但首先 我们有一位特邀发言人
But first, we have a special guest speaker.
女士们 先生们
Ladies and gentlemen,
下面有请我们某位辩手的母亲 我们的参议员 茱莉亚拉塞尔 上台讲话
a few words from a debate mom and our state senator, Julia Russell.
谢谢
Thank you.
我知道你们一直在辩论高等教育的利弊
I know you've been debating the pros and cons of higher education all day,
所以我简单说几句
and so I will be brief,
因为我不想抢孩子们的风头
since I don't want to steal the spotlight from the kids.
不过 她简直就在抢孩子们的风头
Yet she's literally stealing the spotlight from the kids.
耶鲁校友协会帮助我获得了我第一份律师的工作
The Yale Alumni Association helped me get my first job practicing law.
所以我创立了这个基金会
And so I started this foundation
这样我就可以帮助别人了
so that I might be able to help others with their start.
今天 我们的资助人包括 奥普拉温弗里
And today, our donors include Oprah Winfrey...
博诺 马克扎克伯格
...Bono, Mark Zuckerberg.
每个参与进来的人总是说同样的话
And everyone who gets involved always says the same thing.
别再提那么多的名字了
Stop dropping so many names?
他们说 他们的成功始于职业道德
They say that their success started with a work ethic
职业道德又始于你们现在这个年纪
that began when they were your age.
听这个女人说话的代价可比受益大多了
The costs of listening to this woman outweigh the benefits.
-当你更投入 -妈妈 别说了
- As you become more involved... - Mom, stop it.
对不起 观众似乎似乎有点分心
Sorry, it seems like there is a distraction somewhere in the audience,
可能是我占用了太多的时间
which probably means I'm taking up too much time.
我很抱歉 参议员 我应该举手的
My apologies, Senator. I should've raised my hand.
上帝啊
My God.
我只是好奇你是否能给我们你对成功的定义
I was just curious if you could give us your definition of success.
这是个很好的问题
That's a great question.
但不幸的是 这不是问答环节
But, unfortunately, this is not a Q and A.
只是你刚刚列出的那些人都是亿万富翁
It's just the people you just listed are all multi-billionaires.
那么 你是说财富才是衡量成功的最好方法吗?
So are you saying that type of wealth is the best way to measure success?
跟你们大家说一下
Full disclosure, everyone,
艾米斯金纳和我是高中朋友
Amy Skinner and I are old high school friends,
所以我们喜欢时不时地和别人开玩笑
and so we like to jest with one another from time to time.
不是吗 艾米?
Isn't that right, Amy?
我只是问问关于成功的问题
I'm just asking about success.
我有个好主意
Oh! And I have a great idea.
你为什么不上来
Why don't you come up here
和大家分享你的成功故事?
and share with everyone your success story?
我相信这些学生一定会喜欢听的
I'm sure that these students would love to hear all about it.
我的意思是 原谅我 我自己也不完全清楚所有的细节 所以
I mean, forgive me, I'm not entirely clear on all the details myself, so...
不用了 谢谢 我不想抢走孩子们的风头
No, thanks. I wouldn't want to steal the spotlight from the kids.
她们是我们没有不合格的原因
They were the reason we didn't qualify.
在艾米和茱莉亚争吵了后 评委们中止了颁奖典礼
After Amy and Julia went at it, the judges stopped the awards ceremony
然后花了5分钟的时间讨论 才宣布合格者
and took five minutes to talk before they announced the qualifiers.
这不公平
It's not fair.
你有没有想过你会失败的可能性?
Have you ever considered the possibility that sometimes you lose?
中学也发生过同样的事情 两次
The same thing happened in middle school. Twice.
或者有时你输了
Or sometimes you lose.
不经常输
Not often.
约翰逊先生说你下个月还有机会
Mr. Johnson said you have another shot next month.
不过是团队
That's just for teams.
-还有? -我没有搭档
- And? - And I don't have a partner.
和郎娜一起去
Go with Lona.
你现在对巧克力很有好感
You're high on chocolate right now.
当我工作情绪高涨的时候 你知道的
When I come to work high, you'll know it.
问会计处的黛比
Ask Debbie in Accounting.
我们灭了彼此的
We'd kill each other.
不 我不可能和那个人一起辩论
No. There is no possible way that I'm gonna debate alongside the guy
他在七年级的时候把我的生物课本撕坏了几页
who in the seventh grade ripped pages out of my biology textbook
导致我不能做家庭作业
so I couldn't do my homework.
事实上 他总是很混 每天 对每个人来说
It's a fact that he is a dick to everyone every day all the time.
这是一条我们跨不过去的平行线
That's a line we don't cross. The dick line.
不交叉的平行线
Don't cross the dick line.
我们两个人本该都有资格以个人参赛的 这不公平
We both should've qualified as individuals. It's not fair.
-有时你也会输 -你知道我的意思
- Or sometimes you lose. - You know what I mean.
你应该看看那些孩子是多么的愚蠢
You should've seen how dumb some of those kids were.
我相信他们有才华 有他们自己的才华
I'm sure they're talented. Talented in their own way.
其中一个不知道新墨西哥的首都
One of them didn't know the capital of New Mexico.
