你必须态度好些
You have to make it better.
要我态度好些吗
I have to make it better?
他不听我的话
He disobeyed me.
当你离开家的时候
When you left home,
你父母求你留在卡拉奇
your parents begged you to stay in Karachi
那你为什么要离开呢
so why did you go?
我希望我的家庭有更好的生活
I wanted a better life for my family.
你觉得你比他们懂得多
You thought you knew better than them.
他只想在曼彻斯特上几年学
He just wants to study to be a writer
然后当个作家
for a few years in Manchester.
你永远地离开了巴基斯坦
You were leaving Pakistan for good.
我让你来这里是因为我信任你
I let you come here because I trusted you.
你能信任你自己的儿子吗
Can you not trust your own son?
如果你现在不挽回
If you don't try to fix this now,
我们会永远失去他
we will lose our son for good.
如果真到了那一步 我永远不会原谅你
And if that happens, I will never forgive you.
父亲和儿子
Huh. Father and son?
是可汗太太吗
Mrs. Khan?
我是贾维德的朋友
I'm friends with Javed.
大家晚上好
Good evening, everyone.
欢迎来到这个特殊的夜晚
Welcome to a very special evening,
表彰最好的卢顿六年级生
celebrating the very best of Luton Sixth Form College.
待会有招待会请大家留一下
Please do stay around afterwards for a reception.
美酒和食物都会相继呈上
The Chardonnay and Twiglets will be flowing.
现在我想请贾维德·可汗
And now I would like to begin with Javed Khan
阅读"卢顿的叛逃美国梦"
reading an extract from
的节选
"A Runaway American Dream in Luton."
激动人心啊
Exciting. Whoops.
爸爸 听这个
Dad, listen to this, yeah?
谢谢
Thanks.
根据布鲁斯·斯普林斯汀最出名的专辑中
Bruce Springsteen was,
他自己所言
to quote the album he is most famous for,
他出生于美国
born in the USA,
但他在全球各地都有粉丝 包括我
but he has fans around the world, including me.
我并非出生于美国
I was not born in the USA,
我也不是长在新泽西的艾斯博瑞公园
and I grew up not in Asbury Park, New Jersey,
而是在卢顿的伯里公园
but Bury Park, Luton.
但斯普林斯汀能引起我共鸣的原因是
But the reason I connected with Springsteen
他所唱的和捍卫的
is because what he sings about and champions
并不只是美国的价值观
are not only American values
而是全人类最美好的价值观
but are the best of human values.
他说要努力工作 坚持梦想
He talks about working hard and holding on to your dreams
不要被现实的荆棘所阻挡
and not letting the hardness of the world
要发出属于自己的最亮的光
stop you from letting the best of you slip away.
这些言语中
In these words,
我看到了斯普林斯汀
I see a bridge between Springsteen
和我亚洲血统之间的桥梁
and my own Asian upbringing.
这边走
Just this way.
这就是为什么斯普林斯汀的
And that is why the music and values
美式音乐与价值观
of Springsteen's American dream
能够触碰到一个来自
can reach and touch a boy from...
不好意思 我觉得我不能再读下去了
I'm sorry. I don't know if I can read this.
你可以的 继续
You can. Go on.
我写的时候对我写的每个字都深信不疑
When I wrote it, I really believed every word, but now...
而我写下来到现在 中间发生了很多事
A lot has happened since I wrote those words.
当时我认为布鲁斯·斯普林斯汀就是答案
Then, I thought Bruce Springsteen was the answer
我只需要按照他的话去做就好
and all I had to do was live by his words.
而现在我觉得不再是了
I don't think that's true anymore.
布鲁斯·斯普林斯汀跟随他的梦想
Bruce Springsteen got out of New Jersey
离开了新泽西
by following his dream.
他唱道
Bruce sings,
"梦想成真岂不美哉
"If dreams came true, well, wouldn't that be nice?
但今夜的一切并非幻梦
But this ain't no dream we're living through tonight.
若要抓住就伸手 若要追梦就远游
If you want it, you take it, and you pay the price."
