但如果你有的话 我不会感到惊讶
but I wouldn't be surprised if you had.
不 我不是在告诉你如何管理你的机构
No, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your institution,
但作为一名校友 我说我非常失望
but as an alumnus, I'm saying I'm exceptionally disappointed
因为你的决定
by your decision.
很明显 你忘了我捐了10万美元
Well, obviously, you're forgetting that I contributed $100,000...
-你疯了吗?-班尼特
- Are you out of your mind? - Bennett.
-你别忙活了 -你知道什么?你是对的
- You're not helping. - You know what? You're right.
我们为什么不再坐飞机去那边 进行一次面对面的免试呢?
Why don't we fly out there again and have another in-person interview?
-他们已经决定了 -不
- They've made up their minds. - No.
没那么简单 班尼特
It's not that simple... Bennett.
班尼特 没这么简单
Bennett, it's never that simple.
我认识这些人
I know these people.
有时你不得不弯曲他们的手臂
Sometimes you just have to bend their arm...
不 不用弯曲
No! There's no bending.
他们看到了这个申请 但还不够好
They saw the application, and it wasn't good enough.
故事结束了 有时你输了
End of story. Sometimes you lose.
输了?
Lose?
你是什么…?
What are you...?
没有
No.
我们还有足够的时间打电♥话♥给欠我人情的朋友
We still have plenty of time for me to call my friend who owes me.
我唯一应该关注的是镜子里的那个家伙 记得吗?
The only thing I should focus on is that dude in the mirror, remember?
这不一样
This is different.
你必须开始考虑那个我不去耶鲁的世界
You have to start considering a world where I don't go to Yale.
这是你的未来 班尼特
This is your future, Bennett.
我想要你认真点
I'm gonna need you to take it a bit more seriously.
你觉得我会不知道吗?
You don't think I know that?
你知道我花了多少时间在上面吗?
You know how much time I've spent trying to get in?
我上了多少课?
How many classes I've taken?
有多少个晚上我睡不着?
How many nights I've gotten no sleep?
我想得要死 但那又怎样?
I wanted it bad. But so what?
如果我不去耶鲁 我就没有未来吗?
Will I not have a future if I don't go to Yale?
没有一个光明的未来
Not as bright a future.
哇
Wow!
所以这都是扯淡?
So it's all bullshit?
什么?
What?
你提供大学奖学金
You give out college scholarships
-给那些付不起钱的穷孩子们 -班尼特
- to poor kids who can't afford it. - Bennett.
他们不会去耶鲁或哈佛 你送他们去公立学校
They're not going to Yale or Harvard. You send them to public school.
-你为什么要做这么浪费的事?-因为他们一无所有
- Why do you do it if it's such a waste? - Because they have nothing!
我们给他们一些东西让他们坚持下去
We give them something to hold on to.
你…
You...
班尼特 你什么都有
Bennett, you come from everything.
你期待一切
And you expect everything!
任何的不足都是让人失望的
And anything less is a disappointment.
-不 -不 你是这么说的
- No. - No. That's what you're saying.
期望是如此之高……
The expectations are so high...
耶鲁让像我这样一无所有的女孩
Yale made it possible for a girl like me who comes from nothing
成就了自己的事业
to make something of herself.
-是耶鲁还是别的什么?-这不是我想说的
- So it's Yale or nothing? - That's not what I'm saying.
那你在说什么 妈妈?
Then what are you saying, Mom?
嗯?
Hmm?
是 我就是这么想的
Yeah. That's what I thought.
班尼特
Bennett.
早上好 你有什么事?
Good morning. What do you have for me?
-给你 -谢谢
- Here you go. - Thanks.
我能帮你们吗?
Can I help you guys?
我只是在等凯西
I was just waiting to see Kathy.
是的 我也是
Yeah, me, too.
我很抱歉 呃
I'm sorry. Uh...
凯西去世了
Kathy passed away.
凯西 指导顾问 糖果
Kathy, the guidance counselor. The candy...