那太尴尬了
Oh, that's embarrassing.
-阿尔伯克基 -圣达菲
- Albuquerque. - Santa Fe.
我知道
I know.
听着 你们俩是这个县最好的辩手
Listen, you're the two best debaters in the county.
你俩一起 你就有资格参加国家锦标赛 还有就是
Together, you could qualify for State and that's another thing
你可以去哈佛 对吧?
you can send off to Harvard, right?
-你在浪费时间 我们输了 -你能让我说完吗?
- You're wasting your time. We lost. - Can you let me finish?
-最后期限过去了 -但是我们可以顶替双胞胎
- The deadline passed. - But we have the twins' slot.
-那对双胞胎发生了什么事? -他们退出了
- What happened to the twins? - They dropped out.
-因为锦标赛? -因为社团
- Of the tournament? - Of the club.
郎娜 停
Lona, stop.
我要凭这个进耶鲁 你想进入哈佛
I need this for Yale. And you want to get into Harvard.
我们已经递交了申请
We already turned in our applications.
我们都知道招生办公室
Come on, we both know that the admissions office
在做决定时会考虑我们
will take into consideration any honors we receive
所获的任何荣誉
while they're making their decisions.
-我们没有资格 -是的 但我们会有的
- We wouldn't qualify. - Yes, we would.
-不 你有个非常不好的习惯 -你不尊重你的对手
- No, you have extremely bad habits. - You disrespect your opponents.
-你不尊重裁判 -你的口气不好
- You disrespect the judges. - You have bad breath.
-你有…愚蠢的脸 -一张愚蠢的脸
- You have... Stupid face! - A stupid face.
我想你是想说你有一张愚蠢的脸
I think you meant to say you have a stupid face.
不 实际上 我是想说你是个混♥蛋♥
No, actually, I meant to say that you're a dick.
你认为我想要这个吗?
Do you... Do you think I want this?
-我不会要 -我也不要
- I certainly don't. - Neither do I.
在这所学校的每个人当中
Out of everyone in this school,
你是我最不愿意与之共事的人
you're literally the last person I want to work with.
-非常 非常不愿意 -谢谢
- The very, very last. - Thank you.
你以自我为中心 你在交火时加速说
You're egocentric, you speed through crossfire
而且你拒绝循环
and you refuse to flow rounds.
我每一回合都在循环
I flow every single one of my rounds.
对于你的信息 当你们双方在交火时
And for your information, when you speed through crossfire,
你会遇到更多的问题 你会让对方感到紧张
you get through more questions and you make the other team nervous.
不 我认为你是对的 我们没有资格
No, I think you're right, we wouldn't qualify.
-你还不够优秀 -呵 拜托
- You're just not good enough. - Oh, please.
我可以带飞 拿到参赛资格和国家冠军
I could carry us both through qualifiers and state championship.
-你以为我们会赢吗? -会 如果你不挡我的路
- You think we'd win? - Yeah, if you got out of my way.
-你得证明 -我会的
- Prove it. - I will.
所以你这是同意了 你要证明我是错的 下个月我们会以团队参赛
So it's agreed. You'll prove me wrong, we'll play as a team, qualify next month,
赢得国家锦标赛
and win the state tournament.
放学后我们在我家学习
We'll start studying after school at my place.
我来作陈述
I'll give the opening statement.
不 我要作陈述
No, I'm gonna give the opening statement.
班尼特 这轮是前5分钟比赛的其中之一
Bennett, the round is one of the first five minutes.
你的论点太多了 不能影响任何一个回合
You make too many arguments and don't impact any of them.
所以我们不能因此输掉比赛 另外
So we lose the round because of that. In addition to that...
如果在工作时间花那么久
If you did your work for the amount of time
-和我争论 -我已经做完了
- you spend arguing with me... - I'm already done.
我已经做完了 我已经完成了第二页
I'm already done. I already finished page two.
-好吧 开始第三页 -没有第三页
- Well, start page three. - There is no page three.
不 不
No. No.
-不 不 -停
- No, no. - Stop.
对不起
Excuse me.
-什么? -不
- What? - No.
你问任何一个老师 他们都会告诉你 你用脑记东西
Ask any teacher, they will tell you that when you write something physically,
比你在电脑上记 记得更清楚
it sticks to your brain better than when you do it on your computer.
借过下 谢谢
Excuse me. Thank you.
-居高临下的语气?-法官们不会喜欢的
- Condescending tone? - Which the judges do not appreciate.
此外 它给整个回合定下了基调
And besides, it sets the tone for the entire round.
我的评委们很欣赏我的语调 我的语气非常友好
My judges appreciate my tone. I have a very welcoming tone.
好了 够了 毕加索 我来做最后的修改
Okay, enough, Picasso. I'll make these last changes
-然后发电子邮件给你 -或者我可以做
- and email them to you. - Or I can do it.
-不 我可以做 -我能轻而易举做到
- No, I can do it. - I can easily do it.
是的 你可以轻而易举地做很多事情 班尼特
Yeah, you can easily do a lot of things, Bennett.
听着 我要做一些调整 明天见
Look, I'll make the changes and see you tomorrow.
电影精选列表