所以我要问的问题是 我能远游吗
So the question I'm asking is: Can I pay that price?
有梦想并不意味着我是一个不孝子
I know having dreams doesn't make me a bad son.
我清楚地知道我所有的一切
I also know that everything I am
都来自于我父母的奉献
is because of the sacrifices my mum and dad made.
我父亲有些与众不同
My dad's not a typical dad.
我们之间没有风趣的对话
We don't have jokey chats.
他不像你们在电视上看到的父亲
He's not like the dad you see on telly.
大多数时候他对这世界极尽愤慨
A lot of the time, he seems pretty angry at the world.
我觉得布鲁斯·斯普林斯汀应该懂我爸爸
I think Bruce Springsteen would understand my dad,
因为我和他的父亲都出身贫寒
cause like his father, they both came from poor backgrounds,
都在工厂中辛苦劳作
both worked hard in factories,
都有无法实现的幻梦
both had dreams that never came true,
让他们对现实怒不可遏
which left them angry.
他们也都有一个想要能
And they both had sons who wanted the chance
令他们自豪的儿子
to make them proud.
布鲁斯有一首歌♥叫做"光盲青春"
Bruce has a song called "Blinded by the Light."
我第一次听到的时候 我觉得
And when I first heard it, I thought...
我以为那是关于爱的
I thought it was about love
关于我们如何被
and being blinded by the love
情欲与贪妄蒙蔽双眼
we might have for a girl or money.
但昨夜 我又听了一遍
But last night, I listened to it again.
布鲁斯所说的远比这些要多
And Bruce is saying so much more.
我第一次听见它时我被蒙蔽了双眼
I was blinded by the light when I first heard Springsteen
因为当时我只在想
because I was only thinking, in that moment,
我和斯普林斯汀
about Springsteen and me.
但我们不只有自己
But we're not all just individuals.
我们还有朋友
We have friends...
有家人
and family...
我们不该忽视他们的想法
and what they think does matter.
没有他们的成功不算成功
Success without them isn't really success.
被蒙蔽说明我无法看到
Being blinded meant I couldn't see
我有多爱我爸爸 他有多爱我
how much I am like my dad and my dad is like me.
我知道这样的爱永远不会离开我
And as much as I wanted to leave Luton,
正如我永远无法离开卢顿
I understand that it will never leave me.
布鲁斯说 大家好才是真的好
Bruce says no one wins unless everybody wins.
我希望能够达成我的夙愿
My hope is to build a bridge to my ambitions
而并非远离我的家人
but not a wall between my family and me.
这就是我的梦想
That's my dream.
我在卢顿的
My American dream.
美国梦
In Luton.
漂亮
Bravo!
我很抱歉
I'm so sorry.
我发疯似的想你
I've missed you like mad.
正如奔流的河川不知奔向何处
Like a river that don't know where it's flowing,
你拐进了错误的峡湾 只得继续前行
you took a wrong turn and you just kept going.
但每个人都有一颗饥渴的心
But everybody's got a hungry heart.
每个人都有一颗饥渴的心
Everybody's got a hungry heart.
你跟我家里人说了吗
You told my family, didn't you?
谢谢
Thank you.
现在去跟你♥爸♥爸说吧
Now go and speak to your dad.
儿子
Beta.
我为你感到骄傲
I'm so proud of you.
谢谢 来 拿着这个
Thanks. Here, take this.
小莎
Shaz.
你真是太棒了
You did so good.
干得漂亮 我给你拿杯水
Well done. I'll get you a drink.
-您好 -你好
- Hello. - Hello.
您好 您肯定就是贾维德的父亲了
Hi. You must be Javed's father.
您肯定对他感到非常骄傲
You should be so proud of Javed.
克蕾女士 谢谢你做的一切
Thanks, Miss Clay, for everything.
不 是你自己 你是作者
Oh. Well, you did the work. You're the writer.
儿子
Son...
这个布鲁斯·斯普林斯汀
This Bruce Springsteen,
你确定他是美国人吗
are you sure he's American?
是的 也不是犹太人
Yes. And not Jewish.
我读过他写的歌♥
I read his songs.
电影精选列表