能摆脱恐惧
We wouldn't have to be scared.
这么说
So...
你认为人类会编故事的唯一原因
You think that the only reason we tell stories
是因为我们在害怕
is because we're scared?
是恐惧
Terrified.
但假如编故事只是一种人类本能呢
Okay, but what if telling stories is just a part of human nature?
我不想再惺惺作态了 我想我们都是
I'm done playing pretend. I think we all should be.
好吧
Okay. Okay.
这个怎么样
What about this?
假如说有个绝顶聪明
Let's say there's this scientist who is brilliant,
又受人尊敬的科学家
and very well-respected
他在他的领域里完成了颠覆性的
who makes game-changing, world-altering
改变世界的成就
advancements in his filed.
但他信教
But he's also religious
他的动力就是他的信仰
His driving force is his faith,
他信仰那个被你称为睡前故事的上帝
his belief in God, a bedtime story.
但他的成果是科学的 进步的
But the result of his work is science and progress.
你会对他说什么
What would you say to him?
-我会说什么 -对
-What would I say? -Yes.
我会说 假如你把去教堂的时间花在工作上
I'd say "Skip church and get back to work.
你会更早获得成就
You'll get more done faster."
我觉得他做得挺好
Oh, I think he did just fine.
什么
What?
伊萨克·牛顿先生 我觉得他做得挺不错的
Sir Isaac Newton. I think he did just fine.
行吧 我们有活做了
All right, we've got work to do.
这些是红矮星 比我们的恒星更小更暗
These are M dwarf stars. Smaller, dimmer than our own.
现在 TESS主要专注于像太阳一样
Now, TESS mainly focuses on brighter, bigger stars
更亮更大的恒星
like ours.
但这就意味着
But that means
行星们得在大约每365天绕恒星公转一周
one roughly every 365 days.
红矮星的行星们
These M dwarf stars,
在数周内就能绕它们一周
planets orbit them in a matter of weeks.
所以就不用等那么久了
So, less waiting around.
没错 如果我们专注于这些恒星
Exactly. So if we focus on these stars, we have edge
我们将比其他使用这些数据的人更有优势
over everyone else looking through this data.
是的 就是这样
That's it. That's...
所以这个就是 真的嘛
So is that gonna be a... Really?
-我们找到一个了 -太棒了吧
- We got one. - That's so cool.
急什么
Why the rush?
詹姆斯·韦伯望远镜将会跟进
The James Webb telescope will follow
被TESS发现的行星
up on planets discovered by TESS.
如果我们最先拥有完美候选行星
If we're the first ones with the perfect candidate,
我们就会有机会参与一些更加巨大有意义的事
we have a chance to be part of something huge.
你是指当我们会找到更多的同行 对吗
You mean when we find out we're not alone.
这里 这是一颗行星吗
There. Is that a planet?
不 看到那里的急剧下降了吗
No. You see that sharp drop,
它可能什么也不是
it's probably nothing.
继续找
Keep looking.
你不吃东西的吗
So, do you ever eat,
还是说 你光靠做这个就能维持生命
or does doing this just completely sustain you?
食物 那是什么
Food? What's that?
你发现的那个奇怪的下降 是一颗行星
So, that strange dip you caught, it's a planet.
很有前途的一颗
A promising one.
看 就在这
Look. Right there.
不幸的是
Unfortunately,
TESS的节律错过了整个窗口期
TESS' cadence missed the full transit,
因此我们需要自己进行一次全新的窗口期观察
so we need to get a new transit ourselves
去证明它
to help prove it.
这意味着我们需要一台望远镜
Which means we're gonna need a telescope.
谢谢
Thank you.
有办法了吗
Anything?
没有
No.
我们应该提前几个月去申请望远镜时间的
We're supposed to apply for telescope time months in advance.
那边那台怎么样
Well, what about that one?
我们要的 我们要的是那种
We need... We need one like the one I
我曾经在大学里用过的那种
used to operate through the university.
