In an English way.
胡说些什么呢 温洛克
What nonsense, Winlock.
她一直都漂亮
She's beautiful.
你不得不承认这一点
Even you must be able to see that.
那你会把钱投在哪
So, where do you put your money?
他还能再挖一季吗
Does he get another season?
还是这就完了
Or is the jig up?
我会更加...
I'll be more than happ...
打断一下 卡特先生 你找到什么东西了吗
Forgive me Mr. Carter, but have you found anything?
这么多年 你一直都
Anything at all in the
在赌的这场挖掘 你找到什么了吗
several years you've been pursuing this venture?
夫人 我们... 我们已经找到了一大堆资料
My Lady, we... we....we have found a great deal of material.
我们在做的
It is best to think of what
是一场马拉松 而不是短跑冲刺
we do as a marathon, as opposed to a sprint.
你必须相信我
You must trust me.
- 我很确信... - 卡特先生
- I am confident for the inter... - Mr. Carter!
卡特先生
Mr. Carter!
抱歉 夫人 勋爵大人
Forgive me, Lady, Lord.
塞利姆
Selim?
我们在六号♥沟发现了什么
We think we have something in trench six.
请过来
Please. Come.
- 这边 夫人 - 好的
- This way, Lady. - Yes, of course.
看 鹰
Look! Eagle!
这是个好兆头 有好运
Very good sign. It's good luck.
也许... 夫人能亲自来体验一下
Perhaps... Lady would do the honour?
- 是啊 真是个好主意 - 是吗...
- Yes. That's a jolly good idea. - Really? Oh...
好 诀窍是要尽可能的轻柔
Right, the trick is to... just be as gentle as possible.
把尘土扫掉 就像这样
Remove the excess and there you are.
这上面写了什么
What does all this say?
那是法老拉美西斯二世的长方形图案
That is the cartouche of the Pharaoh Rameses the Second.
那里 没错 是他的儿子 麦伦普塔赫
And there, yes there, his son, Merneptah.
夫人 这件文物完好无损
My Lady, it's perfect.
毫无瑕疵
Immaculate.
珀奇
Porchy.
现在你知道为什么让你来了
Well, now you see why we needed you here.
你一进沟里 卡特就时来运转了
You step into the trench and Carter's luck's turns.
夫人 这里面可能还有更多
Lady, I believe there may be more!
珀奇
Porchy!
珀奇
Porchy!
真是太走运了 正好挖到了它们
What a wonderful stroke of luck, turning them up like that.
那么的及时
Just in the nick of time.
但演一次就够了 你说呢
But one stunt like that is enough, wouldn't you say?
所以真♥相♥是 你根本一无所获
So the unvarnished truth is, you've found nothing.
因为我们一直都挖错地方了
Because we're digging in the wrong place.
不不不 我们已经讨论过了
No, no, no. We've been over this.
帝王谷的中心已经挖空了
The centre of the Valley's a non-starter.
戴维斯十年前就在里面倒腾了
Davis practically camped out there for a decade.
如果还有墓没被发现
If the tomb hasn't been found,
肯定就是在人们还没找过的地方
it surely means it's hidden where people haven't been looking.
就在悬崖附近
And that means up by the cliffs.
不能一直挖下去 我们必须提高几率
Can't keep digging forever. We have to maximise our chances.
你说的没错 我理解
You're quite right. I understand.
但你没有考虑到法老本身
But that's not taking into account the man himself.
可我了解他
Now, I know this man.
他都不是成年人 卡特 就是个孩子
He wasn't a man, Carter. He was a boy.
不是像拉美西斯那样伟大的法老
Not a great pharaoh like Rameses.
所以小墓就藏在山谷的周围
So a small tomb hidden away at the edge of the Valley,
这样就说得通了 对吗
makes better sense, doesn't it?
也许吧
Perhaps.
但听着 他把他的子民从阿玛尔纳迁过来
But look, he brought his people all the way from Amarna.
还把他的家人挖出来 带到这里
He brought his family too,
然后又重新埋下去
he had them exhumed and reburied.
你不觉得 那就是一个声明吗
Now, don't you see? That is a declaration.
告诉世界
A statement to the world.