凯西在出了事故……
Kathy was in an accident...
星期五放学后
after school on Friday.
我
I'm...
准备向学校的其他人宣布这个消息
...about to make the announcement to the rest of the school.
我很抱歉
I'm so sorry.
在路的尽头 我想我们会在这里看到凯西的
On the way over, I sort of thought we were gonna see Kathy here.
我知道这没有任何意义
I know that doesn't make any sense.
但是 我的意思是 这就像她的葬礼 所以
But, I mean, it's, like, her funeral, and so...
她应该在这里 你知道吗?
she should be here, you know?
是的
Yeah.
我感觉像你♥爸♥爸的仪式
I felt that way about your dad's service.
你记得我爸爸的葬礼吗?
You remember my dad's service?
我们六岁
We were six.
那是我参加过的第一个葬礼
It was the first funeral I had ever been to.
嗯 我也是
Yeah, mine, too.
嘿
Hey, uh...
我看了那部快餐纪录片
I watched that fast food documentary.
你说得对
You were right.
吃垃圾食品会严重损害你的器官
Eating that junk food could seriously damage your organs.
我告诉过你
I told you.
是啊 奶昔不健康
Yeah. Milkshakes are no good.
还有炸薯条
And fries.
你有收获吗?
Did you get in?
没有
No.
你呢?
You?
没有
No.
我们为什么要这么做?
What did we do it for?
什么?
What?
所有的
Everything.
我的意思是 我觉得我们不是真正的高中生
I mean, I don't think we were ever really high schoolers.
你是在告诉我 那些课程和考试都是我梦到的吗?
Are you telling me that I dreamed up all those classes and tests?
不 我是说我们从不
No, I'm saying we never...
你参加了多少场足球比赛?
How many football games did you go to?
我不喜欢足球
I don't believe in football.
我也是 聚会呢?
Neither do I. How about parties?
我更不喜欢它们
I believe in them even less.
上课偷懒呢?
What about goofing off in class?
或者是传些愚蠢的小纸条?
Or passing stupid notes?
或者因为一个笑话笑哭?
Or laughing at a joke so hard that you start crying?
那是你的高中吗?
Is that high school to you?
我不知道
I don't know.
我太忙了
I was too busy with...
有家庭作业 考试和辩论
with homework, tests and debate.
是的 那是高中
Yeah, that's high school.
好吧 如果是这样的话 你怎么会没有那么多朋友呢?
Okay, if it is, how come you don't have tons of friends?
闭嘴 你不了解我
Shut up. You don't know me.
嘿
Hey.
如果你和我一样
If you're anything like me,
凯西是你唯一能真正交谈的人
Kathy was the only person you could really talk to.
如果我们在大学里所经历的一切都是一样的呢?
What if everything we went through will be the exact same in college?
你这么认为?
You think so?
我敢肯定 常春藤盟校有足球比赛和聚会
I'm pretty sure the Ivy League has football games and parties,
总会有人把画传给我
and there's always gonna be someone passing stupid drawings.
你想说什么?
What's your point?
我希望我有一个朋友
I wish I had one.
我们真的只有凯西
We could really use Kathy right now.
是的
Yeah.
为什么这张桌子这么贵
...and what makes this table so expensive
它是由沙漠铁木制成的
is it's made of desert ironwood
来自于多年生开花的蝶形花科
from a perennial flowering tree of the Fabaceae family.
沙漠铁木?你确定吗?
Desert ironwood? Are you sure?
你不会每天都遇到沙漠铁木 所以是的
You don't come across desert ironwood every day, so yes.
别误会我的意思 你坐在沙发上真的很好
Don't get me wrong, it's really nice having you here on the couch,
但那不是你
but it's just not you.
几周后是国家赛
State tournament's in a few weeks.
很抱歉 是和班尼特
I'm sorry it's with Bennett...
朱莉娅有什么地方让你喜欢吗?
Is there anything that you like about Julia?
什么?
What?
任何事情
Anything at all.
电影精选列表