientist and their dog wait for that data,
我已经在寻找宜居星球了
I can actually be looking for a habitable planet.
难道你告诉我你也想成为一个穿着内♥裤♥
Come on, you're telling me you just want to be another guy
坐在家里等着TESS传输数据的人吗
sitting at home looking at TESS data in your underwear?
说实话是的 也算一种生活小妙招吧
Actually, yes. That's a life-hack.
我还可能成为小指挥呢
I might go commando.
穿着条长袍 感受微风轻拂
Just a robe. Get a nice breeze going.
-乔勒 你好 -你好
- Hey, Joelle. Hi. - Hey.
你没听见我们说什么吧
You didn't hear what we were just talking about, did you?
反正不重要 那个
Doesn't matter. Um...
应该就在这附近
This is somehwere here.
确认要切换望远镜吗
否 是
在这儿 你的误差计算很棒
All right, now, your error calculations were great,
但是你把函数中的坐标轴弄错了
but you mislabelled the axes on your plots.
我并没有因此挂了你
I didn't dock you for it.
只想让你在写正式报告时注意点 好吗
Just something to keep in mind for the formal report. Okay?
正在切换望远镜
你应该感到高兴 你做得还不错
You should be happy. You did well.