Um, but this is Eva.
我想能不能麻烦你一下
And I was just wondering would it be
给她点儿水喝
at all possible for her to get some water?
拜托了
Please?
好了 那么
All right. So, um...
你受过什么程度的高等教育
What level of post-secondary education do you have?
高等教育: 大专 本科及研究生教育的总称
等等 你上过学对吧
Wait. You did go to school right?
是的
Yes.
我上过一点高中
I had bits of high school here and there.
但我经常搬家
But I moved around a lot.
好吧 那你不是学生
Okay, so you're not a student.
你有在科学行业进行专业工作的经验吗
Have you worked professionally in any field of science before?
我没有
I haven't. No.
你会编程或者写代码处理数据吗
Can you program or write data-handling code?
或者你有任何相关技能吗
Or have any qualifications at all?
是 我还不够资格
Look, I'm under-qualified.
肯定不够 但我学得很快
For sure. But I'm a fast learner.
我也很努力
And I work very hard.
尤其是在我关心的事情上
Especially when it comes to things I care a lot about.
我每天都在思考
I've wondered almost every single day
宇宙中还会有什么存在
of my life what else could be out there.
你没想过吗
Haven't you?
好吧
Okay. Um...
我需要时间考虑一下
Well, I guess I'm gonna need some time to consider this.
好的
Yeah.
我明天会给你打电♥话♥ 你手♥机♥号♥是多少
I'll give you a call tomorrow. What's your phone number?
我没有手♥机♥也没有座机
I don't have a cellphone or a landline.
我猜你看到了广♥告♥上说提供住处了
I'm guessing you saw I had a room available in my ad.
你还有其他申请者吗
Do you have many other applicants?
还有很多其他选择吗
Are you fielding a lot of other options?
对不起 但我不觉得这能行
Well, I'm sorry, but I don't think this is going to work out.
你收藏的黑胶唱片真了不起
That is an incredible vinyl collection.
谢谢
Thanks.
能放放看吗
Can I?
就一首
Just, like, one song?
-可以 -太棒了
- Yeah. - Great.
那幅《螺旋乐队》是你画的吗
Did you paint the Helix?
创立于1974年的加拿大摇滚乐队
学校里那幅壁画
That mural in school?
唱片封面: 自♥由♥放任的鲍勃·迪伦
你喜欢迪伦
You like Dylan?
是的
Yes.
这是原版吗
Is this an original?
这是我的最爱之一
It was one of my favorites.
为什么是空的
Why is it empty?
我们在搬进来的时候弄丢了
We lost it when we moved in here.
"我们"是谁
Who's we?
我妻子和我
My wife and I.
她在哪儿
Where is she?
她走了
She's gone.
谢谢你
Well, thank you.
没事
Yeah.
非常感谢
Thank you for everything.
走吧 伊娃 走了
Come on, Eva, come on.
你能明天一早就开工吗
Would you be able to start first thing tomorrow?
可以
Yeah.
很好
Good.
我带你去你的房♥间
I'll show you your room.
嘘 没事了 姑娘
Shh. It's okay, girl.
在我们开始工作之前 先定些规矩
Before we start, a couple ground rules.
可以吗
Okay?
我们得保持客观和专业
We're gonna keep this objective and professional.
我们不是室友 不是朋友
We are not roommates, we are not friends.
我们是研究搭档 明白吗
We are research partners. All right?
-明白了 -很好
- Got it. - Good.
那么 我想应该从了解要做什么开始
So, I think we should start something we're gonna be doing.
三倍浓缩美式
Americano with three extra shots.
和一杯温蜂蜜水
And the warm water with honey.
谢谢你
Thank you.
能把这些也收下去吗
Can you take that?
-谢谢你 -谢谢
- Thank you. - Thanks.
你确定这点就够了
You sure that's all you want?
是的 再好不过了
Yeah. This is perfect.
不好意思 刚说到基础
Sorry. So the basics.
基础 你知道凌日法是什么吗
Basics. Um, do you know what the transit method is?
希望我很快会知道
Uh, hopefully I will soon.
这是个很好的起点
It's a good place to start.
好了 假设这是颗恒星
All right. Let's pretend that this is a star.
现在 这就是凌
Now, this is a transit.
这是从前方横越过恒星的物体
It's anything that passes in front of a star,
在这种情况下 是一颗行星
in this case, a planet,
它使得恒星发出的可观测光线变暗
that dims the light we receive from the star.
这是光线
This is the light
在凌日物体从前方横越使恒星变暗的样子
dimming while the transiting object passes in front of the star.
所以 我们通过测量光线随时间的变化
So, we measure the brightness over time
就可以确定行星不同参数
so that we can determine different qualities of that planet.
大小 甚至温度
The size, even temperature,
仅仅通过分♥析♥光线的变化曲线
just by analyzing curves of light.
-明白了吗 -明白了
- Okay? - Okay.
好的 那么
Right. So...
来吧 找出凌
Go. Find the transit.
这里
Hmm. Here.
那是颗新行星
That's a new planet.
什么
What?
这太厉害了
That is amazing.
简直不可思议 对吧
It's incredible, right?
所以 你负责找曲线的凹陷部分
So, you are gonna be finding the dips,
我负责审查数据
and I will be vetting the data.
那我们怎么知道哪些行星上有生命呢
And then how are we gonna know which planets have life?
地球是已知的唯一
Well, we're the only planet that we
能维持生命延续的星球 所以
know capable of sustaining life, so...
地球就是最好的参照对象
We're the best reference point for it.
我们利用这些光的数据
We use this light data
去寻找其他的
to find other planets
与地球在质量和温度上尽可能接近的星球
that are as similar as possible to Earth in mass and temperature.
这是种过度简化法
It's an over-simplification,
但若我们能找到另一个地球
but if we find another Earth...
我们就能找到生命
We can find life.
现在 明年
Now, next year
詹姆斯·韦伯望远镜就会发射升空
the James Webb Space Telescope is gonna launch
我们得让我们的星球
and we need our planet candidate to
成为第一批后续观察对象的候选
be the first follow-up observation.
好的
All right.
很好
Good.
我能问你件事吗
Can I ask you something?
可以
Yeah.
为什么你这么重视寻外星生命
Why is finding life out there so important to you?
你知道人类最大的恐惧是什么吗
You know what people are scared of most?
死亡
Death?
未知
The unknown.
不幸的是 宇宙充满了未知
Which unfortunately this universe is chock-full of.
当然 我们为探索那些未知花了上千年
Sure, we've been chipping away at it for thousands of years,
但仍所知甚少
but we still know basically nothing.
那么我们如何处理未知呢
So how do we process that?
用老办法
We do what we've always done.
编故事
We make things up.
创造出那些精心编排的睡前故事去解释它
Create these elaborate bed-time stories to explain it all.
但假如我们能发现
But if we found something,
哪怕一丝一毫有外星生命存在的线索
even the smallest clue that something else exists out there,
有不同于我们的存在
something entirely different,
我们便能挣脱黑暗
we wouldn't be the dark anymore.
电影精选列表