当然 这很容易 但你会蜷缩在……
Sure, it goes down easy. But you'll be curled over...
他们说今晚可能会下雨
They said it was supposed to rain tonight.
可能吧
It might.
你为什么在这里吃东西?嗯?
Why are you even eating here? Hmm?
你的私人厨师放假了吗?
Is your personal chef on holiday?
他在伯利兹度假
He's vacationing in Belize.
我没有厨师
I don't have a chef.
好吧 你应该找一个 因为这些垃圾食品会杀了你
Well, you should, because this crap will kill you.
我不明白怎么会有人喜欢在这里吃饭
I don't know how anyone could make the conscious decision to eat here.
我不喝这个
I'm not drinking it.
好喝吧?
Right? Yeah?
这一次 把薯条放进去
This time, dip a fry inside.
真恶心
That's disgusting.
加上薯条就更美味了
Everything's better with fries.
我的意思是 甜和咸交汇的完美
I mean, sweet and salty perfection.
喏
Here.
试试吧
Try it.
不了 谢谢
No, thank you.
一件外套而已
It's just a jacket.
谢谢你的奶昔
Thanks for the shake.
明天别迟到
Don't be late tomorrow.
班尼特 我是妈妈
Hi, Bennett. It's your mother.
我知道你在里面
I know you're inside,
我也知道今天是预选赛的日子
but I know today is also the day for the qualifiers,
所以我想祝你好运
so I wanted to wish you luck
因为我知道你有资格参加那个国家赛
because I know you are going to qualify and be at that state tournament.
我还想告诉你 为了迎接这种兴奋
I also wanted to let you know that in anticipation of that excitement,
我在那家旅馆订了两间房♥ 一间是有瀑布的
I reserved us two rooms at that hotel, the one with the waterfall.
我等不及了
I can't wait.
不管怎样 祝你有个美好的一天 亲爱的 差点忘了
Anyway, have a great day, honey. Oh! And before I forget,
我把那套我认为很迷人的衣服放在你的床上了
I laid on your bed that outfit that I think is just so damn charming.
我太兴奋了 我爱你
I'm so excited. I love you!
所以你喜欢辩反方还是正方?
So do you like arguing the con side or the pro side?
正方叫做“aff”反方叫做“neg”
It's called "aff" for affirmative and "neg" for negative.
不管怎么叫 我就这么说
That's what I meant, aff or neg.
-没关系 -不 我知道 但是
- It doesn't matter. - No, I know, but...
这就是为什么我们一整年都在讨论同个论题
That's why we have the same debate topic all year long,
这样我们就能更好地了解双方
so that we get to know both sides intimately.
但是你希望你能辩哪一方呢?
But which one are you hoping that you get to argue?
这种想法是失败者的心态
That sort of thinking is a loser's mentality.
一个测试 该死 我把手♥机♥落在车里了
Totally. It was a test. Oh, shit! I left my phone in the car.
-我在里面等你 -好的
- I'll meet you inside. - Okay.
-嗨 艾米 -茱莉亚
- Oh! Hi, Amy. - Julia.
宝贝 我们里面见
Baby, I'll see you inside.
班尼特告诉我 朗娜申请了哈佛大学
Bennett tells me Lona's applied to Harvard.
没错
That's right.
这太不可思议了
That is incredible.
人要要有远大的梦想 你不能听批评者的意见
You gotta dream big, you know. You can't listen to what the critics say.
如果你想做某件事 就放手去做
If you want to do something, you do it.
-班尼特申请了耶鲁大学? -是的
- Bennett's applying to Yale? - Yeah.
我的意思是 很显然 不管他去哪里我都会很开心
I mean, obviously, I would've been happy if he went anywhere
但他只爱耶鲁 所以
but he just fell in love with it, so...
儿子就像妈妈一样
Like mother, like son.
对
Right.
你要从车里拿东西出来吗?
Oh, did you want to get something from your car?
哦
Oh!
我打算拿 但刚好我们在谈话 所以
I was going to grab something but then we started talking, so...
你可以现在拿 然后我们一起进去
You can get it and then we can go in together.
不用 不是很重要
No, it's no big deal.
抱歉 不是很重要是你不需要拿
I'm sorry? It's no big deal and you don't need anything,
还是说不是很重要 你不想让我等你?
or it's no big deal and you don't want me to wait?
我得去找找它 你得站在那
I would have to look for it and you would just be standing there
我不想搞得那么尴尬 所以
and I didn't want it to be awkward, so...
艾米 我在里面等你
I'll see you inside, Amy.
那接下来是什么?
What was that back there?
每个人要做的第一件事是去了解
Everyone found out their first assignment.
他们和谁辩论 什么时间 什么地点
Who they're debating, what time and where.
-就你们两个? -是的
- Even you two? - Yep.
-你们为什么不看手♥机♥? -这是软弱的表现
- Why didn't you look at your phones? - It's a sign of weakness.