所以 我们为什么不用他们的望远镜
So why don't we use theirs?
小心学校里的保安
Keep an eye out for the campus security.
这会花一点时间
This is gonna take a while.
好 明白了
Okay. Got it.
快点
Come on.
走
Go.
望远镜在哪
Where's the telescope?
我们的许多研究都是在银河系的中心
A lot of our research is based in the galactic center,
那里只有在南半球才能见到
which is only visible from the southern hemisphere.
我们使用的是一台位于智利的
The one we use is a remote robotic telescope
可远程控制机器人式望远镜
based out of Chile.
通常我们仅需单击几下鼠标就可以访问它
Normally we access it with just a couple clicks.
但考虑到我目前的就业情况
But given my current employment status,
我需要打一个电♥话♥
I gotta make a phone call.
你好 嗨
Hello. Hi, uh, hola.
我叫布鲁诺博士 伊萨克·布鲁诺博士
My name is Dr. Bruno Dr. Isaac Bruno.
我上次访问望远镜是在
I last accessed the telescope on
3月14日凌晨3点
March 14th at approximately 3:00 a.M.
对 对
Si, si.
我能把望远镜移到新的天体坐标上吗
Uh, could I have the telescope shifted to new celestial coordinates?
不 不 我有许可
No, no. I have permission.
来自
From... Uh...
杜兰特
查尔斯·杜兰特博士
Dr. Charles Durant.
对 编号♥917836187
Yes, ID number 917836187.
不 他不
No, he's not...
听着 我们只使用几个小时 好吗
Listen, this only gonna take a couple of hours, okay?
之后我们会把望远镜放回
And then we'll put the telescope back...
克莱拉 等等 你在做什么
Clara, hold on, what are you...
[西语]
她说还需要15分钟 之后就是我们的
All right, she said it will take 15 minutes, but it will be ours.
你怎么说的
What did you say?
我问候了一下她过得怎样
I asked her how her day was.
我刚刚正打算要这么说
I was about to get to that.
是啊 我知道你打算要这么做
Yeah. I knew you were.
天文台正在对图像进行预处理
The observatory is pre-processing the images now,
在我们能够下载数据之前需要等一会
It's gonna be a little while until we can download the data.
那么 这些被你带在身边的石头是什么啊
So what are these rocks you take everywhere with you?
这是来自秘鲁瓦伊瓦什的黑曜石
This is obsidian from the Huayhuash pass in Peru.
来自赞比亚的紫水晶
Amethyst from Zambia.
来自澳大利亚的天青石
Celestine from Australia.
在那里这个真的非常罕见
It's really rare there,
事实上 这是一份礼物
actually, this was a gift.
来自纳瓦亨的黄铁矿
Pyrite from Navajun.
这块其实非常不纯
This piece is pretty impure,
但我看到它们被从地下切出来
but I watched them chip them out of
仿佛它们就是被这么设计的
the ground like they were designed,
像是被打印成了完美的立方体
printed as perfect cubes.
这个呢
What about one?
你会喜欢这个的
You're gonna like this one.
这是来自南极洲的陨石
It's a meteorite from Antarctica.
球粒陨石
Chondrite.
对
Yeah.
你知道这个比太阳的年龄还大吗
You know this is older than the Sun?
你为什么去南极
Why did you go to Antarctica?
事实上那曾经是我无法到达的大♥陆♥
That was actually the one continent that I couldn't get to,
但它确实我的第一个
but that was my first one.
-那就是我想要旅行的原因 -什么原因
- That's what made me want to travel. - Why?
我在这里长大
I grew up around here,
有集体的关怀 有寄养家庭的照顾
group care, foster homes.
虽然大多数情况下他们都不怎么样
And they weren't great for the most part,
但他们曾经让我们
but they used to let us go on these
去海滨或者岛屿旅行
trips to the waterfront or to the island.
你知道的 我会选择做自己然后偷偷溜走
You know, and me being me I would sneak off,
我会找到一些家庭
and I would find families with
电影精选列表