说没错 我的父亲是异教♥徒♥ 但他还是我的父亲
It says, yes, my father was a heretic but he was still my father
在我的余生 我还是要他在我身边
and I will have him standing beside me in the afterlife.
那可不是一个胆小的孩子
Now, that is not the voice
能干出来的事 完全不像
of a boy who's afraid. It's simply not!
那是一个法老的样子 一个果断 有信念的成人
It is the voice of a pharaoh, a man of decision and conviction.
一个不会躲在山谷周围的
And a pharaoh would not
阴影之中的法老的样子
skulk in the shadows at the edge of the Valley.
他就在那里
He would be there.
在中心
At the centre.
不 抱歉 卡特 你知道我相信你 但...
No. I'm sorry, Carter. You know I trust you but...
事实是 我们已经负担不起了
The truth is, the estate is all but entailed
我们没有钱再去冒那种...
and I simply don't have the money to risk everything on...
不能叫心血来潮 我们叫希望吧
Well, I won't call it a whim. A hope, let's say.
我们必须挖几率最大的地方
We have to dig where the chances are best.
碰碰运气
Play the odds.
我还有多久的时间
How long do I have, exactly?
就这一季
This season.
那没什么时间了
That's hardly any time at all.
也没什么钱了 卡特
There's hardly any money, Carter.
我只能这样
It's the best I can do.
你把地毯磨通了会有用吗
Is wearing out the carpet going to help?
我以前从来没有地毯
I've never had a carpet before.
也不知道该怎么对待它们
Not quiet sure how one is supposed to treat them.
人们开始说闲话了
People are starting to talk.
关于我们吗
About us?
不 你的挖掘
No. About your dig.
你还在找那东西吗
Are you still looking for the same thing?
没错 还在找
Yes. Still looking.
还要找多久
For how much longer?
我不知道
I don't know.
我已经被叫停了
I've been cut off.
直到月末 我都有足够的钱支付给工人
I have enough money to pay the men until the end of the month.
之后呢 恐怕就不知道该怎么办了
After that, I'm afraid I don't quite know what I'm going to do.
在戴维斯死之前 我和他在美国聊过
I spoke to Davis in America, before he died.
他想让你来为我们工作
He wanted you to come and work for us.
在大都会博物馆
At the Met.
所以 我的问题是...
So, my question is...
万一你这少年国王不在那呢
What if this boy king of yours isn't out there?
万一... 我知道你没想过...
What if... and I know you don't want to think this way...
但万一你错了呢
but what if you're wrong?
就算是名伟大的考古学家
Even a great archaeologist
也不能凭空找出一座古墓
can't find what's not there.
戴维斯找到的那座墓...
That tomb that Davis found...
那不是墓
That wasn't a tomb.
那就是个空房♥间
That was an empty room.
我说这个的原因 就是邀请还有效
The only reason I'm saying it is the offer still stands.
大都会博物馆需要一名挖掘负责人
The Metropolitan Museum needs an excavation director
他们认为你非常合适
and they would look on you very favourably.
我明白了
Oh, I see.
这个任命不是短期的
It wouldn't just be one or two seasons here and there.
而是永久的
It would be a permanent appointment.
有合适的工资 一份事业
A proper salary. A career.
而且你可以自己做决定 想去哪就去哪
And you could call your own shots. Go wherever you wanted.
卡纳克神庙 底比斯 迈锡尼
Karnak, Thebes, Mycenae.
我能帮忙 能和你一起去
I could help. I could go with you.
这对我们来说 都是新的开始
It could be a new start, for both of us.
你能考虑一下吗
Will you think it over?
当然
Of course.
- 睡觉吗 - 待会儿
- Come to bed? - In a minute.
我以为卡特一辈子都不会穿晚礼服
I never thought I'd see Carter in a dress coat.
- 很适合他 你觉得呢 - 有模有样的
- It suits him, don't you think? - He looks almost respectable.
他再也不住在墓里了
He's not living in his tomb any more.
我一直以为战争期间
I've been imagining him
他都住在这里 但他搬出去了
in there during the war. But he's moved out.
我帮他找了间屋子
I helped him find a house.
你真好
That was good of you.
看在他要来替我们工作的份上 这是最基本的