所以你们觉得你们会再次获胜吗?
So you guys think you're gonna win again?
在地区预选赛中 没有赢家
At a regional qualifier, there's no winner.
前四名选手将进入国家锦标赛
The top four contestants will move on to the state tournament.
大学教育的成本高于其收益
The costs of a college education are outweighed by the benefits.
大学教育是经济流动性的一个强有力的 积极的预测指标
A college education is a strong, positive predictor of economic mobility...
想想为什么大学教育的成本如此之高
Consider why the costs of a college education are way...
人们在大学里没有学到任何实质性的东西
People don't learn anything substantial in college...
1970年 几乎60%的高中毕业生
In 1970, almost 60 percent of high school graduates...
如此多的学生在开始大学学习前 需要重新学习
The fact that such a high number of students need to be re-taught skills
高中学过的知识 这一事实表明
learned in high school prior to commencing collegiate study
那些不该上大学的人最终还是会上大学
demonstrates people are ending up in college who should not be there.
还有人没准备好吗?
Is anyone not ready?
我认同 大学教育的成本高于收益这一观点
I affirm the costs of a college education are outweighed by the benefits.
侦察潜在的对手总是很重要
It's always important to scout potential opponents.
但你们今天没有任何辩论了
But you don't have any more debates today.
我们正在物色国际锦标赛的对手
We're scouting opponents for the state tournament.
这是他的陈述时间
This is his opening statement
-这就是为什么他会如此… -可爱?
- which is why he's being so... - Cute?
我想说的是含糊不清 但肯定的
Well, I was gonna say vague, but sure.
我们这里这么做 所以你必须投赞成票
We do that here and that is why you must vote aff.
还有人没准备好吗?
Is anybody not ready?
大学入学费用是否值得
Whether or not college is worth the price of admissions
不是我们今天应该讨论的辩题
is not the debate we should be having today.
我给你们讲个故事
Let me tell you a story.
为了养家 我的父母都需要打两份工
Both of my parents have to work two jobs to provide for my family.
他们也没有足够的资金
And they don't have the luxury of funding
来供我参加备考课程 作文训练和导师指导
the test prep courses, essay coaches and tutors
而我的许多同龄人都有机会接触到这些 从而获得很多优势
that many of my peers have access to in order to get a leg up...
-为什么她说话这么慢? -嘘
- Why is she talking so slow? - Shh!
认真听
Pay attention.
录取过程是可取的
...the admissions process is desirable.
它更好 更适合 甚至很有必要
Better yet, appropriate, or even necessary,
考虑到它给个别学生和他们的家庭
given the significant social and financial pressures that it places
带来了巨大的社会和经济压力
on individual students and their families,
尤其是像我这样来自低收入家庭的学生
especially those from low-income households
-就像我成长的那个 -这样的辩论是允许的吗?
- like the one I grew up in. - Is debating like this even allowed?
规则规定你应该提供证据来论证aff或neg
The rules state you're supposed to offer evidence to argue aff or neg.
但是你使用论据也是辩论
But the evidence you use is, well, debatable.
我不明白
I don't get it.
好吧 如果我说水是湿的
Okay, if I was going to argue water is wet,
我的证据是科学数据 在地球上
my evidence would be scientific data that proves on Planet Earth,
纵观历史 水总是被证明是湿的
throughout history, time and time again, water has always been proven wet.
-我会引用我的参考资料-因为这些都是事实
- And I would cite my references. - Because those are facts.
这比我的证明水是湿的更有说服力
And it's way more convincing than if my evidence was water is wet
因为我曾经碰过一次
because I touched it once.
因为你无法接触到证据
Because you can't touch the evidence.
-不 因为这就是轶事 -是什么?
- No. Because it's anecdotal. - It's what?
这就是贾丝明现在在做的 以及她的每一场辩论都这么做
It's what Jasmine was doing and what she does every debate.
她谈到了她的个人经历和轶事
She talks about her personal experiences, anecdotes.
她可以那样做吗?
And she can do that?
当然 她可以那么做 但很冒险
Sure, she can do it but it's risky.
她的语速很慢 所以她不能拿到很多分
Her slow pace keeps her from being able to make as many points.
所以 她为了赢得比赛……
Therefore, in order for her to win a competition...
她从来没有赢过
Which she never has.
贾丝明必须表明 她个人的亲身经历
...Jasmine would have to show that her own personal experiences
从某种方面而言 比事实更重要
are, for some reason, more important than facts.
永远坚持事实 贾丝明在打一场败仗
Always stick to the facts. Jasmine's fighting a losing battle.
也许她不在乎她能不能赢
Maybe she doesn't care if she wins.
过一会儿 我将宣布
In just a moment, I'll be announcing
我们四名决赛选手的名字
the names of our four finalists
谁将继续参加今年的国家锦标赛
who will go on to compete for our state tournament this year.
电影精选列表